Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
doggnutz

doggnutz is on a distinguished road
Default Now with all the tradeable pieces - What's Next

Man, I'm so hyped right now. Dallas could really turn this offseason into something right now. The packages the Mavs can come up with are unbelievable. You want a PG fine we have Terry, Steffanson, Delk or Flores. You want a backup center, fine we have Booth or Bradley or L8. You want a swing man fine, we have Stackhouse or Finely. Mavs could get Kidd & Damp and still keep Terry or Stackhouse. You want a backup power forward fine we have Henderson and L8. Mavs could do all of this without touching Daniels, Howard, Harris, Dirk. Those 4 guys right there are going to be awesome in a year or 2. Hell that could be your starting lineup if they continue to improve. We all know another move is coming so stop worrying about the number of players we have.
doggnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
dirkdirk+carter=championship

dirkdirk+carter=championship is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Now with all the tradeable pieces - What's Next

like it

Old 08-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

But at any time have we "really" addressed our defense problem. Sure we have like 5 centers now, never the less Bradley hasn't helped us out in the past and I'm very unsure of these new guys this year untill they develop.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
doggnutz

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
But at any time have we "really" addressed our defense problem. Sure we have like 5 centers now, never the less Bradley hasn't helped us out in the past and I'm very unsure of these new guys this year untill they develop.
I'm not so sure Vinnie, don't look at it as the finaly product. Just a week and a half ago, people where doing that now Fortson and Walker are gone. You have Josh, and Daniels who as rookies could be argued to be the best defensive players we had last season. You have D.J. who we haven't seen much of have alot of blocks in games during the summer league. You have Booth who is a shot blocker that was thriving in Nellie's system when he was here. You have Devin Harris who's a defensive PG, Also Terry is a defensive PG. So we have gotten better defensively the question is can Devin and Terry run the offense and now I think they can.We lost an awesome PG in Nash who couldn't play 30 min a game let alone play defense. We lost Jamison who was horrible on defense. It's more to come trust me.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

At this point, I don't think the defense problem is player based. I think its coach based now. Even if we get the greatest players in the world, they won't see the floor if Nellie doesn't use them or use them correctly.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
mavsfan4life7

mavsfan4life7 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Now with all the tradeable pieces - What's Next

this trade was a great trade for the mavs imo. We get a young defensive PG and we get another trading chip in henderson. The Mavs might actually make this a great off-season.
mavsfan4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
At this point, I don't think the defense problem is player based. I think its coach based now. Even if we get the greatest players in the world, they won't see the floor if Nellie doesn't use them or use them correctly.

Quote:
i agree simon
Old 08-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Cuban's taking away all of his excuses. It's put up or shut up time for Nellie as far as team D is concerned!!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Why is everyone so gung-ho about making yet another trade. Hey guys, I hate to break it to you, but Kidd probably isn't coming here now. You know, maybe next year or at the trade deadline, possibly, but for now, I wouldn't hold your breath. At some point, we're gonna have to accept the players we have. It just starts to make our franchise look bad when we keep dangling players around. It's probably one of the reasons free agents aren't so attracted to come here, because they don't want to be traded.

Jason Terry is a good point guard. If he can up his assists to 7 a game, then he isn't that much worse then Nash. He's a better defender, almost as good of free throw shooter, more durable for sure, younger, more athletic, turnovers about the same, he's a good three point shooter, he can light it up for 30+ on a given night. Some nights he doesn't miss a shot, and others it's tough to find the rim. However, he is our new Van Exel, their games are similar. I'm excited to see what Terry can do in the playoffs now. Even if Terry isn't a true PG, who cares? He has more talent at teh position then a lot of points in this league. I'm just tired of making a trade and hearing people say "yes, this is fodder for yet another trade" I'm happy with our team as it is. I dunno if it can win a championship, but we're a heck of a lot better off at PG now.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Another trade is needed to trim roster. The Mavs have redundancy in several positions. One of which being the 5 headed monster at center.

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Why is everyone so gung-ho about making yet another trade. Hey guys, I hate to break it to you, but Kidd probably isn't coming here now. You know, maybe next year or at the trade deadline, possibly, but for now, I wouldn't hold your breath. At some point, we're gonna have to accept the players we have. It just starts to make our franchise look bad when we keep dangling players around. It's probably one of the reasons free agents aren't so attracted to come here, because they don't want to be traded.

Jason Terry is a good point guard. If he can up his assists to 7 a game, then he isn't that much worse then Nash. He's a better defender, almost as good of free throw shooter, more durable for sure, younger, more athletic, turnovers about the same, he's a good three point shooter, he can light it up for 30+ on a given night. Some nights he doesn't miss a shot, and others it's tough to find the rim. However, he is our new Van Exel, their games are similar. I'm excited to see what Terry can do in the playoffs now. Even if Terry isn't a true PG, who cares? He has more talent at teh position then a lot of points in this league. I'm just tired of making a trade and hearing people say "yes, this is fodder for yet another trade" I'm happy with our team as it is. I dunno if it can win a championship, but we're a heck of a lot better off at PG now.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I agree with you there. But it's hard to just get rid of players without getting players back in return. Which teams are still under the cap? Clippers, Atlanta, umm who else??

Old 08-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #12
doggnutz

I wonder could you turn Stack, L8, Henderson, Flores or Ice Man, Finely, Booth, #1 pick, Eddie, Shawn Bradley, TAW into Vince Carter, Jalen Rose and Dampier? Or should I leave the crack pipe alone.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #13
mavsman221

mavsman221 is on a distinguished road

if a big trade is coming i think finley will be involved because of the issues of age, injury, and the amount of people we have at the 2 and 3 spots. i respect finley more than any other mav, hes been here before we were worse than suck but look what the mavs did to nick van exel and antawn jamison after they did things that showed they deserved to stay.
mavsman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #14
mavsman221

if a big trade is coming i think finley will be involved because of the issues of age, injury, and the amount of people we have at the 2 and 3 spots. i respect finley more than any other mav, hes been here before we were worse than suck but look what the mavs did to nick van exel and antawn jamison after they did things that showed they deserved to stay.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman221
I doubt it...he has an outrageous contrafct and no one will want to take it on
Old 08-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The story with Fin hasn't changed with these trades. He's worth more to the Mavs than he is to other teams. Nobody's likely to give us an expiring contract for him, and we won't get a talent upgrade either. Look for Stack to get moved, though.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #17
mavsman221

didn't think about the contract issue, hes got two more years left i believe but stack probably will be moved. thing is finley is more effective at the two guard which is where marquis daniels plays and starts, unless finley will start at the two and howard at the three, but there still is a problem with the starting line up issue with those three players. hopefully we will manage. stack and taw really don't have a place on this team.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Yeah, I agree grand Master. Nobody is going to give 100 million dollars to 2 guards anymore I.E Finley and Houston, unless your name is Kobe or Possibly Lebron in the future. Two guards are just a dime a dozen these days. There aren't a lot of teams in this league with a bad two guard or at least someone who can't play the two.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirkdirk+carter=championship
like it
Congratulations you've made it 18 posts without contributing a thing
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote