Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Young 'impressive' at workout for NFL scouts

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

AUSTIN – Quarterback Vince Young had an “impressive” workout for the NFL scouts on Wednesday at the University of Texas.

Young, who is bypassing his senior season with the Longhorns to enter the draft, measured 6-foot-4½ inches and weighed 228 pounds. He ran one 40-yard dash in a hand-held 4.58 seconds.

The Longhorns’ Pro Day attracted 130 scouts and 85 media members.

Young threw 55 passes with five incomplete and one drop. He used four wide receivers. They were Texas teammates David Thomas, Ahmard Hall, Brian Carter and former high school teammate and Idaho player Daniel Smith. Young caught one pass on a trick play.

“I feel like I did a good job. I stayed relaxed, poised and had fun,” Young said. “You hear so much that 'Vince is not working out. Vince is not doing this and that.' I wanted to go out and show them that I am working out.”

The Houston Texans, who have the No. 1 overall pick in April’s draft, sent 10 representatives, including head coach Gary Kubiak. The Tennessee Titans, who pick third overall, sent seven representatives.

“I love this guy. He’s got a big arm,” Kubiak said. “He was very impressive.”

Kubiak said he will attend only two college pro days. The other will be at Southern Cal on April 2.

Other notables attending the workouts were Miami coach Nick Saban, Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy and Cowboys quarterback coach Chris Palmer.

Another coach, Tennessee’s Jeff Fisher, is scheduled to fly to Austin later tonight and visit with Young.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

/drool
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Like I said earlier in the year...Matt Jones is faster. Now it's just been proven.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It was proven by a hand held timed 40?
You're easy to please.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

ESPN is ragging on VY for running a "slow" 4.58 40 yard and said he has a "series of issues" which might indicate a problem that would drop him to the Ravens in the draft.

I don't get it. I think the test score was hilarious, but all the kid has done is perform and win. When did 4.58 become a sucky 40 time? I cannot imagine a scenario where he falls to the Ravens.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
It was proven by a hand held timed 40?
You're easy to please.
Yeah...since Matt Jones handheld at the official combine was a 4.38 or so. Handhelds are always faster than laser timed. The fact that MJ's laser timed 40 was still THAT much faster even further illustrates my point.

And no, I'm not saying anything about the calibre of football player each is...I just remember getting in an argument with someone who said that MJ and VY were probably the same speed....when in fact, it's not even that close.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

That's idiotic. Handheld times are in no way always faster than laser timed...

I could care less which is faster..just saying that you're easily pleased.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-23-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
ESPN is ragging on VY for running a "slow" 4.58 40 yard and said he has a "series of issues" which might indicate a problem that would drop him to the Ravens in the draft.

I don't get it. I think the test score was hilarious, but all the kid has done is perform and win. When did 4.58 become a sucky 40 time? I cannot imagine a scenario where he falls to the Ravens.
Everything that I've heard seems to indicate that he was rather impressive at his workout.....
Old 03-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Like I said earlier in the year...Matt Jones is faster. Now it's just been proven.
If we're talking football speed I'd still say that the difference, if any, is negligible. How many times have you watched Vince Young and said "if only he had a little more speed he could have made that play"?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

murph- that is why (plus I've seen VY up close) I think it is ridiculous. ESPN is really slipping these days in their analyses.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 AM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

that's always the problem with the NFL and these combines/workouts. They put so much emphasis on things like 40 times and wonderlic test scores that they often overlook guys that can just flat out play football.

same can be said for the NBA and its love of "long" players with "potential".
Old 03-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'm in shock that there is actually positive article concerning Young. Goodness.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I will be laughing internally for whatever teams pass him up. I just don't want the stinking 49'ers, the stinking Eagles, and GOD forbid not the redskins to get him. Because then it would be hard to enjoy watching him do his thing for a Professional team.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
that's always the problem with the NFL and these combines/workouts. They put so much emphasis on things like 40 times and wonderlic test scores that they often overlook guys that can just flat out play football.

same can be said for the NBA and its love of "long" players with "potential".
Yes, but what about the long sought after "TUP". Surely this is a measurable quantity, at least for Hubie Brown, no?

Ok, thread hijacking over. Carry on...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's idiotic. Handheld times are in no way always faster than laser timed...

I could care less which is faster..just saying that you're easily pleased.
It has nothing to do with being pleased. I'm stating a fact.

And please...find me one time where a handheld at the combine was slower than the laser.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

To say that one is faster than the other is just idiotic. Handheld is 100% completely subject to the person timing. Either they're accurate or they are not. They can deviate either way..slow or fast. To say anything contrary to that is nothing more than idiotic to say the least.

an article from Rivals.com
http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=406971

Jeremy Crabtree
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The fastest players in the country show up every year at the Miami NIKE Training Camp. So what better place to unveil a revolutionary way to time players in the 40-yard dash? That's what happened at Sunday's NIKE Camp at the University of Miami when SPARQ Timing was put to the test and plenty of players passed with blazing fast and accurate times.

Junior-to-be running back Armando Allen (5-9, 181) of Hialeah Miami Lakes had the fastest time of the camp with a 4.31 time.
"The 40-yard dash has been around for almost 40 years and the way that it's been timed has never been changed or made football friendly," Student Sports president Andy Bark said. "SPARQ came to us and said the way they are timed are antiquated and it's never changed. The NFL Combine uses electronic timing, but these guys are not trained to run like track athletes.

"They're football players, and they're taught to do everything on movement. So SPARQ set out and developed a way to do it right. The NIKE Camps are No. 1 in the country in testing and training high school football players, and we wanted to get this thing right."

The SPARQ Timing system begins at the start of the 40-yard dash line where a timer has an electronic joystick that signals the initiation of the sprint on the player's movement. The timer at the start of the 40 is a new set up, instead of having timers at the event of the line trying to squint and see if the player has moved yet. The players' times are then recorded when they cross a laser beam at the end of the 40 yards.

"The laser finish, you can't question it," Bark said. "There is no cheating, no lack of authenticity. The laser works for eye surgery, and we think it's going to work for the 40-yard dash."

The laser ending eliminates any potential for a timing error.

"It takes away that blur zone," Bark said. "If you've ever time a 40 at an event like this and you often will have five guys run by you. You have to react and say, 'which guy was mine?' That's eliminated in this SPARQ Timing and created the most accurate testing option in this industry."

The more accurate SPARQ Timing didn't change the fact that Miami is home to the fastest players in the nation. Some argue that electronic timing is slower, but tell that to the 10 players that finished with 4.44-second times or fastest.

Junior-to-be running back Armando Allen (5-9, 181) of Hialeah Miami Lakes had the fastest time of the camp with a 4.31 time. He was followed by Tampa Hillsborough quarterback Jarred Fayson, who was a hair behind at 4.32 seconds. DeMarcus Roberson (5-10 ½, 170) of Sunrise (Fla.) Piper was next at 4.34, followed by Kevin Holloway of Hollywood (Fla.) Parkway Academy at 4.35 and Ricky Neaves of Cooper City, Fla., at 4.37.
Three players dueled for the camp's top SPARQ Rating as Fayson, Hollyway and Neaves all finished with just over 91 in the SPARQ Rating. In the end, Fayson took home the day's top SPARQ Rating at 91.63 on the strength of a 4.32 40, a 4.01 shuttle and a 35.9-inch vertical jump. Fayson also bench-pressed 185 pounds 17 times. Holloway and Neaves finished just behind Fayson, at 91.37 and 91.26 respectively.

Defensive tackle Trevis Hodges of Sanford (Fla.) Seminole had the top bench press when he pushed up 46 repetitions. Holloway had the top vertical at 37.8 inches. Receiver Kenbriel Thompkins of Miami Northwestern had the top shuttle time of 3.88 seconds

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-23-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

The article above definitely doesn't do much for your argument Ocelot.... The fact is...handheld times are definitively subject to user error. There's no way to argue that. It can be an error in either direction..fast or slow.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

He was also clocked at 4.49 and anything between that and 4.58. I find it funny that only his slowest timing was mentioned and on espnews they said texas has a fast track when it is slower than the combine track in indy. If we go by just his slowest 40 time matt jones was clocked at a 4.50 as his slowest time last year plus he ran 3 of them and anyone who has ever run a 40 for time knows that your second and usually 3rd 40 times are faster than your first 40 times. Matt jones is a freak. Im not trying to argue whether either of them are freaks but vince young is a better football player.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

He's awful..he can't throw...he's not intelligent enough...he's not fast enough... People will be losing their jobs if they sign him...run away fast as you can...

Get him Jerry!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

great plan dude. we should start a VY bashing website and cause the public opinion of him to go down so that the 'Boys can draft him

Last edited by Ninkobei; 03-23-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

All I have to say to Ocelot is scoring f'ing board. Why in the hell would you want to f' with me? Be prepared to get f'd if you question one of my opinions with nothing to back it up...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

On Sportscenter last night they were amazed by how good Vince did. They talked about how he only had 5 incompletions and 2 of them were drops. That he was getting the ball up high and not underthrowing receivers consistently. And on the 40 time they said he wasn't even supposed to run but ran anyways since his teammates were thus showing his competitive fire. They also praised him for running a 4.49 t o 4.58 right after pulling off his sweats. But they did end the segment by quoting a scout who said you couldn't compare VY's and Cutlers pro days.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #23
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
On Sportscenter last night they were amazed by how good Vince did. They talked about how he only had 5 incompletions and 2 of them were drops. That he was getting the ball up high and not underthrowing receivers consistently. And on the 40 time they said he wasn't even supposed to run but ran anyways since his teammates were thus showing his competitive fire. They also praised him for running a 4.49 t o 4.58 right after pulling off his sweats. But they did end the segment by quoting a scout who said you couldn't compare VY's and Cutlers pro days.
couldn't compare as in cutler was much better or just different or what?
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #24
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Why is so much emphasis placed on his 40 time? It's very rare in the NFL that a quarterback gets the chance to sprint 40 yards uncontested. With a guy like Vince Young, his agility is more important than his speed. Still, 4.5 is GREAT for a quarterback, and the guy can flat-out play football. He thrives under pressure and has an incredible arm. I see him having much success at the next level.

Last edited by mavsman55; 03-23-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: because i can't type
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #25
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay
couldn't compare as in cutler was much better or just different or what?
The scout meant Vince didn't throw any difficult throws (although some disagreed) and that Cutler was near perfect in a tough weather situation.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
All I have to say to Ocelot is scoring f'ing board. Why in the hell would you want to f' with me? Be prepared to get f'd if you question one of my opinions with nothing to back it up...
Score board? SCORE BOARD? How's two out of the last three sound to you Mr. UNT? Be a real man and root for the school you actually attended.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Score board? SCORE BOARD? How's two out of the last three sound to you Mr. UNT? Be a real man and root for the school you actually attended.
How would you know which schools I attended? Currently, I'm attending my 4th and 5th schools. Just because one of my degrees came from UNT does not mean that it is the only school in which I attended. Next semester, I will be attending my 6th. So, basically, shut the hell up.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How would you know which schools I attended? Currently, I'm attending my 4th and 5th schools. Just because one of my degrees came from UNT does not mean that it is the only school in which I attended. Next semester, I will be attending my 6th. So, basically, shut the hell up.
Dude, why on earth do you keep failing out of that many colleges? Surely you are approaching some sort of record!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #29
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Dude, why on earth do you keep failing out of that many colleges? Surely you are approaching some sort of record!
lol.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Well, let's just say that I'll have my 6th college degree in 4 years.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well I could take 12 more classes and pick up 3 additional degrees. It is nice when they all overlap classes eh Murph?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Well, unfortunately, that doesn't really work for me. I suppose my BBA keeps me from having to take a ton of courses for the MBA that I'm working on...Obviously, I would have to take alot more courses without the previous BBA...But, what you're talking about really doesn't apply much for me. My 6 degrees will come with around 300 hours of college credit.
...well, around 290.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-24-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #33
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

That's a lot of college dude... A lot! Touche!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, unfortunately, that doesn't really work for me. I suppose my BBA keeps me from having to take a ton of courses for the MBA that I'm working on...Obviously, I would have to take alot more courses without the previous BBA...But, what you're talking about really doesn't apply much for me. My 6 degrees will come with around 300 hours of college credit.
...well, around 290.
How many hours are required for a nursing degree?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Titans interview QB Young
Reese gives his approval to quarterback's advisers

By PAUL KUHARSKY
Staff Writer

Published: Friday, 03/24/06
AUSTIN, Texas — The Titans can now say they know Vince Young.

After watching some film with the quarterback and Longhorns offensive coordinator Greg Davis on Wednesday evening, the team's seven-person entourage enjoyed a Mexican dinner with Young, his uncle and his agent.

Yesterday, Jeff Fisher had breakfast with Young before a film work session at Texas' football office. Then Young went through a private workout at the team's practice bubble with Titans receivers Courtney Roby, Bobby Wade and Sloan Thomas catching passes.

After he reportedly scored a 6 on his first try at the Wonderlic — a 12-minute, 50-question test administered at the combine — some questioned Young's preparation and decision-making,

But Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said after visiting with Young and the two men he's chosen to guide him — his uncle Keith Young and his inexperienced agent Major Adams — he doesn't have any major questions.

And it's Reese who will have the ultimate say if the Titans decide to draft Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler with the No. 3 pick in the April 29-30 draft.

"I don't think we feel uncomfortable at all about that, I think that was just an example of how these things get blown out of proportion," Reese said. "We met with his agent and with his uncle for a long time.

"They are exceptional people and I can understand why Vince chose them. That probably wasn't as hard a decision as a lot of people want to make it out to be."

Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow already knew Leinart from their time together with the Trojans. He already knew Vanderbilt's Cutler from coaching him at the Senior Bowl and spending a recent day with him at team headquarters.

Now he finally has a feel for Young and will be able to make some comparisons as the Titans get closer to the draft.

"That was the first time I've even seen Vince in person because I missed him at the combine," Chow said after Wednesday's Pro Day workout. "Whatever fears people had about him, he seems like a guy people had a lot of questions about, I think he got a lot of them answered.

"I think he did a nice job. I think he did a lot to help himself in the draft."

Fisher said he too was pleased with what he saw and heard from Young during two days in Austin.

"I was very impressed with every phase, with his personality, his character, his competitiveness, his athletic ability," Fisher said.

A day after Young looked solid and drew some rave reviews for completing 50 of 55 passes in a Pro Day workout, Tennessee wanted to see Young perform in some less orchestrated situations.

"He did well with the different throws, the sprint outs, the pressure flushes, the scrambles and the different drops, the three-step, the five-step and the full drop," Fisher said. "I thought he did a nice job in each one of those situations."

Fisher said the three Titans receivers helped by bringing a great deal of energy to the workout.

Said Roby: "Basically we just ran the route tree and everything. Vince looked very comfortable. He has a strong arm. He has all of it. He's a very personable guy. He did well."

The Titans have plans to spend the same sort of time with Leinart on April 3, the day after the Trojans hold their Pro Day on campus.

And while they've already visited extensively with Cutler, odds are they will invite him back in to throw to the same trio of receivers as they continue to compare the three for the draft. •
Old 03-25-2006, 03:18 AM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
My wife didn't even need one. She just caught right on. I'm sure you will do just fine Murph!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:46 AM   #37
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

dangit vince, you're supposed to do poorly so you will fall to the 'boys in the draft. i'm very disappointed. not ashamed, but disapointed.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'm not sure, Chum. But if you're interested, I hear that Texas Woman's University has a good program.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #39
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

More very,very intelligent stuff... I encourage all GMs to save your asses!! Don't take a chance on Young...are you kidding, he probably cannot pass a drivers license test, how can he be a quarterback!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5395466

Quote:
This is the naked truth: General managers and scouts are petrified of their own shadows. They're afraid to run against the grain of the pack. So if four or five of buddies say they wouldn't touch the Texas quarterback in the top half dozen picks of the draft, your average GM or scout will embrace the copout in the name of self-preservation.

Pssstttt Jerry....you just read the headline will ya'.

Quote:
Just take him
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:59 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I read back over this thread and I happen to be a UT fan which is the majority on this but its funny that people get mad at Ocelot for defending/praising Matt Jones. He is an arkansas guy. We all defend/praise vince so why wouldnt we expect someone from another school to do that for his most recent famous football star? I know im gonna defend vince against jones if we have a debate and i would expect the arkansas guy that ocelot is to take jones at the very least as far as athletecism considering the freak of nature that jones is. Besides, we need someone who isnt as pro vince young as we are to balance things out. I mean wouldnt this thread be boring with all of us just saying take vince he is awesome. Followed by yes i agree he is amazing. That would get old and die really fast.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote