Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #161
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah let's get their whole back court... They have an awesome record, right?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #162
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep dude...I suppose when you're making racist remarks such as that against your own race, it's fine.. Isn't that how it works?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #163
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
The same with all black players in the NBA. It's hard to tell a Felton from an Augustin from a Redd from a Jason Williams.
FIFY.

Wait...

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #164
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Where's Silk? I hope he shows up to defend white people
Since we know what you trying to do I will answer:

I am here, just like you when this post was made: http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.p...94&postcount=6 ;-)

But wait, we see how it ends when the shoe is on the other foot: http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.p...&postcount=160

Notice any difference between the two?

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 01-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #165
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Hey we should trade for this!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #166
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Looking at Ryan Hollins stats, the guy seems to be progresing and even his minutes per game are increasing. his +- is the best in the Bobcats roster and his PER of 15 is quite impresive.

I know the guy is a 2nd rounder (52nd overall pick) but for a 7 footer he is very athletic.

Getting rid of Diop contract is the plus for me and who knows maybe Carroll can be our KKover this year.

Thumbs up in the trade, salary and talent wise.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #167
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Yep dude...I suppose when you're making racist remarks such as that against your own race, it's fine.. Isn't that how it works?
yup.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #168
kappasigma

kappasigma will become famous soon enough

what also sucks for diop is that he bought a house next to my friend in south dallas 3 years ago.... i wonder if it's going to be for sale now
Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #169
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

thumbs up, but then we have another shooter.. But at least these guys can score, thanks Diop, we'll miss you..
Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #170
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

probably one of the big benefits of having Hollins on the team is that Dirk now can practice against a freakishly athletic 7 footer.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #171
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Wonder why the Mavs decided to do this. Is this a win now move or a move for 2010? I'm thinking the latter which sucks because i'd like to see more win now moves. I could see Matt Carrol doing well in San Antonio or Orlando. A place with a dominant big man who can pass out of double teams for the open 3. In Dallas? I expect to see him struggle. Not sure about Hollands. Wonder why the Bobcats would take Diop's atrocious contract over his unless they don't think Diop is as bad as he was here.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #172
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Wonder why the Mavs decided to do this. Is this a win now move or a move for 2010? I'm thinking the latter which sucks because i'd like to see more win now moves. I could see Matt Carrol doing well in San Antonio or Orlando. A place with a dominant big man who can pass out of double teams for the open 3. In Dallas? I expect to see him struggle. Not sure about Hollands. Wonder why the Bobcats would take Diop's atrocious contract over his unless they don't think Diop is as bad as he was here.
Larry Brown seems pretty confident that he can get something out of Diop. They pushed just as hard as Dallas did to try to get him this summer. They see something.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #173
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't even call it fools gold!

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-17-2009 at 09:48 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #174
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

stupid trade~
C:Erick Dampier,Ryan Hollins
PF:Dirk Nowitzki,Brandon Bass,James Singleton
SF:Josh Howard,Antoine Wright,Devean George,Shawne Williams
SG:Matt Carroll,Jason Terry,Gerald Green,Jerry Stackhouse
PG:Jason Kidd,Jose Barea
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #175
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703 View Post
stupid trade~
C:Erick Dampier,Ryan Hollins
PF:Dirk Nowitzki,Brandon Bass,James Singleton
SF:Josh Howard,Antoine Wright,Devean George,Shawne Williams
SG:Matt Carroll,Jason Terry,Gerald Green,Jerry Stackhouse
PG:Jason Kidd,Jose Barea
You're stupid.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #176
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappasigma View Post
what also sucks for diop is that he bought a house next to my friend in south dallas 3 years ago.... i wonder if it's going to be for sale now
Yeah, poor guy. Gosh, how is he ever going to afford to get out of that deal?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #177
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Much like the Pau trade last year, this trade will shake up NBA front offices around the league!

no but seriously, at least we got a guy who can space the floor and keep defenses honest.. I hope. Maybe make a shot once in a while. I was looking up Carroll's stats though.. I don't think he's dunked or shot a layup this entire season.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #178
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
I was expecting Felton, so I'm kind of the disappointed.
I am disappointed too. The Bobcats were very very interested in Diop. I think we could have get something better.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #179
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

We didn't get Felton (that's a pity), but we got rid of Diop's fatty contract. This alone should be a reason to celebrate

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 01-18-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #180
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

Maybe Brown just likes "porkdiops"!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #181
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

just sayin...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #182
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's greatness, BG$.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #183
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
That's greatness, BG$.

I love your commitment. That made me smile, just as the picture did.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #184
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I'll put money on Hollins being our starting center before long.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #185
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler View Post
Hey we should trade for this!

...Minus Avery.

...and Stack.

Last edited by craggmac; 01-18-2009 at 02:45 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #186
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte RealGM message board
hollins has the basketball IQ of a rock...he can jump but its not a very good rebounder and follows up good plays with really really bad ones...he maybe decent one day but i dont think he will every live up to that tyson chandler mold that everyone seems to like to place him in...then again he has never played with a point guard as good as kidd before
Quote:
Hollins will try and dunk everything he catches - no matter if he is under the rim or 25 feet away from the rim. Problem is the whole "catches" part.

He is super athletic and energtic, but he just isn't that smart and has no offensive game at all outside of dunks.

He'll also try and block everything and picks up a foul about every nano second.

He got a shot - in fact, he was starting there for us for a while - but he's just not starting material.

Pity, because he is very likeable.
Quote:
Something to note: Hollins was a BYC player, so he would have had to agree to the trade in order for it to go through.

Good of him not to nix the deal IMO.
Quote:
I hate to see the Hammer go. I fully expect him to bounce back under another coach... something about lb just had him shook.

Never cared much for Hollins but I've been a big Diop supporter in the past. This is a good trade for us.
Quote:
You know giving up Carroll and Hollins is nothing. Hollins is to dumb to play for LB and Carroll is still here his name is Adam Morrison now but Diop I think I am not gonna like either. He reminds me of Kwame Brown a little.
There's some Charlotte opinion on Carroll and Hollins.

Hopefully, Carlisle will be able to do something with this Hollins kid.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #187
catsil

catsil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
I am disappointed too. The Bobcats were very very interested in Diop. I think we could have get something better.
I had the feeling if Mavs held on longer to Diop to get a better deal, the Bobcats would wisen up and any deal would have been off
catsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #188
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Art Garcia Analysis on the trade.

Quote:
Analysis: Mavs-Bobcats trade no blockbuster, but needed

By Art Garcia, NBA.com
Posted Jan 18 2009 1:58PM

DALLAS -- The rest of the league likely yawned Friday when news broke of an impending trade between the Mavericks and Bobcats.

(Does it count as "breaking news" if the combined scoring average of the three principals in the deal doesn't reach 10? A hangnail from LeBron James has a longer news cycle.)

Still, the deal resonates in Big D somewhat because a fan base that's become largely apathetic and a team that's has taken the stripes of an also-ran needed a jolt. Something needed to be done to get the Mavs turned around.

"I'm a human, so of course you respond and react to your next-door neighbor or your family or fans," general manger Donnie Nelson said from his office Saturday night. "This is our community, so those things are important.

"But at the end of the day, what we do in this little cubbyhole is protect the franchise ... sometimes from outward forces and sometimes from forces within the locker room."

Don't expect this to be that deal. Dallas shipped sparsely-used center DeSagana Diop to Charlotte in exchange for a pair of benchwarmers in Matt Carroll and Ryan Hollins. The Mavs need more scoring/shooting in the backcourt, so in theory, Carroll fills a need.

Opponents have been keying on Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry all season, and though both are having stellar campaigns, the lack of a consistent third scorer has been definite sore spot in a disappointing first half. The Mavs (23-17) are ninth in the Western Conference, even after snapping a four-game skid with a 115-108 win over Utah.

"We're not where we want to be record-wise or performance-wise," Nelson said. "You're always looking to make upgrades. You're always looking to tweak or improve."

Carroll joins coach Rick Carlisle's revolving door at shooting guard where Antoine Wright, Gerald Green, Jerry Stackhouse and Devean George have been given a look-see. None has stuck. Terry is going to get the most of those minutes alongside point guard Jason Kidd, but someone else needs to be a factor there.

Enter 28-year-old Carroll, a career 40-percent shooter from beyond the arc who's at 27 percent this season. He's also scoring 4.1 points per game, less than half his career average. Carroll's decline in production was a concern within the Mavs front office, but they also realize that Bobcats coach Larry Brown runs hot and cold with players.

Carroll had been in deep freeze.

"We've basically floated the 2-position," Nelson said. "We've had over the course of the year five or six guys get time there. Whether [Carroll is] one of three or one of five remains to be seen."

Outside of making financial sense -- this deal does save considerable cash ($13 million) for the Mavs going forward, which can't be overlooked in these economic times -- there is basketball value, even if the trade is seen as an attempt to resurrect the failed three-team transaction that would have landed Dallas a young and athletic point guard.

With Kidd's contract over after the season, Charlotte's Raymond Felton would have been a capable replacement. Instead, this version of the trade dumps the unhappy Diop, which has its plusses. Back for his second tour with Dallas after signing a $32-million contract last summer, Diop expected to compete with Erick Dampier for the starting center job.

That never materialized for Diop as Dampier has been "good," according to Carlisle. (Dampier's numbers are 7.5 rebounds and 5.6 points entering Saturday.) Diop wanted out and Charlotte did pursue the Senegal native during the offseason before he returned to Texas. Dallas is now off the hook on a sizable contract for a bit player.

"The minutes aren't there for Gana," Nelson said. "We've taken, in essence, what's been an insurance policy at the backup center and transferred that into more of the need. We do need another shooter.

"So this deal addresses more of a need for our team and it certainly doesn't preclude us from making other adjustments or upgrades."

Nelson, Carlisle and owner Mark Cuban aren't done shopping. A top-flight swingman, a low-post scorer and someone with the ability to create shots for others remain on the wish list before the Feb. 19 trade deadline. Then again, a deal may not get done.

It can easily be argued that if the Mavs stand pat, it would take quite a leap of faith to consider Cuban's crew contenders. There's been little to suggest through 40 games that the Mavs can win the West.

Nelson disagrees. Josh Howard's return to health and someone, anyone stepping up at shooting guard could be enough, Nelson said.

"If we're healthy," he continued. "It's been really frustrating because I don't think we've been at full strength all year. If all the pieces are there and everyone is playing to their capabilities, we have a lot of confidence with this group."

He even said it without a yawn.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #189
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd is going to turn Hollins into an All-Star.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #190
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting dude.

Donnie sounds delusional when he moans about health. It's been Josh and that's it (our record without him is roughly comparable with so, so what?).

Compared to what the Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Hornets, etc. have gone through, we've done all right on the injury front.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #191
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I am still not buying this "we need another shooter" bit. We need another third scorer, sure, but why another shooter? Terry and Dirk are arguably the best pure shooters in the league. They are going to give you 50 points a game at least. What the Mavericks need is a scorer of a different talent. Low-post, driving or getting easy buckets around the rim type of player. That is what they need. Just about every single player on our team takes tons of jump shots. It's time to explore for something other than just a shooter. I know jump shots are important but not to a team that has the two best jump shooters in the league.

Let's see a more versatile player on offense.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #192
eTainer

eTainer is on a distinguished road

good point im with you

Last edited by eTainer; 01-19-2009 at 10:27 AM.
eTainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #193
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Kidd is going to turn Hollins into an All-Star.

haha, yeah..

Imo, if we got this dude for Diop I don't see him being any different than Green. It seems he is actually smart watching him on the mav-jazz postgame interview. I would love for us to get a few guys that flourish here like Bass but I don't expect much.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #194
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I am still not buying this "we need another shooter" bit.
I think it's partly true, but it was also said with sensitivity towards Diop.

Sure he got paid, but the guy came to Dallas this summer, while also being pursued by many teams.

To simply say we made the trade for money wouldn't be very PC.

Quote:
We need another third scorer, sure, but why another shooter? Terry and Dirk are arguably the best pure shooters in the league.
The problem is...that's it. They're not only our best two shooters on the team...but they're also our only shooters.

2 out of our 10 man rotation really isn't saying much...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #195
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
I am still not buying this "we need another shooter" bit. We need another third scorer, sure, but why another shooter? Terry and Dirk are arguably the best pure shooters in the league. They are going to give you 50 points a game at least. What the Mavericks need is a scorer of a different talent. Low-post, driving or getting easy buckets around the rim type of player. That is what they need. Just about every single player on our team takes tons of jump shots. It's time to explore for something other than just a shooter. I know jump shots are important but not to a team that has the two best jump shooters in the league.

Good point. Dirk and Jet are threats, but we need a 3rd guy we can rely on to score, whether from the post or from 20+, additional help is needed. It'd be nice if Kidd and Damp picked up the scoring load, whether it's together on pick and rolls or Kidd taking more shots. But given the way the team has progressed, that 3rd scorer is a must to compete in the west. We'll probably see the playoffs, but to sniff the next round, a 3rd scorer is a must. Guys like O'Neal, Marion are fits, Redd also.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #196
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Because no team in the history of the NBA has ever won anything meaningful with only two guys who can consistently make jump shots.

You're confusing "shooter" with "good shooter." Nobody is saying we need another guy to come in and shoot 28% from 3 and 41% overall. People are saying we need another GOOD shooter. Honestly, we probably need more than one. Top to bottom, this is a really, really bad shooting team. We have two exceptional shooters who pull our percentages way up, but that just obscures the massive deficiency in the rest of the roster.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-19-2009 at 12:38 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #197
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I haven't looked at the viability of the trade itself at all... but would you take a player like Luis Scola of Houston? Is that the type of low-post energy scorer you're talking about?

MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #198
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksFan5912 View Post
I haven't looked at the viability of the trade itself at all... but would you take a player like Luis Scola of Houston? Is that the type of low-post energy scorer you're talking about?
Sure, although I doubt Scola is available. Mainly a player that isn't going to do one-on-one isos for an outside jumper the whole game.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #199
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Because no team in the history of the NBA has ever won anything meaningful with only two guys who can consistently make jump shots.

You're confusing "shooter" with "good shooter." Nobody is saying we need another guy to come in and shoot 28% from 3 and 41% overall. People are saying we need another GOOD shooter. Honestly, we probably need more than one. Top to bottom, this is a really, really bad shooting team. We have two exceptional shooters who pull our percentages way up, but that just obscures the massive deficiency in the rest of the roster.
I agree. Especially if JKidd is going to be your PG and if your 5 is offensively challenged.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #200
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I was just reading some Bobcats forums and apparently the general consensus over there is that they overwhelmingly got the better half of the deal.

lol
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diop becomes mvp?, junk-4-junk, salary dump, trade