Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Worse defensively? Are you massively undervaluing Sexton or massively overvaluing Brunson?

Worse spot up? In Sexton?s last healthy season, the two were comparable.

Durable? It?s hard to say. Brunson just missed 14 games with a shoulder. Sexton was blitzed with the meniscus. History says he?ll recovery and be himself again, but yes, injuries are a concern.
Sexton is average to slightly below average defensively, with perimeter defense seemingly being his weakness. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence, especially when he had Mobley and Allen manning the paint to where he theoretically should have been better outside. I'm not in love with the idea of giving up assets for Sexton.

Plus, the Mavs FO has been quoted as saying they aren't intent on adding to the guard room immediately, which reinforces the idea they know they're getting Dragic and can role with that. Hidden bonus is potentially getting Hardy more run and experience.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Sexton is average to slightly below average defensively, with perimeter defense seemingly being his weakness. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence, especially when he had Mobley and Allen manning the paint to where he theoretically should have been better outside. I'm not in love with the idea of giving up assets for Sexton.

Plus, the Mavs FO has been quoted as saying they aren't intent on adding to the guard room immediately, which reinforces the idea they know they're getting Dragic and can role with that. Hidden bonus is potentially getting Hardy more run and experience.
I don?t think you can do confidently brush off his defense. Has he had lapses? Absolutely. Has Brunson also had lapses? Yes. Are both guys improving? Yes? Do defensive stats really mean much? Not really. Defensive rating is a measure of five-man squad and coaching. Mavs with Brunson we?re a top 5-10 defense in the league and yet the defensive ratings of the two are near identical.

I?d say defensively (and offensively) Brunson and Sexton are a push at best. Saying Brunson at 6?0? is a clear victor defensively seems ridiculous to me.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I don?t think you can do confidently brush off his defense. Has he had lapses? Absolutely. Has Brunson also had lapses? Yes. Are both guys improving? Yes? Do defensive stats really mean much? Not really. Defensive rating is a measure of five-man squad and coaching. Mavs with Brunson we?re a top 5-10 defense in the league and yet the defensive ratings of the two are near identical.

I?d say defensively (and offensively) Brunson and Sexton are a push at best. Saying Brunson at 6?0? is a clear victor defensively seems ridiculous to me.
Oh I wasn?t declaring that Brunson was the better defender, just that it wouldn?t really push the needle for me. I?d wager he?d be slightly better than Brunson, but then again not worth the cost in contract or assets. Not in love with Sexton?s game.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote