Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #561
RocketsRule

RocketsRule is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Official Game 6 thread: Dallas @ Houston

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Only those who underestimated this Rockets team should be disappointed that this has gone to a 7th game. Dallas played well up until the middle of the 4th quarter. So, Rockets fans shouldn't get too cocky either. The Rockets did what any good team does which is fight elimination on their home court, and now Dallas will do the same at home.

As for Dirk, he is an awesome player who has had a bad offensive series. I wouldn't have believed that he would shoot this badly for six games either until I analyzed this series more closely. Dirk is a coach-pleaser. When Nellie was coach, he emphasized offense, and you could see that in Dirk's play. Now that Avery is coach, defense is stressed, and Dirk puts his emphasis on that part of the floor as well. The result is what you get in this game; 5 blocks and doube-digit rebounds. Dirk is playing defense, and subsequently his offense has suffered.

In Game 7, Dirk needs to exert more effort offensively. He needs to play like the superstar he is at the offensive end. Dampier and the others need to be the ones who step up defensively. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that Dirk needs to stop playing defense, but I think he really needs to concentrate most of his energy on scoring.

So, kudos to the Rockets for game 6, but Dallas will win game 7.
I'm sorry but when has Dirk been playing defense? Please tell me the players he has shut down.
RocketsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #562
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Official Game 6 thread: Dallas @ Houston

Okay. You tell me the players Ryan Bowen has shut down.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #563
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
Originally posted by: nuggien
Tracy lets Finley know how many games the mavs will win in this series.

Official Seal of Houston Rockets

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #564
RocketsRule

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Okay. You tell me the players Ryan Bowen has shut down.
He's been giving your Dirk, who is a tremendous offensive threat, fits the entire series. Dirk has not even had one great game. A couple solid ones, but nothing Dirk-like.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #565
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The Ryan Bowen on Dirk worked for about a game and a half RR. Nice try though. And Dirk isn't a "shutdown" defender, but he is more than adequate. Just ask Mutombo where his ball went last night (if you don't have a direct line to him I'll tell you myself.... it was rejected by Dirk out of bounds).
Old 05-06-2005, 11:26 PM   #566
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: RocketsRule

I'm sorry but when has Dirk been playing defense? Please tell me the players he has shut down.
Dirk has been playing solid defense throughout the entire series, smart guy. Players he has shut down? Actually I seem to remember him blocking and stealing from Yao several times throughout the series.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #567
Mavs4Life

Mavs4Life is on a distinguished road

blocking someone a few times in 6 games constitutes as shutting him down?
Mavs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #568
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs4Life
blocking someone a few times in 6 games constitutes as shutting him down?
I didn't say a few, I said several. And I never said that Dirk shut down Yao, merely that he has been playing solid defense throughout the whole series.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:34 AM   #569
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

How many of Dirk's shots have been blocked? If that's the qualification for being shut down....

I don't really assign any of Dirk's struggles to Bowen. I'll give TMac a LITTLE more credit, but not much. Dirk is getting his shot off...as he can do on anyone. We're just so spoiled. We're used to seeing him dropping 30+ on the likes of KG and CWebb. He's struggling huge this series offensively. I'm not saying that we're "okay," but the man has earned a little leeway.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #570
RocketsRule

According to 82games.com

His opponent PER is 23.9 for SF, 15.8 for PF, and 19 for C. The league average is 15. Dirk doesn't play defense, face it...
Old 05-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #571
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

RocketsRule are the suck
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #572
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
According to 82games.com

His opponent PER is 23.9 for SF, 15.8 for PF, and 19 for C. The league average is 15. Dirk doesn't play defense, face it...
Throw out the numbers for SF and C. The sampling size is too small, as Dirk almost ALWAYS matches up with the opposing PF. 15.8 is damn decent, considering KG's 15.4.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #573
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
According to 82games.com

Dirk has trouble guarding small forwards. Wow, you are a genius.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #574
RocketsRule

Even then, a defensive PER of 15.8 against PFs is nothing really worth of mentioning. That's not good defense.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #575
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I'm told that defense wins championships. (We have 80 points.)
From watching the game and reading this thread....I get the impression that a lot of Mavs fans don't appreciate defense.

Well Houston is playing much better defense and it is affecting the Mavs' shots....especially Dirk.

Still don't lose hope and do not...I repeat...DO NOT give up on Dirk....he's too good of a player for you fools to bail on. Dirk's under enormous amounts of pressure being "the Man" now....without his buddy Nash to back him up in the playoffs.

Cut him some slack!
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #576
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
Quote:
From watching the game and reading this thread....I get the impression that a lot of Mavs fans don't appreciate defense.

Well Houston is playing much better defense and it is affecting the Mavs' shots....especially Dirk. ...
Bingo.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #577
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Even then, a defensive PER of 15.8 against PFs is nothing really worth of mentioning. That's not good defense.
Yes it is, dumbass.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #578
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
Quote:

Well Houston is playing much better defense and it is affecting the Mavs' shots....especially Dirk. ...
Bingo.
The way the Mavs are playing offense these days is readily defendable.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #579
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Exactly! The Rockets haven't been playing better defense. The Mavs have simply been playing crappier offense.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #580
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Quote:

Exactly! The Rockets haven't been playing better defense. The Mavs have simply been playing crappier offense.
LOL.

How about some specifics? What AREN'T the Mavs doing in this series that they WERE doing in the offseason that allowed them to average 102.5 ppg (3rd in the league)? What has them down to 97.7 in this series?

If your contention is going to be that the Rockets defense, which surrendered an average of 91.03 ppg (3rd best in the league) and allowed 42.3% FG (2nd to Chicago's 42.2%), is not having anything to do with the Maverick's offensive production, then it would be interesting to hear some analysis.

I'll say this--TMac is clearly a tough defensive matchup for Dirk. He's a pretty good defender, bigger than most permieter defenders, and quicker than Dirk. Also, given that he's a good leaper and a quick leaper with long arms, he can get up and bother Dirk's jumper. And when Dirk has been able to get by TMac, he's had trouble finishing over/around Yao and Dikembe.

I think the big issue is Dampier's inability to stay out of foul trouble combined with his propensity to pick up the extra bone-headed foul that's keeping him off the floor, removing an inside threat, and killing any of the offensive continuity/efficiency that they had developed over the last 20-25 games of the season.

But from what I've seen, Houston is also making it tough for them.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote