Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-31-2002, 05:28 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I read on the ESPN boards that someone heard on a NY radio station that a deal may be in the works.

Dallas sends:

Nick Van Exel
Shawn Bradley

New York sends:

Kurt Thomas
Othello Harrington
Charlie Ward
1st Rd. Draft Pick

TRADE ACCEPTED

This may be a bogus rumor...but I'm all over this trade. Especially if we can get a pick out of the trade and that were able to dump Bradley.

What do you guys think.....
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2002, 05:35 PM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Dump Bradley and take on an equally bad Ward contract. This isn't a really exciting trade to me.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:36 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I don't do this trade. Even as much as I hate Bradley.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Me either. Quality over quantity. And we don't need any more 6'8" or 6'9" guys trying to play center. At least Bradley is tall, if nothing else. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2002, 05:43 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I thoguht abotu this trade and I said hell no to it but I read it again adn saw the first roudn draft pick. Im for keeping NVE but if we can get Knicks first roudn pick Harrington Kurt and Ward then I do like this trade because its in Mavs favor. But I am still not for getting Kurt Thomas. I dont really like his game and i feel that he doesnt feel the Mavs needs. If the trade did occur I wouldnt be upset over it but I feel Mavs should go another route if they are gonna trade NVE rather than take on Ward. But the plus's i feel are Kurt the first round pick and Harrington. Just imagine if Knicks ended up getting the first pick next season we could end up with a Tj Ford or a Lebron James.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
Randall The Great

Randall The Great is on a distinguished road

Harrington and Thomas (as much as I hate him) are pretty good players and would fit in nicely in Dallas, but Ward is garbage. He is only signed for one more year, though. I'd probably do it, especially considering that we get a first rounder.
Randall The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:49 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

No thanks. Good idea, but no thanks.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:14 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Alot of people are sayign no to this deal but back when a trade was purposed for Nick for Ward and Thomas peole jumped all on it. Is the difference here Bradely? If the trade happened I would cry over it especially if we could sign a guy like BEst as a backup whose use to the role.

1996-2005
Old 07-31-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

as I recall, most in this forum said no way because of Ward.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:56 PM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do the trade.

Ward may suck, but he would be a better fit with the Mavs. And Thomas gives us a good inside defensive presence. And the void that Bradley leaves could be filled by Esch, Wang, and Raef.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:32 PM   #11
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

actually esch and wang will fill exactly the void bradley leaves ...

Esch with his ball in his hands with shooting clock ticking down s worse than the Mantis with it, and Wang beeing abused on the defensive end is just as funny to watch as the Mantis is at the moment ...

HELL NO
Old 07-31-2002, 07:34 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

this is an absolute no brainer. of course you make this trade
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:46 PM   #13
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I would still rather keep Bradley and have the Knicks take Esh and TAW. Bradley's upside and change of pace still POTENIALLY an advantage...But who the h--- knows....Either way IF it is NY coming to us for Nick, they need to pay....
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:53 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

My unpopular opinion: When Bradley is used correctly, he is so much more of a defensive presence than Thomas its a shame. No one has more of an impact defensively than Bradley. He changes the game simply by being on the court.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:58 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< My unpopular opinion: When Bradley is used correctly, he is so much more of a defensive presence than Thomas its a shame. No one has more of an impact defensively than Bradley. He changes the game simply by being on the court. >>

Very true madape and I agree. But Bradely hasnt been a defensive presence last season. His worth ethic is horrible also. Bradely has a overpaid contract but I dont think Mavs shuold dump him just dump him. I liked what he brought a season ago but last season just showed that i got a contract and now I dont have to play. I do the trade if I were Mavs just becuase the first round pick was involved. This pick could be anywhere from 5th-15th the way I see it it could be more than that.

1996-2005
Old 07-31-2002, 08:05 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Dump Bradley and take on an equally bad Ward contract. This isn't a really exciting trade to me. >>

The first round draft pick makes the difference to me - as long as it's NOT lottery protected. The Knicks still might not make the playoffs and wouldn't it be wonderful to get Leron James as the throw-in?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:10 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

For that to happen, the Knicks would have to suck harder than Cleveland...I just don't see that happening.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:17 PM   #18
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

I can't understand why you people do not like this trade.

Here is the way I looked at it...

&lt;b&gt;Bradley -vs- Ward&lt;/b&gt;

Both these players do absolutely nothing for there repective clubs.
And NO...there is no more UPSIDE to Shawn Bradley. He is a complete waste of money and space. He showed me last year that he only cares about taking care of his family and not about improving his basketball skills.
Ward is a decent defender with really no apparent offensive skills.
BUT...why this tilts into the Mavs favor is that there is only one more year (I THINK)left on his contract. So he becomes the backup point gaurd next year and then he's outta here.

ADVANTAGE : Mavs

&lt;b&gt;Excel -vs- Thomas, Harrington, 1ST Round draft pick &lt;/b&gt;

OK...hello. Why does this not tilt in our favor. Thomas and Harrington would bring a lot of what this team really needs...Defense..people who are willing to bang(though not sure about Harrington). But what I really like about it is the draft pick. With all these trades, and player turnover that the Knicks are going through this summer I have a hard time believing that they will make the playoffs this year. I mean the Rockets got lucky why not the Mavericks. Someone like Yao might not be there but have any of you heard of somebody named Lebron James..(sarcasm)
Old 07-31-2002, 08:19 PM   #19
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

So I can't I bold....so what!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2002, 08:26 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Blonde - either click on the B in the title bar above the posting box or use [-B-] without the -'s
Old 07-31-2002, 09:36 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< For that to happen, the Knicks would have to suck harder than Cleveland...I just don't see that happening. >>

The lottery ball takes some weird bounces every once in awhile. Every lottery teams has a shot. I admit that the Cavs would have the best shot but it might happen...

Ward has one year left on his contract which really doesn't help us. We'd still be massively over the cap. Ward would have value for yet another midseason trade where a team would be able to get him off of the books just in time to throw money at all of the free agents. A better long-term player for a short-termer.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:52 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

True....good point about the ping pong balls.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:57 PM   #23
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road

Trade ACCEPT NOW!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:31 PM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Shawn Bradley instantly makes the Knicks an eastern conference contender! Thers's be no ping pong involved. The mavs' pick would be in the late twenties.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:09 AM   #25
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

But by taking the pick the Mavs are making the Knicks better.

C Bradley
PF Dice
SF Spree
SG Houston
PG Nicky

Should be enough for the 8th seed at the very least in the horrid east. So the pick would probably be in the late 10s, and we all know the huge drop in talent from 1-13 to 16 and up.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:15 AM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Still, it would be worth it to hear the insults that the dozen or so people actually attending games next year would rain down on Mantis and his mother.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:49 AM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< Shawn Bradley instantly makes the Knicks an eastern conference contender! Thers's be no ping pong involved. The mavs' pick would be in the late twenties. >>

Are you drunk? Bradley is an albatros. Bradley is unmotivated. Bradley never developed his skills. Bradley has no potential. Bradley sucks. Stop trying ot put lipstick on a pig. Any GM that takes Bradley in a trade will be run out of town and all the GMs know it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:49 AM   #28
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

That's exactly what I was going to say Luvbun.. I think this makes the Knicks STARTING rotation better but it does weaken their bench. However they end up dumping some salary and improve their team in the process.

However the one problem is, I don't think NY is a place Bradley would like all that much. For a while Bradley was getting booed in Dallas, the New York fans would ridicule him so much it would be a shame. That's why he had to get out of NJ. With all that being said, he'd be in the east where the TOUGHEST Center he'd face is Mourning or a regular basis. The Knicks would be better with Nicky and Bradley and I don't think the Mavs upgrade THAT much but the Mavs do improve where they NEED to by doing this trade so I guess I would do it too.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:15 AM   #29
Stressboy91

Stressboy91 is on a distinguished road

I like the trade if it gets us Frank Williams who was this years 1st rounder(but just broke his hand) or if the pick next year is not lottery protected. Also, Ward has 2 years left on his contract so he and AJ would be taking up a lot of wasted space for the next 2 years, but they would be very valuable in the summer of 2003 in order to clear cap for other teams. I don't think the Knicks would be that bad next year with that lineup. They would have Doleac and Bradley next to McDyess which in the east is on par with everyone except NO, Miami, Philly, and maybe Atlanta at Center. If Dyess is back to form, they are equal to all of those teams because he would be the best PF in the east. I also think Best would be a good pickup if we lose Van Excel, though I suppose AJ and Ward could handle 15-20 minutes a game, but what a huge drop off that would be.
Stressboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:24 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

Mantis would wilt up and die in NYC. He's not tough enough to stand the verbal abuse he would get on a nightly basis.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:54 AM   #31
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

If Lewis says no (which according to the DMN today, it looks like he is) this deal might need some consideration. Getting rid of Bradley and replacing him with 2 guys that can provide some defense down low is key. Ward isn't great but ironicaly, that might be exactly what we need. Nellie would not be tempted to play Ward alongside Nash too often which would force Nellie to move away from small ball. Another plus to Ward is that his contract is almost up. The draft pick could be huge...we could be looking at a lottery pick next year. If you keep NVE, you may not get as much for him later and we could still be looking at small ball next year which won't rest Nash enough.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:59 AM   #32
Drbio
Banned

I thought Ward had 2 more years on his contract?
Old 08-01-2002, 10:08 AM   #33
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< I thought Ward had 2 more years on his contract? >>

My comment was relatively speaking.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #34
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

The reason I am leary about this trade is that I think Nick is a better backup than Ward. I didn't always think that.

I think we need an upgrade in the front court ie KT, but I don't think we should do so at the expense of the backcourt. We need a solid backup swingman like Russell so that NVE and Nash aren't on the floor together so much. ALthough NVE is not good defensively, Nash isn't all that great either, so we really don't lose much defensively with Nick on the floor. NVE will gel better with the team with a full season, and I think he will prove to be more valuable than he was last year.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:05 AM   #35
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Not seeing Bradley on the court this year is enough for me to do this trade.

I agree in that there is know way that he could make it in the Big Apple.
You think were tough on him down here...wait until they get a hold of him up there. They would crucify him.
The weird part is...most comments I here from NY are in favor of getting Bradley...go figure!!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

Knicks fans are desperate. Bradley would be a servicable center in the East. At this point, servicable is an upgrade for those poor fans.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:24 PM   #37
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

this trade would never happen.

not because the mavs wouldn't do it, but because bradley would just up and retire before having to play in NY.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:38 PM   #38
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

That isn't true and you know it. Bradley isn't going to walk away from $10M+.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:48 PM   #39
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< That isn't true and you know it. Bradley isn't going to walk away from $10M+. >>

Yea I know if he leaves the NBA its Six Flags or Disney Land heaven for him if he walks away from the NBA. And isnt he lik e 30 years old? I think Bradely is useful when he plays but when he isnt he makes u wanna kill him. Who was the guy in this thread that said Bradely still has upside? He is 30 how can u still have upside if u havent gotten any better for over 8 years in the NBA.

1996-2005
Old 08-01-2002, 01:30 PM   #40
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

it would happen.

bradley actually resigned with the mavs b/c he enjoys living in dallas.

the big rumor was in the past that bradley would have just retired after his previous contract with his stints in NJ and philly. he hates playing on the east coast, and really who can blame him?

granted, i think bradley is a lazy SOB, but hell will freeze over, before bradley ever agrees to a trade to play in the east. i could see him accepting a trade to a place like memphis or utah or even new orleans, but never new york.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote