Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-12-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all
Default How To Name A Dog

How To Name A Dog

It may be surprising, but more than half (50%) of all Pet Names
are either human names or nicknames. People largely name their
animals as they would name themselves.

Another fifth (20%) of names are based on the Pets appearance or
personality. A black cat becomes Blacky or Midnight, and active
dog Comet or Dash.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How To Name A Dog

I don't have a pet, but my kids name their stuffed animals after the type of animal it is....

Therefore a stuffed bear becomes Beary, a stuffed cat becomes catty, they have a frog named froggy, etc...

Occasionally a little more creativity comes into play, my youngest daughter named her stuffed black Bear Blackie. She loves that thing so much we got her an identical one which was bigger (she kept losing Blackie jr.) which she aptly named...... Blackie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

And the Barbie dolls.... all of them.... are named whatever girlie name they are fond of at the time.

I took the liberty of naming the Tinky Winky (of Teletubbie fame) doll Funny Boy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

My dogs have been:

- Oso and osa (Bear and She Bear).

- Whiskey

- Duque (Duke)

- Frida ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])
Old 09-12-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Our puppy's name is Heartland's Full of Baloney

We call him Oscar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My aunt raises goldens, and her kennel name is Heartland. The theme of this litter was the term "full" so we came up with different phrases and such. this one stuck and i can't imagine him as anything but an Oscar.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

My Grandparents used to raise dachsunds. I've got one named bandit, because the dark circles around his eyes were really pronounced when he was a pup.
And then there's my 3 year old sister's basset, Sunshine. she single-handedly picked her, named her, and did all the negotiating to get to keep her.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

My first dog was an Austrialian Shepard I named Pepper cause that was the color of his coat.

Second dog was a Rottie I named Onyx cause he was a real dark pup.

Third dog was named Raiden cause Sub-Zero would've sounded kinda stupid.

My third dog was a mut I named Peeowetee, cause I was 17 and into weed, parents never figured that one out. Although I got that idea from an ex-girlfriend who named her dog Deeowegee.

Fourth and fifth dogs were named Onyx and Raiden cause they were also Rotts.

My latest mut is named...dang...how sad, I'm drawing a blank, must be all the peeowetee I smoked in HS.

I'm not kidding, it's been two minutes and I can't think if his stupid name!

Three minutes......

It's not Rascal or Petei.....four minutes....

Well at least I know my four kids names!

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

My parents always used the Theme Flintstones with their dogs. One is Yabba Dabba and the other is Dino. They also have another dog named Daisy, but she was already named when they got her.

Growing up I had a dog named D.A. which means "Dumbass" but everybody just called him D.A. When he was young, my dad was always getting fed up with teaching him and one day he just said "dumbass" and he perked up and did what he was told. lol After that the name stuck and he was one of the smartest dogs that I have ever known. He is still the only dog that I know that you could feed MEAT too and tell him to spit it out and he would. You could even tell him to leave it alone and go to bed and it would still be there the next morning. Than tell him good boy and he would eat it than. Damn I miss D.A. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

My dogs are named Toby and Pheebee. My Fiancee named Toby and I don't know why, and Pheebee was already named when we rescued her.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:46 PM   #8
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

my two dogs named after my favorite beverages. Coro and Bud
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

We originally named our dog Hunter, I don't remember why, but he didn't seem to respond to it so we changed it the same day to Lucky b/c my brother just finished watching 101 Dalmations.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:09 PM   #10
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

U2, youre little girls sound similar to mine in that sense. All her toys are named after their colour..then what they are. For example...a pink bear. "What's his name?""Pink Bear". If we have two pink bears, it's resolved by added a little or a big to their name [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Although she did inform me yesterday that her rocking horse is called "Mousey" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Animals...well when we were growing up, we had a dog, Dusty..who my dad named after Dusty Springfield. Up until recently we had a cat called Clive...he was called that because he was fat...and there was a fat guy on a cooking show who used to eat all the food all the time called Clive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Currently, our fish, Motorcycle Boy is named after Mickey Rourke's character in Rumble Fish...because he's a rumble fish (siamese fighting fish)

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 06:35 AM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

1) Two-syllable names, pent-ultimate syllabic stress preferred.

2) Long, open vowels.

3) Avoid fricatives and syllibants.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:44 PM   #12
dalmav1341-2

dalmav1341-2 is on a distinguished road

Try to avoid naming a dog after something you like "at the moment"...That's like getting a tatoo with your girlfriend of the week's name on it. I named my dog KJ 10 years ago after Kevin Johnson of the Phoenix Suns...Well, the dog wasn't even housebroken before his career ended....oh Well... But KJ the dog is still goin......
dalmav1341-2 is offline   Reply With Quote