Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the series be?
Mavs in 4 0 0%
Mavs in 5 1 5.56%
Mavs in 6 7 38.89%
Mavs in 7 6 33.33%
Jazz in 7 1 5.56%
Jazz in 6 1 5.56%
Jazz in 5 0 0%
Jazz in 4 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2022, 11:02 PM   #81
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
If I recall in similiar situation vs the Spurs in the WCF's back in 04 I think Cuban said NO

He wouldn't let Dirk play in the rest of that series do to a knee sprain. He said at that time they wouldn't risk further injury because he had long career ahead of him.
It was in 03, and it was Nellie who refused to play Dirk, and Cuban was furious because the doctors had cleared Dirk to play. Their relationship wasn't great to start with, but from that point on it was toxic, and they never recovered from it.

For the record, I am 100% on Cuban's side in that debate. For all intents and purposes, that series was the Finals. If we win that series, we win the title. Nellie's not a f**king doctor and has no business overruling medical professionals, especially when there's an NBA championship on the line. Why the hell even have team doctors if you're just going to ignore them?

I've never lost too much sleep over that one because even if Dirk plays, I think the Spurs still probably win that series, but it still makes me mad whenever I occasionally think back on it.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #82
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
It was in 03, and it was Nellie who refused to play Dirk, and Cuban was furious because the doctors had cleared Dirk to play. Their relationship wasn't great to start with, but from that point on it was toxic, and they never recovered from it.

For the record, I am 100% on Cuban's side in that debate. For all intents and purposes, that series was the Finals. If we win that series, we win the title. Nellie's not a f**king doctor and has no business overruling medical professionals, especially when there's an NBA championship on the line. Why the hell even have team doctors if you're just going to ignore them?

I've never lost too much sleep over that one because even if Dirk plays, I think the Spurs still probably win that series, but it still makes me mad whenever I occasionally think back on it.
I was so mad at that for a number of years. Nellie cost Dirk a championship
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #83
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Luka did not practice 5 on 5 but was doing cardio and no boot

I’d say that means he misses at least games 1 if not 1-2

Then again, Luka is built like Dirk and doesn’t take no for an answer

We will need to submit an injury report later today so we’ll see
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #84
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Luka did not practice 5 on 5 but was doing cardio and no boot

I’d say that means he misses at least games 1 if not 1-2

Then again, Luka is built like Dirk and doesn’t take no for an answer

We will need to submit an injury report later today so we’ll see
My bet is the report says questionable. That's the smart move either way.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #85
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Sad we lost Underdog along the way.

He created all the GDts in the first round against Portland in 2010-2011 and started the sweep of LA GDTs. Gonna need some strong mojo until Luka is healthy
Old 04-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #86
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

So uh TM on hoop collective podcast

“The question is not whether Luka will play in game 1, but whether he will play in the series”

“The idea of him playing the first two games would be absolutely shocking and frankly dangerous. That’s not realistic”
Old 04-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #87
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Shams straight speculating there, I hope his sources are so fucking wrong. Dislike the trend that's becoming a need to be "first" and hope you're right. The latter part doesn't carry much weight cause even if they prove to be wrong, they can just call Luka a warrior and quietly chastise their sources in the background. Bunch of leeches.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #88
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
So uh TM on hoop collective podcast

“The question is not whether Luka will play in game 1, but whether he will play in the series”

“The idea of him playing the first two games would be absolutely shocking and frankly dangerous. That’s not realistic”
I believe he might miss the first 2, but the idea he wouldn't play in the series is a 0 percent chance of happening. TMac is the king of stirring the pot, and this is no different.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-15-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #89
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I believe he might miss the first 2, but the idea he wouldn't play in the series is a 0 percent chance of happening. TMac is the king of stirring the pot, and this is no different.
I get wanting to be positive and TM is an easy target but at best we can hope for game 3 return.

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-15-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:47 PM   #90
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Sad we lost Underdog along the way.

He created all the GDts in the first round against Portland in 2010-2011 and started the sweep of LA GDTs. Gonna need some strong mojo until Luka is healthy
What do you mean we loss underdog?
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #91
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
What do you mean we loss underdog?
Probably just that UD doesn’t post on here anymore. They are on Twitter though
Old 04-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #92
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I made my prediction

I'm basing this off of Luka possibly missing the 1st two home games.

I got Mavs in 7

Game 1 Jazz
Game 2 Mavs
Game 3 Jazz
Game 4 Mavs
Game 5 Mavs
Game 6 Jazz
Game 7 Mavs (HCA Finally pays off for Dallas)

My Ex Factor is Dinwiddie I think he'll hold it down doing the time Luka is out

My MVP of the series though will be DFS. I think his defensive work on Mitchell will allow the Mavs to close out this series
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #93
Melonhead
Guru

I hope they have a game plan to keep Gobert out of the lane. He’s gonna be a big problem with guys fear of attacking and settling for 3s…

HCA is so big because if first two games were in Utah with Luka out for both, I’d predict Mavs aren’t winning the series.

Cautiously optimistic Mavs can get one of two in Dallas. Luka back game 4 at worst down 2-1
Old 04-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #94
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Kevin Durant says hi
As I recall, Kevin Durant was coming back from a calf strain when he blew out his Achilles. So I am preparing myself for a Luka-less playoff run. I'd much rather lose to Utah in 4 than have Luka be gimpy into the next season.

And I say that as a person who was in the stands the night in 2003 when Dirk hurt his knee. That was before we knew he was bionic.

I found this when I Googled Durant calf and achilles injury.

"Durant had been dealing with a calf injury, on the same leg, for a few weeks before this Achilles injury. He missed several games because of the calf injury and was in his first game back in action...The calf and Achilles tendon are so interrelated that most times when one has a problem so does the other.

Hoping the NBA would overturn that tech has taught me, again, to be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by G-Man; 04-15-2022 at 05:12 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #95
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

If Luka happens to miss 4 games. We getting swept?
Who has legit experience and the stones to carry us? Oddly my hope lies in SD and DFS.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-15-2022 at 05:14 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #96
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I hope they have a game plan to keep Gobert out of the lane. He’s gonna be a big problem with guys fear of attacking and settling for 3s…

HCA is so big because if first two games were in Utah with Luka out for both, I’d predict Mavs aren’t winning the series.

Cautiously optimistic Mavs can get one of two in Dallas. Luka back game 4 at worst down 2-1
I fully expect Gobert to avg around 15 rebounds per game.

The Mavs simply don't have the size to match him on the boards and TBH luka is the teams best rebounder.

We just got hope either Kleber or Bertans can keep Gobert honest on defense and bring him out the paint by knocking down 3's
Old 04-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #97
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I definitely think it goes 7 games for sure. So many silly predictions of Mavs or Jazz in 4 or 5 is silly. It's going 7 with or without Luka. Hopefully with...

Old 04-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #98
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Rick Brunson had a career high 19points in one game

He’s going to watch his son drop twice that on the Jazz

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-15-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:35 AM   #99
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Game starts early because the Stars have a 7pm game the same day.

Pray for Luka!
More reason why the Mavs need their own arena not shared with hockey team
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:36 AM   #100
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
If Luka happens to miss 4 games. We getting swept?
Who has legit experience and the stones to carry us? Oddly my hope lies in SD and DFS.
Agree...and after the dust settles the stupid anti-Luka people will still say see Luka can't win a series.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:37 AM   #101
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
As I recall, Kevin Durant was coming back from a calf strain when he blew out his Achilles. So I am preparing myself for a Luka-less playoff run. I'd much rather lose to Utah in 4 than have Luka be gimpy into the next season.

And I say that as a person who was in the stands the night in 2003 when Dirk hurt his knee. That was before we knew he was bionic.

I found this when I Googled Durant calf and achilles injury.

"Durant had been dealing with a calf injury, on the same leg, for a few weeks before this Achilles injury. He missed several games because of the calf injury and was in his first game back in action...The calf and Achilles tendon are so interrelated that most times when one has a problem so does the other.

Hoping the NBA would overturn that tech has taught me, again, to be careful what you wish for.
Most orthopedic surgeons have said those 2 events were unrelated except by timing proximity. Just because A happened doesn't mean B was the result.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:45 AM   #102
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

No matter what happens, we went further in the playoffs than the Clippers and Lakers
Old 04-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #103
vegeta71854

vegeta71854 is on a distinguished road
Default Is Luka out for the series?...

Man this is a real bummer....they have been playing so great and this just puts the wind out of me. Just can't see it if he isn't playing
vegeta71854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #104
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Most orthopedic surgeons have said those 2 events were unrelated except by timing proximity. Just because A happened doesn't mean B was the result.
A quick google search gives tons of orthopedic surgeons warning about the link between Achilles tears and calf strains.

Brad Botkin
@bradbotkincbs
Dr. Alan Beyer of the @HoagOrthopedic Institute said this to CBS Sports before Kevin Durant returned for Game 5: "With a weakened calf, you're worried about significant re-injury and even tearing the Achilles tendon further down."

“Strains of any sort are small tears in muscles that can vary in severity. The calf itself is made up of three main muscles (gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantaris), as well as the achilles tendon. Generally, strains in this area come with an Optimal Recovery Time anywhere from three to six weeks depending on the severity, which isn’t great news for the Mavericks with the playoffs set to begin the Saturday.

Calf strains are incredibly tricky injuries that are notoriously slow to heal and easy to aggravated. When a player returns too soon, they are at a High Risk of suffering a more significant calf strain or related injury such as a ruptured Achilles. Those calf muscles meet at the Achilles tendon, so when the muscle is damaged it makes the connecting tendon more vulnerable. That’s exactly what happened to Kevin Durant a few years ago.”
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #105
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

It would be such a shame to not see Luka in this years playoffs. He seems to be made for the playoffs. Not many players can step up their game in the postseason. He seems to have a different poise in the playoffs. The most frightening player in the whole league. Easy walking 40 points triple double.
And I hate the media talking heads with them saying he can‘t get out of the first round and needs to proof himself. What a joke. He took prime KL&PG to 7 games practically by himself.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #106
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

Damn. Apparently no Luka tonight per Tim McMahon. I really thought he would be back tonight. Our boys need to play hard. A win would demoralize the Jazz. Getting beat in a series by a team that doesn't have their best player. It's going to be crazy today.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #107
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Either the supporting cast steps up

Or we get swept and we better turn that 26th pick into something special
Old 04-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #108
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson is stepping up!

Last edited by bernardos70; 04-18-2022 at 07:49 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:10 PM   #109
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
Damn. Apparently no Luka tonight per Tim McMahon. I really thought he would be back tonight. Our boys need to play hard. A win would demoralize the Jazz. Getting beat in a series by a team that doesn't have their best player. It's going to be crazy today.

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-18-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:57 PM   #110
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
A quick google search gives tons of orthopedic surgeons warning about the link between Achilles tears and calf strains.

Brad Botkin
@bradbotkincbs
Dr. Alan Beyer of the @HoagOrthopedic Institute said this to CBS Sports before Kevin Durant returned for Game 5: "With a weakened calf, you're worried about significant re-injury and even tearing the Achilles tendon further down."

“Strains of any sort are small tears in muscles that can vary in severity. The calf itself is made up of three main muscles (gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantaris), as well as the achilles tendon. Generally, strains in this area come with an Optimal Recovery Time anywhere from three to six weeks depending on the severity, which isn’t great news for the Mavericks with the playoffs set to begin the Saturday.

Calf strains are incredibly tricky injuries that are notoriously slow to heal and easy to aggravated. When a player returns too soon, they are at a High Risk of suffering a more significant calf strain or related injury such as a ruptured Achilles. Those calf muscles meet at the Achilles tendon, so when the muscle is damaged it makes the connecting tendon more vulnerable. That’s exactly what happened to Kevin Durant a few years ago.”
Jeez, I had no idea calf strains were that bad. In that case, I'd rather Luka sit out the whole playoffs, as much as that pains me to say. If putting him out there in his current condition means he's at a higher than normal risk of tearing his achilles, then it's just not worth it.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:05 PM   #111
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Jeez, I had no idea calf strains were that bad. In that case, I'd rather Luka sit out the whole playoffs, as much as that pains me to say. If putting him out there in his current condition means he's at a higher than normal risk of tearing his achilles, then it's just not worth it.
It's still a balancing act either way. Guys like Kawaii and KP are babied to death with their injury concerns and they still get hurt. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions that might impact a player's health. If this was next season and Mavs were serious contenders do you still bench him no matter what?

I also don't want to jeopardize Luka's long term health, but we are pretty much in the dark about how bad his injury is. Based on his progression, it doesn't look THAT bad. He seems to be ramping up to eventually play.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:48 PM   #112
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's still a balancing act either way. Guys like Kawaii and KP are babied to death with their injury concerns and they still get hurt. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions that might impact a player's health. If this was next season and Mavs were serious contenders do you still bench him no matter what?

I also don't want to jeopardize Luka's long term health, but we are pretty much in the dark about how bad his injury is. Based on his progression, it doesn't look THAT bad. He seems to be ramping up to eventually play.
I think game 4 should be the target

that puts him close to 2 weeks out before his return.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:12 AM   #113
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-c...r-shaqs-chain/

Looks like Barkley lost his bet

He predicted the Bulls, Mavs, Raptors, and Pelicans would get swept

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-19-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:40 AM   #114
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

I don't think this is like Kawhi or KP though. Those guys are incredibly injury prone no matter what. This is about protecting Luka from a very specific injury under a very specific set of circumstances. You do NOT fuck around with an achilles.

Now if this were next season and the Mavs were serious contenders for the title, then I probably would have him play. A championship is worth a high risk. But that's not relevant. It isn't next season, and the Mavs are not serious title contenders at the moment. A first round victory against Utah just for the chance to lose to Phoenix is not worth risking an injury to Luka that could derail his entire career.

At the end of the day though, amateur opinions don't matter. The team doctors are the only people whose opinions actually mean anything. If they say Luka can play then that's enough.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #115
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Shams:

Sources: There’s optimism Dallas Mavericks star Luka Doncic will return for Game 3 (Thursday) or Game 4 (Saturday) vs. Jazz. The calf strain that Doncic suffered on April 10 is improving and workouts over next two days could determine comeback timing.

Last edited by BPo001; 04-19-2022 at 03:31 PM.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #116
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon
Source describes Luka Doncic’s chances of returning for Game 3 as “uncertain” and says it’s “day to day.” Thursday will be 11 days after Doncic suffered left calf strain.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #117
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rick Brunson had a career high 19points in one game

He’s going to watch his son drop twice that on the Jazz
Hmmmmm.....someone’s psychic.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:46 PM   #118
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think this is like Kawhi or KP though. Those guys are incredibly injury prone no matter what. This is about protecting Luka from a very specific injury under a very specific set of circumstances. You do NOT fuck around with an achilles.

Now if this were next season and the Mavs were serious contenders for the title, then I probably would have him play. A championship is worth a high risk. But that's not relevant. It isn't next season, and the Mavs are not serious title contenders at the moment. A first round victory against Utah just for the chance to lose to Phoenix is not worth risking an injury to Luka that could derail his entire career.

At the end of the day though, amateur opinions don't matter. The team doctors are the only people whose opinions actually mean anything. If they say Luka can play then that's enough.
I’m with you on this. No rush to see him back. We should have our eyes on a bigger prize than winning a first round series against the Jazz. I think this should be slow played and to be honest Luka sort of made his bed here. He’s at least partly responsible on some level for playing meaningless minutes in a meaningless game. I hope he learns from this.

No way we are getting past a healthy Suns team and then GS and then Boston, Brooklyn, Philly, Miami or a Milwaukee in the East. If Luka comes back our best case is we win round 1 against a Utah and he doesn’t get injured any further. Worst case I don’t even want to ponder.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #119
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Mavs PR
@MavsPR
·
59s
The Dallas Mavericks will host the Utah Jazz in Game 5 of the First Round of the NBA Playoffs on Monday, April 25 at 8:30 p.m. CT, televised on TNT.
At least one more home game

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-19-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:08 AM   #120
blessednegr0

Devin Booker messed up his hamstring today. Things could get very interesting based off of Luka's return. I am curious to see if Luka comes back Thursday.