Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-13-2001, 07:02 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Could this be his way of attracting upcoming free agents?

Report cites 'source very close to Jordan'

Associated Press

NEW YORK – Could Michael Jordan's next big acquisition for the Washington Wizards be ... Michael Jordan?

Citing a source identified only as being "very close to Jordan," Sports Illustrated columnist Rick Reilly reported in this week's edition the former NBA great is "90 percent committed" to making a comeback next season with the Wizards.

A Jordan comeback has been fueled by reports he is working out – with some saying he was spending up to six hours a day in a gym to get back into playing shape.

Jordan told The Washington Post on March 8 that a comeback "has not crossed my mind, but I will never say never."

"The first time I said never, I ended up coming back, but I can say that there's a 99.9 percent chance that I am not coming back," he said.

He told the Post that the main reason he has no intention of playing is that he would have to sell his interest in the Wizards, which he does not want to do. He owns between 5 percent and 10 percent of the team, with the option of owning up to 20 percent.

He acknowledged to the Post that he has been working out, but only because he is up to 240 pounds and wants to "get back to a respectable weight to help me get back into my suits."

Jordan, who last played in 1998, did not return a telephone call Tuesday from The Associated Press.

Source: Report cites 'source very close to Jordan'
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
Strago

Strago is on a distinguished road

At least in Chicago he had a decent team when he came back, what does MJ have in Washington?

I am skeptical he is coming back. Jordan would have to give up being the Wiz president and the stake of ownership in the team. Does he want to play again that badly?
Old 03-13-2001, 08:44 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

He ain't coming back. He's just tired of everybody else being in the spot light. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 10:02 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Now NBAtalk's reporting the possible return of Barkley [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Can this possibly be any more ludicrous?!

The Third Coming of Michael Jordan According to Rick Reilly of SportsIllustrated, His Airness is 90% committed to coming back, Reports SI: "According to a source very close to Jordan, he is "90 percent committed" to making a comeback next season with the Washington Wizards, for whom he would play for the minimum $1 million to clear more room under the salary cap for a top-drawer free agent. The Round Mound of Sound, TNT analyst [Charles] Barkley, would quit that gig and play for the minimum too, providing he can lose the equivalent of a ninth-grader. Having accidentally swallowed the MetLife blimp on his way to 337 pounds, he's already down 30 pounds in the last month." Of course, there are obstacles including family approval, ownership red tape and weight. But the rumors are getting hot!

Source: NBAtalk Rumors
Old 03-13-2001, 11:35 PM   #5
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Rob,
I don't appreciate your comments one bit. I think you owe Michael Jordan and all of his fans an apology.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:21 AM   #6
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I don't see it happening. They would have to trade Richmond and more importantly Rip Hamilton, unless Jordan plays SF or something.
Old 03-14-2001, 01:18 AM   #7
djb
Administrator

Actually the Wiz are planning to buy out Richmond's contract at the end of the season. Also, Jordan said he'd be willing to play for the $1 million veteran minimum (yea right).
Old 03-14-2001, 03:25 PM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if he would win executive of the year if he signed himself?
Old 03-14-2001, 04:23 PM   #9
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Reports of Jordan winning Exec of the Year for screwing himself over in the Howard trade (both talent-wise and cap-wise, actually) and waiving Rod Strickland are ludicrous...
Old 03-14-2001, 04:53 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Jordan, but his trading this year has been akin to the Indians giving up Manhattan for beads and fire water...
Old 04-09-2001, 11:47 PM   #11
Hales233
Golden Member

Pollin tells Post his gut tells him MJ returning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

WASHINGTON – The owner of the Washington Wizards said he has a "gut feeling" that Michael Jordan will return to the NBA next season.

In a story running on the front page of Tuesday's Washington Post, Wizards majority owner Abe Pollin said he believes the odds are that Jordan will play for the Wizards next season. Pollin stressed that he did not know if Jordan has made up his mind yet.

"The odds are that he's going to come back," Pollin said. "I think he's going to decide whether he's going to be able to play at the level that is satisfying to him."

Jordan, a part-owner and president of basketball operations for Washington, has consistently said that he's 99.9 percent sure he'll never play again.

He was unavailable for comment Monday night.

Pollin stressed to the Post that he was simply stating his opinion. "What I said was my gut feeling," Pollin said. "It's his decision. I didn't think he'd come back when I first heard the talk. But when Mario Lemieux came back to the Penguins, it stirred something in Michael."

Lemieux, one of the owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins, returned to the ice in December after retiring at the end of the 1997 season and led the Penguins into the playoffs.

Pollin said he thinks Jordan, who won six NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls, is going through a self-examination of sorts. Jordan has been working out recently, including practicing with the Wizards.

"He's certainly working at seeing if he feels like he can" return, Pollin said. "He's told me when he has something to say about it, he'll tell me.

"We'd welcome him with open arms," said Pollin, whose team's 18-59 record is third worst in the NBA. "It's his decision. It would have to be in his interest to come back and he would not do it unless he could perform at the standard he set for himself.

"But it would be very exciting for everyone."

In order for Jordan to play again under NBA rules, he would have to divest his ownership interest in the Wizards – although he could find a caretaker to purchase his stake sell it back to him when he stops playing.

"I am working out because I got up to 240 pounds and I'm trying to lose weight," Jordan said last month. "People are taking this stuff way too far, but I can't control what people write or think so I'm not going to address this any more."

Some of the speculation about Jordan's return has been fueled by Jordan's close friend, Charles Barkley, who has said he would like to play with Jordan in Washington next season.

Jordan retired in 1993 after winning three NBA titles and tried to make a career in professional baseball. But he returned for the NBA playoffs in 1995 and played through 1998, winning three more titles.

Old 04-09-2001, 11:47 PM   #12
Hales233
Golden Member

and Rob, I still expect that apology.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:30 PM   #13
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I think he would still be MVP material if he returned. I heard he schooled Darius Miles and Quinten Richardson at his place when they came over. But I still doubt his return. Is Barkley comming back?
Old 04-10-2001, 11:05 PM   #14
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I change my mind. I heard the GM of the Wizards say he expects a comeback. I bet it happens.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:08 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

The Round Mound of Rebound is a little too round these days. If he comes back without losing all that extra pudge, things could get mighty embarrassing.