Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mexico, U.S. to meet in Gold Cup final

Alright Sports consumers. Your soccer team is playing in the Gold Cup Final on Sunday @2pm CST, and I thought you should be aware of it. I'm not sure what the TV is yet. I pray to god it's on a network, but it might be like...usa or the Fox soccer channel, which is sad.

Anyways, you may not take this seriously, but I'll tell you who does: illegal immigrants. NOTHING beats Mexicans down quite as hard as the USA beating them in soccer matches.

Go USA

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/..._final?mode=PF
Quote:
Mexico, U.S. to meet in Gold Cup final
By Nancy Armour, AP National Writer | June 22, 2007

CHICAGO --Mexico and the United States will meet in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final Sunday, just as expected. But neither is looking very much like a favorite.

"No, I'm not satisfied," Mexico coach Hugo Sanchez said. "I think we're getting better. I'm happy with the defensive performance, but the tight score, I'm not happy with."

El Tri needed a 70th-minute goal from Pavel Pardo to edge little Guadeloupe 1-0 on Thursday night. Earlier, the Americans beat Canada 2-1 after the Maple Leafs had a game-tying goal waved off on a disputed offsides call in the final minute.

Frankie Hejduk scored his first goal in almost seven years, and Landon Donovan converted yet another penalty kick for the winner. With 33 career goals, Donovan moved within one of Eric Wynalda's U.S. record. Kasey Keller played in his 100th international game, matching Tony Meola's American mark for goalkeepers.

"Twice in the tournament, we've been cruising and let teams back into the game when we had a chance to bury them," Keller said. "That's frustrating. But we won both of them."

The Americans will play the final without both Hejduk and Michael Bradley. Hejduk picked up his second yellow card in as many games while Bradley, the son of U.S. coach Bob Bradley, was given a red card in the 89th minute for a reckless tackle.

The United States and Mexico have both been struggling to find a rhythm, and Thursday night's games were no different.

After the Americans failed to convert several chances, Hejduk finally got the offense on track in the 39th minute.

Pablo Mastroeni collected the ball on the right side of the field and passed to Donovan, who tapped the ball back to into Hejduk's path at the top of the box. Michael Bradley would have been in Hejduk's way, but the youngster dropped to the ground and Hejduk took a solid shot with his right foot.

The ball hit the left post and caromed into the goal past a diving Patrick Onstad.

It was Hejduk's first goal since June 11, 2000, and it sent him on a mad dash across the field. He slapped hands with Bob Bradley and the players on the bench, pumping his fists as the rests of his teammates mobbed him.

Seven minutes later, the Americans were celebrating again when Donovan converted his third penalty kick of the tournament.

But the Americans got sloppy late. After second half sub Iain Hume scored in the 76th minute, the Canadians put even more pressure on Keller. In the final minute of stoppage time, Atiba Hutchinson got a shot past him, but Mexican referee Benito Archundia waved the goal off, saying the Canadian was offside.

Replays showed the ball went off U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu, and that Canadian attackers appeared to be even with the last American defender, meaning the goal should have counted.

"Their player headed the ball down into the box and our player kicked it in," Canada coach Stephen Hart said. "If one of their players played the ball back, it's a back pass and it cannot be offsides. That's how I saw it."

Canadian players vehemently argued to no avail with Archundia, who seconds later blew the final whistle.

Mexico's finish wasn't nearly as chaotic, but its performance wasn't exactly memorable.

Guadeloupe actually is a part of France -- it's called an overseas department -- and isn't one of FIFA's 208 members. That means soccer's world governing body doesn't recognize it. It is allowed to have a team in this regional championship, but with its best players committed to France -- Thierry Henry, Lilian Thuram and William Gallas all have roots in Guadeloupe -- it essentially fielded what Mexico or the United States would consider a second- or third-string squad.

But the Gwada Boys gave Mexico everything it could handle.

Guadeloupe goalie Franck Grandel was credited with seven saves, five in the first half alone. But it may as well have been twice that for all the time he spent diving this way and that and leaping to punch the ball out of harm's way.

But with a crowd of 50,790 -- 50,789 of whom seemed to be rooting for Mexico -- cheering loudly, Pardo finally bailed the Mexicans out in the 70th minute.

From 30 yards out, he looped a sharp ball with his right foot into the upper corner of the net. Grandel leaped, but it was just beyond his reach. As the rest of the Mexican team mobbed Pardo and the crowd erupted in cheers of "MEX-I-CO! MEX-I-CO!" Grandel sat on the ground, dejected.

"I said it was going to be a tough game because they pack it in defensively," Pardo said. "We had opportunities to score goals. We should have scored more."
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

huh..... and all this time I thought Flacolaco was an illegal immigrant.

comprende?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
huh..... and all this time I thought Flacolaco was an illegal immigrant.

comprende?
I'm as white and nerdy as they come, sir!

(I am however, fluent in spanish)
So cierra tu pinche boca hijo de tu puta madre!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Um... That needs to be edited mods!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I won't forgive you for that. Not today. Today is not a good day.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

What crashed U2?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Um....go USA!!!!

(stay on topic)

ask him here Dan: http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30520

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-22-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

You just talked about U2s mom with vulgar language and you want US to stay on topic... Tisk tisk nerdy white boy!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
What crashed U2?
Not to get specific here, but there are some idiots that work at my Company. And not just the people making Coffee..... the ones that oversee the Exchange environment..... and they refuse to listen to me. Well, not listening has them in big trouble today..... but guess who is suffering for it?

edit: Go USA!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-22-2007 at 10:10 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

PM Specifics... I love to hear stuff like this...

Oh yeah, win fight wee USA!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Let's just say that I told them not to have a volume expand past an array.... or at the very least have a volume stay on an external cabinet, no further.

Today they found out why. Supposedly they "didn't hear me" when I told them what could happen. So next time I will yell.

edit: U-S-A!! U-S-A!!!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-22-2007 at 10:44 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Mexico has never lost in a Gold Cup Final match.

I can tell that you're all pretty worried about that.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Fun stuff U2...

Flaco, no one cares about soccer!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-22-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wink

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

lol
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #16
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

GO MEXICO!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
GO MEXICO!!!!
Go back Jalisco, you drunk
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #18
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Jalisco?.... I'm guessing thats it's Mexico.

Don't get me wrong, i love the US, but i think Mexico has a better soccer team. Anyways, should be a tough game.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Go Mexico! Can't wait to see the Spanish announcer holding the word GOL for about 30 seconds.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

WTF is wrong with you people?

Go Mexico?

Everyone in mexico (and I mean EVERYONE) will be sitting around some crappy tv watching this game with great anticipation. I hate the lack of national pride in this country. Some of you absolute morons were actually saying you'd rather see the German basketball team do better than the US basketball team bc of Dirk last year. How effing stupid are you people?

Why do Americans not get into international competition?

You like mexico so much, go live there.

/rant off.

Go USA
Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #21
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
WTF is wrong with you people?

Everyone in mexico (and I mean EVERYONE) will be sitting around some crappy tv watching this game with great anticipation. I hate the lack of national pride in this country. Some of you absolute morons were actually saying you'd rather see the German basketball team do better than the US basketball team bc of Dirk last year. How effing stupid are you people?
That is guaranteed.....have you been to Mexico before? I remember two years ago a whole bunch of people gathered around the mall just to listen to a radio broadcast of a game.

Myself being Mexican-American I haven't seen any of USA's games and have been pulling for Mexico all this time. I hear both countries have been dissapointing though.

By the way, the TVs are crappy there..........

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah-vit-ski
That is guaranteed.....have you been to Mexico before? I remember two years ago a whole bunch of people gathered around the mall just to listen to a radio broadcast of a game.

Myself being Mexican-American I haven't seen any of USA's games and have been pulling for Mexico all this time. I hear both countries have been dissapointing though.

Alright then. You can root for mexico.

Unfortunately there are still 250 million apathetic americans who won't even know this is happening at all.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #23
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Ahem, EFF MEXICO.

The last time Mexico beat the U.S. on American soil people were still worried about Y2K.

GO USA!

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/vie...sp_281669.html
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #24
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

f mexico.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-22-2007 at 04:02 PM.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Hey flac...

Apparently USA is playing Kazakhstan in Curling next week:

Maybe you can ride all of our asses for not caring about that BS "sport" too!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 06-22-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #26
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

go USA!

there isn't a more overrated team then the tricolores....

we will beat them handily.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It's the MOST POPULAR SPORT IN THE WORLD.

I'm just saying....

Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

It DAMN SURE is not the most popular sport in my country. And last I checked, both you and I live in the same country:

Here!

Here again!

And again!

I'm just saying....

Last edited by Male30Dan; 06-22-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm not arguing with you that it's not that popular. I was just opining that it's amazing more people don't pay attention to international competition in this country. I see how crazy other countries go for this stuff, and it makes me wish we had something like that here. We as americans are not as passionate about any of our sports as the brits or the brazilians are about their futbol. I suppose I'm just jealous.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #30
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah-vit-ski

same here.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I have plenty of passion for my favorite teams in both Football and Basketball. Any more passion than what I have and you start becoming the type of fans that international soccer has, (fans ready to literally kill the rival fans - and they do annually).

If that is what you are jealous over then I would suggest you move to Brazil or Portugal, because LUCKILY we don't have quite that passion here, (despite a couple of stupid incidents aided by ignorant players).
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #32
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

portugal is a very peaceful nation. they don't kill over soccer.

I don't recall brazil killing other fans either.

columbia, england, germany, italy.... yes.

go usa!
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #33
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Mavdog,

Dude, I just picked two countries! I don't watch soccer so I wouldn't have any idea which teams do that - I just know I see it on the news about once a year. That or they load 5,000,000 fans in a stadium that fits 200,000 and shit collapses.

Eh well, I really didn't mean to hijack this thread. A lot of people like soccer and more power to them. I like tennis and believe me, there are more people on this board that like soccer than my sport. To each his own!

Oh yeah, hooray win go USA!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #34
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

There sure are some HSO's in this thread.

Me likey.

Anyway, back to my original point, if you didn't know, USA is playing their rivals Mexico on Sunday @ 2pm and I'm sure it'll be on tv somewhere. If you care, hey cool. If you don't, that's cool too. Just don't let the liberal media get you down. The USA rocks. beat Mexico!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #35
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

USA number one exporter of potassium, all other countries have inferior potassium.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 06-22-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone give a fat rat's ass about a soccer match?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Why would anyone give a fat rat's ass about a soccer match?
It's not just a game man!!

It's the USA!!!

You gonna let those free-loading mexicans walk all over you?

(I promise I will not be drawn offsides again)
Old 06-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Do you follow the Ryder Cup?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Sure do. Europeans keep on handing our asses to us. I hope they don't name Lehman captain agan.

I think it's in TN next year....or KY?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Sure do. Europeans keep on handing our asses to us. I hope they don't name Lehman captain agan.

I think it's in TN next year....or KY?
Amazing the information you can get with a quick google search eh Flac!