Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
DULLAH

DULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Carlisle expects Phil to grow tired of smoking peyote...

For a long time, I've thaught Rick Carlisle to be a lame. A nerd, a dork, a dweeb, if you will. A damned good coach, but a little bit of a tight@ss, who wasn't particularly cool in any personable way. Granted, I am judging the man by his public interviews, which is often not the best barometer to judge a person by.

I must say, I like Rick Carlisle a little more for speaking of peyote use in an endearing manner when referring to the greatest basketball coach in history...

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...g-peyote-.html

And my real question is........how many of you think Phil is really done ??
Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been a big Carlisle fan..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I'm sure Jackson will be delighted to go coach LeBron and Company in Miami in a couple of years when Spoelstra gets fired.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

A reporter brought that up to Phil and he replied, "you don't smoke peyote..."

link

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-09-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
blakepilot

blakepilot will become famous soon enough

Phil will be done until the next time he can inherit a championship caliber team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Knicks sideline in a couple years.
blakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
Phil will be done until the next time he can inherit a championship caliber team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Knicks sideline in a couple years.

I don't get it - you say he'll be done until he can inherit a championship-caliber team and then you say he'll be coaching the Knicks? What does one have to do with the other??

Last edited by Underdog; 05-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
blakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

I don't get it - you say he'll be done until he can inherit a championship-caliber team and then you say he'll be coaching the Knicks? What does one have to do with the other??
Knicks can buy a team to build it. They're trying, at least. Look, I think Phil is a great coach, but he's been extremely fortunate to be installed in some of the already great franchises in NBA history. That's what I'm trying to say.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Underdog

Quote:
Knicks can buy a team to build it. They're trying, at least.
No they can't - ALL their money is in Amare & Melo and that's only good for a 1st-round sweep in the East...

I think Phil will stay retired - circumstance will probably dictate his decision.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
blakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
circumstance will probably dictate his decision.
Exactly...just like his return from retirement to the Lakers after saying he'll 'never coach again', he took over a team that was prime for a championship run, and got 3 consecutive pretty much right off the bat. If that ain't luck, then I don't know what is. Same situation in Chicago. Became head coach in '89 and won 3 rings starting in '90-'91 season with no significant personnel changes. Then we all know where that headed. I don't buy for a second that he won't go coach a team that's pretty much just add water champions.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but I think he's just about the luckiest coach in history. Every team he's taken over has pretty much instantly won 3 championships. You can't argue with his record, but he's also got to reap a lot of success from some of the best players in NBA history.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Exactly...just like his return from retirement to the Lakers after saying he'll 'never coach again', he took over a team that was prime for a championship run, and got 3 consecutive pretty much right off the bat. If that ain't luck, then I don't know what is. Same situation in Chicago. Became head coach in '89 and won 3 rings starting in '90-'91 season with no significant personnel changes. Then we all know where that headed. I don't buy for a second that he won't go coach a team that's pretty much just add water champions.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but I think he's just about the luckiest coach in history. Every team he's taken over has pretty much instantly won 3 championships. You can't argue with his record, but he's also got to reap a lot of success from some of the best players in NBA history.
Would MJ and Pippen enjoyed the same success with just any coach? Would just any coach have meshed Shaq and Kobe into 3 straight....then again he more or less could have a few more in that string with Shaq and Kobe, if he got in the middle of those 2 and worked his magic. Well if odds are that he will be back, when do the Miami rumors start. He did mentioned being connected with Jeanne on the business side of the Lakers. So if all things go according to the Zen Master he's in Miami eventually....or does he pick it up when Howard gets to LA.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin mchale's bong, lsd, peyote cactus, phil jackson, psychedelics, rick carlisle, wat is peyote