Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
mavfanfromokla

mavfanfromokla is on a distinguished road
Default why does barkley hate the mavs?

Can someone explain to me why barkley seems to hate the mavs so much? this has been going on the last few years. any idea on why?
mavfanfromokla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I think it has to do something with Nowitzki. He saw play in Germany and offered to cover his expenses if he went to Auburn to play. But Nowitzki refused him and I think it started from there.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Barkley can suck it.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

and Dirk called him a moron in 02-03, when he was injured in the conference finals...

Barkley said that the mavs don't have a chance and the series is over, and they actually won a game with small ball. The next day when Dirk was told about Barkley he said, "What a moron"..

Then they told Barkley about that, and he started going off on Dirk -- "he never had to play against me" and crap like that. Ever since then, the mavs hate has been going on.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

It's just a bit.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I have learned to love Barkley for what he is. A great basketball player in his time who has earned any right to hate any team he wants. Doesn't mean you have to agree with his rants. But, you do listen..

Now Kenny, this is another story. I mute when he talks. He takes so long to get his point out that I forget what he is saying.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
pickupyonuts

pickupyonuts will become famous soon enoughpickupyonuts will become famous soon enough

WHAT!?! you don't listen to kenny? He made Olojowon the player he was. he also is the one that makes sam casell the player that he is...because they talk on the phone sometimes.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs hate from Barkley is just a bit. But its roots run deep.

There is the often repeated but never proven story that Barkley saw Dirk play in Europe and tried but failed to get him to go to Charles old school, Auburn.

I think the real deal is that Nellie and Dirk's Mavs put the nail in the coffin of Barkley style ball. His game was the isolation, slow down, back your way into the low post with his big butt and hit a turnaround jumper from 5 feet, and get a foul. He was great at it, although I preferred Aguire's version of it. But it was a slow and ugly brand of basketball. It took Nellie's Mavs and Dirk's 3's to remind the league that the game should be fun to watch. The NBA allowed zone defenses to eliminate isolations and changed the hand checking rule to open the game up for guys like Kobe, Nash and Terry. Barkley-ball was so dominant, I believe they changed the rules to get rid of it, and I think Charles resents that. And blames the Mavs.

He's been ragging on the Mavs weak D for so long, he can't stop no matter how they change. He won't until they win a championship. which is fine. I'm just thinking of how sweet it will be when the Mavs shut him up for good. How about this June?

I was at the game. How did he explain the Mavs hold the Grizz to 4 points for the first 1/2 of the 4th quarter?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the truth is that at one time or another Cuban told Charles Barkley we had jelly-filled doughnuts in a press room and much to Chuck's dismay, there was only regular glazed.

And needless to say, it's been personal ever since.

All nonsense aside, I think the level of respect is relatively fair. We haven't been champions so don't put us on the Spurs or Pistons level. Keep us with the Heat, the Suns and whoever else that has just been a contender. Whatever little beef Charles has against us is all okay. It will only make vindication that much tastier. Yum.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 04-24-2006 at 02:05 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:43 AM   #10
cchen39

cchen39 is on a distinguished road

Deep down I think Chuck is a Mavs fan. He's extra tough on them because he expects nothing but the very best out of team. Sort of like how Devin got the Nellie treatment last year or Parcell's tough love with his players.

I mean why else he picked us over the Suns series last year and picked Dirk as MVP, Avery as Coach of the Year, and Stack as 6th Men of the Year.

But then again, I may be wrong.
cchen39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 AM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen39
Deep down I think Chuck is a Mavs fan. He's extra tough on them because he expects nothing but the very best out of team. Sort of like how Devin got the Nellie treatment last year or Parcell's tough love with his players.

I mean why else he picked us over the Suns series last year and picked Dirk as MVP, Avery as Coach of the Year, and Stack as 6th Men of the Year.

But then again, I may be wrong.
No, I don't think Charles is a Mavs fan, no matter how deep down you get. He's been giving the Mavs shit for years now, and still hasn't gotten off of San Antonio's nuts.

As for him picking us over the Suns last year? Well, I think he had doubts about how their style would hold up as he always had with the Mavs, and saw us as the more fundamentally sound team.

And him picking Dirk as MVP and AJ as coach of the year? Well... he has eyes....

Stack for 6th man of the year? I'm sorry, but Stack has become by far and away the most overrated Maverick around the league. He looked like the 6th man of the year earlier in the season, but then his dumbness kicked in and he forgot what his strengths are. As a result, his numbers plummetted. Mike Miller should win the award.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:24 AM   #12
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
The Mavs hate from Barkley is just a bit. But its roots run deep.

There is the often repeated but never proven story that Barkley saw Dirk play in Europe and tried but failed to get him to go to Charles old school, Auburn.
Barkley actuallt admitted to this during this years All-Star weekend. . . it's true.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Chuck's a clown - even Kenny and Ernie are surprised (or at least feign surprise) whenever Chuck makes a valid point. He's there to provide 'color commentary' and rub people the wrong way on purpose. He sh*t on the Mavs for a long time because that was the cool thing to do - this year, he latched himself to the Mavericks' wagon around mid-season and now he's holding on for dear life.

He was incidiery as a player (hell, read this) which has translated over to his time as a commentator - this is just how Chuck is as a person - a big ol' clown. If Chuck didn't act like an *ss everytime out, nobody would pay attention to him because his basketball knowledge is questionable at best.

I guarantee you, when the Mavs *** *** ************ (edited for karma), Chuck will be their newest #1 fan.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #14
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Screw that guy. He would've won a championship or two if he was so damn good.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

bit bit bit bit bit bit bit bit.
this has been covered by just about everyone on this forum.
bit bit bit bit bit bit
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #16
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

orangedays, VERY interesting article, thats insane...barkley is friggin crazy, that was an awesome read
xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #17
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Thank goodness all the games are broadcast locally on UPN.

I don't what I would do if forced to listen to the TNT guys.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
I think it has to do something with Nowitzki. He saw play in Germany and offered to cover his expenses if he went to Auburn to play. But Nowitzki refused him and I think it started from there.
He didn't watch him from the stands... He was on the floor and got dunked on by Dirk.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

you all realize the Auburn thing was purely in jest. #1 Charles cannot offer a scholarship. #2 Dirk was a professional player at the time, making him ineligible. #3 Charles was just jokingly offering him; he obviously knew he was going pro.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:48 AM   #20
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

But is the dunk part really true? I need video, witnesses or a confession. Anyone with a link? after that awesome Barkley article OrangeDays found, I figure folks on this board can do anything.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

He didnt really get "dunked on" at least not to the extent people act like it is. I always thought it was a myth but someone on dallasbasketball posted it a few months ago. Dirk was going for a dunk coming from the baseline direction and barkley kinda tried to block it from the ft line direction.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote