Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute
Default Azubuike to sign with Mavs

So, he gets the open spot. Good to have another backup and reliable three-point shooter:

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks will sign swingman Kelenna Azubuike to fill the roster spot vacated by Thursday's release of Sean Williams, according to sources close to the situation.

Although Azubuike hasn't played since early in the 2009-10 season because of a knee injury, Mavericks officials are intrigued by the progress Azubuike has made in his rehabilitation efforts, sources said.

Azubuike will receive a deal for the rest of this season and a team option for next season and will start his comeback with the Frisco-based Texas Legends, Dallas' D-League affiliate, sources said. He is expected to practice with the Legends on Friday and could play for them as early as Saturday night against the Maine Red Claws at home.

After playing on the Golden State squad that upset Dallas in the first round of the 2007 playoffs, Azubuike averaged 13.9 points through the first nine games of the 2009-10 season under then-Warriors coach Don Nelson when he suffered a season-ending knee injury.

He was later included in Golden State's sign-and-trade acquisition of David Lee from the New York Knicks in the summer of 2010, but Azubuike never played a game with the Knicks and was released Feb. 28, 2011.

Undrafted out of Kentucky, Azubuike began his pro career with the Fort Worth Flyers in the D-League and was regarded as a quality defender and 3-point shooter before his knee troubles. (The Fort Worth franchise has since relocated to Reno, Nev.)

Williams played in only eight games with the Mavericks after leaving his team in Israel to sign with his hometown team on Dec. 21, averaging 3.6 points and 1.6 rebounds in 8.1 minutes.

The former Mansfield (Texas) High School standout played in 24 games on multiple assignments to the Mavericks' D-League affiliate in Frisco, averaging 14.7 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks for the Del Harris-coached Texas Legends.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...ks-sources-say
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting signing - if his knee is fully recovered, then the Mavs FO might've struck gold as a result of out-researching the rest of the league (again...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-23-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Low risk high reward as always. Never considered him a "quality defender" but I could be biased because he played for the Warriors.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Starting with the Legends and team option for next year makes me think that this is more of a forward thinking move. (Although a team option is a no-brainer no matter what if the player is willing).

You have to think with this season it's going to be hard to incorporate a new player into the system with so few practices. So this may not have any real impact on the team this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-23-2012 at 09:17 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Nice signing if he is healthy.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Immediately intrigued. I remember watching this guy at GSW and thinking he was a beast.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Nice signing...

to make it short:

bye bye DoJo

Roddy and Jet ? how do you like the fire under your butts ?

Last edited by markus1234; 03-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Hmm. Starting with the Legends and team option for next year makes me think that this is more of a forward thinking move. (Although a team option is a no-brainer no matter what if the player is willing).

You have to think with this season it's going to be hard to incorporate a new player into the system with so few practices. So this may not have any real impact on the team this season.
If he's healthy, I could see him making a small impact this year as a spot-up three-point shooter. He's no Peja, but it's always good to have an extra guy like that in the playoffs. Never know when you'll need it. Right, Steve Kerr?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Nice signing...

to make it short:

bye bye DoJo

Roddy and Jet ? how do you like the fire under your butts ?
I would imagine that the Mavs see him as more of a small forward than a guard.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would imagine that the Mavs see him as more of a small forward than a guard.
Or at least more of a shooting guard than a point guard (which is the role that DoJo has fallen into) - if anything, he seems like more of a threat to Vince Carter's swingman role (if he's a "threat" to anyone...)

I wonder if/how Azubuike's slashing ability has been hampered by his injuries?

Last edited by Underdog; 03-23-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

He will likely take away minutes from Carter and Odom, assuming that Shawn slides over to the PF more often.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We don't have the active roster spots to bring him in active do we? Even if he was in game shape, it would also be nice to work him back into the game slowly so see how he's recovering in a game situation.

Anyway, my guess that the signing was to appease an agent seems wrong as Michael Higgins only represents Nazr and Ronnie Price in Free agency.

I like the signing a lot as long as the Mavs have done their homework. I agree that it will be hard to work him into the lineup in this season--particularly this late but cheap guys that can be legit starters with TEAM options is always a good deal. Brandan Wright was an excellent signing at the min and we can pick him up another year for the min. Without the player option I could see him getting 3-5mill/yr.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Very intrigued and yes I do think he will be active when coming to mavs.

I suspect Dojo and YI/Cardinal will be usual non active roster guys. Azubuike had a very good 08-09 year.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We don't have the active roster spots to bring him in active do we? Even if he was in game shape, it would also be nice to work him back into the game slowly so see how he's recovering in a game situation.

Anyway, my guess that the signing was to appease an agent seems wrong as Michael Higgins only represents Nazr and Ronnie Price in Free agency.

I like the signing a lot as long as the Mavs have done their homework. I agree that it will be hard to work him into the lineup in this season--particularly this late but cheap guys that can be legit starters with TEAM options is always a good deal. Brandan Wright was an excellent signing at the min and we can pick him up another year for the min. Without the player option I could see him getting 3-5mill/yr.
We would easily have the active roster spots right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 03-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Underdog

If Azubuike earns playtime, I'd like to see more Carter at the 3 with Marion replacing Odom's minutes as Dirk's primary backup...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If Azubuike earns playtime, I'd like to see more Carter at the 3 with Marion replacing Odom's minutes as Dirk's primary backup...
If Roddy keeps playing well, I think that will happen regardless of what happens with Azubuike.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that's the initial plan.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I think that's the initial plan.
So BG...if Odom's play doesn't come around, do you think there's a chance he finds himself completely out of the rotation come playoff time?

Because if the plan is for Azabuike to contribute at all, it would seem that the Mavs are preparing for that possibility.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I love the signing. I'll say it again. Other than always having to google his name to spell it right, Azubuike is nothing but upside. He's been commended for his hard work off the court, has always been an efficient scorer and has been a pretty good energy guy. Before the injury he was a legit starter in the league averaging 14/5 and a career 46% guy thats been 40% from 3. If he comes back at 90% of that, he's a steal.

Love love love the 2 year vet min deals with team optioned 2nd years. If he is a flop we drop him. If he returns to his 14/5, efficient-scoring ways and earns a 3-5million dollar deal from his play? We just exercise our option and keep him at less than a mill. Not only could it be a steal (Brandan Wright is going to be one of those guys that could get a huge raise on the open market but a guy we can secure for another year for the min and end up with some bird rights), he's got the kind of contract we'd love to have if we go after a couple of the big-name free-agents. Its hard to nab those quality starter-caliber players for that cheap unless you draft them or develop them internally from undrafted players (which can take a few years). Nabbing a quality vet at a price like that can only help us if we do sail over the cap again next year.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-23-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Great signing.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

A big 6-5. Could be a great signing if fully healthy. We'll see how he does in the D-League. Gives us another shooter and can fill the lane, given his size should do well on the block in the half court game. Team him with DWill next season, gives us a very big backcourt.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Underdog

Not getting into minute distribution (and assuming we're healthy), I'd like to see this depth chart come playoff time:

Kidd/West/Roddy
Roddy/JET/Azubuike/Carter
Carter/Marion/Azubuike
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Wright/Mahinmi

Last edited by Underdog; 03-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Nice mid-season for the future signing.

Looking at the two years he played the most, his defensive +/- numbers look middling but it was with the Warriors. If healthy, he'll go nicely with Marion as swingmen. He'll space while Marion cuts. Marion is the top defender but Azu won't be a weak point either.

This also is a sign the Mavs like what they see out of Ian and Wright.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 03-23-2012 at 11:48 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Pre injury Azubuike.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1muMt3Q-k
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not getting into minute distribution (and assuming we're healthy), I'd like to see this depth chart come playoff time:

Kidd/West/Roddy
Carter/Marion/Azubuike
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Wright/Mahinmi
I find it hard to believe that Marion wouldn't start if healthy.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So BG...if Odom's play doesn't come around, do you think there's a chance he finds himself completely out of the rotation come playoff time?

Because if the plan is for Azabuike to contribute at all, it would seem that the Mavs are preparing for that possibility.
The Mavs have to see what they have in Azubuike (I hate spelling that name) first before they can really figure things out. If he's healthy and able to shoot the 3 and defend with some poise, that gives more freedom to work with.

Carlisle said that the hope is that he can help this year. So it definitely sounds like a wait and see process.

As for Odom, the options behind him are very limited, so they have to make it work. Personally, I don't think he was that bad heading into the Lakers game. The energy was improving. The thing that was lacking were the shots going in. He was good at facilitating for guys and showing good poise with blocks. It's just way too up and down with game-to-game analysis. I know he wasn't great earlier, but I did see an uptick after he came back.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Yeah move Carter to the backup 3 and Marion can rest before Dirk comes out of the game. Similar to what Beaubois has done lately switching between the 2 and backup 1.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd characterize anything concerning Lamar Odom as up and down. Yes, he has had some very brief ups, but the downs are much more significant than the ups.. The highs aren't that high and aren't that frequent. The lows have endless depth and are extremely frequent.

Sounds like we've got progress.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The Mavs have to see what they have in Azubuike (I hate spelling that name) first before they can really figure things out. If he's healthy and able to shoot the 3 and defend with some poise, that gives more freedom to work with.

Carlisle said that the hope is that he can help this year. So it definitely sounds like a wait and see process.

As for Odom, the options behind him are very limited, so they have to make it work. Personally, I don't think he was that bad heading into the Lakers game. The energy was improving. The thing that was lacking were the shots going in. He was good at facilitating for guys and showing good poise with blocks. It's just way too up and down with game-to-game analysis. I know he wasn't great earlier, but I did see an uptick after he came back.
I really didn't mind his offense, even if the numbers weren't there. He drove a lot and got a lot of layups-- just missed them. He seemed genuinely angry with himself. I don't like to see that on the court because it seemed to impact the next possession, but at least he showed he cared. Had those 3-4 layup attempts gone in, the box would have looked better. It was just one of those games where no one was making shots that they usually did. If it wasn't a trend for him, he'd probably get a pass from people but its been the norm. Still, I liked the commentators that said they judged a shot on its way up and not based on its result. If you judged only the selection of shots based on aggression, location and position, he'd have fared well.

His defense also wasn't optimal and sometimes lacked intensity (in addition to his brain farts) but it is an improvement for him.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #30
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

looks like we found terry's replacement in 2012
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #31
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

great pick.Mark well done!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

A little surprising, but it still makes good sense. He was rotation caliber before he got injured, and Dallas hasn't really had anybody with a prototypical SG frame all season, so bringing him in will be good for roster balance.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #33
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

Not Important! What is though is finding a way to get rid of Lamar and getting a center asap this offseason, atleast to me nothing else matters.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #34
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I actually meant to put Marion as a starter at the 3 - gonna blame my phone for that one (stupid little screens...)

Kidd/West/Roddy
Marion/Carter/Azubuike
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Wright/Mahinmi

Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #36
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I actually meant to put Marion as a starter at the 3 - gonna blame my phone for that one (stupid little screens...)

Kidd/West/Roddy
Marion/Carter/Azubuike
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Wright/Mahinmi
I'd still like West to start when he is healthy, Roddy's defense has regressed the past couple of weeks.

Kidd/West/Roddy
West/Jet/Roddy
Marion/Carter/Azubuike
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Wright/Mahinmi
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #37
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I'd still like West to start when he is healthy, Roddy's defense has regressed the past couple of weeks.

Kidd/West/Roddy
West/Jet/Roddy
Marion/Carter/Azubuike
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Wright/Mahinmi
We had no trouble starting games. It was our bench that got us into trouble. See the Laker game. And Roddy's defensive slippage probably has to do with his increased minutes. Keep him under 20 minutes a game and he'll put in much more effort defensively. The same could be said for West, Terry, and Kidd. None should have to carry too much of a load.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
West should probably be the ONLY guy who backs up Kidd - I don't trust Roddy at the 1 nearly as much as I do at the 2. Plus, I don't know if there'd be enough minutes left for West at shooting guard with Roddy, JET, Carter and possibly Azubuike eating up playtime...

Last edited by Underdog; 03-23-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #39
ottawasucks

ottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the rough

We all saw how key knockdown 3 point shooters were last year. This could be a momentum pickup.
ottawasucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
looks like we found terry's replacement in 2012

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote