Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #481
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I think its time to start coming up with MVP talk for each of the leagues. Right now i would be leaning towards Beltran in the NL. The AL is tougher. If Minny makes the playoffs i would go with Joe mauer. If they dont it gets alot tougher. If they dont and Boston does I would go with Manny ramirez. If neither does and the White sox do i would go with Jermaine Dye. Im curious to know who others would vote.
Manny Ramirez isn't even the MVP of his own team. Manny may have superior numbers this year, but David Ortiz has so many clutch hits, I don't see how he doesn't get voted the MVP if the Sox get into the playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #482
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

My MVP's are David Ortiz and David Wright.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #483
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably throw my MVP vote at Big Papi too.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #484
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about papi and its not purely that hes a dh that keeps him from winning since manny might as well be. If the twins make it i dont really even see an argument for anyone else except maybe morneau. A good catcher hitting 350+ on a playoff team is the mvp in just about any year. THe thing is Manny beats papi in Average, OBP, OPS, and O2S. So papi has alot of game winning hits? Do you want to give GMJ the MVP? He leads the AL in OPS, BA, and OBP in Close and late situations. Yes Papi is clutch but did any of you ever think that if he got a hit earlier in the game he might not have to be so clutch? Baseball is purely a game of numbers as far as hitting goes. He with the better numbers was the better hitter for that year. Not to mention that Manny is a big reason papi sees all those pitches. Could you imagine what manny would do if he had someone like himself batting behind him?

Last edited by Five-ofan; 08-10-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #485
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

As for wright, I love wright and all but Beltran is on the same team and he has absolutely spanked wright in just about every category but BA. On the same team he is beating Wright in Hrs, RBI, SB, OBP, OPS, O2S, Slugging, Doubles and he has even been caught Stealing less. Not to mention he is a better center fielder than wright is a 3rd basemen and center is a more important position.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #486
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought about papi and its not purely that hes a dh that keeps him from winning since manny might as well be. If the twins make it i dont really even see an argument for anyone else except maybe morneau. A good catcher hitting 350+ on a playoff team is the mvp in just about any year. THe thing is Manny beats papi in Average, OBP, OPS, and O2S. So papi has alot of game winning hits? Do you want to give GMJ the MVP? He leads the AL in OPS, BA, and OBP in Close and late situations. Yes Papi is clutch but did any of you ever think that if he got a hit earlier in the game he might not have to be so clutch? Baseball is purely a game of numbers as far as hitting goes. He with the better numbers was the better hitter for that year. Not to mention that Manny is a big reason papi sees all those pitches. Could you imagine what manny would do if he had someone like himself batting behind him?
I don't necessarily disagree, but the sheer number of game winning hits that Ortiz has this year has made him a darling in the media. I'm just saying there's no way the media votes anyone but him as the MVP of the Sox.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #487
Five-ofan
Guru

Oh i understand and I will be kind of shocked if he doesnt win it, I meant mine as a who i would vote for not who i predict will win. I predict pujols and Ortiz but I think it should be Beltran and Mauer.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #488
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

nice to see Lee have a great game....

DRo has been insane all season...is he for real or a one year wonder?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #489
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
nice to see Lee have a great game....

DRo has been insane all season...is he for real or a one year wonder?
Smarter people than I have no idea...

http://www.lonestarball.com/story/2006/8/9/22513/56284

That's a really great Ranger blog, btw. I'm sure several people around here read it regularly, as I do.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #490
Five-ofan
Guru

His swing looks like he should be able to hit really well and this is his first chance to really play everyday but be weary of the 30 year old career year that far surpasses anything the guy has ever done before. I personally think that he can hit though not quite as well as he has this year. I think he will round back down to a 470 slugging and a 340 obp next year instead of 500 and 370. Still very solid numbers though.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #491
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
His swing looks like he should be able to hit really well and this is his first chance to really play everyday but be weary of the 30 year old career year that far surpasses anything the guy has ever done before. I personally think that he can hit though not quite as well as he has this year. I think he will round back down to a 470 slugging and a 340 obp next year instead of 500 and 370. Still very solid numbers though.
Atlanta gave him the chance to player everday a few years back, and he was flat terrible.

I dunno what to think about him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #492
Five-ofan
Guru

He still didnt play everyday then, he played a good bit but not everyday. His ABs this year are already equal to his ABs in that season. He was a pretty highly regarded prospect at one time. I am tired of people talking about his swing and its similarities to MYs though. Other than the toe tap they actually have quite different swings.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #493
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you want to give GMJ the MVP?
It might be time to start giving this serious consideration.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #494
Five-ofan
Guru

Of the rangers GMJ has been the mvp no question but of the AL?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #495
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Just wanted to post this, found it interesting:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...nd-kevin-mench

Only time will tell if Mench's trend after his big year continues. I tend to think he will improve, in much the same way Lee did at about the same point in his career.

I must say, I have been rather shocked at Lee's defense. He looks awful out there. I did not remember him being that bad defensively.

And for what it's worth, Cordero is 4-0 in save situations for Mil, and appears to be their permanent closer.

Still like the trade, although I'm ready to flip Lee for prospects. Just wanted to share something I found interesting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-10-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #496
Five-ofan
Guru

I think that is what is called overstatting. if anything, Lee is a better baserunner than mench. He is HORRIBLE in left though. Mench is average at best out there though. Cruz cant be dismissed as insignifigant in this trade though.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #497
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I think that is what is called overstatting. if anything, Lee is a better baserunner than mench. He is HORRIBLE in left though. Mench is average at best out there though. Cruz cant be dismissed as insignifigant in this trade though.
I'm not sure how they determine the baserunning thing. I'd like to know those stats. Neither strikes me as a bad decision maker on the basepaths.

I can not possibly overstate how shocked I've been at Lee's defense. He's flat out awful. He looks like he can't bend. And he has to start slowing down way before he gets to the ball when it's rolling in the corner. It makes me want to resign him even less than I already did.

I don't think they're discounting the Cruz factor, I'm certainly not, it was just a basic comparison of the two players.

And you're not seriously accusing someone of overstatting, Mr. Defensive +/- stats?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #498
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Great win tonight. Eaton is really pitching well. I would like to see him pitch into the 7th and 8th innings, (especially when he isn't walking people like he wasn't tonight), but I will take 6 innings and 2 runs with only 4 hits.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #499
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

FSN announcers mentioned he was probably pulled at 77 pitches because it's only his 4th start this year.
He is looking good, let's hope he stays strong down the stretch.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #500
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I was there tonight, in the plush company seats. Very nice.

I didn't quite understand Eaton getting pulled at 77 pitches. Even weirder was the fact that he went out and warmed up for the 7th as normal, then when he was done Buck went out and pulled him. He looked really surprised.

Eaton had already pitched over 100 innings the start before last. However, Eaton HAD given up some pretty loud outs the innning before. Plus once I saw C.J. Wilson was coming in, I was fine with it. C.J. has been great lately.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #501
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Any change of CJ starting again for us in the future or is he definitely only a bullpen guy from here on?

I ask becasue he was hideous last year but really seems to have figured something out this year.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #502
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Any change of CJ starting again for us in the future or is he definitely only a bullpen guy from here on?

I ask becasue he was hideous last year but really seems to have figured something out this year.
I bet they plan to let him compete for a spot next year. He's been absolutely filthy since he was recalled this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #503
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I bet they plan to let him compete for a spot next year. He's been absolutely filthy since he was recalled this year.
he got the goods if he can just keeps his head right with ball....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #504
sike
The Preacha

young and lee coming around at the right time...hope this spells tons of wins for the good guys...

Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #505
Five-ofan
Guru

Has anyone else noticed Tex becoming bobby abreu with power recently? His good abs are piling up at an amazing rate. The good thing is that hes getting the OBP AND a good average. That is important. There is a reason that even though Adam Dunn hits 40 homers he struggles to get 100 rbis.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #506
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed Tex becoming bobby abreu with power recently? His good abs are piling up at an amazing rate. The good thing is that hes getting the OBP AND a good average. That is important. There is a reason that even though Adam Dunn hits 40 homers he struggles to get 100 rbis.
I have. It's not helping my fantasy team

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #507
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The bats are getting hot boys... The bats are getting hot!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #508
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

DeRosa is just ridiculous...I can't believe the level he's hitting at right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-12-2006, 01:11 AM   #509
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

DeRosa has been crazy hot, I'm glad I recently picked him up. Another great game tonight.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #510
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh i understand and I will be kind of shocked if he doesnt win it, I meant mine as a who i would vote for not who i predict will win. I predict pujols and Ortiz but I think it should be Beltran and Mauer.
I also think it will be Pujols and Ortiz. What about Ryan Howard for MVP? He's been a beast this year. Hitting just under .300 and leading the NL in homers and RBI's.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #511
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I almost cut DeRosa from my fantasy team tonight. In the end I didn't have the heart to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
In fantasy sports you gotta use your head, and not your heart my friend
Well, sometimes when you use your heart instead of your head, your boy comes through in a big way Good call chummy.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #512
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Let it be known that DeRosa has been in my lineup all this time!
Old 08-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #513
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Let it be known that DeRosa has been in my lineup all this time!
Yep, and he's about the only guy that's keeping your offense alive :P

Old 08-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #514
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Yep, and he's about the only guy that's keeping your offense alive :P
With him, who needs anyone else??
Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #515
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
With him, who needs anyone else??
For now you're fine, but when he starts to cool off, you'll be in some trouble.

I'm still thinking you should do that Morneau trade, he's been great.

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 08-12-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #516
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I also think it will be Pujols and Ortiz. What about Ryan Howard for MVP? He's been a beast this year. Hitting just under .300 and leading the NL in homers and RBI's.
I think beltran has been the pretty clear mvp of the nl. He plays an important position and he plays it extremely well. He has also hit like a beast. I have always thought he was overrated but this year he has finally become what was expected of him. Not to mention he is on the best team in the nl. As for howard, he is bad defender at a non important position.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #517
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think beltran has been the pretty clear mvp of the nl. He plays an important position and he plays it extremely well. He has also hit like a beast. I have always thought he was overrated but this year he has finally become what was expected of him. Not to mention he is on the best team in the nl. As for howard, he is bad defender at a non important position.
Defense and position doesn't really come into the discussion unless it's really really close, and it should have more effect, but it doesn't. It's mostly about hitting stats, and so Howard has a legit case for MVP imo.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #518
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Defense and position doesn't really come into the discussion unless it's really really close, and it should have more effect, but it doesn't. It's mostly about hitting stats, and so Howard has a legit case for MVP imo.
There's no way someone as young as Howard wins the MVP on a below average team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #519
Five-ofan
Guru

Beltran has been more valuable offensively anyway but if it was close it goes to the better record and a MUCH more important position.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #520
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
There's no way someone as young as Howard wins the MVP on a below average team.
Yeah, I guess you're right, but he has been solid this year.