Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #81
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand not giving an injury prone guy like Nick Johnson 5+ mil.

I do NOT understand giving Darren Oliver 3+ mil. Darren Oliver, for some reason, was always one of my favorite Rangers in the late 90's. And he's definitely been effective against lefties in relief. But are we really paying 3+ mil for, essentially, a LOOGY?

Does this mean they're really serious about moving CJ to the rotation? And if that's the case, are you moving a couple people out? Because right now you could say the rotation is a bit crowded.

I just don't understand.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't pigeon-hole Oliver as a LOOGY. He's been pretty effective against all hitters out of the Angel pen. I just don't understand putting money toward the bullpen when you're this cash strapped. There must be a trade coming.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-20-2009 at 11:03 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #82
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

I do NOT understand giving Darren Oliver 3+ mil. Darren Oliver, for some reason, was always one of my favorite Rangers in the late 90's. And he's definitely been effective against lefties in relief. But are we really paying 3+ mil for, essentially, a LOOGY?

Does this mean they're really serious about moving CJ to the rotation? And if that's the case, are you moving a couple people out? Because right now you could say the rotation is a bit crowded.

I just don't understand.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't pigeon-hole Oliver as a LOOGY. He's been pretty effective against all hitters out of the Angel pen. I just don't understand putting money toward the bullpen when you're this cash strapped. There must be a trade coming.
Maybe we are just bringing back as much of the late 90s team as we can. I can just see us signing roger pavlik now/
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #83
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:

I just don't understand.

I heard the news this morning and thought that maybe he was signed on the cheap as a flyer...but if what your sayings $3+ Mil is true...I don't get it.

Soon we'll see what type of team is shaping up on the field and see if they are ready to take that next step, and go for 95 wins and a Division Championship?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #84
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I just don't understand.

I dont think theres anyway they sign him for 3 mil. Honestly i dont see any reason to sign him. We picked up snyder and rapada and theres a very good chance one of them turns into a good loogy. You should never pay that much for a loogy.

edit never mind, i just checked my email and got jameys update. ugh. i hate this deal.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 12-21-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #85
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hate it, I just don't understand it, unless another move is in the works. Bullpens are always a year to year proposition, and there's a lot of question marks in ours. I certainly don't expect O'Day to give us that level of performance this year.

So if they were working with a larger budget I could see adding Darren Oliver. He's been awfully good in relief the past few years.

But when you're this short on cash, bullpen is the last thing I was 3.5+ mil being flushed into right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #86
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

who knows...perhaps the new ownership has more money?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #87
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I don't hate it, I just don't understand it, unless another move is in the works. Bullpens are always a year to year proposition, and there's a lot of question marks in ours. I certainly don't expect O'Day to give us that level of performance this year.

So if they were working with a larger budget I could see adding Darren Oliver. He's been awfully good in relief the past few years.

But when you're this short on cash, bullpen is the last thing I was 3.5+ mil being flushed into right now.
I agree. Honestly, this has to be a wait for the other shoe to drop trade. Either Cj is about to be moved or one of the other starters will be moved for a bat.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #88
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
who knows...perhaps the new ownership has more money?
Let's hope, pretend and pray that this is the reason, jthig.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #89
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Rangers sign Vlad.

Bourbon, Young, Hamilton, Vlad, Kinsler, Cruz, Davis, Salty, Andrus

With Murphy and Teagarden and maybe Smoak on the bench.

A new murderers row. Wow that is a tough lineup to pitch against if they are healthy.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #90
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well, healthy and playing up to their ability, in the case of Hamilton, Vlad and Davis.

It's potentially a nice lineup, for sure.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #91
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

They insinuated on the radio the other day that Vlad isn't exactly going to help them all be a very patient bunch, and that he hits into a lot of DP's.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #92
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
They insinuated on the radio the other day that Vlad isn't exactly going to help them all be a very patient bunch, and that he hits into a lot of DP's.
I'd have to look up the DP numbers. He's definitely very, very slow at this point, so that's possible.

And he's never walked much.

It's hardly the ideal signing for a middle of the order bat, but you have to look for bargains when your franchise has been completely crippled financially.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #93
Five-ofan
Guru

Vlads skillset is clearly one that could age very poorly. However he played well after he came back from the dl last year and for all the talk of his free swinging, he has a career 386 obp. Since our defense shouldnt need a dh who is able to step in and play a position, i really like this signing. The fact that he has utterly dominated in Arlington(to be fair hes dominated Texas pitching everywhere) doesnt hurt either. Also while it may not help others be more patient, i put everyones success on their own shoulders and he is a "presence" for whatever thats worth. I think a conservative estimate for him could be 300/350/500 line if hes even remotely healthy. Given the constraits we have to work with im thrilled with this signing. JD has had an AMAZING offseason given what he as to work with.

Also, not that this is important for texas next season or should factor into jds decision making but i for one will be thrilled to get to cheer for a first ballot hofer. (i know alot of saber guys have started saying that he could end his career without the resume to get in, but honestly thats people outsmarting themselves. Hed be a hofer if he never played another game.)

Last edited by Five-ofan; 01-11-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #94
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good day for Rangers fans.

Quote:
Hicks on verge of deal to sell Rangers

link

Tom Hicks is close to a deal to sell the Texas Rangers baseball team, the prospective buyers announced early Saturday.

If the sale is completed, Hicks, who also co-owns Premier League club Liverpool, would be one of the biggest investors in the group of about a dozen buyers, but he would have only a minority stake in the team.

Hicks entered into an exclusive 30-day negotiation window on Dec. 15 with Pittsburgh sports attorney Chuck Greenberg's investment group that includes Nolan Ryan, the Rangers president the past two years.

Greenberg and Hall of Fame pitcher Ryan said in a statement as their exclusive negotiating period expired that "extraordinary progress" had been made over the last couple of weeks.

"We are on the verge of an agreement that would provide Tom Hicks the value he seeks and the Texas Rangers the resources to become champions," Greenberg and Ryan said.

It was unclear early Saturday if the exclusive negotiating period would be extended, or if Hicks would again consider other bids.

Hicks bought the team in 1998 for $250 million from a group that included former President George W. Bush and Forbes earlier last year valued the <Rangers at $405 million.

Hicks Sports Group defaulted early last year on $525 million in loans tied to the Rangers and the NHL's Dallas Stars, which Hicks has owned since 1996. Hicks has said that was a deliberate move to force lenders to renegotiate terms of the deals.

Hicks is also facing financial pressures with Liverpool, which is co-owns with fellow American George Gillett Jr.

The pair are looking for minority investors to inject 100 million pounds ($163 million) into the 18-time English champions, which has debts of 237 million pounds.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-16-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #95
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting read found over at LSB.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #96
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

So, who has #4 and #5 to start the year now that JD has said Colby Lewis is definitely in the rotation? Obviously Harden, Feldman, and Lewis round out the first 3, but what about the next 2?

If you go with the safe bet in Tommy Hunter who gets the last spot? McCarthy? Sheets if his number request drops due to a good but not outstanding pitching session? Do we really want 5 RHPs in the rotation? Putting Holland or CJ in would give us a lefty; however, would we rather have a stronger pen with Holland getting more confidence in AAA?

Lewis hurt our youth a bit regarding the opening day rotation, but this is a good problem to have. Maybe he is a stud too, but I think a 2.80+ ERA overseas is going to definitely increase here. I also know someone will likely suck and be replaced or get hurt so again, this is a good problem.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #97
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

LET'S HAVE A PARTY!!!

Quote:
Chuck Greenberg's group has completed the purchase of the Rangers from owner Tom Hicks. The next step is to get it approved by the banks and MLB. But this step is complete. An announcement coming soon.

Under the agreement, Greenberg is expected to become managing general partner, Nolan Ryan becomes a limited partner and remains club president and Hicks remains with the team as a minority investor.

The hope is that all of this will be officially wrapped up by Opening Day. Again this is just one step in the process.
Link

Oh, and you want even MORE good news??

Quote:
The deal, according to sources, cuts owner Tom Hicks almost entirely out of the picture. He will be a partner with Greenberg and Ryan, but his ownership share will be very small, sources said, and his spot on the new board of directors is in question.
Link

So, so happy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #98
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LET'S HAVE A PARTY!!!

Link

Oh, and you want even MORE good news??

Link

So, so happy.
great news

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #99
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

There's a pretty epic celebration thread going on at Lone Star Ball
Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #100
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Yeah the guys over there have been planning a gif thread for several days now. Great stuff.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #101
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's an even more epic one at LSB right here.

Last edited by tcat075; 01-24-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This makes me very happy in my Ranger pants:

Quote:
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Chuck Greenberg, who has an agreement in place with Hicks Sports Group to purchase the Texas Rangers, walked onto the field in Arlington wearing a red Rangers pullover.

"I bought this thing during that homestand where it rained almost every day last year," Greenberg said. "It just sat on my chair the last four months. I didn't put it on until Saturday night."

Saturday was when his group, Rangers Baseball Express, finally got the deal hammered out with former owner Tom Hicks. It won't become official until HSG's 40 lenders and 75 percent of the MLB owners approve the agreement. That could take another few months. But Greenberg said Monday he's hopeful that it will all be resolved by Opening Day.

Greenberg took some time to talk with ESPNDallas.com about the team and his vision.

Q: Give us a sense of how this club will operate in terms of your role and others. Will you make the day-to-day decisions? How will it work?

A: I'll be the managing partner and CEO. If you like what's going on or you don't like what's going on, I take responsibility for that. Nolan [Ryan] and I will work very closely tougher. When it comes to baseball, I'm not going to interject my opinions. I love the game of baseball and I love talking baseball. If Nolan and JD [Jon Daniels] want to discuss something with me, they can, but I have complete faith and trust in the decisions that they make. I'll be as involved as they wish me to be, but with complete faith and confidence in them.

What I'm going to focus on, particularly since the baseball side is in great shape, is the business side. How do we connect with the community? How do we create a higher tempo of energy in the front office? How can we do a better job of filling the stands and make an impact on people's lives? If we succeed on the business side and continue on path on the baseball side and combine it with a dynamic market like this is, we can be and should be one of the powerhouse franchises in baseball.

Q: Define your philosophy and direction for the club.

A: We want to be passionately and obsessively dedicated to being the very best we can be in everything we do. That's scouting, developing, playing hard, playing smart, connecting to the community in terms of what we do on the baseball side of things. And in the front office, we want to get out in the community and positively affect people's lives. We want them to know that the Rangers are here to serve our fans, not ourselves.

We want to do everything we possibly can to make an experience of being at a Rangers game memorable. We want to be absolutely obsessive and passionate about going to bed every night with the idea that we want to be better when we wake up. That means getting ideas from fans, media, players, elected officials, business partners. If there's an idea that can make us better, we want to hear about it. We don't think we have a monopoly on wisdom. We'll embrace the opportunity to get better.

Q: Why did you choose the Texas Rangers to make this purchase attempt? What was it about this team that interested you?

A: I think the Rangers are the perfect set of circumstances. It has a wonderful community that loves its sports. It deeply wants to believe in the Rangers, but hasn't had an opportunity to have those dreams fully realized. They have an outstanding, young major league team and a great farm system. The baseball operation is tremendous. Four of the top 51 picks in the draft, which means an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent. But it's a franchise that needs a little push and a little infusion of energy to help it connect in a way where the whole is more than the sum of the impressive parts. Hopefully that's what we're going to be able to do. All of the elements to have a great, great franchise are here. It just needs a little push and direction to get there.

Q: Talk about why you believe so strongly in Nolan Ryan's ability to lead the team.

A: He's a special person. His personal values and qualities are exemplary. He's a great role model for everybody, but particularly for players as they develop as professionals. His knowledge in the game and insights are staggering. He's got great judgment. When you combine all of that with the towering respect that everyone throughout the community and in the game has for him, it's really the total package in terms of the person you want to lead the baseball side of the operations.

He's done a great job. I think Jon Daniels has done a great job. I think together they are a duo that every franchise in baseball would be thrilled to have. But the Texas Rangers have him, and that's a great thing.

Q: What role will Tom Hicks have in the club?

A: I give Tom an enormous amount of credit for providing a smooth, clean passing of the torch toward a new era. I'm sure there was a tremendous temptation to be involved and to be on the board, but I think for the franchise's future and for Tom's legacy, the way we ended up putting this together is best for everyone. I think Tom deserves a lot of credit for that. It really is a smooth and clean transition, but Tom is a very important member of the community. He's had a lot of experiences throughout his tenure as a sports franchise owner and we won't hesitate to call upon him and benefit from those insights.

Q: Where do you think this team's payroll should be?

A: That depends. If you have a veteran team, the payroll is different than a younger team. You have to be able to scout and develop well and have a pipeline of prospects and then as they grow into outstanding players, you have to have the resources to keep them. The idea is not to be a farm team where you just have good young players and they reach a certain level and they go on to play in New York or Boston.

In a market like the Metroplex, the resources are here. We have to do a better job of cultivating that support. Is there one payroll figure that makes sense? No. I just think it depends on the circumstances. We have to be in position to continue to add the pieces and be a championship club and make sure it stays that way.

Q: Will the Rangers spend like a big-market team?

A: If the organization is doing all of the things it ought to do in all facets of the operation, this franchise should be able to operate like a big-market team. When you look at Anaheim and Philadelphia, they are smart, clever, have resources and use them wisely. Those are types we can emulate.

Q: Are there a few things you'd do to the park?

A: I certainly don't want to be judgmental. I was at about 16 games last year and formed some preliminary impressions. I think that it's a beautiful, iconic ballpark. I love it. But in terms of some of the bells and whistles, what was state of the art in 1994 could use some freshening up in 2010. The LED ribbons were terrific, but I do believe that having a more centrally located HD video board can enable the game-day experience to be enhanced for fans and business partners. But it's not just a matter of buying an expensive piece of video equipment.

Whatever we do with this ballpark will be with care for the legacy of the ballpark. We made improvements to the ballpark with my teams a year or so after we bought them and when we were done there, it was tough to see what was new and what wasn't. I like that. It has to go with how the ballpark is now and work for the place.

Q: Once this deal is official, what are you looking forward to most?

A: Everything. Everything about a franchise is special to me. I love watching the game and hearing the sounds. I love interacting with fans. I love the look on a kid the first time he's been to a game or the look of Mom and Dad as they watch their son or daughter at a game. It's nice to see friends enjoying the games. The ballpark is a great gathering place. To be a part of that, I take enormous pride in. To be able to do it in a community as wonderful and dynamic as Metroplex with a franchise and fans who waited patiently to have their moment, to have a chance to try to deliver on that promise is awfully exciting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #103
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to all you Rangers faithful...I hope you get yours.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #104
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

A big sigh on Ben Sheets being signed by the As... It sucks that we didn't get him and it also sucks that a team in our division did. If anyone in our division was going to get him I am glad it was the As as they will still struggle due to their lack of offensive talent.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #105
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
A big sigh on Ben Sheets being signed by the As... It sucks that we didn't get him and it also sucks that a team in our division did. If anyone in our division was going to get him I am glad it was the As as they will still struggle due to their lack of offensive talent.
At ten million plus incentives for one year(which is what olneys reporting, Heyman is saying 8)? They can have him. Thats roughly what hed be worth as a 3 win pitcher and hes going to have to throw 200 innings to do that. I just dont see him being worth this contract. Plus i dont think theres anyway you can start a season with two guys who are as big an injury risk as both him and harden are which puts into an either or scenario. Harden is a better pitcher, has been healthier recently and we got him for cheaper.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #106
92bDad
Platinum Member

There is hope for us Ranger faithful...I was a kid during the Buddy Bell days, and I'm still looking forward to this team/organization turning into a year in and year out contender.

That being said, this is about as close as I've felt to this team turning the corner, since the Oates days...let's hope this time it sticks and they can give the other local teams a run for their money!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #107
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
At ten million plus incentives for one year(which is what olneys reporting, Heyman is saying 8)? They can have him. Thats roughly what hed be worth as a 3 win pitcher and hes going to have to throw 200 innings to do that. I just dont see him being worth this contract. Plus i dont think theres anyway you can start a season with two guys who are as big an injury risk as both him and harden are which puts into an either or scenario. Harden is a better pitcher, has been healthier recently and we got him for cheaper.
Oh I agree, but if the As didn't break the bank for him I think he could have been signed for a good bit less, (6-8 plus incentives). All I am saying is the thought of running Sheets, Harden, and Feldman out there in a playoff series is rather nice. This gives an opportunity for guys like Lewis, Feliz, Holland, Hunter, etc... to step up and become that 3rd VERY dependable guy for us, but still... Heartbreaking to lose him to a divisional foe no matter what you think about the contract.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-27-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: To fix a typo...
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #108
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i posted a feel good story about Wash middle of last season in another thread, and now i'm gonna post this...it's kind of ironic, cause it's highly probably that he was doing cocaine when that last story was published.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1b883a276.html
Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #109
92bDad
Platinum Member

Hopefully this attack on Ron Washington goes away quickly, so he and the Rangers can focus on the season.

As far as I understand, he has completed everything mandated by the league and the Rangers have supported him as he goes through the process. This appears to be highly isolated in terms of incidents and thus a bit of a non-story.

Best of wishes to Ron Washington and the Texas Rangers as they get ready to embark on a successful season!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #110
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Being high would explain his decision making at times.. He's a horrible in game manager but somehow gets the players to play hard for him.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #111
tcat075
Diamond Member

I watched my first ST game last night...good win, 8-1.

Feldman didn't have much command or his best stuff at all, but he fought and battled and I believe he made it through 4 innings scoreless (Oliver gave up the run...right? too lazy to look). Impressive stuff after throwing 8 straight balls to open the games. There will be points in the season where he's going to have to do that.

Nellie blasted two opposite field shots (one off Aardmas, Seattle's 40-something save closer). He's going to be doing a lot of that this season. Crush hit one out and hammered a single into the gap (got cut off, but the point was he had some solid hitting). His domination continues...leads all of MLB in ST in average and hits. Josh got under one and drove it out of the park...it had some serious air time. Way up in the air. Keep it up, please!

Borbon, from what I've read, is still a weakness in center because of his weak arm, but he's got the range to make some catches most people don't so the weak arm can be lived with. He had one nice diving catch...very Byrd-esque.

I realize now why Arias has an edge on Esteban German for the utility spot. I personally would prefer German, because I think he has a better bat (remember that 5 hit game against KC? Granted, it was KC, but 5 hits ain't nothing to sneeze at). But German made back to back errors (first one was a little cheap...hit the lip of the grass and the dirt and instead of bouncing up to him it rolled across the ground and German couldn't adjust in time...second one was just bad though) at shortstop and that's a position which is kind of important for a Utility guy to know how to play.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #112
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Any one have a link on the game, so I can watch at work?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back on da scene, it's over, shut the fluff up, tag wasting, with tha fluffy lean