Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-10-2001, 11:37 AM   #1
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

ESPN is reporting that Michigan State's Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph are turning pro. Of course, I'd like to see both these Spartans stay in school, but on the other hand, I'd also like to see both of them in Mavs Uniforms next fall.

Especially Richardson, does anyone else think his game is exactly similar to Finley's?? Mike would be the perfect tutor for Jason IMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I know it would be great for either of them to be with the Mavs, but I'm opposed to any one leaving school early. I think it would be good for their basketball future, but if they get perminantly injured or just suck in the NBA, they willl have something to fall back on.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:32 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with their decisions at all. richardson would be THE MAN next year with Bell and Hutson gone, and would only better his draft chances next year. Randolph is definitely not ready. neither is eddy curry. the only decalartions that make sense are murphy, forte (he'll declare), griffin (he was going to declare out of high school, he's had trouble at seton hall, and his coach just left for michigan), and maybe jefferson.

the nba is drooling over the large number of guys coming out, but i think the players fail to realize that unless they are an amazing player, all these players coming out will only drop them out of the lottery, where the big bucks are. take michael wright for example. he's good, but with all the other players coming out, i don't see him going in the lottery.
Old 04-11-2001, 09:22 AM   #4
Hales233
Golden Member

No way Forte is ready...he played like crap at the end of the regular season, into the ACC Tournament, and the NCAA's.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:25 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

He's ready, even though he played like crap. he led the ACC in scoring. his decision to leave makes sense to me since his coming back wouldn't be beneficial in any way. He's not going to increase his draft status, and UNC is not going to win a title next year if he comes back, so he has nothing to lose.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:31 AM   #6
Hales233
Golden Member

i dunno man. i think he can probably play at the pro level now, but like Flying Tiger said, I'm never in favor of a player leaving school early. a lot of high profile players have choked and then they dont have an education to fall back on.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:44 AM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh, i don't agree with coming out early either. i'm just saying their situations make more sense than others.

but it's the same with high schoolers. I don't blame those kids for coming out early. if i were in their shoes, i would jump at the chance to make all kinds of money as a lottery pick, even if i sat the bench. the teams that draft the high schoolers are to blame. If the nba teams are going to keep drafting high schoolers and other early entrees that high, they'll keep coming out early. and to a lot of nba teams, it's worth the risk to draft a project in the hopes that they will become a KG, Kobe, or T-Mac.

it's one big messy situation.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:53 PM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

Add Jason Gardner's name (U of A) to the growing list of early entrants...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2001, 11:00 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have met and drank with Zach Randolph before. He went to Marion H.S. in Indiana, and worked for one of my roommates fathers over the last three Summer's (at one of his dry cleaners- and when not playing AAU). Zach is not a smart man. He has at least one illegitimate child (dating back to his junior year in H.S.), and is still on probation for his part in a robbery. That said, if we could move into the first round to get the guy, he would be just the kind of developing, athletic, physical beast which would complement our core players very nicely... If he hadn't entered the draft, my bet is that he would have gotten into some major trouble at Michigan State down the line(the second of two times I saw him, he was smoking a blunt on a porch in Marion- and he didn't care if strangers saw him)...
Old 04-11-2001, 11:01 PM   #10
Hales233
Golden Member

sounds like a real classy kid [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

(i like his game though)
Old 04-12-2001, 12:23 AM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I have to correct my assertion that he was charged with robbery. In actuality he was charged with recieving stolen goods since he was in possession of some of the largesse of the robbery, but could not be directly linked to it (although the suspects were all his buddies)... He spent thirty days in a home for juvenile delinquents, but he is actually a pretty darn nice guy (from what I saw the two times we hung out with him, and from what some of my friends would vigorously argue)... Incidentally, it's good to see your still here Hales. It looks like the stuff with Rob (that I just read) is regrettable... It's all good though...