Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-19-2004, 03:59 AM   #1
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough
Default josh smith, stromile swift, stephen hunter

I realize, aside from the nashness factor, the reason why the suns are playing so well really boils down to their athleticism. By athleticism, I mean they have tall, quick players that get up and down the court in amare, hunter and marion that simply overwhelm most teams. If the mavs were to do one trade, I hope that they would attempt to get a player in the mold of a steven hunter or josh smith (stromile swift anyone?). This is the type of player that I feel would be a perfect fit with these new look mavs. I really like all of our two guards, but I think the mavs would benefit more from trading one of them, perhaps combined with one of our centers, in order to pick up one of the aformentioned player-types and a decent backup two guard.

IMO, a lineup of terry/harris, finley, howard, nowitzki, and a stromile-type would dominate teams that force nellie to take out dampier. If DJ had more polish to his game, he could perhaps fill this role, but as is, he seems more geared as a banger to me.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2004, 04:06 AM   #2
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all
Default RE: josh smith, stromile swift, steven hunter

Swift has a no-trade status, I think.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:13 AM   #3
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough
Default RE:josh smith, stromile swift, steven hunter

I think the mavs could use a swift-type player -- not necessarily swift himself. Actually, I don't think stromile would be that great of a fit because of chemistry issues, but I believe his athleticism, length and skills befit the type of player that the mavs MAY need to push them over the top.

But thanks for bringing that information up. Are there any other players who are tradable and can reasonably fit this role?
Old 12-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Haslip or Chandler, maybe.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Haslip or Chandler, maybe.

Just looked over Haslip. He definitely looks like someone that fits the bill. Chandler may also be a possiblity, but he seems to be playing well lately so I'm not sure the Bulls would consider a trade. Chandler would be nearly perfect, especially, if we were able to get Piatkowski over here in a trade as well.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pirate
Swift has a no-trade status, I think.
Swift hasn't been in the league long enough to have a no-trade clause. He is in the last year of his contract and is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, which makes acquiring him now an iffy proposition unless you are confident that you can re-sign him.

Re: Chandler, I'd love to acquire him and use him in a three-man rotation up front with Dampier and Nowitzki, but the question again is what Chicago would want that Dallas has and is willing to give up. Stackhouse for Chandler/Piatkowski has been discussed in this forum recently, but I can't see why Chicago would do that.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

Yup KG, I got the piatkowski-chandler idea from one of your posts over at LMF. IF the mavs do any trades, this would be the TYPE of trade I would be looking for.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: JLEEHASMUCHGAME
Yup KG, I got the piatkowski-chandler idea from one of your posts over at LMF. IF the mavs do any trades, this would be the TYPE of trade I would be looking for.
Sure, no question about it. The problem, of course, is that teams with athletic 4/5 types who can run the court, jump, and have some semblance of skill don't give those guys up easily.

It'd be nice if we had one more pure shooter off the bench, but I doubt you could get that AND a 4/5 for Stackhouse.

He's not a pure shooter, but my feeling is that it's more likely that Jason Terry develops into our third "shooter" than it is that we trade for one.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

I searched a little bit for interesting players, and a couple guys I found were Chris Wilcox of the clippers and jamal sampson of the bobcats. Wilcox is playing well right now, and the clippers are a conference rival, so I don't know if trading for him is at all feasible. But a player like stackhouse might be attractive to the clippers because they could put maggette at the 3 and have stack playing the 2. I'm not sure if that would make them better, but they may perhaps go for that. If this deal was possible, I would like the mavs to try to pry kerry kittles away from them as well.

Jamal Sampson, judging purely from stats, is still raw at the moment. After doing a pretty extensive search, I realize that players of this ilk are neither in abundant supply nor are they easily let go of. Thus, Sampson somehow did appear to me to be an option, if the mavs were looking for an athletic 4-5 type. Again, I think Charlotte MAY pull the trigger on a deal involving stackhouse. They certainly could use more firepower.

Does anyone know what kind of player Dermarr Johnson is? And has he fully recovered from his car accident back in 2002? He looks like an interesting 6'9 prospect who can hit the three on the nuggets. But he barely grabs rebounds, which troubles me about him.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Chris Wilcox is an intriguing player, but he's having a good year for the Clippers, and I doubt they'd give him up cheaply. They have four starters averaging at least 35 mpg (Jaric, Maggette, Simmons, Brand), and Wilcox starts at the other position (center). Their other options at center are Kaman and Mikki Moore. I doubt we have a center they want in return.

So yeah, I'd love to get Wilcox, but I don't see it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Re: Sampson, I'd rather give the minutes to any of the 5 centers we have now.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I think the only way Chicago would trade Chandler is if we gave them Howard. And I wouldn't do that trade.

What bad contracts does Chicago have?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:27 PM   #12
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Stromile Swift does indeed have no-trade status this year. So the only way he can be acquired is when he becomes a free agent next summer. He will probably get some nice contract offers. There is a lot of talk about him among various fans.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote