Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

She is guilty by association.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #162
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yeah, I don't know how they are going to deal with Shelly's half. How can they force her to sell when she has done nothing wrong?
She's done a lot wrong and has been proven to be a remorseless racist and a nasty presence to the team, but you are right that there isn't anything actionable.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #163
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Uhoh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cuban
I mean, we're all prejudiced in one way or another. If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street, there's a guy that has tattoos all over his face -- white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere -- I'm walking back to the other side of the street.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...w-handles-them
Cue the forced sale! He's negatively affecting revenue and personnel by dissing an entire line of NBA apparel and Chris Andersen!

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-22-2014 at 09:48 AM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #164
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that he doesn't make decent points, but the timing is horrible. Lines are being drawn in the sand, and statements like this can give the perception that Cuban has chosen a (very unpopular) side. Free agency is right around the corner - if ever there was a time where shutting the hell up was the only sensible course of action......

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-22-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #165
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone's a little bit racist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Mavs must be pinning their hopes on signing Gordon Heyward.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #166
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Everyone's a little bit racist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Mavs must be pinning their hopes on signing Gordon Heyward.
Ha, I was definitely thinking about this song during this whole mess.

Cuban doesn't get that his perception of a black hoodie kid is exactly why Trayvon Martin was needlessly murdered. I have no idea why you'd be threatened by what is a ridiculous stereotype. People that live in rich gated communities sometimes just start making things up about what threatens them. I live in a reasonably upscale apartment complex and the majority of my building is black. Plenty of them do seem to fit a certain stereotype, and yet I've never once felt insecure or threatened about my living situation. It's just ridiculous to think that you have to watch your back late at night if you see someone that doesn't think or dress the way you do. This is more of stereotype problem than a racist one.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #167
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cuban doesn't get that his perception of a black hoodie kid is exactly why Trayvon Martin was needlessly murdered. I have no idea why you'd be threatened by what is a ridiculous stereotype. People that live in rich gated communities sometimes just start making things up about what threatens them. I live in a reasonably upscale apartment complex and the majority of my building is black. Plenty of them do seem to fit a certain stereotype, and yet I've never once felt insecure or threatened about my living situation. It's just ridiculous to think that you have to watch your back late at night if you see someone that doesn't think or dress the way you do. This is more of stereotype problem than a racist one.
Honestly, I'm more afraid of getting robbed by white billionaires than black kids wearing hoodies... But I base my worldview on experience, not stereotypes.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #168
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ha, I was definitely thinking about this song during this whole mess.

I think he very much understands what this line of thinking can lead to. He wasn't endorsing it, he wasn't even claiming it was rational. He was stating, correctly, that it exists. And he was also stating that it's different for everyone.

Whether or not it affects your sense of personal safety, you and everyone else on this board have your own personal biases and prejudices that affect how you interact with people and that shape your life as a whole. That's all he was saying.

And yes, it's very obviously a stereotype/prejudice thing, not a race thing. And it's not a big deal. The only people making an issue out of it at this point are people that didn't read/listen to the whole interview or are just trolling for attention.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #169
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think he very much understands what this line of thinking can lead to. He wasn't endorsing it, he wasn't even claiming it was rational. He was stating, correctly, that it exists. And he was also stating that it's different for everyone.

Whether or not it affects your sense of personal safety, you and everyone else on this board have your own personal biases and prejudices that affect how you interact with people and that shape your life as a whole. That's all he was saying.

And yes, it's very obviously a stereotype/prejudice thing, not a race thing. And it's not a big deal. The only people making an issue out of it at this point are people that didn't read/listen to the whole interview or are just trolling for attention.
I understand now what he was trying to say, but if I was an NBA owner, I wouldn't even utter the words "black kid in a hoodie" if a gun was held to my head. Most people are dumb and take perception as reality even if Cuban had other intentions.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #170
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Sure, but people who spin a story reach a lot more eyes/ears than people who originate a story. It doesn't matter what Cuban actually said so much as what people THINK he said - especially when the topic is one that people can't wait to overreact to.

Best to keep his mouth shut, seeing as how his statements gain nothing but could cost him quite a bit in the realm of public perception, even if they're misconstrued... It's not like the free agent class this summer is smarter than the average idiot when it comes to social issues.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #171
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Sure, but people who spin a story reach a lot more eyes/ears than people who originate a story. It doesn't matter what Cuban actually said so much as what people THINK he said - especially when the topic is one that people can't wait to overreact to.

Best to keep his mouth shut, seeing as how his statements gain nothing but could cost him quite a bit in the realm of public perception, even if they're misconstrued... It's not like the free agent class this summer is smarter than the average idiot when it comes to social issues.
I actually wonder if Cuban is trying to bait the media on this one as a brilliant gambit to prevent a forced sale of the Clippers. His argument would be "look at how ridiculous this could become that you can't say anything anymore without possibly losing your team to the TMZ/ESPN mob."

Is this ghost ball??
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #172
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Sterling going to voluntarily sell. Somewhat surprising, but at least it avoids a whole summer of legal drama.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-23-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #173
Underdog

Quote:
Sterling going to voluntarily sell. Somewhat surprising, but at least it avoids a while summer of legal drama.
He's an 80-year-old billionaire with prostate cancer - I'm sure he can find a better way to spend his twilight years than pursuing a long, drawn-out legal battle.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #174
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's an 80-year-old billionaire with prostate cancer - I'm sure he can find a better way to spend his twilight years than pursuing a long, drawn-out legal battle.
Being hustled by glorified prostitutes?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #175
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Yao and Grant Hill want some of the action.

Er the sale, not the crazy ladies.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #176
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Yao and Grant Hill want some of the action.

Er the sale, not the crazy ladies.
Yao would be an interesting choice... LA has the the third-largest Chinese-American and largest Asian-American population in the country, plus the west coast location makes it more accessible to the general Chinese/Asian market (Yao's ambassadorship between China and the NBA is what got him into the Hall of Fame so quickly). Sign Jeremy Lin to be Chris Paul's backup and watch the money/All-Star votes flow in.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-23-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #177
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

double post

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 05-24-2014 at 07:27 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #178
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yao would be an interesting choice... LA has the the third-largest Chinese-American and largest Asian-American population in the country, plus the west coast location makes it more accessible to the general Chinese/Asian market (Yao's ambassadorship between China and the NBA is what got him into the Hall of Fame so quickly). Sign Jeremy Lin to be Chris Paul's backup and watch the money/All-Star votes flow in.

j/k
(I caught the wink emoticon you had at the end)

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 05-24-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #179
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand now what he was trying to say, but if I was an NBA owner, I wouldn't even utter the words "black kid in a hoodie" if a gun was held to my head. Most people are dumb and take perception as reality even if Cuban had other intentions.
Allowing the stupidity of others to prevent us from stating something we think is a very dangerous path to go down.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #180
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cuban doesn't get that his perception of a black hoodie kid is exactly why Trayvon Martin was needlessly murdered.
I think he knows that very well, and that's the point he was trying to make. Whether or not he meant to evoke memories of Trayvon Martin, he was (correctly) stating that we all have prejudices, whether we choose to acknowledge them or not. His honesty is refreshing, and very necessary. Comments like his do a hell of a lot more to start real constructive, nuanced discussions about prejudice than the hollow hypocritical pieties other rich white people spout out during times like this.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-26-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #181
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
While his "opinions may be unpopular and false, they remain opinions," Sterling's response reads. He also questions whether the NBA is "willing to set a standard that an individual can be punished for voicing a negative opinion.

"If so, such a standard will make short shrift of many players and coaches. It will also needlessly suppress free speech."

Sterling specifically references Orlando Magic owner Richard DeVos, who, in his words, "has made highly controversial comments against individuals with HIV/AIDS and generously supports anti-homosexual causes with impunity."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...nian-penalties
And now an MSNBC host argues the NBA owes reparations for the "sale of black bodies."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY
You can’t really talk about reparations and ignore the modern day wealthy Americans who own teams made up predominantly of black men and profit from their bodies and labor.

Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, who sounded a note of caution. While Cuban called (Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald) Sterling's remarks "abhorrent," he warned that a blanket call for the NBA to kick Sterling out of the league for something he said in private was, quote, a "very, very slippery slope."

In interviews published this week by Inc. Magazine, Cuban waded even deeper into the complicated discourse on race in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK CUBAN
I know I'm prejudiced. I know I'm bigoted, in a lot of different ways.

Y'know, and I've said this before. If I see a black kid in a hoodie at night on the other side of the street — y'know, on the same side of the street — I'm probably going to walk to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and lots of tattoos, I'm going back to the other side of the street.
All right so let's review the whole story. Wealthy owners? Check. Profit made from the sale of black bodies? Check. Racial angst? Mmm, check. We're going to have more on the case for reparations after this.
I think time may be working against Silver on getting to a 3/4 vote on termination... Will there be 8 owners spooked by the prospect of future forced sales for unsavory words/thoughts?

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #182
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

looks like it will be the Los Angeles Microsofts.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #183
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Astounding.

Wow. Look for a tide of racist comments by NBA owners as they rush to sell their teams.
Quote:
Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to buy
Clippers for $2 billion

By JAMES RAINEY
MAY 29, 2014, 3:55 PM
Steve Ballmer left Microsoft in February and is worth an estimated $20 billion. (Michael Kappeler / EPA)
Former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer won a frenetic bidding war for ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers, with his $2-billion offer setting a record pricefor an NBA team, The Times has learned.

Ballmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations said the Geffen group bid $1.6 billion and Ressler at $1.2 billion.

The sale price is almost four times the highest previous NBA franchise sale price -- the $550 million paid earlier this month for the Milwaukee Bucks. It is second only to the Dodgers 2012 sale for $2.1 billion as the highest price for any sports team in North America.

The prospective sale by Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling comes five days ahead of an NBA hearing to oust her family from ownership following a controversy in which Donald Sterling insulted African-Americans in a secret audio recording.

The tentative deal still must receive the blessing of her husband, Donald Sterling, who has waxed and waned on the question of whether he would allow his wife to sell the team he has controlled for more than three decades.

The deal also needs the eventual approval of 29 other NBA owners, but is expected to clear that hurdle as long as Ballmer reaffirms his pledge to keep the team in Los Angeles and not move it to Seattle, where he lives.

Ballmer, 58, left the software giant in February and has an estimated net worth of $20 billion.

Unlike other bidders, he did not immediately seek out partners for the purchase of the Clippers.

Ballmer last year joined a group, led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, to bid on the Sacramento Kings, intending to move the team to Seattle. NBA owners voted to reject the proposed move.

The businessman said in a recent interview that he had no intention of moving the Clippers. He said that the high valuations for the team only made sense in Los Angeles -- the second biggest media market in the country.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #184
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And now an MSNBC host argues the NBA owes reparations for the "sale of black bodies."

I think time may be working against Silver on getting to a 3/4 vote on termination... Will there be 8 owners spooked by the prospect of future forced sales for unsavory words/thoughts?
Thanks for sharing in case anyone else missed this...

Can we collectively LOL at the MSNBC anchor referring to "racial angst" during slavery? Good god man.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #185
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I think NBA players should get reparations, absolutely.

I think giving them a salary of somewhere between $470,000 and $30,400,000 would be a good start.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #186
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wow. Look for a tide of racist comments by NBA owners as they rush to sell their teams.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #187
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Sterling agreed to sell for 2bill and agreed to drop the lawsuit

Today Sterling has backed out of the 2bill sale and wants to sue the NBA for 1billion
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #188
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Today Sterling has backed out of the 2bill sale and wants to sue the NBA for 1billion

Last edited by Underdog; 06-10-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #189
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #190
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #191
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:

I forget the timeline... but part of me wonders if Sterling wanted the offer to be finalized without hurdles to help quantify his damages. Otherwise, how do you put a price tag on how much he's been hurt? And if he fought from the beginning, he risked a perceived devaluing of the team through continued advertiser backlash, players demanding trades, and an eventual forced sale.

If Sterling had said he wanted $1 billion dollars in damages the day Silver made his forced sale announcement, I would have laughed and found a Dr. Evil pic to post. Today, I'm wondering if there's a No. 2 yet to clear his throat...

Is this ghost ball??
Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #192
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
I forget the timeline... but part of me wonders if Sterling wanted the offer to be finalized without hurdles to help quantify his damages. Otherwise, how do you put a price tag on how much he's been hurt? And if he fought from the beginning, he risked a perceived devaluing of the team through continued advertiser backlash, players demanding trades, and an eventual forced sale.

If Sterling had said he wanted $1 billion dollars in damages the day Silver made his forced sale announcement, I would have laughed and found a Dr. Evil pic to post. Today, I'm wondering if there's a No. 2 yet to clear his throat...
Whatever damages Sterling gets will be paid by the Sterling Family Trust, presumably from the $2 billion proceeds from the sale to Balmer. Starting to look like the wildly inflated sales price took this possibility into acccount.

So Sterling is suing himself for $1 billion. He may be demented, but the attorneys still know how to smell a fee.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #193
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Whatever damages Sterling gets will be paid by the Sterling Family Trust, presumably from the $2 billion proceeds from the sale to Balmer. Starting to look like the wildly inflated sales price took this possibility into acccount.

So Sterling is suing himself for $1 billion. He may be demented, but the attorneys still know how to smell a fee.
Yea, but it's not all his money. Isn't he going through a divorce? I know very little about family law and estate law, but like any above-average Internet forum poster, I'll assume the math works out well for him and worse for his soon-to-be-ex-wife. Seems like he'd be happy to pay 50 cents to himself if someone he dislikes has to match that payment.

Alright, that's enough out of me. Be careful looking too long into the insanity/racism abyss...

Is this ghost ball??
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #194
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I was firmly in the they can't make him sell/hell win in court camp had the MBA voted to force him out. However with the caveat that I'm not a lawyer I don't see how e has a leg to stand on now. He wasn't forced to sell the clippers, he was removed as trusted of the family trust and the trust sold one of it's assets during a time he was removed. He can sue to possibly have himself reinstated as a trustee and in that case he might be able to block the sale if it gets done fast enough and then he could sue the NBA if they actually force him out but right now I don't see how he has any case whatsoever against the nba.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #195
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Wonder if anyone we know is squirming.

Quote:
Report: Donald Sterling digging up dirt on Silver, Stern, owners
By James Herbert | NBA writer
June 13, 2014 9:29 am ET

As he sues the NBA, Donald Sterling and his lawyers have hired four private investigators to dig up dirt on commissioner Adam Silver, former commissioner David Stern and the league's owners, according to Tami Abdollah of the Associated Press.

Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league's finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past Commissioner David Stern and current Commissioner Adam Silver, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn't authorized to talk publicly.

The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks.

"The gloves are off, as they say," the person said. "Have them dig up all the dirt they can find."

After initially consenting to the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers, Sterling has done a total 180 and gone on the attack. In a statement released Tuesday, he called the NBA a "band of hypocrites and bullies." It appears this is how he intends to back up that claim.

The person who spoke to the AP said Donald Sterling reluctantly agreed to hire private investigators after this week's legal proceedings in probate court. The NBA submitted a legal filing Wednesday urging a judge to confirm Shelly Sterling's authority to sell the team.

"He realized these guys will literally go to any low to get this sold," the person said. "Even if it gets (him) nothing other than exposing all these guys and shaking up the league and seeing a change in the leadership of the league, it'll be worth it to him."

The firms will be engaged in an "audition" of sorts, the individual said: "Whoever delivers the best (material) is going to stay on for the next round and it might be all four of them...29 owners is not a small undertaking."

The sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer is in limbo, as Sterling and his wife will take their dispute over control of the Sterling Family Trust to probate court in July. If it is ruled that Sterling is, in fact, "mentally incapacitated" and Shelly had the right to become the sole trustee, the NBA will proceed with its board of governors vote on the sale on July 15. A leaked court document filed by Shelly's lawyers shows that Sterling was unable to spell "world" backwards and couldn't correctly number a clock.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #196
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Default "Not that there's anything wrong with it..."

Say what you will about her, but this girl does have a certain flare for street-fighting via press release.
Quote:
V. STIVIANO LAWSUIT:
DONALD STERLING IS GAY

... I Was a 'Beard'

8/21/2014 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Stiviano has just filed new legal docs in her war with Shelly Sterling -- claiming she NEVER slept with Donald Sterling ... 'cause he's into men and she was his beard.

TMZ Sports has obtained the lawsuit -- which Stiviano filed in response to Shelly's allegations that V. accepted cars and property from Donald that he didn't have the authority to give her.

In the new docs, Stiviano argues that the items in question were given to her in exchange for being Donald's "beard" -- and she insists Shelly knew about it.

Stiviano states ... she was "not ever a sexual partner of Donald T. Sterling" and "believes that [Sterling] is a homosexual and enjoys sexual acts and or sexual congress with males."

In the legal doc, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Stiviano says Shelly was "acutely aware of [Donald's] sexual orientation and condoned same as well as acknowledged and approved [Donald's] gifts of money [to Stiviano]."

Stiviano also says the gifts she received were NOT community property -- but rather Donald's separate property.

Stiviano is also suing Shelly and Donald for defamation -- claiming they slandered her in the media by calling her a thief and saying she embezzled money and property from Donald. She's demanding no less than $10 MILLION.

We reached out to Donald's camp -- so far, no word back.

Story developing ...

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 08-22-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #197
Underdog

Old 09-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #198
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Looks like the Hawks are also getting new ownership
http://deadspin.com/atlanta-hawks-ow...bou-1631636516
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #199
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Looks like the Hawks are also getting new ownership
http://deadspin.com/atlanta-hawks-ow...bou-1631636516
Pretty interesting. His email was no more racist than the man in the moon.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #200
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Wow... why not go with an irrecoverable hard drive crash?

Is this ghost ball??