Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default Artest: I Was Tough On Carlisle In Indy

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle recently gave Ron Artest praise for his growth, while Artest has admitted that he was tough on his coach during their time together with the Pacers.

"When I was with him, I had a lot of problems," Artest said. "He really showed a lot of genuine care for me. ... He always came over and made sure I was OK, talked to me, made sure my family was OK. ... He knew I was an emotional kid. He always took time out to make sure I was all right. It was just unfortunate I wasn't really listening.

"He taught me a lot. He taught me how to play intelligent basketball, taught me a lot about defense."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...isle_in_indy/#
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad we have Carlisle .

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm glad we have Carlisle .
As the Mavs get better, he's seeming like a better and better coach. Hopefully he doesn't pull an Avery and get outcoached in every playoff series.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I'm really glad I'm not an Indiana fan. If I were, I might be tempted to kill Ron Artest in his sleep. That franchise defended him more than they had any reason to and he just kept stabbing them in the back over and over again. He singlehandedly set them back indefinitely. They could've contended for a title, and now they're in danger of going under.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Man, I'm really glad I'm not an Indiana fan. If I were, I might be tempted to kill Ron Artest in his sleep. That franchise defended him more than they had any reason to and he just kept stabbing them in the back over and over again. He singlehandedly set them back indefinitely. They could've contended for a title, and now they're in danger of going under.
It's easy to defend a player that can play both defense and offense at a very high level in the NBA. He had too much potential to give up on.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose View Post
As the Mavs get better, he's seeming like a better and better coach. Hopefully he doesn't pull an Avery and get outcoached in every playoff series.
I wouldn't worry about it. Carlisle is already an established coach and has proven himself to be an at least adequate strategist. Avery never did. Some people get angry when I say that he was incompetent, but I think it's at least fair to say that he was one-dimensional. He had a very basic, simplistic approach to the game and had success with it. However, anytime someone threw something at him that he wasn't expecting, he buckled. Going small from the Golden State series all through the next season reeked of sheer desperation and panic.

Carlisle has at least proven that he can coach more than one style.

Edit: I would also say that Carlisle doesn't have nearly as huge an ego as Avery. God knows we all got tired of Avery taking credit for the success and blaming Dirk for the failures.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-16-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It's easy to defend a player that can play both defense and offense at a very high level in the NBA. He had too much potential to give up on.
That's true, but if I were running the franchise, I think I would've tried to trade him a lot sooner than they did. I suppose that's easy for me to say, but he really did cross the line way more than any other player I can think of in NBA history.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. Carlisle is already an established coach and has proven himself to be an at least adequate strategist. Avery never did. Some people get angry when I say that he was incompetent, but I think it's at least fair to say that he was one-dimensional. He had a very basic, simplistic approach to the game and had success with it. However, anytime someone threw something at him that he wasn't expecting, he buckled. Going small from the Golden State series all through the next season reeked of sheer desperation and panic.

I think that's pretty much blown over by now.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Edit: I would also say that Carlisle doesn't have nearly as huge an ego as Avery. God knows we all got tired of Avery taking credit for the success and blaming Dirk for the failures.
Well Carlisle (as I've mentioned) knows how to make plays from time-outs. So we know that there is a high chance of something good happening from an in-bounds play. Avery was just terrible at in-bound play calling. I give credit to the guys at db.com who pointed that out, and I argued Avery's record. Ha, was I wrong. From that point on, I saw a team that simply couldn't get the ball in-bounds without some sort of struggle to do so. What a strain on a team to have to work extra hard just to get the stupid ball in-bounds.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

So get him after the next Rockets Firstround-Choking as a Freeagent for the MLE and make him stop chucking and do just the things he is good at
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

^ that would be awesome.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

As long as RC runs that BS 3 guard lineup in the 4th, he can suck it. I love his out of timeout calls, and most of his X's and O's. But his rotations kill me.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
As long as RC runs that BS 3 guard lineup in the 4th, he can suck it. I love his out of timeout calls, and most of his X's and O's. But his rotations kill me.
That 3 guard lineup irritates me over and over again. Well, it's okay to use it sometimes and against some opponents, but for sure not every time, almost the entire 4th quarter and against almost all teams.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
littlelibo

littlelibo is a jewel in the roughlittlelibo is a jewel in the roughlittlelibo is a jewel in the rough

I'm not worried about RC in the playoffs. He took two different franchises to the conference finals and only lost in the first round once (to Kidd actually) the year they dumped Artest. We may lose, but it will not be due to coaching.
littlelibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Carlisle is a strong X and O guy - he had some issues getting the team to come out focussed and pumped every game (the ONE thing avery excelled at - the team always WANTED it and you could see that they did want the win in every game). In the playoffs that shouldn't be a big deal as the team knows what they play for. I'm not too thrilled at Carlisle's in-game changes. He has a 60/40 record on his modifications working (60% of the time we came back and won, 40% of the cases it got worse) which isn't horrible but the best coaches have better track records there.

We will see how he does this year in the playoffs.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan View Post
Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle recently gave Ron Artest praise for his growth, while Artest has admitted that he was tough on his coach during their time together with the Pacers.

"When I was with him, I had a lot of problems," Artest said. "He really showed a lot of genuine care for me. ... He always came over and made sure I was OK, talked to me, made sure my family was OK. ... He knew I was an emotional kid. He always took time out to make sure I was all right. It was just unfortunate I wasn't really listening.

"He taught me a lot. He taught me how to play intelligent basketball, taught me a lot about defense."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...isle_in_indy/#
Why hasn't he shown it? He's dumb as a rock on offense.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
(the ONE thing avery excelled at - the team always WANTED it and you could see that they did want the win in every game).
i think the NBA Finals a few years ago disproves this.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I've always liked Artest. Indiana doesn't need him though, as they have Granger at SF now.

Back to Carlisle, he's pretty good at in game stuff, but Avery was better at managing the off the court stuff. For instance he changed the Mavs' national reputation into a much grittier team, which I enjoyed. Mavs are kinda under the radar with no real identity now, kinda like their coach.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very mature statement for Artest to make. I'm the type of guy that will ride someone as hard as hell when it's deserving.. but I'm actually proud of Artest for making that statement. It shows an incredible amount of growth..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote