Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #41
GoNugs

GoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Come with facts and respect and you will be respected here. Troll and you will be dissed.

Mavs fans are looking at losing 3 of 4 games by a total of 7 points, and thinking this looks pretty even. 2 hottest teams in the West. 2 best old man point guards. 2 all-stars at the 3.

This ought to be fun.

I couldn't agree more. I believe the series is pretty even...in my opinion, neither side has a significant advantage...which was my point...

I disagreed with the assessment that Howard is equal with Anthony.
GoNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #42
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNugs View Post
I disagreed with the assessment that Howard is equal with Anthony.
comparing players can get very subjective, but looking at their career stats is illuminating.

the bottom line is that they are very, very close. anthony has a 5% better 3 pt percentage, a less than 3% better ft percentage, more than twice as many assists/gm with twice as many turnovers/gm.

oh yeah, anthony takes 40% more shots hence the higher scoring avg.

so yes, there is a valid argument that the two players can be viewed as equals.

they both also can be a knucklehead at times, and that seems to be an area that anthony has been much more proficient than howard. after all howard never openly defied his coach during a game like anthony has.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #43
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
Clearly comparing players can get very subjective, but looking at their career stats is illuminating.

Clearly the bottom line is that they are very, very close. anthony has a 5% better 3 pt percentage, a less than 3% better ft percentage, more than twice as many assists/gm with twice as many turnovers/gm.

oh yeah, clearly anthony takes 40% more shots hence the higher scoring avg.

so yes, clearly there is a valid argument that the two players can be viewed as equals.

Clearly they both also can be a knucklehead at times, and that seems to be an area that anthony has been much more proficient than howard. after all howard never openly defied his coach during a game like anthony has.
Clearly fixed..

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #44
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

that is so crystal clear now, but yet not quite bright enough!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #45
GoNugs

GoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these parts

I find it somewhat funny that I am considered to be the one that is not subjective here, when the premise supported is that the Mavs have an advantage at every position, with the exeption of the 3 (Carmello vs Josh) and that is equal...including bench play, coaching and intangibles.

Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #46
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNugs
hopefully I can have a little fun on the Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNugs View Post
Thanks for the chuckle.
Glad we could be of service.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #47
GoNugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Glad we could be of service.
It's shocking that a team with such inferior players and coaching swept the season series.

Shocking.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #48
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The importance members put on what Barkley says on TV really shocks me.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #49
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Subjective:

Kidd vs Billups --- Even, both have their days, Kidd the better master controller, and Billups the better dagger shooter. Both are exceptional at their jobs. Kidd will be in the HOF, and Billups has a ring.

Smith vs Terry --- Even, both are very sweet shooters and both are streaky. Neither is a defensive juggernaut.

Jones vs Wright --- Even, both are defensive guys who can provide some offense at times.

Carmelo vs Howard -- Adv Denver slightly. Carmelo is used to being the #1 option, and he is a very good scorer. JHo is a little better defensively (when he wants to be), IMO, and when he plays in the system a very good secondary scorer. If JHo plays lights out on both ends though, this becomes adv Dallas.

Dirk vs KMart -- Adv Dallas. Dirk is the best offensive and overall player on the floor. Birdman will spend as much time on Dirk as KMart does. KMart is physical, but officiating will determine how much of an advantage Dirk has here. If they let KMart foul alot without calls, adv Denver, if not, Dirk will go off on them and huge adv Dallas.

Nene vs Damp -- adv offensively to Nene, in fact fairly large. Adv defensively to Damp. How are the officials going to call it? Are they going to let Damp defend the rim, or call ticky tack stuff? This battle will be determined by the officials more than anything.

Karl vs Carlisle --- even, IMO. They are both veteran coaches with lots of wins.

Bench vs Bench -- crapshoot - both benches have been very good at times and very bad at times. Hollins vs Birdman -- etc. you just don't know till its played.

Intangibles -- adv Denver. They have home court. They won the season series. They had the better overall record.
Both teams seem to be peaking at the right time. Both teams have high confidence.

Overall, IMO, it is too close to call......but I'd give a slight overall advantage to Denver.

The team that gets on a roll and rides it will probably end up playing LA in about two weeks.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #50
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

As Mavs fans, we may not have the most non-biased opinions...so I wonder, and this is obviously for another thread...but how would we break down the other Western Conference matchup?

Houston v LA?

Do the Rockets have a chance...or do we believe the Lakers are SOOOO superior that they will simpy showup and be handed the series victory?

After all, it's being said that who ever wins between Dallas and Denver will be facing the Lakers...But I wonder, could the Rockets be the perfect type of team to upset the Lakers?

Would it be great to somehow see the double upset and have Barkley eating some Texas swine-flu CROW in a Texas Hold Em Western Conference Finals?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #51
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

The Rockets do have a chance because of the match ups

Fisher against Brooks
Artest/Battier guarding Kobe

Yao against Bynum, he has to absolutly dominate this match up in every way possible
Rockets are going to need Scola, Wafer, and Landry to score
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #52
GoNugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The Rockets do have a chance because of the match ups

Fisher against Brooks
Artest/Battier guarding Kobe

Yao against Bynum, he has to absolutly dominate this match up in every way possible
Rockets are going to need Scola, Wafer, and Landry to score
One thing all Nuggets fans and Mavs fans can agree upon....we'd all like to see the Rockets win that series.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #53
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

GoMavs

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #54
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Barkley is a dick.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
got a bit fluffy in here