Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Lwin

Lwin is on a distinguished road
Default Dirk's Little Secret (music)

This was originally linked on Fark. Not everyone reads that, so I'd figure I'd post this here.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues...usic_full.html

Dirk's Little Secret
In an exclusive investigative report, we discover another all-star facet to the main Mav
By Jesse Hughey
Article Published Mar 30, 2006

[UPDATE, 04-01-06: The link to the song in question has now been added to the end of the article.]

At first glance, Dirk Nowitzki's iPod doesn't seem particularly special in an age when everybody owns one. It's the newest Nano version, 4 GB of memory, in a leather case. Stock earbuds. But it holds an untitled song, tucked away in a folder labeled "Personal," that has gotten some attention the NBA All-Star may never have expected.

In February, sports columnist Richie Whitt's story ("Dork Nowitzki," Feb. 23) revealed that the Dallas Mavericks' star forward loves classic rock and "dabbles" on the guitar. Nothing too wild, but the Dallas Observer's music section decided to follow up on his musical interests after getting an indirect hint from Whitt.

At one point during the interview, Whitt asked to see the "Most Played" list on Nowitzki's iPod. They listened to the top 10 through a pair of portable speakers as the Dunking Deutschman explained himself.

No. 1 was AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long."

"That one gets me pumped up," Nowitzki explained. "I listen to it in the gym, especially, and sometimes before a game. AC/DC just has this raw energy that I try to tap into."

Next in line was Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter."

"This is probably my favorite Zeppelin song," Nowitzki said. "I love the way Robert Plant sings on the soft part. But when that lead comes in--Duh nuh nunna nunna, duh nuh nunna nunna--man, that's the best. If I get stressed during road trips, I'll lay in bed with my eyes closed, listening to that, and it just kind of clears my head."

The No. 3 spot was held down by "Hair," from the original cast recording of Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical. Uhh, Dirk?

"Oh, that," Nowitzki laughed. "Stevie [Nash, former Dallas Maverick who now plays for the Phoenix Suns] used to always make a big deal about my hair, especially when I cut it. I played that to make fun of him since he was always a pretty boy himself, and I opened that song again when I saw him in that silly GQ article the other week."

Up next was an untitled track. Whitt didn't recognize it and asked who it was.

"Oh, that's nothing," Nowitzki said. "I saved it by mistake. Let's go to the next one."

After the interview, Whitt pestered him about the song, hoping for some scoop about an emotional, nostalgic tune. To his surprise, Nowitzki owned up to an entirely different notion: He was recording some songs on a four-track Steve Nash had given him a few years ago and saved one on his iPod to play for Nash before the Mavs' next game against the Phoenix Suns. Whitt wheedled him into handing over a copy of the work-in-progress, a CD demo tucked into his workout bag, which he later dropped off at the Observer offices with neither a label nor a recommendation. We eventually stumbled upon it.

The simple label--"The Dirk Nowitzki Trans-Contintental Express" written in Sharpie--seemed like a bad band name by some teenagers in Plano, so the Observer staff put the CD in the changer for a quick laugh. But the deep, unmistakable German accent that opened the first song, "Devil's in Dallas," proved this CD was either an elaborate hoax...or a huge deal.

After a slowly strummed acoustic guitar intro, a full-scale rock attack came out of the speakers. We could hear some obvious influences--the Who, Slayer, Creedence--but nothing in the swirl of guitars, keyboards and passionate cries could be classified as a direct lift. It was both immediately amazing and frustrating--once we heard Dirk's voice, we figured this would be another terrible music project by an athlete (as if Terrell Owens hasn't made that prejudice clear in his recent move to Dallas), but try as we might, we couldn't convince ourselves that the song was half-baked. Someone with such a deadly three-point shot can't have time outside the gym to develop guitar skills that would put everyone else in Dallas to shame, can they?

Apparently, Dirk can. Whitt took the humble hoopster at his word when hewrote that Nowitzki simply "dabbles" on the instrument, but the guy is flat-out awesome. After making a few phone calls to former teammates who were willing to talk about the secret musical project, (well, honestly, just Popeye Jones), we learned that the multi-talented 7-footer plays all his backing tracks himself. With the exception of a few guest musicians, he multi-tracks drums, bass and the occasional keyboard flourish or sample all by himself, like some pale behemoth version of John Dufilho or Will Johnson.

And Dirk runs and jumps up and down the court, genre-wise. There's a lot of grimy hard rock and some bluesy old riffs he somehow makes sound new; then there's a folk song with Dirk solo on acoustic guitar, along with a pogoing punk rave-up that cuts off halfway--an error on the CD we wish wasn't there, based on the intensity of the song, titled "The Little General."

The only thing more stirring than the instrumentation is the heart and soul Nowitzki pours into the lyrics. "Courtside" details how pointless and dreary he seems to think his career is, hollow and full of frauds and sycophants. It's a furious '70s hard rock anthem with a chorus straight from the blog of NBA 12th man Paul Shirley at his most depressed: "Come watch me play a child's game/Come cheer your millionaires on/Watch for hours that you'll never get back/Admire our skills and our brawn." The next verse goes on to describe what happens off the court: "Randy Galloway's lazy questions/Asks me 'How will you keep up the intensity?'/And the gold-digging fans with their bleached seductions/Paternity suits in every city."

He also teams with buddy Nash on one song, "Screw the Pick and Roll, Gimme Rock 'n' Roll." Nash, who mentions his love of Radiohead in just about every interview, channels Jonny Greenwood's jack-of-all-trades instrumental creativity. The musical partnership could have turned out to be a boring Radiohead clone (who needs another Kid B like Elbow?), but Nash transcends that band's influence to create some really unique keyboard and guitar noise as his one-time teammate sings about how true friendship and the love of music are stronger than distance, time and Western Conference rivalry.

Strangely, the rock-loving Dirk even dabbles in hip-hop. The song, "Reppin' My Mavs for Real (Get in My Grill and I'll Fadeaway Jump)," would have been his entry to the team's playoff theme song contest had the rules not barred current Mavericks employees from entering. It easily puts Owens' MC skills to shame and even bumps Shaquille "Shaq Diesel" O'Neal down to the No. 2 spot on the list of "Most Talented 7-foot NBA Rappers." The strong track is probably the reason why Mavs point guard Jason Terry recently announced the signing of D-Now to his Atlanta-based Reason Records label.

Rumor has it 2929 Entertainment, the media company owned by Mavs owner Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner, has been filming Dirk behind the scenes for a documentary that will be released in theaters and on DVD simultaneously, a plan that has sparked ire in both the MPAA and NBA Players Association.

And in a move that will make them--and Dirk--even angrier, the Observer's Web site, dallasobserver.com, will be the exclusive host to one of the songs on Saturday, April 1, 2006. Log in on that very special day to listen to history.
Lwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm....Host the first exclusive on April 1st.... Go figure
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Lwin

Lwin is on a distinguished road

Article Published Mar 30, 2006, for those questioning it's validitude (even though it might be fake anyway)

The song is in the original article.

Last edited by Lwin; 04-01-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Lwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

"Courtside in the paint, fadeaway in your face...courtside in the paint, fadeaway in your face....
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That has to be an April Fools Joke. If not, I feel sorry for Dirk because that is some awful singing.

Courtside something, something, fade-away in your face.....

Ummmm.... Observer.... not funny. Kind of pathetic.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Maybe the past three games were part of the joke...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

i like the song titles, they seem pretty funny. its kind of lame tho
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

that mp3 HAS to be a joke. I loved the article and it seemed legit. the entire time I was reading it, I was thinking to myself, "man, Dirk is just the coolest guy on the planet!" then I listened to the song. ugh. PLEASE let it be fake!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Maybe the past three games were part of the joke...
Yeah, no joke, I'd love Stern to make an announcement that the past 3 games taken place needed to be redone... the NBA was just kidding...
Old 04-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
that mp3 HAS to be a joke. I loved the article and it seemed legit. the entire time I was reading it, I was thinking to myself, "man, Dirk is just the coolest guy on the planet!" then I listened to the song. ugh. PLEASE let it be fake!
Well exactly what would you expect here? If that's dirk hat's off to him, I've heard worse, not much, but worse.

Last edited by dude1394; 04-01-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

there's no doubt that it's a hoax.

notice that the song itself was later added, presumably to prove just that.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

Yea...I'm sure it's a hoax as well, but funny...
Old 04-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

the music was actually pretty good, if he played it. I know he is pretty good. But when he started singing it sounded like the song a few years back

Du, Du Hast, Du Hast Meish.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

does any one know where i can buy this on CD???/
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

the pic of him w/ the guitar is totally photoshopped

props to observer for creativity, if i was dirk id be laughin my head off, except for, you know, a 3 game losin skid
Old 04-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #16
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4 track recorder:$250
good guitar:$800

this song: priceless

i like when he's talking "randy galloway......"
Old 04-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

According to Gordo..Dirk still hasn't given him his guitar back...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
According to Gordo..Dirk still hasn't given him his guitar back...
I think I heard dirk with Gordo and he said that he had left it somewhere in the sun and it was destroyed. Like in a car and it was all warped.

He promised him another, but I guess he hasn't come across.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #19
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

somebody email this to galloway and company

i want to see what his drunk ass has to say about it on Monday.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:22 AM   #20
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

who would know?

i mean, does anyone actually listen to Galloway & Co.?

last I heard the Ticket was still here, and they rein supreme for local sports radio.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:33 AM   #21
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
the music was actually pretty good, if he played it. I know he is pretty good. But when he started singing it sounded like the song a few years back
Exactly what I felt....
Old 04-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasCowboy
who would know?

i mean, does anyone actually listen to Galloway & Co.?

last I heard the Ticket was still here, and they rein supreme for local sports radio.
If you want any mavericks information, it's galloway. He usually has stein, cooperstein, followill on the show almost daily. Avery on friday.. I've heard more mavericks talk there in a month than I do on the ticket.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #23
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
That has to be an April Fools Joke. If not, I feel sorry for Dirk because that is some awful singing.

Courtside something, something, fade-away in your face.....

Ummmm.... Observer.... not funny. Kind of pathetic.
'Pathetic' is a word I frequently use to describe the Observer. What a piece of crap that thing is, week in and week out. Dallas is the 5th place I've lived with a free weekly like that (Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin), and it's the first place I've lived where I get my entertainment news from the regular paper instead of the free weekly, because it's just that bad. Not surprising they'd have some stupid crap like this in there.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #24
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i like the ticket, but i always listen to GAC when im in texas. he has some really good stuff on the rangers too