Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs upcoming schedule

at Rockets 8-11
at Bulls 3-13
Warriors 5-13
Hawks 3-15
at Knicks 9-9
at Hawks 3-15
at Nuggets 11-7
Celtics 7-10
Bucks 5-11
Lakers 10-8
Pacers 10-8
Rockets 8-11
at Spurs 16-4
Nets 5-13
Wizards 10-6
Clippers 11-7
at Bobcats 4-12
Nuggets 11-7
at Clippers 11-7
at Trail Blazers 8-8
76ers 6-12

The total record so far......
164-207
44% winning percentage.

Fools gold teams..
The Clippers are much improved, but their quick start is littered with wins over bad teams.

Any team in the East with an above .500 record on the Mavs upcoming schedule....Washington is much improved, but the Mavs SHOULD beat them every time they play. The Knicks are sitting at .500. Is anyone scared of the Knicks? Once again, it's a game the Mavsmust win.

Teams to watch out for...
Any Western Conference team with a record at or above .500. The West is loaded and virtually every team can play. Team's like the Blazers and the Lakerscan upset you in any game. But, if the Mavs want to take advantage of the schedule, they better win almost every game against any team like this during this stretch. Also, Houston is bound to put it together at some point even though the construction of the team is flawed.

Additional info:

Games against weak Eastern Conference teams during this 21 game stretch:
Bulls 3-13
Hawks 3-15
at Hawks 3-15
Celtics 7-10
Bucks 5-11
Pacers 10-8
Nets 5-13
at Bobcats 4-12
76ers 6-12

Additional games against mediocre Eastern Conference teams:
Knicks 9-9
Wiz 10-6

The Mavs need to go at least 17-4 through that stretch. They're finally starting to get healthy and this by far the easiest stretch of their season. That being said, 20-1 is not out of the question.

If the Mavs can manage 17-4, they will at least be sitting at: 30-12...that is, if they lose to the Sonics. For a 55 win season, the Mavs would need to go 25 and 15 over the final 40 games. With the Mavs tough schedule towards the end of the year, that would be difficult but definitely possible.

That being said, I'm shooting for a 32-10 record after the stretch with the Mavs posting a 18-3 record over that stretch AND adding a win tonight versus the Sonics.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavs upcoming schedule

Nice analysis.

This is by far the easiest stretch of the season. If you were to look at it from a Vegas handicapper's standpoint, I can only see three games on that list where the Mavs won't be favored. Thus, 18-3 seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Nice analysis.

This is by far the easiest stretch of the season. If you were to look at it from a Vegas handicapper's standpoint, I can only see three games on that list where the Mavs won't be favored. Thus, 18-3 seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.
At denver
At spurs
At clippers?

With Fin back, hopefully the Mavs can become the team that we've all been hoping to see. What has been missing? Assists and missed jumpers. Well, the two kinda go hand and hand together to an extent. Obviously, if the Mavs could hit an open jumper, they would at least appear to be a much better passing team assist wise.

Plus, adding an outside shooter should loosen up the inside for everyone else. You get defenders flying at Finley, that makes it easier for him to dish to a cutter that suddenly has a clearer lane AND it also opens up the offensive glass even more.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Mavs upcoming schedule

The schedule certainly looks friendly for the next 20 or so games. Hope we take advantage of it to iron out any kinks in the system and get going full-speed for the final stretch run after the all-star game.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

I really hope the mavs can play that well over that stretch of games. It certainly is not out of the realm of possiblity, but it depends on if the mavs show the ability to take care of business against some of the weaker teams on their schedule. That being said, I would be extremely happy if the mavs posted a 17-4 record over that strech.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
kg said: Thus, 18-3 seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.
nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

you get two gold stars, kg, one for such an unbelievably (though I assume meant as comical) optimistic prediction, and the other for using “thus” in a sentence.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
kg said: Thus, 18-3 seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.
nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

you get two gold stars, kg, one for such an unbelievably (though I assume meant as comical) optimistic prediction, and the other for using “thus” in a sentence.
I don't think it's an unbelievably optimistic prediction. It's the Mavs winning the games that they 'should' win and losing the games that they 'should' lose. Obviously, you're not going to win every game that Vegas would predict you to lose and you're not going to LOSE every game that Vegas predicts you to lose.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At denver
At spurs
At clippers?
Those are the three, with the obvious caveat that the Mavs might actually be favored against the Clippers by the time that game rolls around, depending upon whether the Clippers are able to keep up their somewhat surprising start.

Quote:
Optimistic would be a 20-1 prediction.

I look at 10 of those games as easy wins. Of the remaining 11, I'll be really disappointed if they don't go at least 6-5. Thus, a pessimistic prediction would be 16-5, a fairly achievable and realistic prediction would be 18-3, and a big-time optimist would put them at 20-1.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

I would be disappointed with 16-5. In my opinion, 17-4 is a must.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

Maybe Nellie should have 3 hour passing practices [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

i know you are joking striker, but better ball movement and this team easily goes 18-3 over that stretch.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

The Mavs took care of business in game 1 of the 21 game stretch with by stomping the Rockets....

1 win down and 16 to go. The Mavs should win their next 5. I will be disappointed if they lose in any of these next games:
@ Bulls
Warriors
Hawks
@Knicks
@Hawks

After that, here comes one of only 3-4 real tests on the schedule for the next couple of months. The Mavs will travel to Denver to end a three game road stand. However, the Mavs will have 3 days off before the game and they should be ready for some revenge after a big loss early in the season.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:45 AM   #13
Waschdel

Waschdel is on a distinguished road

This thread is a real juwel because it contains a scarce commodity that most of the other ones are missing - optimism based on probabilities (a better foundation-stone than hope alone) . It might stand for a turningpoint as well. From my point of view the win in Houston shows more than another example for the ups and downs the Mavs have gone through in the last month, because:
- Finley found his rhythm faster than a homer could have dreamed of
- they pushed the ball well and had a considerable number of assists
- Damp seems to improve and adjust with every game he plays
- Dirk has fulfilled all expectations and there is no reason, why he shouldn`t continue to do so
- Mavs get healthier now and with all the bad luck they´ve already had things can only get better
If Murphy and KG are right with their forecasts the Mavs might have a record like 31-12 after the next 20 games. The regular season is long and I think that most of the other contenders will have their citical moments as well. Allthough the Sonics and the Suns have a better record right now, the Spurs are the team to beat. So the Mavs should be in a good position to finish at the 4th place.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:13 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

2-0
Old 12-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #15
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

The Mavs very well may have played the Hardest schedule in the NBA, in return here is who the Suns have played

True Phx is 17-3 or whatever, but heres been their schedule.

Atlanta, NJ (twice), Chicago (twice), Cleveland (twice), Sac, Dallas (Terry/Damp hurt, no Fin), NOH (twice), LAL (twice), LAC, Milwaukee, Utah (no AK), Minny, Portland, GSW, and Charlotte.

That must be one of the easiest schedules any team's played to this point.

Soft. THey are no 18-3 team.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:51 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

From USAToday Sagarin Ratings..

Phoenix Strength of Schedule : 29th
Dallas : 5th
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
Waschdel

7 - 2 right now. Despite the disappointing losses against the Warriors and at Atlanta Mavs are still in a good position to finish that stretch at 17-4 or 16-5. If they stop laying eggs at home, the game at the Spurs will be quite decisive for the final result of the stretch. If they´ll find a way to win at SA the "realistic predicition" of 18 - 3 is not out of reach.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
Waschdel

7 - 2 right now. Despite the disappointing losses against the Warriors and at Atlanta Mavs are still in a good position to finish that stretch at 17-4 or 16-5. If they stop laying eggs at home, the game at the Spurs will be quite decisive for the final result of the stretch. If they´ll find a way to win at SA the "realistic predicition" of 18 - 3 is not out of reach.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
The Mavs need to go 10-2...
Perhaps they lose to San Antonio and win one/lose one against the Lakers and Pacers.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
The Mavs need to go 10-2...
Perhaps they lose to San Antonio and win one/lose one against the Lakers and Pacers.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #21
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

anyone want to bet on a loss to san antonio?? I'll give you 5 points....hell 10....lol
Old 01-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #22
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

anyone want to bet on a loss to san antonio?? I'll give you 5 points....hell 10....lol
Old 01-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #23
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

If the Mavs put together three more wins in a row (LA, Indy, Houston), I think they'll have pretty good momentum headed down to San Antonio. I don't know whether that translates into a win or not, but the Mavs should have a chance there.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

If the Mavs put together three more wins in a row (LA, Indy, Houston), I think they'll have pretty good momentum headed down to San Antonio. I don't know whether that translates into a win or not, but the Mavs should have a chance there.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #25
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I agree, that is a good warmup stretch for the Spurs, especially the game against Jermaine O'Neal.

I look forward to this Lakers game though, it should be fun for me.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #26
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I agree, that is a good warmup stretch for the Spurs, especially the game against Jermaine O'Neal.

I look forward to this Lakers game though, it should be fun for me.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #27
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

matchups are pretty good for the Lakers, although I don't see Damp playing more than 25minutes because other than Mihm who Nowitzki can take, there really isnt anyone of note at the center position until Divac gets back. Finley's always been pretty good at stopping Caron. Dirk will eat Mihm alive. Howard may get a nice shot to interrupt Kobe if he isnt called to put his length and athleticism on Odom

Indiana and San Antonio may be the only really tough competitors we face in the next 10.

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #28
TheBaron

matchups are pretty good for the Lakers, although I don't see Damp playing more than 25minutes because other than Mihm who Nowitzki can take, there really isnt anyone of note at the center position until Divac gets back. Finley's always been pretty good at stopping Caron. Dirk will eat Mihm alive. Howard may get a nice shot to interrupt Kobe if he isnt called to put his length and athleticism on Odom

Indiana and San Antonio may be the only really tough competitors we face in the next 10.

Oh boy!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

If the Lakers don't have anyone at the center spot of note other than Mihm, then make them pay by dumping it down to Damp who should be able to get good position.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

If the Lakers don't have anyone at the center spot of note other than Mihm, then make them pay by dumping it down to Damp who should be able to get good position.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree murph.... That IS one thing that damp can do and that is go right through smaller guys.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

I know Nellie is credited with being a great matchup guy....something I really don't agree with...but, this will be an obvious opportunity to exploit a huge mismatch. Damp should go for at least 15 points.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

The Lakers game will be interesting because I believe the x factor that game is Lamar Odom. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone on this team who can keep up with him other than Josh and I hope he has the assignment of Kobe.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

The Mavs should kill the Lakers inside.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #35
TheBaron

I can really see Nellie putting Finley on Atkins and Terry on Bryant until Bryant takes advantage of Terry and Terry bops out of the game so we can play without a point guard.

Oh boy!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

The matchups are going to be:

Terry covering Atkins
Finley covering Butler
Howard covering Bryant
Nowitzki covering Odom
Dampier covering Mihm

The Mavs will just have to give Dirk help to keep him out of foul trouble. Plus, last time I checked Odom will have to guard Dirk.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

Terry covering Atkins
Finley covering Butler
Howard covering Bryant
Nowitzki covering Odom
Dampier covering Mihm

The Mavs will just have to give Dirk help to keep him out of foul trouble. Plus, last time I checked Odom will have to guard Dirk.
Ouch, my bad. I forgot that the Lakers were playing Odom out of position. The Mavs need to destroy the Lakers inside.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Quote:

Terry covering Atkins
Finley covering Butler
Howard covering Bryant
Nowitzki covering Odom
Dampier covering Mihm

Ouch, my bad. I forgot that the Lakers were playing Odom out of position. The Mavs need to destroy the Lakers inside.
Odom gave Dirk some problems last season in the 2 games against Miami. Then again, I think our team defense is much improved this season.

I don't think you gameplan around Lamar Odom.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Terry covering Atkins
Finley covering Butler
Howard covering Bryant
Nowitzki covering Odom
Dampier covering Mihm

Odom gave Dirk some problems last season in the 2 games against Miami. Then again, I think our team defense is much improved this season.

I don't think you gameplan around Lamar Odom.
He's made himself into one hell of a defensive rebounder. Perhaps he'll eventually make his way into a PF. But no, I don't think you gameplan around the guy. Perhaps you would a bit if Kobe would let the guy have some shots.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #40
TheBaron

If Odom gives us problems, then we'll put Howard on him and guard Kobe by a commitee of Finley and Stackhouse. I'm not too worried but Odom is a guy you want a bigger and/or more athletic small forward or a more agile power forward on. Henderson doesnt fit that description and Dirk hasnt done a great job on him.

Oh boy!