Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Tractor Traylor

Tractor, who's draft rights were traded for Dirk, scored his career high 22 points last night. Wow, think Milwaukee wishes they had a do over. Think the first time they met on the court, Traylor looked at Dirk and said, "WTF?". Think every time since, Dirk has said, "WTF?"
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default RE:Tractor Traylor

Tractor outscored Dirk last night 22 to 21. Maybe the Mavs made a mistake and Tractor was just a late bloomer?

What'd ya think? [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Did Tractor get picked first, or did Dirk get picked first?

I can't remember.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tractor Traylor

Traylor was 6th, Dirk was 9th and Garrity was 19th.

Essentially we traded a 6th pick for the 9th and 16th.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I remember being upset we finally get a big guy and we trade him away from some kid named Dirk Nowitzki. That move ended up making this franchise. Didn't we get Nash in this trade somehow?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Before signing Garrity, we traded his rights again along with with Bubba Wells and Martin Muursepp for the young backup point guard.

Suns basically wanted Garrity, and Wells/Muursepp were to match salaries.

so we traded Traylor for Dirk and the guy that we'd trade to the Suns for Nash.

================================================== ===
Bubba Wells 3.3ppg, 1.7rpg, in 10mpg. He never played after being traded to the Suns.
Martin Muursepp 5.7ppg, 2.8rpg, in 14mpg. He also never played after being traded.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Before signing Garrity, we traded his rights again along with with Bubba Wells and Martin Muursepp for the young backup point guard.

Bubba Wells 3.3ppg, 1.7rpg, in 10mpg. He never played after being traded to the Suns.
Martin Muursepp 5.7ppg, 2.8rpg, in 14mpg. He also never played after being traded.

Suns basically wanted Garrity, and Wells/Muursepp were to match salaries.

so we traded Traylor for Dirk and the guy that we'd trade to the Suns for Nash.
If I remember correctly, we also traded a 1st round pick that turned out to be Shawn Marrion so PHX didn't make out too bad in the trade.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

It was our 1999 first round pick which came out to be #9. Number nine obviously became #31 (Marion)

We traded Traylor and Marion for Dirk and Nash.

Other notable picks available in the 1999 draft with our first rounder: Andrei Kirilenko, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, Jeff Foster, Kenny Thomas. Of course its all hindsight.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We traded Traylor and Marion for Dirk and Nash
Pretty bad trade for Milwaukee, but not bad for PHX. Al Michaels talked about it during the Lakers game, but he failed to mention that the Suns got a lottery pick that yielded them Marion so he made it sound like we rapped them...they had Jason Kidd at the time so I would say that trade worked out for both teams.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Also riding the end of KJ's career too.

Of course Suns got Nash back, at inflated prices, granted, but they didnt have to trade any talent or picks for him.

Suns really didnt do too badly overall. Its just Milwaukie that got milked.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Poor Milwaukee. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Like most Mavs fans at the time, I too was dubious of the Nowitzki pick. But in hindsight, what a pick-up. Who do we credit for that again? Donnie or Don Nelson?

One or both of them deserves a lifetime exemption for that decision.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Pretty sad that the guy's career high is lower than the other guy's average for the last 4 or 5 years.

I wasn't PO'd by not keeping Traylor. I was saying, "Paul Pierce is right F*%#$-ing there!!!!" AAAAAAAAAgh!

Fact is Dirk was going to be a lottery pic regardless. Boston was going to take him. There are even a couple of mock drafts out there that had the Mavs taking Dirk at 6. If you recall, Dirk was saying he was going to stay in Germany, which may have hurt his draft value. Of course, Pitino was telling Dirk to say that so he could draft him.

The notion that Dirk was a complete unknown is a popular myth, but one that is also unfounded. Google 1998 NBA mock drafts-very rarely will you see Dirk not going in the lottery.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

Part of the frustration for me was the disillusionment associated with countless of Nellie's over-hyped bigmen. For all we knew, Dirk, at the time, would be one of those.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

To follow up on what I said, read this.

Quote:
THE ENIGMA

DIRK NOWITZKI
6'11", 237, Würzburg, Germany

Why he's The Man: This virtually unknown European exploded onto the scene at the Nike Hoop Summit during Final Four weekend in San Antonio. He dominated the game with 33 points (6-12 FG, 2-3 3-pt. FG, 19-23 FT) and 14 rebounds in a 104-99 International Select Team victory. Initially was thought headed to college (he visited Cal and Kentucky), but instead entered the draft; wavered the last few of weeks but did not withdraw his name. Nowitzki has an extremely aggressive, versatile offensive game. He can score inside or step out and hit the three. A good ballhandler, he can take it to the hole (as evidenced by free throw total at Hoop Summit). Very polished in all facets. Will have teams ruing the day they bypassed him. Fellow German Detlef Schrempf was called the best import since the Volkswagen; Nowitzki's coach says, "Here comes the Porsche."

At best, he's the next: Keith Van Horn.

And if I'm wrong, he's: Cherokee Parks.

—A.L.
The "at best" comment garners at least a 5 on the unintentional comedy scale. But the guy who is profiled on the page next to Dirk in the link (Traylor) gives it an automatic 8 out of 10 on the unintentional comedy scale. Jamison and LaFrentz are listed as "Other Players to Watch."

Old 04-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

That's great stuff dooby, but the bigger question is whether or not we ever going to see the dooby booby avatar again? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #16
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
To follow up on what I said, read this.

Al Harrington: At best he's the next Scottie Pippen. If I'm wrong he's prep-to-pro dud Tracy McGrady.....

AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #17
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

I don't post here often and I am mostly reading here day by day but I think this thread is funny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I searched for mock drafts and grades for the draft night and found this under winners and loosers on sportsillustrated.cnn.com:

Winners: The Bucks

After trading away No. 4 draft-pick Stephon Marbury last year, the Bucks get it right in '98 by stealing the marketable and talented Robert Traylor from the Mavs for an overhyped foreign prospect.

Yeah what a steal =D

But to defend that site a little bit another coloumnist gave Dallas the best grade for the draft night overall:

Dallas Mavericks (Grade: A)

Draft-Night Acquisitions: SF Ansu Sesay, Mississippi; C Bruno Sundov, Croatia; G Greg Buckner, Clemson; PF Dirk Nowitzki, Germany (trade); PG Steve Nash (trade)

The Skinny: Don Nelson's moves since taking control of the club have been questionable, but he had a great night—provided the Mavs can convince Nowitzki to come to Dallas right away. Nelson may have given up too much for Nash (especially if the Mavs miss the playoffs next season), but he's a proven NBA point guard. Sesay should be able to help right away as well.

NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #18
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will have teams ruing the day they bypassed him. Fellow German Detlef Schrempf was called the best import since the Volkswagen; Nowitzki's coach says, "Here comes the Porsche."
Love that quote.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #19
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Awesome thread. I had no idea that the Tractor was so highly rated. Any idea why he failed so miserably? Injuries, lack of toughness?
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

He never was that great to being with. I've always liked Michigan basketball so I followed him pretty close in college. His class was supposed to be the next fab class. Jarrod Ward (college bust), Louis Bullock (pretty good college player), Mo Taylor (has never lived up to his potential…college or pro) and Traylor.

If I remember correctly, his stock shot up because he dominated in the Big 10 tournament that year…apparently that was enough to make NBA scouts forget how he spared everybody to death in Ann Arbor.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #21
a.weidner

a.weidner has a spectacular aura abouta.weidner has a spectacular aura about

1. Los Angeles Clippers
Mike Bibby, PG, 6'2 (Arizona)
The Clippers always find a way to mess things up. While Maurice Taylor ('97 pick) is the only remaining draftee on the roster, it is even more amazing to see who the Clippers have passed on in recent years. Names such as Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Bryant Reeves and Eddie Jones are all players who have slipped on by the Clips, but this year could be different. In a draft where very few things are definite, the talent and potential of Mike Bibby is one of those rare guarantees.

it must hurt to be a Clips fan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
a.weidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #22
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He never was that great to being with. I've always liked Michigan basketball so I followed him pretty close in college. His class was supposed to be the next fab class. Jarrod Ward (college bust), Louis Bullock (pretty good college player), Mo Taylor (has never lived up to his potential…college or pro) and Traylor.
Dirno, Jerrod Ward (might be classified as a bust) blew out his knee while at Michigan. It was either the very beginning of his freshman year or before the first game of his freshman year. He was never the same after that.

It was the same way with Andrae Patterson. Andrae Patterson should've entered the NBA Draft straight out of high school instead of ever going to Indiana. Bobby Knight and Andrae's knees hurt him as he got older.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote