Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-06-2001, 10:25 AM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe Bryant on the Block!?!- The L.A. feud between Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal goes beyond personal animosities. It goes to the very core of Lakers coach Phil Jackson's views and Bryant's commitment. That divide may never be bridged; it's not whether Shaq and Kobe can begrudgingly coexist, but whether Bryant can ever survive with O'Neal and Jackson. It's why, according to Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith, many close to the Lakers believe Bryant will be traded this summer if the team doesn't repeat. There's already been preliminary explorations, according to Smith, and three potential deals have surfaced. 1) Bryant to the Suns for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion. L.A. loves this deal, for obvious reasons. Kidd's entirely unselfish, and Marion's athleticism rivals any guy in the league. Why would the Suns do it? Because early exits don't impress fans. Kobe could be the No. 1 draw in the NBA. He's a player a team could sell and build around. He's only 22, still on the rise. 2) Bryant to the Raptors for Vince Carter and Antonio Davis. It would have to be a sign-and-trade because Davis can become a free agent. Carter's a star big enough to replace Bryant, and Davis is a rugged rebounding machine. Why would Toronto do it? Years. They won't acknowledge it, but Carter is leaving. Davis, too. Bryant has four years left on his contract, which gives the Raps breathing room and saves the franchise. 3) Bryant to the Orlando Magic for Tracy McGrady and Mike Miller. O'Neal talks about McGrady being team-oriented—and he has the kind of versatility Jackson likes. Miller's a solid sniper for Phil's system. Why would Orlando do it? It might not. The Magic is the most unlikely partner, since they resent the Lakers after losing O'Neal as a free agent. But Bryant is tempting because he draws crowds, which McGrady hasn't done yet in Orlando. . .Of course, all this is risky for the Lakers as O'Neal approaches 30. He'd probably yield to Bryant in a few years anyway. But if the Lakers fizzle in the playoffs, expect to hear about these deals and more.

1. Bryant to the Suns for Kidd and Marion
2. Bryant to the Raptors for Carter and Davis
3. Bryant to the Magic for T-Mac and Miller

Personally, I'd jump on ANY of these deals! Either one would be a complete steal for the Lakers. They'd be champs for sure with any one of those!

Source: NBAtalk Rumors
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2001, 11:23 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Hell yeah, I'd do any of those deals in a heartbeat. But I'd do the T-Mac/Miller deal first [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 02:45 PM   #3
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

do you really think those teams would go for any of those deals? i don't understand the over valuing of Kome's skills. Yeah, he's damn good, but he is not THAT good. Another media creation...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 03:41 PM   #4
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

kobe is young and has a tremendous amount of talent. he's shown signs of greatness as well...does anyone think that he'll become a complete player anytime soon? someone that will pass the ball when needed? well, he seems to be to self absorbed. i'll agree with cj,...take any of those deals
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 07:48 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

If I were the lakers I would jump on the suns deal like a starving dog on meat. Can you imagine Shaq in the post, Kidd on the point, and Marion anywhere in between @.@

As to why other teams might do it--Orlando wouldn't; the Raptors might because Kobe is tied up for longer than Carter. They get more time to try to build a team around him. The Suns, I really doubt would do the deal--unless they decided that the group they had were never going to make it past the first round--in which case blowing up the team and starting over with Kobe as the cornerstone makes some sense. Not because Kobe is a greater player than Kidd but because the one thing he definitely does is draw media and fans.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 09:03 PM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I my gosh! VC on the Lakers, the would be sweet!
Old 04-10-2001, 05:31 PM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

If Shaq couldn't coexist with Kobe, he wouldn't coexist with Vince either. The best deal would be the SUNS. Kidd on the Lakers and Marion. They could get rid of Fox, Grant and Harper. They would be UNSTOPPABLE. A starting line up of Kidd, Houston, Marion, Horry and Shaq. (There's talk of Houston wanting to talk sign this summer with the Lakers).
Old 04-12-2001, 12:27 AM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been predicting Kobe for Stephon Marbury for a long, long time (just ask Ape or Mavinator)... They can be traded straight up for each other this Summer, and the deal would make a lot of sense for both teams...
Old 04-12-2001, 01:22 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Thats right Evil - but these other deals seem to be a ton better than the Marbury one. If the Lakers can nab Kidd-Marion or McGrady-Miller, they would be REALLY scary. Marbury doesn't scare me at all - he'd just make the "ME" lakers even worse. I sure hope the Lakers don't pick up kidd, that would really hurt.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 02:22 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if those other teams would necesarily make those deals... I will stick by my guns with my longstanding Marbury predictions...
Old 04-12-2001, 03:15 PM   #11
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I think that it would be best for the Lakers if they could just get along with the team they have. But I don't see that happening.