endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default photo of OBVIOUS hold in Capital One Bowl, for you dirno

holding! block in the back!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: photo of OBVIOUS hold in Capital One Bowl, for you dirno

That is an obvious hold, but if I remember the play (it's been two or three weeks now), that guy wasn't in position to make the tackle anyway.

As far as the block in the back, that's the best shot I've seen. I guess technically it is, but even the photo shows that it's borderline. You see blocks like that from WR's all the time and the call is rarely, if ever, made.

On an unrelated note, there are rumors that Chizik was in Austin interviewing with Mack Brown this week. Any thoughts from the Auburn camp that he could leave?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:photo of OBVIOUS hold in Capital One Bowl, for you dirno

yeah, it looks like a hold, but i'm with dirno on this one - i don't remember either of those players being in position to make the tackle. i think it would've been really awful for the refs to call such a thing with no time on the clock. fact was, the iowa wr was wide open and behind the d when the incidents occurred. besides, at this point, who cares anymore...

yeah chizik was in austin yesterday interviewing for the DC position. if he doesn't get offered the jags DC position i wouldn't be surprised to see him take the UT one. with the returners for UT he'd be able to get that D in the top 10 and keep his stock high - hoping to jump to the nfl or col.head coach the following year.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

also, this is a picture, a snapshot in time. for the hold above, did the iowa player yank on the lsu player? or continue to grab him? or is that even a grab? or is he just touching him? who knows, we can't tell because a still image does not tell the whole story.

edit to add: I am originally from Louisiana, and would classify myself as an LSU fan.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
endtroducing
Golden Member

the DB was then PUSHED DOWN. illegal. that guy had the angle on the wide receiver.
regardless of where the hold occurs, it is illegal. if someone is held on a play, then it is a penalty. no matter what.

Chizik will not be the Jaguars DC...Van Gorder just left UGA for that job. I also don't think Chizik will go to Texas, because they're only offering him a 'co'-coordinator job...plus, Chizik has pulled in the best linebacker class in the nation this year and in Auburn history. he's in line for a fat paycheck from our AD.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
the DB was then PUSHED DOWN. illegal. that guy had the angle on the wide receiver.
regardless of where the hold occurs, it is illegal. if someone is held on a play, then it is a penalty. no matter what.
can i ask a question........why do you even care?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the DB was then PUSHED DOWN. illegal.
He wasn't pushed down. The receiver kind of shoved the d-back, and his momentum did the rest. Plus the picture shows that they were right next to each other...the only reason the block is close to the back is because the d-back is turned that way. Like I said, you'll never see that call...it has to be much more obvious than it was. I don't see how you can look at that picture and still say it's blatant.

Quote:
This is true, but penalties go unnoticed on every other play. As long as it doesn't have a direct effect on the play who cares?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
endtroducing
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
Quote:
can i ask a question........why do you even care?
I take pride in my conference.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Hey, Endtroducing. Is every undefeated team in the history of college football a national champion?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
AnMan21

that's so ridiculous - you cannot tell me you don't hope week in and week out that LSU loses. it's like saying the only time i hope OU or A&M lose is when we play them. no way in hell do i ever say that. when either of them lose, it makes my day that much better, regardless of what format it's in. root for them in their bowl games?!? hell no i didn't - i watched them both get dominated and i grinned ear-to-freakin'-ear! if you want your conference to have a good showing that's one thing, but if you're not willing to let it slide to see one of your most hated rivals having victory snatched out of their hands on the final play, then you're really missing out on what college sports are all about.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #11
endtroducing
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Hey, Endtroducing. Is every undefeated team in the history of college football a national champion?
hey, go fuck yourself. did I say that? nope.

and I don't pull for LSU...I pull for the SEC. I want our conference to win all our bowl games.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
hey, go fuck yourself. did I say that? nope.

and I don't pull for LSU...I pull for the SEC. I want our conference to win all our bowl games.
Ha ha ha. Just asking. No offense intended. Did you go to Auburn?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
endtroducing
Golden Member

I'm a junior here. I didn't mean to be vulgar, but I've heard so much shit from USC, OU, Big 12 and bammer assholes in the last two weeks than I can stand...I know a lot of the guys on the football team personally, and it pisses me off when people try to slight what they did.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #14
AnMan21

Quote:

Chizik will not be the Jaguars DC...Van Gorder just left UGA for that job. I also don't think Chizik will go to Texas, because they're only offering him a 'co'-coordinator job...plus, Chizik has pulled in the best linebacker class in the nation this year and in Auburn history. he's in line for a fat paycheck from our AD.
looks like Chizik took the job with UT. big hire for the 'Horns - with Wright, Huff, and Dibbles all returning, the D looks pretty mean. Harris seems willing to step in to DJs spot as leader. this unit should rank pretty high next year.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #15
endtroducing
Golden Member

blah, let him leave. our next DC will be just as good...Chizik wasn't the backbone of our D, either, that was Joe Whitt...Whitt may even get the promotion. it's been years since we haven't had a top 10 D, and bringing in one of the best defensive classes in AU history won't hurt.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
AnMan21

Quote:
blah, let him leave. our next DC will be just as good...Chizik wasn't the backbone of our D, either, that was Joe Whitt...Whitt may even get the promotion. it's been years since we haven't had a top 10 D, and bringing in one of the best defensive classes in AU history won't hurt.
from what i've read from auburn fans and sports writers, you seem to be one of the few that have that opinion. he turned an 81st ranked central florida D into the #16 ranked d in 2001. came in to auburn and moved them to 13th in 2002, 5th in 2003, and 1st in 2004. not to mention he was voted assistant coach of the year recently. i think you're downplaying his significance to the auburn organization.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, someone's a bit testy... i was referring to the hold on the right side of the image.

as for the block in the back, i have no problems with a ref letting a slight "hand to the back" go. the d-back's momentum carried him forward. there was a similar play in an nfl game this year... i believe the lions or bears. in fact, i think it was the bears cause i'm pretty sure it was RW McQuarters... anyway, he pushed a guy slightly in the back while his team was running back an interception return, but did not push the guy down, and he was praised for it by pretty much everyone on every show I watched. could it have been illegal? yes. is it worth calling? no.

as for the conference thing... i am a big time college hoops fan. been a duke fan for years, and i love the acc. i think its the best college basketball conference out there. but i don't root for UNC or G-Tech or the other teams, even in the postseason, unless it's against a team i don't like, or I just don't care.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he said testy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote