Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #201
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Young players struggle.
How long is that going to be a crutch? This is his 3rd year in the league and he is 24 years old.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #202
41N

41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light

i don't understand this roddy bashing. yeah, after his first year everybody imagined him to be a key contributor (at least) at this time but you have to look at the circumstances roddy went through.

obviously he had injuries which made a whole new player out of him. he isn't as fearless as he was as a rookie. in addition he played almost exclusively as a sg, in my opinion the only position he could and should play. especially when you have a hof pg on your side.

also you can see that this guy is very sensitive and his body languange/facial expressions on bad nights unveils his whole personality. carlisle knows how to work with veterans but he can't handle young players. i hate roddys stupid plays as much as everyone but if he makes just one, you can see rick barking at him and/or benching him. and thats the problem because guys like jet, vince and delonte make them as regularly as roddy. could you imagine what rick would do with roddy if he would take a transitions jumper like jet? he would bench his ass.

and i think you should either trust roddy and let him play through his mistakes or you trade him for a solid veteran. both won't work.

and don't act like jj was the next michael jordan. last year he couldn't hit wide open jumpers at the beginning of the season and his defense was solely based on flopping. nobody wanted him here. but he turned the corner because rick believed in him. and is there someone who believes that roddy wouldn't have better stats with minnesota than these?

minutes 21.2
fg% 0.386
3p% 0.325
rpg 2.6
apg 4.3
spg 0.4
bpg 0.0
to 2.1
ppg 9.6

you could feel jjs confidence the moment he came in and thats, in my opinion, the biggest difference to roddy...
41N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #203
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
How long is that going to be a crutch? This is his 3rd year in the league and he is 24 years old.
My goodness. This is not on you personally, but the whole Roddy topic goes way overboard (again).

Roddy sucked in this one, but the more alarming sign is that, once again, the veteran core failed badly. Of course, like against Utah, it would be nice for Roddy and the team if he could just chip in and save us all from a terrible loss, but do you honestly expect that? Seems like most of the peeps rooting against him use the standard of "the savior" to dismantle him.

"Hey look, Roddy can't save us when all the other guys suck, I told you. He's a crutch!"

This team goes as far as the veterans go, Roddy is a spark player. Not more but also not less. He played 35 games (13+ minutes outside garbage time), in 15 he was pretty darn good, in 9 awful, and the other ones were from mediocre to subpar (11). Overall he has helped the team in more games than not (22-13).

I'd say that's great for your 8th-10th player in the rotation. Be pleased. Not many teams have a player worth garbage, that has a 62% chance to have a solid outing.

Last edited by j0Shi; 04-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #204
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roddy sucked in this one, but the more alarming sign is that, once again, the veteran core failed badly. Of course, like against Utah, it would be nice for Roddy and the team if he could just chip in and save us all from a terrible loss, but do you honestly expect that? Seems like most of the peeps rooting against him use the standard of "the savior" to dismantle him.
No, I expect him to use his talent to get in the lane and draw contact. Not go in the lane once in a blue moon... and then avoid the contact at all costs when he does and try that overhead no look flip shot that he shoots.

I expect him to use his speed off the pick and rroll and get in the lane and wreak havoc.

I don't believe that is too much to ask. There was a reason Carlisle showed him tape of Barea. He wants Roddy to do the same things I just said. Unfortunately Roddy is too dumb to to it. Too scared of injury to do it. Or doesn't care. And does it really matter which out of the three is the reason why WILL NOT continually get in the lane?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #205
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfg7 View Post
I like how I'm "the other guy". You strive for your posts to be more quality than quantity and yet I'm less recognizable than mavsfan1000.
I figured Bayliss might not know your name so I used the other guy so he would know that I am talking about the guy who made the last thread. I meant no insult to your person, sorry if it came across like I didn't care who you are.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG

Last edited by GhostFace; 04-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #206
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, I expect him to use his talent to get in the lane and draw contact. Not go in the lane once in a blue moon... and then avoid the contact at all costs when he does and try that overhead no look flip shot that he shoots.

I expect him to use his speed off the pick and rroll and get in the lane and wreak havoc.

I don't believe that is too much to ask. There was a reason Carlisle showed him tape of Barea. He wants Roddy to do the same things I just said. Unfortunately Roddy is too dumb to to it. Too scared of injury to do it. Or doesn't care. And does it really matter which out of the three is the reason why WILL NOT continually get in the lane?
And I expect Terry not to have at least three brainfarts per game, Kidd not to throw long passes that end up as turnovers, Haywood not to shoot jumpers, Dirk to rebound better, Marion to hit a dunk here and there and Odom to show effort.

We don't always get what we think is best for the team, but that doesn't mean the players aren't valuable.

Last edited by j0Shi; 04-03-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #207
j0Shi
Diamond Member

By the way: Hoopdata says Roddy is at 2.7 makes at the rim per 40 minutes right now, JJB had 3.1 last year. JJB made one more free throw per 40 (3.2 to 2.2) though and I agree that Roddy should at least get five per 40 with his skill-set, but overall that's not far off and the defensive upgrade probably comes up for it by a mile.

So this whole JJB <> Roddy argument is partly a myth as well.

Last edited by j0Shi; 04-03-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #208
Bayliss

Quote:
By the way: Hoopdata says Roddy is at 2.7 makes at the rim per 40 minutes right now, JJB had 3.1 last year.
Besides "Per 36/40/48" being pretty useless stat... does it break down at the rim attempts by fast breaks as oppised to halfcourt opportunities? Because I am willing to bet that most of Barea's at the rim attempts came in the halfcourt while most of Roddy's attempts come on the fastbreak. Big difference in which ones are hurting the defense.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #209
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
By the way: Hoopdata says Roddy is at 2.7 makes at the rim per 40 minutes right now, JJB had 3.1 last year. JJB made one more free throw per 40 (3.2 to 2.2) though and I agree that Roddy should at least get five per 40 with his skill-set, but overall that's not far off and the defensive upgrade probably comes up for it by a mile.

So this whole JJB <> Roddy argument is partly a myth as well.
Man...you can spout numbers until you are blue in the face. But jjb has twice the cajones that roddy is showing out there offensively. He's still staying pretty engaged defensively.

It's his indecisiveness ( and odoms ) that is killing him. That and an aversion to any contact.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #210
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Besides "Per 36/40/48" being pretty useless stat... does it break down at the rim attempts by fast breaks as oppised to halfcourt opportunities? Because I am willing to bet that most of Barea's at the rim attempts came in the halfcourt while most of Roddy's attempts come on the fastbreak. Big difference in which ones are hurting the defense.
No it doesn't. Roddy scores 16% of his points off opponents turnovers, Barea 13% last year. That's all I got.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #211
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Man...you can spout numbers until you are blue in the face. But jjb has twice the cajones that roddy is showing out there offensively. He's still staying pretty engaged defensively.

It's his indecisiveness ( and odoms ) that is killing him. That and an aversion to any contact.
Avoids contact:

Invites contact:

Guess who gets to the FT line more?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #212
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm late to the party here...but what weird turn did this conversation take, such that Roddy B is now being mentioned alongside JJ Barea?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote