Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #41
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Of the 4 divisional round games, chargers v jets was one the one I figured to be a slam dunk for the home team. This is why I don't bet on NFL games.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Vikings/Jets Super Bowl

ESPN would have a Favre-gasm over that one.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe Dirty Sanchez is this close to a super bowl.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #44
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I can't believe Dirty Sanchez is this close to a super bowl.
Talk about an apt facial hair growth too...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #45
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised we lost, but jeez, I didn't think it would be a beatdown like that. Our offensive line was ridiculously over-matched. That's definitely the number one area of concern that needs to be addressed in the offseason.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #46
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Vikes/Colts Superbowl. But since my predictions were 0-4 this week, it'll end up being Saints/Jets.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #47
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'm not surprised we lost, but jeez, I didn't think it would be a beatdown like that. Our offensive line was ridiculously over-matched. That's definitely the number one area of concern that needs to be addressed in the offseason.
I'm actually surprised that NOBODY has been talking about the fact that we lost Flozell Adams in the first quarter. He was the difference-maker, especially with Colombo still visibly hobbled. Romo didn't have a snowball's chance in hell when we shifted Witten over to try to help block Edwards or Allen.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm actually surprised that NOBODY has been talking about the fact that we lost Flozell Adams in the first quarter. He was the difference-maker, especially with Colombo still visibly hobbled. Romo didn't have a snowball's chance in hell when we shifted Witten over to try to help block Edwards or Allen.
True, but Adams is the one guy I think really needs to be replaced next year. Dude is 34 years old and his protection this year was spotty I thought. I thought he was the weakest link for most of the year.

You're right though. The effect of losing him in the first quarter can't be overstated. It reminded me a lot of the Green Bay game. As soon as colombo went out, the O-line fell apart. Same thing happened yesterday with Adams.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #49
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
True, but Adams is the one guy I think really needs to be replaced next year. Dude is 34 years old and his protection this year was spotty I thought. I thought he was the weakest link for most of the year.

You're right though. The effect of losing him in the first quarter can't be overstated. It reminded me a lot of the Green Bay game. As soon as colombo went out, the O-line fell apart. Same thing happened yesterday with Adams.
Yeah, I'd say adding depth to the o-line is our top priority this offseason, along with finding a consistent kicker.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #50
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty awesome stuff today so far.

And I'd like to thank the Colts. I thought for a minute there that they were going to allow the Jets to ruin the super bowl.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #51
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

anyone know the name of that U2 song they just played for the Datona 500?

nvm found it.

Last edited by Windmill360; 01-24-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #52
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Where were the Viking turnovers last week?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #53
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

ahahah Farve intercepted, game goes into overtime. Wow.

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 01-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #54
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

get the hell out of here favre
Old 01-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #55
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome last throw for Fav-re!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #56
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Classic Favre! Loved it.

Saints seriously need to fix their short game. They were like 0-5 on 3rd and short. That's how it wasn't a blowout even though the vikings had 5 turnovers.

That last drive gave me 4 heart attacks. Saints receivers bobbling everything, the vikings dropping that tipped ball, the meachem catch that i'm pretty sure wasn't even a catch, and then a game-winner by a kicker that had only 11 attempts on the season...

That kick from hartley, though. Man, that could be the most perfect straight-through-the-middle-of-the-uprights kick I have ever seen. Especially out of game winners from over 40 yards by saints kickers that have been suspended for the use of performance-enhancing drugs. that narrows it down a bit...

GEAUX SAINTS!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #57
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

# First pass in a competitive NFL game was an INT.
# Last NFL pass in a competitive NFL game was an INT.

The symmetry and beauty is very compelling.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #58
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
anyone know the name of that U2 song they just played for the Datona 500?

nvm found it.
I'm really not sure how I feel about that song being in that commercial. That's probably my all-time favorite U2 song and means a lot to me personally. I wonder if the Daytona people know that it's about heroin addiction.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 AM   #59
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

peyton manning
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 AM   #60
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
peyton manning
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
peyton manning
Insightful
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #61
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Does anything more really need to be said? 26/39 377 yards 3 TD. Peyton freakin' Manning is the man.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Garcon really has come a long way this season. Early on he was dropping EVERYTHING. His speed allowed him to get open, but he was just dropping passes.

But now, he is making tough catches when he just has a step or 2. His emergence (as well as collie) allowed the colts to make revis a complete non-factor.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #63
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The Vikings lost that game through Turnovers.

They let the Saints hang around long enough for a final overtime drive that become a game winner for the Saints with a little help from the zebras.

No I am NOT blaming the officials, I am blaming the Turnovers for allowing the game to get to that position.

The issues, I had...on the Pass Interference call in OT...what about the block in the back, Brees was about to be sacked when the Viking player gets blocked in the back allowing Brees a split second more time to attempt the pass...not to mention it was uncatchable and from the replays there was no pass interference in the 1st place.

Then the ball that hit the turf and was called a catch...Timeout Vikings...plays goes to the replay booth were you can clearly see the ball hits the turf, and they come back and let the play stand as a catch.

I truly hate watching a game get decided with referee assistance...if it happens early in the game, then a team has an opportunity to overcome the damage...but in this case, the final drive, the Vikings never had an opportunity, after the contraversy.

Again that being said, the Vikings turned the ball over too many times and suffered the consequences.

On that note, we have both #1 seeds in the Superbowl...anybody have some stats? How often has that happened? Anyone have a list of who and what years?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #64
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Then the ball that hit the turf and was called a catch...Timeout Vikings...plays goes to the replay booth were you can clearly see the ball hits the turf, and they come back and let the play stand as a catch.
Yea, but isn't the call based on whether the receiver maintains possession through contact with the ground? It looked like he had the ball pinned pretty snugly between his hand and his crotch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
The issues, I had...on the Pass Interference call in OT...what about the block in the back, Brees was about to be sacked when the Viking player gets blocked in the back allowing Brees a split second more time to attempt the pass...not to mention it was uncatchable and from the replays there was no pass interference in the 1st place.
It looked sort of catchable if Dave Thomas hadn't been falling down already. Refs have certainly called PI on worse passes than that. And while I don't recall the blocking, I do remember wondering where the contact was.

But who's gonna say no to this:

Is this ghost ball??
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #65
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Dirk, gotta spread some rep around before giving to you again...

but i agree completely. First on the meachem catch/no catch. I'm still not sure 100% as to whether it was a catch but i don't think there was enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. The ball did not seem to move, he had it pinned well against his leg.

As for the Pass Interference call - it sucks that it happened, but i agree i have seen FAR FAR FAR worse called.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #66
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

This is the first time since 1993 the two #1 seeds face each other.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #67
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Glad the Vikings lost. They had it coming to them.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote