Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spurs sign Vaughn, extend offers to Elson and Butler

Vaughn's a decent signing for 3rd pg and for the vet minimum. I can't believe they'll go with Beno as 2nd backup. Not because he doesn't have potential but because Pop has yet to trust him the last couple years. Looking at the Spurs board, Javtokas has signed with a team in Greece. (correction) There guessing that they've split the MLE between the 2 centers.

Spurs sign point guard Jacque Vaughn, extend offers to centers Elson and Butler

Web Posted: 07/12/2006 03:06 PM CDT
By Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs moved quickly when the NBA’s free-agent signing period began Wednesday, signing point guard Jacque Vaughn and extending offer sheets to centers Francisco Elson and Jackie Butler.

Elson and Butler are restricted free agents, so Denver and New York have seven days to match the offers. The Knicks have already indicated they want to keep Butler.

The Spurs extended offers to both Elson and Butler in part because they were unable to reach agreement with former second-round pick Robertas Javtokas. Javtokas is preparing to play in Greece, but the Spurs haven’t given up hope they will be able to resume negotiations with him, if needed.

Vaughn, who signed a one-year contract for the league minimum, will compete with Beno Udrih for the backup point-guard job.

Last edited by MavsFanFinley; 07-12-2006 at 06:48 PM.
MavsFanFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is a ver "meh" move.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, the big moves by the sp*rs just never seem to stop coming. Maybe they'll tender an offer to Marcus Fizer, and try to entice Zan Tabak out of retirement next, in their great drive to reload for the '07 playoff run...
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to make fun of the spurs but apparently (im holding out hope the salary is a typo) we just made a HORRIBLE(i cant overstate that word) signing so i have no room to laugh. I am deeply saddened by the buckner signing.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I would love to make fun of the spurs but apparently (im holding out hope the salary is a typo) we just made a HORRIBLE(i cant overstate that word) signing so i have no room to laugh. I am deeply saddened by the buckner signing.
How much did it cost us?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Well this is a ver "meh" move.
Even as a Spurs fan, I agree with that assessment. But I guess the Spurs think that Elson and Butler at $5 mil is better than Rasho + Nazr at $13 mil.

Truth be told I don't think either the Spurs or the Mavs have done much to get excited about.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

eh.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
Even as a Spurs fan, I agree with that assessment. But I guess the Spurs think that Elson and Butler at $5 mil is better than Rasho + Nazr at $13 mil.

Truth be told I don't think either the Spurs or the Mavs have done much to get excited about.
I agree that the Mavs haven't done anything to get exited but the Spurs have gotten worse. As much heat as Rash and Nazr have taken, they're better then Elson and Butler.

And while the Mavs have to worry about Stackhouse getting a year older, the Spurs have to worry about Finley, Horry, Barry and Bowen.

Maybe Butler will suprise people the way Diop did but I think the Knicks will match.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Maybe Butler will suprise people the way Diop did but I think the Knicks will match.
San Antonio beat writer Johnny Ludden writes in his latest column that Knicks officials have indicated that they will match the offer, but that the Nuggets will let Francisco 'Geico'* Elson walk...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/

*Elson's teammates all called him Geico because he never played unless his fellow Denver big-man teammates were hurt. As George Karl just said, "He hated to be called an insurance policy, but he was"...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 07-13-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 AM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Will Elson help them at all? Duncan will start at center with Elson at backup right?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree that the Mavs haven't done anything to get exited but the Spurs have gotten worse. As much heat as Rash and Nazr have taken, they're better then Elson and Butler.

And while the Mavs have to worry about Stackhouse getting a year older, the Spurs have to worry about Finley, Horry, Barry and Bowen.

Definetly. The Mavs haven't done anything huge, but they have slightly improved in areas they needed to improve upon. All the Spurs have done is get worse, and older. The Mavs are a much younger team, so they don't have to make any big moves.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

2006: The longest, hottest, most excruciating Bexar Co. summer that ever was...
Old 07-13-2006, 01:58 AM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity

2006: The longest, hottest, most excruciating Bexar Co. summer that ever was...
LOL!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:

Agreed. Not a good start to the offseason. The Spurs still have some cards to play with the expiring contracts they got for Rasho, and those guys can't get traded again until August so my hope is that the Spurs can find some team looking to cut some payroll and pick a useful player away.

No telling on what the Knicks will do with Butler. It is the Knicks so trying to apply logic to the situation is a fruitless endeavor. Instead I just flipped a coin and it came up tails so Butler will be a Spur next year.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #15
DelNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Will Elson help them at all? Duncan will start at center with Elson at backup right?
As of right now, Elson probably starts. But that doesn't really mean much since the center position will be played by committee with Elson, Duncan, Butler or someone other than Butler, and Oberto stealing time there.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #16
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

But is Horry going to be the only other option at PF besides Duncan? Because he seems in serious decline.

Edit: Or is Matt Bonner still around? He played some pretty good minutes for the Raptors.

Last edited by Stranger; 07-13-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Isiah now thinking Butler doesn't do it

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER Isiah Thomas is having second thoughts on matching the three-year, $7 million offer sheet Jackie Butler received from the San Antonio Spurs. According to sources, Thomas is surprised that the center, who is entering his second season, managed to secure a contract that dwarfs the $900,000 the Knicks offered him. The same source said there is a "50-50 chance" that Butler won't return. Thomas has until Wednesday to match the offer.
The Knicks already have 14 players under contract, and Thomas is finding it hard to justify signing Butler for $7 million when he could be the team's third-string center behind Eddy Curry and Jerome James.
Thomas, however, has a soft spot for the 6-10 Butler, whom he signed out of the CBA two years ago on the advice of former scout Del Demps, who now works for the Spurs. There is a good chance that former Knicks coach Larry Brown gave his good friend, San Antonio head coach Gregg Popovich, a thorough scouting report on Butler.
The Knicks have had strange dealings with the Spurs in recent years. Three years ago, Thomas agreed to send Kurt Thomas to San Antonio for Malik Rose only to rescind the offer at the last minute.
The following season, Thomas sent Nazr Mohammed to the Spurs for Rose, and Mohammed helped San Antonio win the title. Now, Butler could be replacing Mohammed, who is now a Piston.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Isiah has interest in Jeffries

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER Isiah Thomas says he is not actively pursing deals for free agents, but behind the scenes the Knicks' president and coach continues to search for ways to bolster his roster.

One player who continues to draw interest from the Knicks is Washington forward Jared Jeffries, a restricted free agent. According to sources, the Knicks have had conversations with Jeffries' agent, Andy Miller, in recent days as negotiations between Jeffries and the Wizards have stalled. Jeffries is considering accepting Washington's one-year qualifying offer for approximately $3 million, which would make him an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Miller, who also represents free agent forward Al Harrington, did not return phone calls yesterday.

The Knicks can offer Jeffries their mid-level exception, starting at approximately $5.2 million. The Knicks are reluctant to add salary, but the 6-11 Jeffries, who can play four positions, would give the team a versatile player who is regarded as a strong defender. The 24-year-old Jeffries averaged 6.4 points and 4.9 rebounds in 77 games last season

The Knicks' interest in Jeffries suggests that Thomas will not match the three-year, $7 million offer Jackie Butler received from the San Antonio Spurs. The Knicks have until tomorrow to decide on Butler's fate. By allowing Butler to leave, the Knicks would have one roster spot available.

Washington would have the option to match any offer made to Jeffries. A sign-and-trade scenario is unlikely because of salary cap restrictions. Jeffries is best suited to play small forward, a position that is currently filled by Jalen Rose, Quentin Richardson and first-round pick Renaldo Balkman. David Lee is another option for small forward.

Jeffries, however, can play both forward positions as well as center and has even played big guard for Washington.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 07-18-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a steal for the Spurs if NY doesn't match.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #20
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
That would be a steal for the Spurs if NY doesn't match.
Really? Is Butler any good?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
IMO, it's like Dallas stealing Diop away from Cleveland.

Butler is only 21yrs old too.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
DelNegro

Quote:
He's a project but definitely has upside. As MFF pointed out he is only 21 and even if he only puts up the same numbers he did last year it's Rasho-esque production at a quarter of the cost.

Butler doesn't make me jump for joy and proclaim us as the team to beat, but it would be a very solid signing.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
He's a project but definitely has upside. As MFF pointed out he is only 21 and even if he only puts up the same numbers he did last year it's Rasho-esque production at a quarter of the cost.

Butler doesn't make me jump for joy and proclaim us as the team to beat, but it would be a very solid signing.
NYKs apparently get an extra day because of a clerical error on the offer sheet. Don't think they plan to match.

I think you've pegged it--Butler is a value signing, not an impact signing.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #24
DelNegro

Knicks decline to match Spurs' offer to Butler

Web Posted: 07/19/2006 01:55 PM CDT
Express-News

SALT LAKE CITY – The New York Knicks have decided not to match the Spurs’ three-year, $7 million offer to restricted free agent Jackie Butler, a Knicks’ spokesman said Wednesday.

advertisement

The Spurs have yet to officially hear from the Knicks or the NBA.

The Spurs also have not heard from the Denver Nuggets, who have until Thursday to match an offer for restricted free agent Francisco Elson.

Both Butler and Elson are centers.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...N.203c608.html
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #25
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:

But they save money, therefor, it's a brilliant move by the Spurs. But let Cuban do crap like that, and he gets called cheap and it's doom and gloom.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #26
DelNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
But they save money, therefor, it's a brilliant move by the Spurs. But let Cuban do crap like that, and he gets called cheap and it's doom and gloom.
I agree with you, but the fact that Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic won't be winning any MVP trophies any time soon will cause most people to see the two situations differently.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Jackie Vaugh? The Spurs would have done better with Jackie Christie.

Last edited by Drbio; 07-19-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #28
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I agree with you, but the fact that Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic won't be winning any MVP trophies any time soon will cause most people to see the two situations differently.

How about the Finley and Daniels situations?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #29
DelNegro

Quote:
How about the Finley and Daniels situations?
The Spurs have always operated with an eye on profits and payroll so I've long since accepted cost cutting moves as an unfortunate, but necessary, practice in the business that is the NBA. From that standpoint I've got no problems whatsoever with those decisions.

I'm just making the observation that this sense of fiscal consciousness is new to Mark Cuban and Mav fans used to seeing the "whatever it takes, cost is no issue" approach don't appear to be liking it too much.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #30
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Spurs have always operated with an eye on profits and payroll so I've long since accepted cost cutting moves as an unfortunate, but necessary, practice in the business that is the NBA. From that standpoint I've got no problems whatsoever with those decisions.

I'm just making the observation that this sense of fiscal consciousness is new to Mark Cuban and Mav fans used to seeing the "whatever it takes, cost is no issue" approach don't appear to be liking it too much.

I understand you DelNegro.

It just annoys the heck out of me the tone of this board. It seems like for the last 2 offseasons, everything Cuban does seems to be wrong. But somehow, everything Houston and San Antonio does seems to be good. And the double standard of cuban cost cutting compared to other teams. I mean, besides the Antoine Walker trade, Cuban hasn't done anything bad as far as personnel goes to this organization.

~The Salesman
Old 07-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #31
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
I understand you DelNegro.

It just annoys the heck out of me the tone of this board. It seems like for the last 2 offseasons, everything Cuban does seems to be wrong. But somehow, everything Houston and San Antonio does seems to be good. And the double standard of cuban cost cutting compared to other teams.
I agree with your first sentiments - some people have an axe to grind with cuban over the dismantliing of the 2003 squad/percieved misstatements/so-called embarrassing PR situations, etc.

However the spurs and houston haven't wowed me with their moves for going on 2 years now. Anybody who points to their transactions as a cause for alarm has to be nuts. Rafer Alston, NVE - no sane person would think the mavs are making worse moves than their little brothers to the south.

The truth remains clear. Dallas is younger, deeper, and more talented than both the rockettes and the spurts. And while San Ant_ni_ still has an edge in experience, that didn't seem to help them much in a game seven on their homecourt.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #32
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
some people have an axe to grind with cuban over the dismantliing of the 2003 squad
What really chafed my 'nads was that he let Wang Zhi Zhi walk for nothing.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 07-20-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #33
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I agree with your first sentiments - some people have an axe to grind with cuban over the dismantliing of the 2003 squad/percieved misstatements/so-called embarrassing PR situations, etc.

However the spurs and houston haven't wowed me with their moves for going on 2 years now. Anybody who points to their transactions as a cause for alarm has to be nuts. Rafer Alston, NVE - no sane person would think the mavs are making worse moves than their little brothers to the south.

The truth remains clear. Dallas is younger, deeper, and more talented than both the rockettes and the spurts. And while San Ant_ni_ still has an edge in experience, that didn't seem to help them much in a game seven on their homecourt.

blah, blah, blah..Like Pop said after the series. He laughed at the notion that Dallas was supposed to be more athletic than the Spurs were.. He asked how much more athletic do we need to get 1 point , 2 points?.. And of course a team ALWAYS progresses from their previous season.. oh wait they don't automatically get better... The younger , deeper mavs are still a jump shooting team that was exposed in the Finals.. Pop stubborness caused the Spurs the series when he refused to play any zone defense... oh and you better hope that the Mavs can replicate the 85% shooting in 1st qtr and 68% for the first half in game 7.. I know, I know it's becuase they are younger and deeper.. Let's review the history of each franchise's ability to rebuild to compete for a championship............ let's see the Spurs have twice..and the mavs.... help me out here.. hey cap city how was that parade..?
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #34
MavsFanFinley
Guru

While I'm not as threatened by the Spurs as years past I'm not going to dismiss them simply because they haven't gotten younger or more athletic (Butler being the exception). It's not like Dallas thumped them in convincing manner. And you have to question Pop's refusal to not play the centers at all. I still believe as long as Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker are healthy they're a threat still.

The latest reports have Denver leaning towards matching the offer for Elson and I guess we'll know by the end of the day. If true, it will be interesting to see who the Spurs target next.

Until the center situation is sovled will we see what they do with Oberto, Barry, Williams, and Udrih. They solved the 3rd pg with the signing of Vaughn (although I think he beats out Udrih if he's still in uniform at the start of the season). No one seems to be biting on Barry or Oberto. I still think Williams has value with that expiring contract but if they pair him with the other guys then they can't make the trade until August 21st.

Next month might be more telling of what the Spurs are doing or not instead of this day.

The lineup as it stands now:

??/Butler/Oberto
Duncan/Bonner/Horry
Bowen/Finley/Williams
Ginobli/Barry
Parker/Vaughn/Udrih

Last edited by MavsFanFinley; 07-20-2006 at 03:06 PM.
MavsFanFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
What really chafed my 'nads was that he let Wang Zhi Zhi walk for nothing.
That didnt bother me as much as letting him walk away to our direct competitor, Miami.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #36
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
blah, blah, blah..
SCOREBOARD dimwit.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:58 AM   #37
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts
Default Info on Jackie Butler

Butler Splits for San Antonio, And the Knicks Look Stupid
By JOHN HOLLINGER
July 21, 2006

And now, my friends, I present you with the ultimate irony.

The Knicks, who for years have spent like drunken sailors to acquire even the most marginal prospects, are now in such a dire financial situation that they can't afford to keep a player who is both inexpensive and productive.

Yesterday, news leaked that the Knicks would not match San Antonio's three-year, $7 million offer sheet for center Jackie Butler. Reasoning that it was too much to pay for a third-string center, especially since the cost would double to $14 million after factoring in the luxury tax implications, New York decided to let the 6-foot-10-inch, 260-pounder head for Texas.

The Knicks are giving the outward impression of finally having had a moment of clarity and making a rational, grownup decision about how to spend their money. In reality, this was another enormous personnel blunder that, much like the Eddy Curry trade a year ago, could end up haunting the team for years.

Butler went undrafted and was nominally the Knicks' third-string center last season, which has prevented most observers from understanding just how good he is.When Larry Brown called him the Knicks' best center last season, a lot of people wondered if the coach had finally gone off the deep end. In reality, this may be the only sane thing Brown said or did all season.

Look at the numbers. Last season, the 20-year-old Butler — the Knicks' youngest player — shot 54.4% from the floor and had the team's second-best perminute rebound rate (David Lee was first).His 15.4 points per 40 minutes were well above average for a center, and notable in light of the high percentage he shot. Overall, his Player Efficiency Rating (my per-minute rating of a player's statistical production) of 14.67 was near the league average of 15.0 and ranked 22nd among the 62 centers who played at least 500 minutes last season.

That's not a fluke, either, based on what he did a year before in the CBA. Yes, it was the CBA, but Butler didn't just play well — he dominated.At 19, he was easily the best player in that league, which was why since-departed scout Dell Demps recommended him to the Knicks in the first place. (Incidentally, Demps is now the Spurs' personnel director. For all the Larry-told-his-friend-Gregg-Popovich-to-sign-Butler theories floating around, this connection seems a far more obvious one.)

Butler's current production alone would make him worth much more than the pittance for which San Antonio stole him.In a league where mediocre centers like Sam Dalembert and Nene (and, um, Eddy Curry) are pulling down $60 million deals, Butler would be worth at least a team's midlevel exception — just as other middling centers like Nazr Mohammed and Joel Pryzbilla received in recent days.

The big story, however, isn't what Butler is doing now, it's what he's likely to do in the future. Big men who demonstrate a knack for scoring at a young age almost never fail, and when they do it's usually due to such factors as conditioning or injuries.

To see what I mean, let me introduce you to a tool I've developed that ranks players according to how similar they are.I use a number of criterion — height, age, and several barometers of statistical performance. According to this method, the five most similar players to Jackie Butler at the same age were Shawn Kemp, Eddy Curry, Jermaine O'Neal, Carlos Boozer, and Chris Webber.

Of that group, only Curry has failed to become a star, and he's been held back only by a lack of conditioning and a bad heart. So basically, the worst-case scenario is that Butler would become as good as the Knicks' current center — and cost about a fifth as much.

Yet the Knicks wouldn't agree to pay him $7 million over three years, only slightly more than they'll be paying firstround mystery man Renaldo Balkman. That isn't prudence folks — it's insanity.

Amusingly, the Knicks reportedly were shocked that Butler received such a "big" offer from San Antonio. That proves to me that the Knicks genuinely had no idea what they had in the youngster, because I was surprised he got such a small offer. I figured Butler would get close to the mid-level exception and would be limited to that only because of his restricted free agent status.

Even at that price, the Knicks would have ended up with a rare bargain amid a sea of salary excess. Instead, they'll spend close to $100 million on the contracts of two players — Curry and Jerome James — who will probably be less effective than Butler this year, and almost certainly will be three years from now. Curry at least has ability on his side, but he remains a question mark. James can't play at all, of course, and it's troubling that New York's brass actually had Butler behind him on the team's depth chart.

Butler, meanwhile, is likely to take another step forward in his development as a high quality low-post scorer. Yes, his conditioning is a concern, and he'll probably never make the All-Defense team, but as a 20-year-old he sure looked like the new and improved version of Curry — armed with similar size and skill but a much better motor. His departure leaves one more gaping wound for whomever succeeds Isiah Thomas to heal. When the Knicks announced Isiah would be taking over as coach, I hoped that at the very least, the new responsibilities would distract him from inflicting further ruin upon the franchise as general manager. No such luck.

For San Antonio, it's just one more personnel coup. Yet again, the Spurs have nabbed a good young player for peanuts while other league executives have their fingers up their noses.

It's instructive to note that the Knicks and Spurs operate at opposite ends of the spending spectrum — yet the team that spends less continually outfoxes the guys with the deep pockets. That, in a nutshell, is why the Spurs will again win twice as many games as the Knicks while spending half as much money.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #38
DelNegro

Good find. There have also been other articles floating around mentioning that Butler took less money to sign SA's offer sheet. Butler most likely won't make a huge impact next year, but the prospects for this guy down the road look pretty good.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #39
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Is this a f'ing SA board? geez.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #40
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Is this a f'ing SA board? geez.

Oh I'm sorry where do I post stuff about the NBA in general?