Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold
Default Lebron to Olympiakos in 2010?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ece/index.html

Quote:
Greek team may make $eriou$ run at LeBron after 2010 season

You'll never guess which NBA star the Greek team Olympiakos of Athens may be targeting next.

Here's the buzz I heard Friday: Olympiakos is considering a run at LeBron James when he becomes a free agent in 2010.

This talk was beginning to make its way through the NBA on Friday. I heard it from a reliable league source, who told me that it emanates from Olympiakos.

At first glance it is ludicrous to imagine that the NBA's next big star would move overseas as he's trying to win championships and replace Michael Jordan as a household name globally. But look at it this way: Neither the Euroleague nor Greek league impose any kind of salary cap on its teams, which means there would be no ceiling on an offer that the billionaire ownership of Olympiakos could make to James.

As a free agent in 2010, his new contract in the NBA would start at less than $20 million annually.

What if Olympiakos were to offer him $40 million per year? Or $50 million? Who knows how much the Greeks would be willing to pay? The point is that the limitation on his salary is entirely up to them.

Last month Olympiakos signed Josh Childress, a sixth man of the Atlanta Hawks, to a three-year contract worth $20 million "net'' (meaning that most of his taxes and living expenses are paid by the club in addition to his salary) that exceeded his value in the NBA. The Aggelopoulos brothers, the young billionaires who own Olympiakos, do not expect to earn revenues to cover the cost of that contract. They signed Childress simply in hope that he will help them win basketball games.

At the most expensive levels of European basketball, the club owners are obsessed with bringing glory to their club and their fans as well as to their city and country. Imagine the glory that the recruitment of James would bring to Olympiakos. At the very least, he would destroy their cross-town rival Panathinaikos: The value of that alone would be priceless to Olympiakos.

The owners of Olympiakos already lose millions annually on their player payroll. It may be worthwhile to them to lose $40 million or more in exchange for the grandeur of LeBron.

From James' point of view, playing overseas for a year could enhance his marketing status and turn him into more of a global star than he is now. He could build up his name in an entirely unprecedented way and then return home as a free agent to sign with the NBA team of his choosing.

I am not saying that any of this is going to happen. I can tell you, however, that this kind of speculation is going to generate a lot of talk throughout the basketball world -- and not just concerning Olympiakos, either. What's to stop the billionaire owners of CSKA Moscow or other elite Euroleague clubs from making a similar run at James?

The landscape of basketball may be changing, after all.
Thoughts?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Wow. This is a very interesting concept. I would be in favor of it.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see it happening because I know the type of person Lebron is--he wants his legacy to go up against the Jordan's, Chamberlain's, Bird's, etc. when it's all said and done. However, the interesting thing is that I'm sure he can get a contract similar/better to Childress's where Josh is able to opt out from his contract anytime he wants. If that were the case, maybe Lebron signs a 5 year, 50 million per year contract but opts out after a year or two. Talk about a quick 100 million bucks (after tax). And at the same time, he could pick up a couple Euroleague championships, MVPs, etc. and would be the king of the world conquering the Americas and Europe. He has stated his goal is not only to be the best player in the history of basketball, but he also wants to be the richest man in the history of humanity.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 08-02-2008 at 06:07 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Why would he do that? He is gonna get paid here. Not only in his contract, but with advertisement. This is stupid.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

exactly. The guy makes more money off advertising than he ever would off contracts. He is a business unto himself and he is business partners-- not with the NBA or any NBA team-- but american advertising agencies.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Advertisements wouldn't change if he was in Europe, would it?

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the european team wait until he's a free agent? If they want him, sign him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way he would ever do that.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Advertisements wouldn't change if he was in Europe, would it?
How could it not? You think America would still be in love with the phenomenon if he was some European player?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
How could it not? You think America would still be in love with the phenomenon if he was some European player?
*cough* dirk *cough*

if Dirk was american born he would be as popular as Bird. (and dont give me that title crap.. bird was popular before he ever won a championship).
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Publicity stunt...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
alby
Guru

I think we are underrating the money that is in the continent of Europe (just look at soccer, I mean futbol). Furthermore, expanding across the Atlantic would only be for his benefit because I feel that he would ultimately have a net gain when you take into account the losses he would have in the US plus the gains he would have in Europe. There's a 0.01% chance that he would ever do this. I'm just saying, if he just played there for a year or two, he would literally become a legend overseas. Can you imagine the marketing plug when he comes back to the States? "Return of the King"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I was only 24/25 years old, I would have no problem playing in Europe to tease them a little bit, then come back and become the face of the NBA again. In fact, I could see him not only be the face of the NBA but the face of sport.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 08-02-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that players are going to use "going to Europe" more & more to leverage bigger contracts...

Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I have a feeling that players are going to use "going to Europe" more & more to leverage bigger contracts...
It's already happening.

The crappy thing? The NBA is going up against a league that doesn't even have a salary cap. Money is money IMHO. And when you're young, what's wrong with playing in Italy, France, Greece, etc.?

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
Underdog

Quote:
Money is money IMHO.
And when you're earning in Euros, but spending in Dollars, money is 1.55x more than just money...

Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

If this was to happen, then maybe Dirk too someday?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

Hopefully Lebron won't chase the money, he makes more than 50 mil a year if you add in all his endorsements, If Lebron goes to Europe, the NBA will have to change its salary cap rules, or all the talent will follow lebron to europe
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
belgianfan

belgianfan is infamous around these parts

No way that happens, not even for a 100 millions a year. Maybe when his NBA career is over yes, but not in his prime. Basketball is not as popular in europe, and that will never change (who of you guy's has started to watch soccer games because Beckham came to the USA?)
Like I said: maybe players will consider playing a less though Euro-campaign when their bodies can't handle a grueling 82 games schedule anymore, but the mekka of basketball is and will always be the NBA.
belgianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #19
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Competition is always good, aint it? Step up, NBA.

Depending on how the dollar does, if he blows up in China with the Olympics, etc., his international share of sway and dough should only grow. So, if he gets a 50M+ dollar per deal, well, an extra 30M+ per year is no chump change.

And as far as legacies go, what could be a bigger legacy than changing the way the league does business and developing another NBA in the world outside the NBA?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Competition is always good, aint it? Step up, NBA.

Depending on how the dollar does, if he blows up in China with the Olympics, etc., his international share of sway and dough should only grow. So, if he gets a 50M+ dollar per deal, well, an extra 30M+ per year is no chump change.

And as far as legacies go, what could be a bigger legacy than changing the way the league does business and developing another NBA in the world outside the NBA?
Lebron is not going to go... One above-average player goes to Europe for three years or less and everyone is starting to freak out You know Childress has said he plans to come back to the NBA after his contract is over (which could be 1 year if he wants). Why? Because the NBA is home. Because the NBA is competition. And he'll finally be a unrestricted free agent. It's comical how far this thing has been blown out of proportion.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Lebron going to Europe would be a good thing for basketball overall. It's certainly not out of the question, it just depends on how much money those owners are willing to burn. It could force the NBA to really improve upon itself, as mentioned, competition is a good thing.

Now that I think about it, there are just so many perks to playing in Europe aside from the money... who would blame Lebron for going for a year and testing it out? Putting myself in the shoes of Childress it seemed to certainly be a no brainer... if Lebron is offered 50 million (Euro's) for one year, you seriously don't think he's going to weigh his options?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he will go either but it's not like there are zero arguments for going either, which never would have been the case, say, 10 years ago.

Anyways, the bigger point to this topic (sorry, LeBron) is how Europe is changing the way NBA management does business.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Lebron is not going to go... One above-average player goes to Europe for three years or less and everyone is starting to freak out You know Childress has said he plans to come back to the NBA after his contract is over (which could be 1 year if he wants). Why? Because the NBA is home. Because the NBA is competition. And he'll finally be a unrestricted free agent. It's comical how far this thing has been blown out of proportion.
hes not gonna be unrestricted

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #24
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

not happening
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

No way Lebron does this, but I can see a lower-level all-star type player (of the caliber of say, Carlos Boozer or Shawn Marion) going to Europe for a number of possible reasons.

1. The financial incentives of the euro and possible tax-breaks.
2. The opportunity to possibly become the best player in the league as opposed to top 25.
3. The additional sponsorship money that could come from being the face of the Euro-leagues.
4. If the large market American cities (LA, NY, etc.) aren't a possibility, the draw of major international cities like Barcelona or Paris over small-market cities like Salt Lake, Sacramento, etc.
5. The fact that with the current cap rules, its very hard for top players who want to leave their current teams to get fair compensation on the free-agent market.
6. The opportunity to be a trail-blazer.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
hes not gonna be unrestricted
In 3 years? Yes he will?..
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #27
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
*cough* dirk *cough*

if Dirk was american born he would be as popular as Bird.
If Dirk was US-guy he would be one player among many good players and not a that huge attraction. Think, he would have been socialized the american way and would not be the attraction he is now.

btw: Has anyone ever seen Dirk taking part of the usual life in Dallas ?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think we are underrating the money that is in the continent of Europe (just look at soccer, I mean futbol). Furthermore, expanding across the Atlantic would only be for his benefit because I feel that he would ultimately have a net gain when you take into account the losses he would have in the US plus the gains he would have in Europe. There's a 0.01% chance that he would ever do this. I'm just saying, if he just played there for a year or two, he would literally become a legend overseas. Can you imagine the marketing plug when he comes back to the States? "Return of the King"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I was only 24/25 years old, I would have no problem playing in Europe to tease them a little bit, then come back and become the face of the NBA again. In fact, I could see him not only be the face of the NBA but the face of sport.

As to LeBron it is the end of his NBA - carreer based on the level he´s playing on currently.
His talent is wasted there because leagues and teams are to weak to give him the opportunity to play on his level.

I have not doubt the billionaire guys made their plans if the rumors are true, but there are three major sports in Europe.

1st : soccer
2nd : soccer
3rd : soccer

No one cares about LeBron playing basketball, except maybe some greek guys. And the advertising effect will be nearly zero - except maybe in greece.
Signing very large advertising contracts is hard even for top soccer players.

But in some years, maybe a russian idiot will offer 50 or 70 mn. for a player.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #29
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
In 3 years? Yes he will?..
I think I heard that his contract is essentially put "on hold" while he is in Europe, so he will still be restricted when he returns.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #30
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think I heard that his contract is essentially put "on hold" while he is in Europe, so he will still be restricted when he returns.
What?

Lebron has 2 more years left on his contract with a player option for the 3rd year. He will definitely opt out to get more money. Making him an UNRESTRICTED free agent. He is going to be able to choose where he wants to go..most likely NJ, NY, or LA so that a clause in his advertising contract kicks in, giving LEbron more money. Of Lebron does something crazy and signs with a Euro team...he will be an unrestricted free agent when he returns.

He can't break his contract and not play..leave to play for Europe and then come back with no repercussions. That makes NO sense.

Last edited by nikeball; 08-03-2008 at 07:54 PM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #31
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Is no one worried that some of these Euro leagues might go under with no sort of salary cap to keep teams financially sound? I could definitely see some team paying Boozer $30 million and going out of business the next season.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #32
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
What?

Lebron has 2 more years left on his contract with a player option for the 3rd year. He will definitely opt out to get more money. Making him an UNRESTRICTED free agent. He is going to be able to choose where he wants to go..most likely NJ, NY, or LA so that a clause in his advertising contract kicks in, giving LEbron more money. Of Lebron does something crazy and signs with a Euro team...he will be an unrestricted free agent when he returns.

He can't break his contract and not play..leave to play for Europe and then come back with no repercussions. That makes NO sense.
I think he meant Childress...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #33
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
Is no one worried that some of these Euro leagues might go under with no sort of salary cap to keep teams financially sound? I could definitely see some team paying Boozer $30 million and going out of business the next season.
I've heard about the owners being billionaires offering this money. I doubt it.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #34
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

hell yeah, he must be there~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #35
alby
Guru

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

---

Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50 million a year or more

By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine

Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over."

But losing a player of James' magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the National Basketball Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

But both Litvin and the NBPA official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

The source close to James said he would play in Europe only for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

The entire scenario falls in line with James' stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the players' association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc."

But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.Chris Broussard is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Contact Me
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #36
Tokey41
Platinum Member

We just lost Earl Boykins... I wonder who else will bolt in this offseason alone?

I expect some immediate changes from the NBA.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #37
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

lebron doesn't care about anything except money..if they throw $50m at him, he'll be gone, no doubt.

He's already gone on record saying that he wants to be the first athlete billionaire. Personally, I don't think he's going to be the first...Tiger's going to get there in a few years and Tiger is going to be a billionaire a few times over, considering he's around 30 years old and making $100m a year. Golfers play forever. Lebron will be done in 15 years, and there isn't as much money in basketball as there is in Golf, unless Olympiakos comes around and shows him the money.

Last edited by rakesh.s; 08-06-2008 at 01:44 AM.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #38
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I could care less. He isn't a Maverick so we're better off when not playing against him.

There's too much talent in the NBA to fret over certain players leaving.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #39
alby
Guru

I feel that there isn't enough talent and that the league is watered down personally.

Contact Me
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #40
Underdog

Why does "I'll play my contract through 2011" keep running through my head?

(a little-known German NBA baller who WASN'T born in Michigan said that...)

Last edited by Underdog; 08-06-2008 at 10:09 AM.