Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #41
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I found this very interesting on Kidd and the Mavs. LINK

Q: Does Dallas' thorough shellacking of the Spurs mean that the Jason Kidd-Devin Harris trade wasn't one of the five worst trades of the decade?

A: You know what? I have to say yes. To be clear: The Mavs still gave up waaaaaaaaay too much and should have fired their coach before shaking things up; there's an 81 percent chance they'd be just as unstoppable with Devin Harris in Kidd's place. But you can't deny Kidd's effect on Jason Terry, Josh Howard and Dirk -- he lives to make them better and they are better. Beyond that, the Mavs have excellent chemistry for the first time I can ever remember. Part of that might be Nowitzki emerging as a leader, but again, maybe that doesn't happen without Kidd.

The most interesting wrinkle to me: Of any "former great," with the possible exception of Karl Malone, Kidd did the best job of accepting his weaknesses and accentuating his strengths. He can't defend good point guards anymore, and he always shot a poor percentage. Fine. But he can run a team. He can make 3-pointers as long as he's wide open. He can advise and lead. He can run fast breaks as well as anyone. He can still jump passing lanes and swipe a dumb pass. He has recreated himself as a still-effective complementary player. That's something that Gary Payton couldn't do, or Chris Webber, or Allen Iverson, or Charles Barkley, or Larry Johnson, or Mitch Richmond, or Glen Rice, or Penny Hardaway, or Jermaine O'Neal. ... I mean, it's hard to say, "I can no longer do everything from A through Z, but I can still do A, D, F, J, K and M, so that's what I will do."

In a stroke of luck, Kidd might make it the rest of the playoffs -- a postseason that featured a remarkable slew of penetrating point guards -- without facing anyone else who will chew him up like Tony Parker did. In Round 2, Chauncey Billups is a perfect matchup for him, a herky-jerky, physical jump-shooter who Kidd can bump and grind. In Round 3, he'd go against Derek Fisher, Shannon Brown and the Artist Formerly Known As Jordan Farmar, or as I like to call them, the Poop Club Sandwich. In the Finals, he'd get Mo Williams and Boobie Gibson. That's why I see Kidd gaining steam as the playoffs keep going, this rejuvenated Dallas team making the Western Conference finals, and even the Lakers sweating out that Finals berth more than people anticipate.

You know what else? A reader (can't remember his name) pointed out something to me that I passed along in a podcast and now I will mention here: Kidd is the only guy who can defend LeBron and Kobe. Why? They respect him too much. They don't want to kick his butt. It doesn't make them feel good. They settle for jumpers instead of just destroying him off the dribble in a goofy display of guilt and respect. Back in the '60s, Wilt rarely unleashed against Russell because he liked him so much. ... In fact, that was Russell's ploy, to make Wilt like him so he wouldn't annihilate him. I don't think Kidd thinks that way; the situation is what it is. Those guys love him from their Redeem Team days and have no interest in eviscerating him now.

But as strange as this sounds, Jason Kidd's advanced age and declining defensive skills might be Dallas' best chance against the Lakers and Cavs. Call it the Pity Theory. Just wait.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #42
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
You think he's the kind of guy that wants to be on the feared team on the league? Really? I don't get that from him. He wants to be on a good/competitive team and be a major contributor to it but I think there is a difference between that and saying I want to be on the most dominant team in the the league.
Phil and Kobe have already said in public how much they would love to have Kidd on the team, they will go after him, I have no doubts... btw there are other good pgs that will be available in free agency.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #43
cowgirl

cowgirl will become famous soon enoughcowgirl will become famous soon enough
Default Kidd

You know the funny thing is all of dallas and you guys have talked bad about Kidd and the trade and how you want Devin and you hate Kidd and it was a bad trade, now that he got us in the playoffs this has changed you all want him to stay. What is wrong with you people. Devin didnot get his team to the playoffs and he didn't get us out of the first round now that Kidd did now you like him I don't blame him if he goes, Dallas fans or fly by night and go only with the good when it gets bad you bail. I love this team win or lose and I stick with whoevery they pick up because I think they no what they are doing even if we have to lose some guys we love. Wake up and smell the roses and be a fan and maybe Kidd will feel more wanted.
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #44
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
You know the funny thing is all of dallas and you guys have talked bad about Kidd and the trade and how you want Devin and you hate Kidd and it was a bad trade, now that he got us in the playoffs this has changed you all want him to stay. What is wrong with you people. Devin didnot get his team to the playoffs and he didn't get us out of the first round now that Kidd did now you like him I don't blame him if he goes, Dallas fans or fly by night and go only with the good when it gets bad you bail. I love this team win or lose and I stick with whoevery they pick up because I think they no what they are doing even if we have to lose some guys we love. Wake up and smell the roses and be a fan and maybe Kidd will feel more wanted.
Simple as that:
1 "true" playoffs with Kidd for Harris: horrible trade
2-3 playoffs with Kidd for Harris: Nice trade
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #45
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
As a Devin Harris trade detractor, I have to say I still think it was a horrible trade... But, my feelings about the trade have never affected my opinion of Jason Kidd, who I love watching play and cheer for as much as any other Mav.

But I will be pissed at Kidd if he bails on us after we gave up so much to get him. That isn't fair to Kidd, but as a fan, I don't care. If he signs with LA I'll be driving up to staples at least once next year, not just to cheer on my mavs, but also to boo the heck out of Jason Kidd.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #46
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
As a Devin Harris trade detractor, I have to say I still think it was a horrible trade... But, my feelings about the trade have never affected my opinion of Jason Kidd, who I love watching play and cheer for as much as any other Mav.

But I will be pissed at Kidd if he bails on us after we gave up so much to get him. That isn't fair to Kidd, but as a fan, I don't care. If he signs with LA I'll be driving up to staples at least once next year, not just to cheer on my mavs, but also to boo the heck out of Jason Kidd.
Kidd is going to choose what's best for him business-basketball situation wise. It will have nothing to do with past or present acquisition.

A bit I want to toss out regarding the Cavs, is Rasheed Wallace is/was on their radars. Seems the Cavs would have been on his tail if the Pistons gave him a buyout......also Sheed could be a Cav via their MLE, doubt the Pistons would help a division rival out with a sign and trade.....just food for thought in terms of Kidd options.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #47
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Kidd is going to choose what's best for him business-basketball situation wise. It will have nothing to do with past or present acquisition.
No sh!t.. Really?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #48
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
No sh!t.. Really?
Maybe moreso business wise, I think goes for the cash, if Cuban gives him more than any MLE offer out there.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #49
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Another option: Is Kidd wanting to see what the Mavs do over the summer to decided if we're a contender or not, and is pushing for another solid player to be here (Shaq etc..) or he walks. I'm sure he took notice that the Mavs were a 7 seed and out in the 1st round a year ago and have made no major moves since. Maybe he wants to see what Cubes is gonna do before he decides what he is going to do. This summer may be the ultimate game of chess.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #50
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Uggh run on sentence ack!
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #51
particleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Maybe moreso business wise, I think goes for the cash, if Cuban gives him more than any MLE offer out there.
It's hard for me to imagine Kidd being swayed too much by the money at this point... But I hope you're right, though I would be worried if they overpaid him too much...
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #52
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Depends on this run, how far we go, how Howard is doing....even this far, may have cinched it....if the money's there. He did say length of deal was important. Can't see the Cavs giving more than 2 years....if that.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #53
Dnowit41

Dnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to all

Regardkess what happens in the playoffs, its gonna be an interesting offseason.

A clear night in big D. Thousands of fans ready...anxiously awaiting his arrival.
The signal high in the Dallas sky calls for one person, and one person alone.........#41
Dnowit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #54
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, Kidd had a whopping 3 turnovers versus SA.

Ask any NBA coach, and they will tell you how ridiculously important that is.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #55
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

That is very impressive. For someone who handles the ball a lot and plays around 80% of the game, that is really impressive.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #56
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks want free agent Kidd to return

09:16 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

Though it looked at the time like Jason Terry knew something the rest of us didn't, he said Wednesday his comment about Jason Kidd's future was not a sign of Kidd's imminent departure from the Mavericks.

After the Mavericks closed out San Antonio on Tuesday, the sixth man of the year said on a postgame television interview that Kidd "is probably not going to be with us next year."

That caused a stir among Mavericks fans, but Terry said he wasn't privy to any future personnel decisions by the team.

"Basically, I was saying the time is now to win," Terry said via e-mail. He added that since Kidd is a free agent this summer, there are no guarantees that Kidd will be in Dallas.

Owner Mark Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson downplayed any implied meaning from Terry.

"I think it's Jet's way of saying we want to win now," Cuban said. "We have Kidd's Bird rights, and in this market, that's everything."

The Mavericks can pay Kidd more than virtually all other NBA teams this summer. The teams that could compete for him financially are not championship quality.

Said Nelson: "We have every intention of having him back with the Mavericks."

Which makes sense. The Mavericks gave up a young, All-Star point guard in Devin Harris, plus two first-round draft picks in last year's trade for Kidd.

To let him walk after a year and a half with only a trip to the second round of the playoffs to show for it (so far) would make the trade look bad for the Mavericks. And they already have taken a hit in the court of public opinion for doing it.

Kidd has consistently said he wants a multiyear contract and has no intention of being a rent-a-player on a one-year deal with a title contender. He reiterated Wednesday that he's keeping all his options open, which is what free agency is all about.

"In this business you never know," he said. "We just have to play it out. I would love to come back. We will see."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.38511ca.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #57
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I still think Terry's comments throw a major curveball for the situation but like I said...it could be the other route where he's using it to bring home a deeper sense of urgency.

If you can take that part out of the equation, might be hard to do, then I don't see anything different than what the idea or thought process has been since as recent as 2-3 months ago or so. At that time they were still in the thick of figuring out if they'd even make the playoffs or not and it was being reported that Cuban was still going to want to bring Kidd back and figure out a deal that makes both sides happy. That might be a 2010 friendly contract or it could be something in the Matt Carroll framework. That in the form of it be medium in years but front-loaded. Again, I don't see anything different.

edit:
After reading that article (Thanks monty!)...I'm even more convinced that nothing has changed. Both parties would probably love things to continue. It's just working the numbers right.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 04-29-2009 at 10:13 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #58
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

This is yet another reason why the trade was horrible. What if Kidd doesn't re-sign? Then we're pretty much f*cked. It's obvious that if we're going to have any chance of keeping him, we're going to have to overpay to do it. If it hadn't been for that stupid, moronic, suicidal trade, we'd have no such questions at point guard.

And don't get me wrong, cowgirl. Kidd has played well this year, and I give him all the credit in the world for that. But a first-round win against a Ginobili-less Spurs team doesn't change the fact that that idiotic desperation trade made us older, slower, and much less potent offensively. I think if we hadn't made that trade, we'd still only be one or two pieces away from being in the finals again. After the trade I can't even imagine getting back into title contention without landing a superstar. Even a Gasol-type trade wouldn't be enough now. It would take an all-NBA first team caliber player at either the 2 or 5 spots. Short of landing a Dwyane Wade, or a Dwight Howard, I don't see us being a 60+ win team again.

And on a different note, I still say Cleveland is much better off without Kidd. Taking the ball out of LeBron's hands is the dumbest thing you could possibly do. The need a 2 that can play defense and shoot the 3, not another ball-handler.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-29-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #59
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

That is salty.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #60
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1588

Capology And Captain Kidd
D-Lord On The Dollars And Sense Of J-Kidd's Future As A Mav
By David Lord -- DB.com

Quote:
Among Jason Kidd’s strongest attributes? Timing.

The Mavs needed somebody to lead them past a favorite, to blend a team in a way that would outshine a shinier, newer point guard, and to overcome a stomach flu to make clutch 3-pointers, recover tons of loose balls and to commit just three turnovers(!) over the course of five games against the vaunted Spurs defense?
Timing. Which brings us to Kidd’s coming payday – and what we predict will happen.

It’s easy to get all overheated about this, one way or the other. The excitement of what Dallas just achieved. … Kidd’s age. … the way he’s bonded with Dirk. … and did we mention Kidd’s age?

And it’s natural for talk of J-Kidd’s present performance to morph into talk about J-Kidd’s future contract.

We think we know what the Mavs think of him. It is summarized in coach Rick Carlisle’s end-of-Round 1 quote:

“I can’t say enough about what he’s done for the team,’’ Carlisle said of Kidd. “His knowledge of the game, his knowledge of the team, him having the pulse of the team, all so critical. He’s really led our team.’’

What Fish has been saying the last few weeks about Kidd’s alerting of the Mavs’ BBIQ is stunningly true. Carlisle acknowledges it there. Owner Mark Cuban Tweeted the same sort of message, essentially congratulating the organization for pulling the trigger on the veteran basketball savant:

“How many starting point guards in the West under the age of 30 will be playing after Saturday?’’ Cuban said.

There’s a lot of emotion there. Understandably so, by the way.

Want more emotional thought? After G5, Jason Terry said: “Our goal is to win a championship. Obviously there is some urgency, with Jason Kidd probably not going to be with us next year. The time is now.’’ Whoa, little fella! One more quote before we get to the business of business. Note how Kidd approaches it as exactly that, a business, telling our friend Art Garcia that while he “loves Dallas,’’ he also “ want(s) to prove to the suitors I can still play at a high level and still help a team," he said, "especially a team that's close to winning a championship." Our job here: To try to approach Kidd’s contract future dispassionately and rationally and within the boundaries of what we believe to be reality. It’s Capology as it applies to Captain Kidd.

Reality 1 - First and foremost, this summer Kidd will be looking for a payday - not a team's coattails to ride to a chance at a title. The root of his departure from NJ had nothing to do with his play or age. Instead, it stemmed from NJ's refusal to give him an extension, in the context of them giving huge long-term deals to the other members of the NJ big 3 (Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson). That continued refusal incited Kidd's push for a trade and eventually the acrimony became so great they moved their leader to Dallas. Despite all the talk here and there, his goal has never changed; his highest priority is to get a new legitimate payday when this deal runs out, not a token paycheck from a theoretically better team.

Do we see any cause for concern in Jason Terry's statements yesterday that Kidd is "probably not going to be with us next year"? Not at all. Kidd is looking for money and doesn’t want to be a rent-a-player.’’ We think JET’s comments are mostly about creating a sense-of-urgency mindset. (In fact, JET cleared up his comments today in the DMNews).

Reality 2 - Who can offer him the biggest payday? The Mavs, by far. They are in control all the way, when it comes to money. As we've been stressing all along, Dallas has Bird rights on Kidd. In the aftermath of the JET comments, Cuban noted that fact. "In this market,'' that's everything,'' Cuban said.

What does it mean? It means they can offer him a new deal starting at any amount up to about $22.44M. Other teams will be limited to deals starting with their MLE (which is expected to be around $5.5M) if they are over the cap, or their cap room if they are far enough under the cap. That first category will include all the teams with the top records this year like the Lakers, Celts, Cavs, Magic, and so on. The only teams with cap room in excess of the MLE this summer are expected to be Detroit, Atlanta, Memphis, and Oklahoma City, none of whom appear to be as close as Dallas to a title run over the next few seasons.

Reality 3 - Who will want to offer him big money? Of the 4 teams noted above as having cap room to spend, it wouldn't appear likely that any of those 4 would make Kidd a priority and try to spend their cap room on him anyway. The rest of the teams can't offer him more than the MLE without the cooperation of the Mavs in a sign-and-trade scenario of some sort. Since Kidd is looking for a payday, the Mavs look to be the ones in control from this angle as well.

Reality 4 - Kidd's offers will all be for 3 years or less due to the over-36 rule. According to that rule, because Kidd is 36, the full value of any contract of 4 years or longer gets allotted into the first 3 years' cap accounting (and that increased cap number in years 1-3 must fit within the team's cap or MLE room). For practical purposes, that rules out the possibility of any team offering 4 years or longer.

Reality 5 - Could the Mavs sign him to an extension? In theory, yes, they could circumvent the free agency competition by working out an extension prior to July 1. An extension would be limited to one less year (five) than the longest possible new deal they could offer after July 1 (six), but because of the over-36 rule a deal longer than 3 years won't be discussed anyhow.

Reality 6 - Because of their significant advantage in the size of the contracts they could offer, the Mavs also have the opportunity to design creative contractual solutions that blow everyone else out of the water yet still make sense for the Mavs' future. For example, a deal with declining salaries in year 2-3 (the limit on a decrease would be 10.5% of the 1st year salary) could leave extra spending room to snag a prize from the big free agent class in the summer of 2010, while still totaling way more than Kidd can get elsewhere. And a deal with a year 3 that is only partially guaranteed (ala the current Stackhouse contract) could provide an option for big trade opportunities in the summer of 2011 if Kidd's play goes downhill in the interim. So for example the Mavs could offer him a 3-year deal with annual salaries of $10M, $9M, $8M (with only half or less of the money guaranteed in year 3), a deal that leaves them plenty of options while still almost certainly guaranteeing Kidd way more than anyone else can/will spend. There are a lot of ways to work the numbers if Kidd and the Mavs want to make things happen, in a way that makes everyone happy.

Reality 7 - The most advantageous path to the Mavs future likely revolves around decisions made this summer, not in 2010. Yes, in theory the team can angle for cap room in 2010, but to do so, they'd have to do the following: forego spending their 2009 MLE, let the Stackhouse contract reduce their payroll rather than someone else's, and choose between a new deal for Kidd or new deals for the youngsters they've been developing (Bass, Singleton, Hollins, and perhaps Green). However, if they instead make their splash in 2009, they can do all of the following: pluck a prize with their MLE (given how teams are angling for 2010 cap space, will an MLE or less get you a player like Ariza, Rasheed, McDyess, Artest, M Barnes, G Hill, Marion, Iverson, and so on?), use the Stackhouse contract to trade for another prize, and pay the money to bring back both Kidd plus all the developing talent.

The difference between the talent gained in those two scenarios is huge, with the only benefit to waiting to 2010 being if the Mavs truly believe they can snag a young superstar in 2010 free agency to take over carrying the team for the next 10 years, in the same fashion SA added Duncan to David Robinson in the summer of 1997. However, taking the 2009 plunge actually could be just as opportunistic in getting that 2010 free agent, in that it fills the talent cupboard full of sign-and-trade pieces, which would be useful in dealing with another team who is seeing they will lose their star in 2010 but is willing to do a trade to accept back talent rather than lose him for nothing.

Reality 8 - The bottom line is this: Kidd will be a Mav next year if Mark Cuban wants him back. His return will hinge on money - and the Mavs have the ability to offer far more than anyone else, combined with the ability to creatively structure things to their benefit as well as his. Will Cuban step up to the plate? No one can say for sure, but recent history tells us that when he likes a player and thinks he will make the team better, he's not shy in spending what it takes to keep them (if you don't believe that, ask Stackhouse, George, JET, and many others). And for all the talk you hear from Kidd about other destinations, accept those as attempts on his part to persuade Cuban to up the ante to a price that will keep him happily in Dallas.

Said GM Donnie Nelson: "We have every intention of having him back with the Mavericks."

There's your sense. There's your decision on dollars to come. And there's your essential end to the "controversy'' about Jason Kidd's future as a Mav.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #61
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't know where you were... but we kind of made it to the finals in 2006. Harris was a huge reason for that.

Anyway, I'm proud of Kidd in these playoffs. He's got more fight left in him than I would have ever given him credit for without seeing it with my own eyes. I don't buy into Simmons pity theory (I wish...) since Kobe's always been about winning and Lebron's playing like he needs to prove something (and I guess he does). The thing that concerns me the most is, once Lebron receives his MVP trophy... how much more motivated will that make him? Will he take it to another level? Is that possible?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #62
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I like D-Lord's article but everything is pretty focused from a Mavericks point of view. I would have like to see him discuss how guys like Kobe and Lebron have strong ties with Kidd and will try very hard to land him on their team in the off-season.

Also, he mentioned that Kidd is 36 but he doesn't mention that the only thing the guy doesn't have is a ring. If LA signed him to a 3 year deal for the full MLE this off-season then he could very well retire at the end of his contract with three championships and end his career being part of a dynasty.

I'm just not sold on the notion that Kidd can be bought out this time around. It's possible but it's not a sure thing.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #63
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I like D-Lord's article but everything is pretty focused from a Mavericks point of view. I would have like to see him discuss how guys like Kobe and Lebron have strong ties with Kidd and will try very hard to land him on their team in the off-season.

Also, he mentioned that Kidd is 36 but he doesn't mention that the only thing the guy doesn't have is a ring. If LA signed him to a 3 year deal for the full MLE this off-season then he could very well retire at the end of his contract with three championships and end his career being part of a dynasty.

I'm just not sold on the notion that Kidd can be bought out this time around. It's possible but it's not a sure thing.
Well, I can agree with the connections with Kobe and Lebron and etc. But Kidd has said he doesn't want to be a rent a player or just ride the coattails. He's also said this is a business, if he said "I'm just going for the ring" then yeah, I can see him leaving when he gets the chance to go to LA or Cleveland and just forget the fact he can maybe get at least twice the money with Dallas and a decent shot at a run. He wants a multi-year deal and he wants the money he thinks he deserves. That was his gripe in NJ, he saw other guys getting money but when it came to Kidd he never got it...so he wanted out. The still puts Dallas in a position of strength in the negotiations.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #64
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, I can agree with the connections with Kobe and Lebron and etc. But Kidd has said he doesn't want to be a rent a player or just ride the coattails. He's also said this is a business, if he said "I'm just going for the ring" then yeah, I can see him leaving when he gets the chance to go to LA or Cleveland and just forget the fact he can maybe get at least twice the money with Dallas and a decent shot at a run. He wants a multi-year deal and he wants the money he thinks he deserves. That was his gripe in NJ, he saw other guys getting money but when it came to Kidd he never got it...so he wanted out. The still puts Dallas in a position of strength in the negotiations.
I don't blame Kidd complaining about that while being stuck in NJ. Put him on the Lakers, though, and I don't think he sings the same tune. This could really go either way but there is legitimate reason to be concerned.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #65
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course, this makes the assumption that the Lakers will get farther in the playoffs than the Mavs this year...

(what - is my homerism showing?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-30-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #66
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I don't blame Kidd complaining about that while being stuck in NJ. Put him on the Lakers, though, and I don't think he sings the same tune. This could really go either way but there is legitimate reason to be concerned.
That is very possible about the Lakers idea. I'm not blind to it and will say right now it's 100% lock he stays, I do see the threats and they are legitimate but I think when it's all said and done he will still be a Maverick.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #67
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
That is very possible about the Lakers idea. I'm not blind to it and will say right now it's 100% lock he stays, I do see the threats and they are legitimate but I think when it's all said and done he will still be a Maverick.
That's what I'm hoping for...along with at least one other all-star caliber player Words can't describe how badly I want Dirk to win a ring in Dallas and Kidd getting a ring in Dallas where he began his career would be almost as good.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #68
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for...along with at least one other all-star caliber player Words can't describe how badly I want Dirk to win a ring in Dallas and Kidd getting a ring in Dallas where he began his career would be almost as good.
Me too. I think Dallas can keep Kidd and depending on how things play out with the playoffs, there is still potential to keep Kidd AND be a major player this summer to revamp the team and be an even bigger factor.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #69
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Quote:
I like D-Lord's article but everything is pretty focused from a Mavericks point of view.
Of course. It's an audience of Mavs fans, wanting to know what are the chances of Kidd staying. But the points are factual, not skewed - the Mavs have all the cards here.

Quote:
Four reasons why those aren't at the forefront:
1. If the payday is the same, then yes "better chance for a title" will certainly have the edge.
2. He can get no guarantees of a ring, no matter where he signs. If he takes half price and then doesn't get a ring, isn't he doubly screwed? Or what if he gets traded after taking a discount? The only guarantee is the money.
3. He just went through a divorce about a yr ago and lost major assets. A man in that situation isn't giving discounts on his last opportunity for a big payday as he tries to rebuild his financials. Never.
4. But to me, the key is this: Every statement and angle by Kidd over the last 3-4 years has subtly been about him getting this next deal. He's never said he is open to taking less than the best deal he can land. It's always been about the money (and why shouldn't it be, it's his job). So if you think it's REALLY about other things, you're tricking yourself; it's never changed.

Quote:
I would have like to see him discuss how guys like Kobe and Lebron have strong ties with Kidd and will try very hard to land him on their team in the off-season.
My answer - they will be irrelevant. It's going to be about the money. Which is why explaining the money was the focus of what I wrote.

Now, if those players can bring MONEY to the equation, where it's only about recruiting and the money is pretty close to the same, that's a different matter. But the money will be what shapes his choices, and the Mavs are in control.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #70
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord View Post
Of course. It's an audience of Mavs fans, wanting to know what are the chances of Kidd staying. But the points are factual, not skewed - the Mavs have all the cards here.

Four reasons why those aren't at the forefront:
1. If the payday is the same, then yes "better chance for a title" will certainly have the edge.
2. He can get no guarantees of a ring, no matter where he signs. If he takes half price and then doesn't get a ring, isn't he doubly screwed? Or what if he gets traded after taking a discount? The only guarantee is the money.
3. He just went through a divorce about a yr ago and lost major assets. A man in that situation isn't giving discounts on his last opportunity for a big payday as he tries to rebuild his financials. Never.
4. But to me, the key is this: Every statement and angle by Kidd over the last 3-4 years has subtly been about him getting this next deal. He's never said he is open to taking less than the best deal he can land. It's always been about the money (and why shouldn't it be, it's his job). So if you think it's REALLY about other things, you're tricking yourself; it's never changed.

My answer - they will be irrelevant. It's going to be about the money. Which is why explaining the money was the focus of what I wrote.

Now, if those players can bring MONEY to the equation, where it's only about recruiting and the money is pretty close to the same, that's a different matter. But the money will be what shapes his choices, and the Mavs are in control.
Good points, DLord, thanks for sharing that info. The financial hit from the divorce especially makes a lot of sense. I'm looking forward to reading your articles as this story progresses.

Hopefully we'll be able to keep Kidd here and nab a couple other quality players so he can have the best of both worlds ... a good contract and a championship level team.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #71
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

I'm not too concerned about it - I don't think he'll go for the MLE (from 22 mil to 5.5 would be quite a hit for someone who is still a starting PG on a playoff team) so we'll either resign him or sign and trade him if he really wants to go to cleveland or LA - in which case we'll get something good in return.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #72
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Another thing I was thinking about was the cost of living in LA. It's significantly higher there than in Dallas and this would further diminish his net salary if he were to join the Lakers.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #73
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Just win and let the chips fall where they fall.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread fiber