Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-13-2003, 12:38 AM   #1
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default What music makes you cringe?

There's been a thread about what music everyone is listening to, so why not this?
What do you hate. What gets under your skin so much you'd drop a cup of coffee in your lap to get to the radio and change the station?
for me:
Boy Bands, Death metal, and Carly Simon

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

way too much to list.
I think i'm what's commonly refered to as a "music snob".
That said, I have become a little less passionate about my hate
of crappy music in my old age.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:20 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Rap. It's only a "C" away from being accurately named. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:26 AM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What music makes you cringe?

I absolutely, absolutely hate, hate, hate, hate, hate goshdarned Mozart and Chopin piano pieces. Few things make me as irritable and angry as being subjected to maudlin, ornate piano pieces...
Old 09-13-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

anything on Lawrence Welk show....ugh
Old 09-13-2003, 05:20 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Bad: anything boomed from a cheap car stereo

Worse: anything boomed from an expensive car stereo
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:45 AM   #7
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Modern country music is simply horrific. It is-- as opposed to the old greatness of Cash, Kline, Williams, etc.-- nothing more than a pile of over-produced crap.

Plus, it's never a good sign that I can figure out what the next line of a country song will be-- when I haven't heard the song before. Lyrics so cliched I can anticipate the next line? Scary.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:03 AM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

60s-70s music. With the exception of Jimmy Hendrix, it was vastly overrated.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:07 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
I'll alert the Stones, the Beatles, and the Who.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:11 AM   #10
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

most country music
Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Country and Rock music. I can stand some rock but when you start yelling on the microphone till' I don't understand what your saying i'm through with it lol.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:02 AM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Heavy metal.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 AM   #13
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

salsa also
Old 09-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Boy bands like N'Sync and the like.
All the singers cut out of the Britney Spears mold.
Techno music (it all sounds the same, I liked it at first, but it's creativity potential has been exhausted)
Glam rock.
Anything by Dave Matthews (that was a rib at my wife, so please don't get offended)
Old 09-13-2003, 01:24 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Techno music (it all sounds the same, I liked it at first, but it's creativity potential has been exhausted)
Kind of agree.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #16
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Since both Lawrence Welk and overproduced crap have been brought up.....
I was listening to Kenny G give a radio interview (He was talking to Dave Koz, so i forgave myself eventually) and he said he first got the desire to play the saxophone when he saw someone in Lawrence Welk's band play one. All I could say was "how appropriate."

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:01 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

boy bands, rap..well, i guess rap isn't really a legitimate musical genre
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #18
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

I can't stand punk music. They all just yell the same things.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i guess you could throw in heavy, heavy rock..salsa, most r&b and most punk
Old 09-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
i guess you could throw in heavy, heavy rock..salsa, most r&b and most punk

Not a music fan at all Murph?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:34 PM   #21
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Most country, really hard punk rock is just stupid, and a lot of techno is just pointless to me
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:17 PM   #22
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

man..i take back what i said about being a music snob.

how do you people sleep at night!? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I realised all though i hate a lot of things, i rarely hate a whole
genre. A certain rock artist could be my favourite favourite thing in the world...doesn't mean
I like all rock artists...oh no, i hate my fair share of rock. There probably has to be atleast one song in ever genre that i like....except maybe salsa [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] (i don't think genres i don't know exist really count [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:16 PM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Rap, "new" punk, country, pop...I guess that narrows it down a bit.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:45 AM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What about Clapton?

I love music, so nothing makes me cringe.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #25
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
There's been a thread about what music everyone is listening to, so why not this?
What do you hate. What gets under your skin so much you'd drop a cup of coffee in your lap to get to the radio and change the station?
for me:
Boy Bands, Death metal, and Carly Simon
Well, I've got news for you: There's very little worthwhile music on the radio these days, what with huge corporations programming the same music all over the country, so I rarely ever tune it (except for sports).

As for music I don't like, Techno, Country, and Heavy Metal.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:04 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

i also don't like most of the country music after 1997 or so.
there was nothing wrong with the breath of fresh air that came into country music in the late 80's... but the crap they're producing now..garbage
Old 09-15-2003, 09:45 AM   #27
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Boy bands like N'Sync and the like.
Glam rock.
I hate all of these as well.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I hate:

Jimmy Buffet. The Eagles. Bob Seager.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #29
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Hmmmm....

Boy bands;

Generally, all pop music, although a lot of the mid- to late-80's (through '91) english pop is pretty great. I think I'll drag out my old Material Issue CD.

The current state of grunge/rock/punk/rap fusion thing that is passing for "alternative rock" these days. That is all pure unimaginative crap. Whatsa "Creed" anyway? At some point, grunge became glamrock without the spandex.

Like Murph, Country past 1997, although I'll further limit it by saying Nashville Country post '97.

Metal. Death, speed, thrash or orther variety. Metal=bad.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #30
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I hate:

Jimmy Buffet. The Eagles. Bob Seager.

You are not allowed to hate Jimmy Buffet in my presence. Period. People don't hate Jimmy Buffet; they hate (i) Jimmy Buffet fans; or (ii) Jimmy Buffet's 3 overplayed songs. Jimmy has some fantastic music.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 AM   #31
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yeah, the Beatles. They sucked. What did they ever do?

Old 09-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

i don't hate jimmy buffet..but i definitely don't like him either..very mediocre singer.. and if he writes the songs that he sings..well, he's a less than mediocre song writer
Old 09-15-2003, 11:34 AM   #33
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

There's not really a specific type of music that makes me cringe; more like certain artists such as:

Alanis Morissette
Aerosmith
David Lee Roth
J. Lo
Old 09-15-2003, 01:18 PM   #34
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Bad: anything boomed from a cheap car stereo

Worse: anything boomed from an expensive car stereo
Me too.