Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Are the Mavs losing it?

Are the Mavs losing it?

Spark, mojo, defense is missing, and it's coming at the wrong time

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks haven't conceded yet. But their chances of winning the Western Conference are basically gone because of their disastrous 1-3 road trip.

While the Mavericks were dive-bombing in the east, the San Antonio Spurs went 3-2 on their western trip. Barring a huge reversal, the No. 1 seed is gone.

Might the Mavericks have lost more than that? Have they lost their mojo, with no guarantee it will magically reappear in the next three weeks before the playoffs begin?

That fear could be part of the reason for coach Avery Johnson's cross words after Friday's loss at Orlando. He went ballistic within earshot of reporters, players, assistant coaches and support personnel. It was the kind of reaction that could get players fined.

Part of the frustration stems from the fact that the Mavericks clearly don't have the spark they did in building a 45-11 record. Since then, they are 9-8 and have absorbed confidence-rattling losses to San Antonio, Phoenix and Detroit, considered the three favorites for the NBA crown.

With vastly improved Denver invading American Airlines Center today (2:30 p.m. tip), it won't be easy for the Mavericks to break their three-game losing streak – the longest of Johnson's tenure.

On Saturday, about 16 hours after he uncorked the loud and angry outburst, Johnson said he did not feel like he got too emotional. He preferred to focus on the onus that is squarely on his team to turn around its fortunes.

"It's good, because it tells a lot about who we are," he said of their predicament. "You look at what's happened to a lot of teams that have won the championship. They've all experienced some sort of adversity.

"We've been in thicker situations than we are now," Johnson said. "I keep referring back to last year when we were down 0-2 in the playoffs, and everybody wrote us off. I didn't bail on them then, and I'm not bailing out on them now. We've made a lot of improvements, and all of that doesn't go down the drain when you've lost a game or two."

Or three.

Owner Mark Cuban said he understands why Johnson went off on his team, and Jason Terry in particular, after the 108-99 loss to the Magic.

"I think he was trying to wake a few guys up," Cuban said. "Jason just happened to be the first guy he talked to. I'm fine with it. We do need to wake up and start all doing our jobs with the energy required."

Despite a monster March by captain Dirk Nowitzki, the Mavericks must address many problems: guarding penetration, rebounding better and trimming minutes for some players who have been overworked during the injury crunch.

"It's about everybody being accountable on the defensive end, and I think he's trying to challenge each one of us," Nowitzki said of Johnson. "It's a tough time for all of us. We said all year we're capable of winning it all. But we got to prove it every night."

Van Horn hurt again: Keith Van Horn suffered a right thumb injury against Orlando. X-rays taken after the game were inconclusive. Van Horn, who was evaluated by team physician Dr. T.O. Souryal on Saturday, will have his status for today determined at game time.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Coach seeks more from 'top' players

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Avery Johnson needs more. He's pushing and prodding, and for now, it's not working.

"For me there's a little trick there in trying to find the right button to push and when to push it," the Mavericks coach said Saturday. "As a coach you've got to discipline, you've got to be hard sometimes [and] sometimes you've got to back off."

The Mavericks (54-19) are backtracking. The three-game losing streak they're lugging into today's 2:30 p.m. matchup with Denver at American Airlines Center doesn't sit well with Johnson.

And that's not only because it's the longest losing streak of his career. Johnson is frustrated beyond the locker room tirade that followed Friday's 108-99 loss at Orlando.

Johnson categorized the outburst as not being more emotional than normal. What the fiery and demanding coach wants more than anything is more from his "top" players.

Dirk Nowitzki has been doing his share, becoming one of just six 7-footers in NBA history to average at least 30 points in March while playing in at least 15 games.

But Nowitzki alone can't carry the Mavs, who finished the month 9-8. The team only lost seven games combined in December, January and February.

"Obviously, we're facing some tough times right now," Nowitzki said. "Probably the toughest time of the year so far."

The play of several of Nowitzki's teammates, most notably Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse, has been inconsistent. Terry and Stackhouse are two of the players most qualified to step up while others have been out with injuries.

Terry understood Johnson's dissatisfaction, especially after being torched repeatedly by Orlando point guard Jameer Nelson.

"I've just got to take more responsibility on leading the team instead of just being out there," Terry said. "As a point guard I need to be a lot more vocal. I've got to definitely lead by example."

Johnson took a leadership role late in his career as a reserve with the Mavs, much as Darrell Armstrong is doing now. But that only goes so far, Johnson said.

He needs it from the guys "out there in the war and not on the sidelines."

Johnson said the downturn can be cured with better defensive focus and intensity. And having a number of key players out with injuries can't be ignored, even if Johnson refuses to use it as an excuse.

Though his record remains a sparkling 70-21, the Mavs have faced adversity before under Johnson. They dropped the first two games at home against Houston in the playoffs last season, only to come back and win the first-round series in seven games.

"We've had too many highs and too many good things happen during our season to let a little bump in the road change our focus on what we're trying to do," Stackhouse said. "We've got nine games left, and it'll be good to kind of just start from here and forget what happened up to this point."

Briefly

Marquis Daniels (strained neck) is doubtful against Denver, while Adrian Griffin (hamstring) is questionable.

The Mavs haven't lost four in row since December 17-23, 2003.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I've just got to take more responsibility on leading the team instead of just being out there," Terry said. "As a point guard I need to be a lot more vocal. I've got to definitely lead by example."
This was a problem in the waning seconds of Game Six last year, when evidently no one on the floor knew what to do with those last six or seven seconds.

Sad that it's still a problem now. If it hasn't been fixed in close to a year, I don't have a lot of faith that it will now get fixed in a couple weeks.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Terry should start setting examples by just playing better defense, that alone would give the Mavs a lift.
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

i agree w/ digit. its not rocket science, and anything would be better than what we're getting recently.

in defense of the mavs, when youre tired defense is the first thing to go. your footwork slows down. you can always run down the court and throw up a shot, but it takes a lot more to keep your man in front of you, not fall for fakes, etc.

im starting to think KVH and Quis dont like playing hard-nosed ball for avery and are wimpin out
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I am SO sick of Keith Van Hurt! What does it take for him and Daniels to stay on the Fing court!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I am SO sick of Keith Van Hurt! What does it take for him...to stay on the Fing court!
Another 6 year, $73 mm contract?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Hes not worth keeping, I dont care how good a role player he is for the team he can be replaced and with that expiring contract he would have been a great piece to trade. He really just doesnt have that killer instinct that wants to win... and its bringing this team down with his constant injuries.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I think the Mavs just made the first article irrelevant.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that it was written by Sefko makes it irrelevant to begin with.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
orangedays
Platinum Member

Good point.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

No.