Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Detroit @ Dallas Gameday thread

Bring it!

Mavs win 92-86.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2004, 08:54 AM   #2
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default RE:Detroit @ Dallas Gameday thread

Mavs win 99-98. Dirk hits 99 out of 100 free throws in the first NBA game where: 1) one player scores all the points; and 2) a team wins without making a field goal. The game is called with 10 minutes to go when Darko Milicic (the last Detroit player left in the game) finally fouls out.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Detroit @ Dallas Gameday thread

May the better defensive team win.

Dallas - Opp FG% = .423 (4th)
Detroit -Opp FG% = .443 (17th)

Dallas - Opp 3Pt% = .273 (1st) FIRST
Detroit -Opp 3Pt% = .392 (30th) LAST

Dallas - Opp TOs - 15.4 (9th)
Detroit - Opp TOs - 15.4 (9th)

Dallas - Scoring Diff = +4.1 (Dallas 99.3 Opp 95.2) (6th)
Detroit - Scoring Diff = -0.3 (Detroit 91.4 Opp 91.7) (15th)

Prediction:
Dallas 96
Detroit 87
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Mavs win 99-98. Dirk hits 99 out of 100 free throws in the first NBA game where: 1) one player scores all the points; and 2) a team wins without making a field goal. The game is called with 10 minutes to go when Darko Milicic (the last Detroit player left in the game) finally fouls out.
After you only have five players left, I believe it is impossible to foul a player out. You will always have enough players to play with.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

After you only have five players left, I believe it is impossible to foul a player out. You will always have enough players to play with.[/quote]

Is this right? What would prevent a team from starting their worst players and purposely fouling them out and then leave the top 5 players to finish the game without impunity? I guess the number of foul shots (74, 42 fouls for 7 bad players, 5 fouls before you go to free throws, and then 37 consecutive fouls) might deter that.

However if you had a team full of bad free throw shooters, it might work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs 95
Det 86

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #7
Waschdel

Waschdel is on a distinguished road

Mavs 103
Pistons 98
Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
After you only have five players left, I believe it is impossible to foul a player out. You will always have enough players to play with.
Some fishes are way too Seri-ous.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs win, 95-83.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #10
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

BTW: Many years ago, when I was in high school and Dr. Naismith had just invented the game, we were playing a team that started with only eight players. After four of them fouled out, early in the fourth quarter, our coach decided it would be good sportsmanship if we also only played with four (we were way ahead anyway).

Very soon, another of their players fouled out, and our coach decided to play with three.

For the last six minutes of the game, the six of us raced up and down the court, playing 3 on 3 full court.

I have never been so exhausted in my life.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #11
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
BTW: Many years ago, when I was in high school and Dr. Naismith had just invented the game, we were playing a team that started with only eight players. After four of them fouled out, early in the fourth quarter, our coach decided it would be good sportsmanship if we also only played with four (we were way ahead anyway).

Very soon, another of their players fouled out, and our coach decided to play with three.

For the last six minutes of the game, the six of us raced up and down the court, playing 3 on 3 full court.

I have never been so exhausted in my life.
LOL... that was wild!

Anyway... Detroit gets a beat-down tonight. Mavs by 13.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #12
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

pistons by 9

they are simply a much better basketball team and now they have big ben back they will win.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:18 PM   #13
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

This is going to be a grinder...terrible to watch but I think we can win:

90-84 Mavs
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:32 PM   #14
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

My money is on the Mavs...not much, though...

Mavs win 91-85
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #15
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs 105 Pistons 83

After fouling out everyone but Darko and 4 others, Darko keeps fouling, and the mavs keep shooting free throws:

RULE NO. 3-PLAYERS, SUBSTITUTES AND COACHES
Section I-Team
a. Each team shall consist of five players. No team may be reduced to less than five players. If a player in the game receives his sixth personal foul and all substitutes have already been disqualified, said player shall remain in the game and shall be charged with a personal and team foul. A technical foul also shall be assessed against his team. All subsequent personal fouls, including offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly. All players who have six or more personal fouls and remain in the game shall be treated similarly.
b. In the event that there are only five eligible players remaining and one of these players is injured and must leave the game or is ejected, he must be replaced by the last player who was disqualified by reason of receiving six personal fouls. Each subsequent requirement to replace an injured or ejected player will be treated in this inverse order. Any such re-entry into a game by a disqualified player shall be penalized by a technical foul.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #16
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

The key to this one will be stopping the big men! We need Damp to show up full force tonight, and if Nellie goes small ball I'll kill him!!

Mavs 89
Pistons 84
Old 12-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #17
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
Mavs 105 Pistons 83

After fouling out everyone but Darko and 4 others, Darko keeps fouling, and the mavs keep shooting free throws:

RULE NO. 3-PLAYERS, SUBSTITUTES AND COACHES
Section I-Team
a. Each team shall consist of five players. No team may be reduced to less than five players. If a player in the game receives his sixth personal foul and all substitutes have already been disqualified, said player shall remain in the game and shall be charged with a personal and team foul. A technical foul also shall be assessed against his team. All subsequent personal fouls, including offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly. All players who have six or more personal fouls and remain in the game shall be treated similarly.
b. In the event that there are only five eligible players remaining and one of these players is injured and must leave the game or is ejected, he must be replaced by the last player who was disqualified by reason of receiving six personal fouls. Each subsequent requirement to replace an injured or ejected player will be treated in this inverse order. Any such re-entry into a game by a disqualified player shall be penalized by a technical foul.

Thanks for the info Lurkin....learn something new everyday...It looks like the penalties alone would discourage any attempt of abuse.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #18
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

mavs - 88
detroit - 80
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #19
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

109 - 93 Mavs
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #20
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Looking ahead Im simply SICK of playing Minn on a back2back. Not only were all 4 games last year back2back, both games this year have been a Travel Back2back, taking the red eye.

Im sick of it.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #21
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Keep Billups from going off and keep Rip from going crazy and we can grind this one out and Larry Brown will be pissed off after the game like last year.

Pistons 82
Mavs 87
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Detroit has averaged 88ppg in the last four away games and has kept their opponents to 79.25ppg.

They've played the great but far from explosive Spurs team, the 1-14 Hornets, 7-11 Houston and 4-10 Milwaukie, but this is still a very dangerous defensive team.

Something will have to give in this game, and I hope it is the pace. If there is anything that can wreck the Detroit defense it is an offense that combines drives and passes in the halfcourt with fastbreak and full court pressure.

I just hope that we can pull this game off in regualation.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #23
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

If a good defense always shuts down a good offense, what does a better defense do to an anemic offense?

show detroit that the big boys still play in the west, that's what.

mavs win 96-87

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #24
Intruder

Intruder is on a distinguished road

Pistons 90
Mavs 85

intruder
Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:50 PM   #25
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

if we lose, my friends never let me live this down

110-97
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping that we win the whole enchilada tonight or at least get me and my fiancee a couple of chalupas. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Mavs 101
Pistons 89
Old 12-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #27
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i'm a little worried about this game...sheed is one of the few guys in the league that can do a relatively decent job of guarding dirk.

quick question that may be a bit stupid...has anyone heard news on finley's return? i thought it was supposed to be saturday at the latest, but i haven't read anything about it recently. am i missing something or have they not said anything about it?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
i'm a little worried about this game...sheed is one of the few guys in the league that can do a relatively decent job of guarding dirk.

quick question that may be a bit stupid...has anyone heard news on finley's return? i thought it was supposed to be saturday at the latest, but i haven't read anything about it recently. am i missing something or have they not said anything about it?
That's what I wanted to know. Pinto was saying something about he's going to try and practice last Sunday. I've never seen an injury were no one knows some sort of estimated time frame on the return.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #29
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

mavs roll

98-87
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #30
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Has Nellie said who he will start at point?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM   #31
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Has Nellie said who he will start at point?

If he did would it mean anything? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #32
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

98-86 mavs and i hope jason terry starts
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #33
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Nevermind who will start. Bring me the game, guys!!!

Mavs win.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #34
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

i think the mavs win, man i don't think there are fans in the nba more full of themselves than piston fans. even before they won the championship their message boards were full of people thinking they were the greatest. they are touting darko as the next dirk, very annoying. i hope we destroy them like we did twice 2 years ago....2 of the biggest mavs blowouts i've seen in a long time.
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
even before they won the championship their message boards were full of people thinking they were the greatest. they are touting darko as the next dirk
that seems to be a part of any fan or fan forum.

We tend to think that we are championship worthy. We thought that Dirk was a superstar before he was Dirk.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #36
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
even before they won the championship their message boards were full of people thinking they were the greatest. they are touting darko as the next dirk
that seems to be a part of any fan or fan forum.

We tend to think that we are championship worthy. We thought that Dirk was a superstar before he was Dirk.

no there are more ppl on here, and generally on any message board that are a little more realistic. the detroit fans seemed like dreamers to me. i dunno, they did win the championship, but i can remember a couple years ago them talking about how new jersey sucked even though the nets pretty much dominated the east.
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #37
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Well, if Darko is going to amount to anything then he is going to need some playing time. Otherwise, it was a wasted draft pick that someone else will cash in on when he becomes a free agent. Kind of like what happened with Jermaine O'Neil and Tracy McGrady.

By the way, I think Mavs win 91-83. Who's going to stop Dirk?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Howard should have given the ball up
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Daniels jumper is so f'ing ugly.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #40
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Billips just yells and get the foul? BS.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote