Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-19-2004, 07:07 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peter Vecsey and the NY Post: It's up to Erick

IT'S UP TO ERICK

By PETER VECSEY and MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 19, 2004 -- It's D-Day for Erick Dampier.

The Warriors have accepted the Knicks' sign-and-trade offer of Nazr Mohammed and Othella Harrington, but before agreeing to sign with the Knicks, Dampier, the 7-foot free-agent center, has a meeting with the Hawks' brass today in Atlanta, sources said.

The Knicks want Dampier to visit New York tomorrow before he makes his decision, which could come as soon as today, but Knicks president Isiah Thomas has had phone conversations with Dampier. The Knicks have offered Dampier six years starting at $9 million after Thomas met Saturday night in L.A. with agent Dan Fegan.

The Hawks can sign Dampier outright because they are under the cap and can offer a maximum deal. However, the Knicks can extend a seventh year under sign-and-trade rules.

Even though Dampier is a southerner from Mississippi, his preference could well be the Knicks over the Hawks. Dampier, who averaged 12.3 points and 12.0 rebounds in finally fulfilling his potential, has reservations about the Hawks, wanting the team to upgrade its roster.

The Pacers also were talking to Golden State about a sign-and-trade, but The Post reported Saturday that Thomas became the front-runner when he made an offer of Mohammed and Harrington. Golden State GM Chris Mullin needs a backup center who can score behind Adonal Foyle, and Mohammed is as good as he'll get for his salary ($5.25M). Mullin had wanted from the Pacers a package of Jonathan Bender and Austin Croshere. Pacers president Donnie Walsh views Bender as untouchable and was rejected in a Croshere/Scot Pollard scenario.

Walsh, who drafted Dampier in Indiana, told The Post recently, "Erick's the second-strongest player in the league. He can rebound, block shots and he was a double-double guy last year."

Golden State was pushing Nick Van Exel on the Knicks in a larger Dampier deal, but Isiah had scant interest. Van Exel is a point guard but can play shooting guard despite his lack of size. However, Chicago's Jamal Crawford is a much better fit — younger, bigger, improving. The Knicks will have to get lucky to be able to get both Dampier and Crawford in sign-and-trades, as Harrington, who wants out in a big way, was a key component to the Crawford talks because of his expiring contract.

"Erick wants to win a championship and the Knicks are definitely in the mix," said Ed Jones, Dampier's business manager and director of his kids foundation.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Peter Vecsey and the NY Post: It's up to Erick

"Erick wants to win a championship and the Knicks are definitely in the mix."

If Dampier believes this, let him go to New York.

Personally, I don't want Dampier, but if Mullin accepts New York's pile of crap (Mohammed and Harrington) over Walker, I've got to question his judgment.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
CaptPsycho

CaptPsycho is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Peter Vecsey and the NY Post: It's up to Erick

well....time for Ilgauskas?
CaptPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Why in the hell would GS do this? I mean....seriously?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Personally, I don't want Dampier, but if Mullin accepts New York's pile of crap (Mohammed and Harrington) over Walker, I've got to question his judgment.
KG: You are assuming that Mavs offered a Walker deal. I don't think Mavs ever made any offer.

Edit:typo
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Kg - I don't think the Mavs WANT Dampier. I don't think they made any significant offer other than the end of the bench types like Delk etc.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
CaptPsycho

well its better than LA getting Dampier. let them get grandfather Divac instead.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have the NY deal if I was GS too. They need another center as they only have Foyle/Esch and Nazr would be a good fit. They have their pf in Troy Murphy so why would they want Walker to start over him? Harrington can come off the bench which can't be said for Walker.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I doubt if Mavs ever considered paying Dampier a 6yr deal starting at $9million/yr.

Big Z for Walker may now be the best available, low-risk, win-win deal for Dallas & Cleveland. Both got max, expiring contracts. With Boozer out, Walker fills a need for the Cavs at 4, and Z would be an effective starter at Center for us.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I understand the Mavs reluctance to go after Damp. I believe he wants a 6 year deal and Damp's already 30.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way this paves the way for a Thomas/Motumbo for Walker swap?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #12
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I will cry if dikembie is on our team.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #13
jabbadahut

jabbadahut is on a distinguished road

well its better than LA getting Dampier. let them get grandfather Divac instead.

==

vlade is better than any center the mavs throw out on the court. lol.
jabbadahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
CaptPsycho

"vlade is better than any center the mavs throw out on the court. lol."

no sh*t. but Dampier is even worse, for the Mavs. Divac will play 18-25 minutes a night, his lungs will cave in on him. and he'll be out of the league in 1-2 seasons. Dampiers got some youth left and is a decent center. LA getting Divac is great for us. he's still staying in the pacific division, and he's becoming a nonissue. not exactly hurting us at all really. and like i said, way better than LA getting Dampier.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:56 AM   #15
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Looking at the Mavs roster maybe Cuban can petition Stern for a rule change allowing the Mavs to play 6 guards at once instead of having a center. [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #16
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Dampier was great against the Mavs this year, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] but what center wasn't. I am very skeptical of his desire, work ethic and ability. Think Isaac Austin. Plays great to get a big fat contract then disappears into the netherworld. Ilgauskas; however, has been solid (I know he is white) and is very talented. Although I think Cleveland would be foolish to trade him, anything is possible in this league. I hope Thomas never dons another Mav uniform as long as he lives. We don't need to help improve that dreadful team (Knicks). Lets see if Dampier can average more that 5 pts a game with Starbury running the show. I think you guys may have a bad case of thinking the brown grass on the other side of the fence is greener than the brown grass on this side of the fence. Remember, last season imploded because of trading to be trading. It was stupid to change the face of your entire roster after playing in the Western Conference finals. Other than getting rid of Jamison and hopefully Walker, question everything this mavericks brain trust does. By the way, I like the draft and the pickup of Mbenga. We just need to be patient. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Wining Dampier

Erick Dampier flew yesterday to Salt Lake City, where the Hawks are playing their summer league. There, Dampier was to be wined and dined by the Hawks brass — GM Billy Knight and VP Dominique Wilkins — in talks that would greatly determine the Knicks' future.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who hopes to give Dampier the red-carpet treatment, too, was back home in Indiana, waiting with bated breath, because it's nearly three weeks into July and he has yet to upgrade his roster. (Where is Scotty Layden when you need him?)

But $74.1 million — not one lobster dinner in Utah — will tell the tale of whether Dampier becomes a Knick this week. And that is why the Knicks appear in solid position to land the Warriors' 6-foot-11 unrestricted free agent whom Thomas feels is needed with Shaquille O'Neal now in the East.

The Hawks are $11.4 million under the salary cap, according to a league source. If they are willing to extend Dampier a six-year deal starting at that number, the total would equal an outrageous $74.1M, with 10-percent raises. Thomas knows his chances of getting the Warriors' unrestricted free agent would then be toast, as it beats his six-year, $65 million offer.

However, the sense is the Hawks, who are rebuilding and don't have a starting center, aren't willing to use all their cap space on one guy — especially Dampier, who mostly had underachieved until last season, in his contract year, when he averaged 12.3 points and 12.0 rebounds.

There's a feeling Dan Fegan, Dampier's agent, is using the Hawks to get a maximum seventh year out of the Knicks. (Since Atlanta's offer is not a sign-and-trade, the Hawks aren't allowed to offer a seventh year under CBA rules).

On Saturday night, Thomas met with Fegan in Los Angeles and hatched a six-year deal starting at $9 million, with 12.5 percent yearly raises, totaling $65.2 M. If Fegan gets a seventh year out of the Knicks, the offer would jump to $76.5M, topping the Hawks.

Yesterday, Warriors GM Chris Mullin was ambiguous on whether he and the Knicks have a tentative agreement on a sign-and-trade, with center Nazr Mohammed and Othella Harrington the pawns.

Asked if he's talking exclusively to the Knicks, the Brooklyn-born Mullin said: "No. We're talking to several other teams. When something becomes clear, we're going to regroup and move from there."

In other words, if Dampier chooses Atlanta, the Warriors will be happy to let him walk and save on payroll, feeling Adonal Foyle is their answer at center.

It would be only in the best interests of their budget — not their won-loss record — to let Dampier flee without compensation. But if Mullin is going to add to payroll without shedding Nick Van Exel, he wants only a player who can help, not an expiring contract. That's why Mullin has interest in Mohammed.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote