Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default Fire Avery Now! Quick! Urgent!

Okay, the title is the last thing I want to read from that direction as either conclusion or answer to the question I keep asking myself.

What is the mastermindic idea about starting the 2nd half without any starter?

I didn´t see enough Mavs games to answer that question (mostly highlight stuff over here, and that rarely includes the Mavs 2nd quarters), so I´m openly challenging all REAL basketball masterminds here to gimme some insight in this.

Plus / Minus stuff appreciated.

I have some theory, which is going something into the direction of maximizing the time our top 5 is playing together and giving up some 4-5 minutes of 4+1 or 3+2 by going 0+5 and later, when you need it, 5+0, but are our 4+1 or 3+2 combos really that much weaker than our 5+0 (all starter) lineup?

Is it that impossible to simply share Damps bench minutes between Bass (with Dirk on the floor, I don´t like the combo, but well) and Juwan / Magloire (if Dirks not on the Floor and Bass is manning the PF)?

Damp - Dirk - Josh - Stack - Kidd

Juwan (Magloire?) - Bass - Devean - Terry - Lue

So Avery´s stragety tells me that most combinations of 3 out of the A group and 2 out of the B group don´t work? Is he right? Is there any stat to backup his theory?

Can´t fight the feeling that we really screw up most of the games between 5:00 to play in the first and 7:00 to play in the 2nd, or in case of not screwing up missing opportunities and making games alot harder and intense than they might have to be if we somehow take the momentum out of our opponents hands (or if not TAKING it out, KEEPING it out).

Just a theory - we all know, to some degree, that Josh USUALLY is a first half player - why not let him log 20 - 24 minutes first half and leave him out 6-8 mins between 3rd / 4th?

Why not letting Kidd run the offense with some of the 2nd Unit and letting Lue play some Avery beloved Isos with Dirk during most of the Third? It´s not like Jason Kidd is a shooter you have to be afraid of cooling down, he seems to be a guy able to step right up.

Why not save Damp from foul troubles by severely limiting his minutes in the first, and letting him control the boards in the 2nd half?

So many questions, and please, only answer if you have anything to say besides "Fire Avery" or "stubborn mastermindic control freak". This is not about criticism, I want to understand, or maybe even speculate what´s going on. Maybe we can find SOME answers by discussing?

Last edited by seelenjaeger; 03-21-2008 at 09:46 PM.
seelenjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry dude, I read through your post twice but I really can't figure out what you're trying to say. You want to play a different rotation in regard to spacing out the starters? Is that it?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 03-21-2008 at 10:02 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LTnq268y2ms
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I'm sorry dude, I read through your post twice but I really can't figure out what you're trying to say. You want to play a different rotation in regard to spacing out the starters? Is that it?
No. I´m not trying to say "this or that ain´t better". I just want to understand which lineups work better than others, and WHY we keep starting the 2nd half with all-bench guys.

I´m not saying that

Kidd - Terry - Josh - Bass - Juwan

would be a better lineup to start the 2nd half, and that

Lue - Stack - George - Dirk - Damp

should be our mid-3rd lineup, but I´d like to know why we don´t use those for an extended time to avoid playing our beloved lue- terry - george - bass - juwan lineup.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
No. I´m not trying to say "this or that ain´t better". I just want to understand which lineups work better than others, and WHY we keep starting the 2nd half with all-bench guys.

I´m not saying that

Kidd - Terry - Josh - Bass - Juwan

would be a better lineup to start the 2nd half, and that

Lue - Stack - George - Dirk - Damp

should be our mid-3rd lineup, but I´d like to know why we don´t use those for an extended time to avoid playing our beloved lue- terry - george - bass - juwan lineup.
Ok, I see what you're saying. You don't want there to be 5 scrubs on the court for an extended period of time.

I agree with you. I think Avery should stagger when he takes starters out of the game so that there's always at least 1 good player on the court. That's sort of what Pop does.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Is it common use to substitute a coach short before playoffs start ? Which guy could make it ?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Yeah, exactly. That´s my question.

I doubt Avery does it without reason (the 5-scrubs thingy), but I couldnt find any reason so far for still doing it - so let´s try and find that reason WHY he plays them.

Anybody having an idea why he does it? Any numbers to back up Averys plan?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk
Is it common use to substitute a coach short before playoffs start ? Which guy could make it ?
Please - this is NO discussion about Avery. I just used that Title to draw attention. I don´t want to let the thread be yet another Avery-sucks thread, I´d like to find out what he plans. He might even have some valid points ... but let´s talk lineups and basketball here, NOT coach-sacking ...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Please - this is NO discussion about Avery. I just used that Title to draw attention. I don´t want to let the thread be yet another Avery-sucks thread, I´d like to find out what he plans. He might even have some valid points ... but let´s talk lineups and basketball here, NOT coach-sacking ...
OK, you´re right. Another " F*** Avery" thread doesn´t make any sense. I slept in during halftime, so i can´t contribute anything referring to the Boston-mess.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

seelen, it's not a good idea to be starting threads with misleading thread titles. Just post a title that's applicable.

I'd ask the mods to edit it if seelen doesn't. all this will do is cause ridiculous debates and flaming, that admittedly, the original poster didn't want. he just wanted attention with the title.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-21-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Hmm, not sure if I can actually change it myself ... how about "let´s try to find out what´s the idea behind our rotations" or such?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Trying to find logic in illogic is futile.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this could use a bump.....

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts

the mavs need a different "kind" of coach
http://205.188.238.109/time/magazine...724406,00.html
quiet riot act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

No the Mavs need better players. Did you hear what Avery said in that time out after Dirk went down "you all want more shots, here's your chance". The players didn't step up and that's been my issue all along with the Mavs. They don't have the players (other than Dirk) to get it done.

Stack, Terry and Howard all try to step up their games but I really don't see the ability for them to take on the leadership role and carry a team for an extended period. I just don't see it unfortunately. THAT I blame on management and their decisions about putting this team together.

Avery could do a better job in his rotations but I must say he can only rotate with what he has and if he has 5 scrubs on the court at one time, you have to look at your personnel. You don't want to wear Dirk and Kidd down, they both have a lot of mileage on them. Josh Howard can go a long time but sometimes he NEEDS to sit down and Stack also has alot of mileage on him. Then what do you have left if you need to get these guys rest? Terry (not going to do it)? Damp (whatever)? George, Juwan, Bass? I just really can't see how he can improve the rotation.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Let's just trade the entire roster -Dirk for Dikembe Mutumbo.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #17
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Please step up Mr. Kidd! Please step up!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Come on, now the problem is not on AJ!!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #19
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

the rotations are a big part of the problem. the biggest problem is that avery is not good at making changes when things dont go the way he wants them to. last two years things worked out because we got into a rythm early in the season and then got a fixed rotation that worked together. After 70 games we still dont have it this year and time is running out. Avery needs to quit experimenting. Our starters work reasonably well together. Allen as backup center works ok, bass is much better as backup PF than as backup center. lue for kidd works ok aswell, terry and stack are ok at the 2 guard position. and JHo can split his minutes with george.
Why we end up with a Kidd - Terry - Stack- Howard - Dirk linup against the spurs is beyond me.

And the substitutions afterwards just made it more weird.
Kidd- Terry - George - Howard - Dirk
Stackhouse - George - Howard - Bass - Dirk (wtf kinda linup is this? 2 1/2 players arent on their best position...)
No wonder the spurs went 14-2 with these lineups on the floor.

Can we atleast play the players on their normal positions? We are 2 players deep on nearly every positiion so why not just rotate that way and keep atleast 2 starters on the floor at all times. Why take your own players out of their comfort zones? the passing options are unknown and so are the looks they are getting so its a recipe for disaster.
Dirk is no freaking center. Dirk/damp did a superb job on duncan up to that point and held him to 4 points and 5 rebounds on 1 of 12 shooting.

Last edited by Lor20; 03-25-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote