Default RE:What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh? General Movie Discussion

The Third Man and Leon....excellent

Have you seen Touch of Evil? Another great Orson film
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #82
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh? General Movie Discussion

I have wanted to see touch of evil....but never got around to it....and for someone's who's favorite film is Kane....that is pretty sad.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #83
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: mercury_rev

I'm currently taking a film noir class, and we were supposed to watch Touch of Evil before the semester was over, but now we might not have time. I was looking forward to it.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #84
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #85
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Blue Crush - one of my all-time favorite movies

I feel the need to see Laura Croft Tomb Raider again though - maybe tonight while I'm doing laundry and cleaning the apartment.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #86
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh? General Movie Discussion

just watched Primal Fear once again....pure genius.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #87
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I wanted to bump this, because a goal of mine this semester is to watch a film a day, and possibly start writing reviews of them on a site of my own. Don't know if I'll actually keep it up, what with school work needing to take priority.

Anyway, two nights ago was Kill Bill vol. 1.
Last night was (obviously) Kill Bill vol. 2.

I'm thinking tonight's choice will be Jean-Pierre Melville's "Le Samourai."

Old 01-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #88
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Ironically, the last movie i watched was Ocean's Twelve.

I have a collection of like 90 dvds, so i can never decide what to watch next. Although lately, i've had the urge to watch Batman Begins.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #89
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I had the displeasure of watching 'christmas with the kranks' the other day... good god, that has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. After I took it out of the DVD player, my dog tried even tried to pee on it. AWFUL.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #90
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I watched the Constant Gardener tonight. Very, very good.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #91
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Watched underworld last night in anticipation of underworld evolution this weekend. I have a bad feeling that underworld 2 will suck but I loved the first one so I will watch it anyway.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #92
sike
The Preacha

simpsons season 7

Last edited by sike; 01-18-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #93
sike
The Preacha

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury_rev

I have all three of those flicks....all greatness!

Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #94
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't watched a movie in a while, but I just got wedding crashers, so that's what'll be spinning on my DVD player.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #95
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Watched underworld last night in anticipation of underworld evolution this weekend. I have a bad feeling that underworld 2 will suck but I loved the first one so I will watch it anyway.
I really liked Underworld, too. Thought it had a good plot, fx and nice action scenes... don't know why critics seemed to hate it so much...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #96
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

The Wedding Crashers DVD has some good new scenes included (assuming you got the Uncorked Edition.) Unfortunately, the movie still devolves into a sappy Owen Wilson romantic comedy during the last half.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #97
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont pay attention to critics at all. I heart huckabees got great reviews and it is one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Underworld got terrible reviews and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #98
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Season 1 of Lost
Braveheart
Little House on the Prairie.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:50 PM   #99
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I dont pay attention to critics at all. I heart huckabees got great reviews and it is one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Underworld got terrible reviews and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just out of curiousity, what's your favorite movie?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 01-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #100
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Do we have a top five (or ten) movies thread? That might be pretty interesting.

Tonight's film was Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo," an amazing film that was later remade by Sergio Leone as "A Fistful of Dollars."

It's pretty amazing that the American Western was dying as a genre until a "Fistful," a movie by an Italian based on an Asian film, revitalized it.

The film comes off very much like a Western, and is carried by a very strong performance by Toshiro Mifune. I highly recommend this film.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 AM   #101
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Marge: Come on, Homie, you'll love Japan. You liked Rashomon.
Homer: That's not the way I remember it.

Tonight's film was Kurosawa's "Rashomon." I really enjoyed this film, and it is evident where movies like "The Usual Suspects" get their inspiration.

At it's core, this is a movie about truth. Can we really trust another person to tell the truth? As the saying goes, truth is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just leave this mini-review by giving it a Chaffy stamp of approval.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:01 AM   #102
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Chaff, I second your thumbs-up for "Rashomon." Pretty much any Kurosawa is damn fine filmmaking. "Ikiru" is my favorite of his works. And if you haven't already, check out "Throne of Blood" for another great Mifune performance.

This week's NetFlix brought two French classics: "Les Enfants du Paradis," which as a romantic saga puts "Gone with the Wind" to shame IMHO, and "Rififi," an outstanding noir that along with Kubrick's "The Killing" and "The Asphalt Jungle" must have inspired Tarantino for "Reservoir Dogs."
Old 01-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #103
Five-ofan
Guru

I dont really know what I would classify as my favorite movie. If you define it by movie I can watch the most without getting tired of it I guess it would be Anchorman but that isnt my favorite movie just one that doesnt get old. Umm I guess I would go with LOTR the two towers. Matrix is up there too. I LOVED gladiator until i had seen it about 600 times (exaggeration but still does it really need to be on tv every other day?) I am a huge scary movie fan too. I will do a top `10 of all time now that I think of a couple of others
1. LOTR (the trilogy in general but the 2 towers was my favorite)
2. Caddyshack (Utterly great movie)
3. Indiana Jones 1 and 3 (loved both of those the second one was way out there though. Grew up on these movies. Know its cheating but oh well.
4. Any Bond movie ( love everyone of them. Connery was the best followed by Brosnan and then roger moore, those 3 were great though)
5. Seven - just loved it
6. Presumed innocent - very intricate
7. Top Gun/all the right moves- My two favorite tom cruise movies
8. Dances with wolves- Dads favorite movie took me a couple of times to like it but it is a great movie. On a side note like the last samurai as well but will include it since similar plots.
9. Matrix - pure genius
10. All comic book movies - i love them so add them all in. The spider mans X2 and road to perdition are my favorite but i actually like all of them even hulk and daredevil.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #104
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that DeepDiscountDVD.com is currently having a sale on their Criterion Collection dics.

This is both wonderful and horrible.

I love Criterion, but even on sale, they are still pretty expensive. So, goodbye to some money for me for a while.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #105
Five-ofan
Guru

BTW underworld 2 is better than i thought it would be but not as good as the first. If you liked the first you will probably like the second though.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:04 AM   #106
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

College weekends being what they are, I was a bit thrown off of my desire to watch a film every day. I did end up seeing "Kicking and Screaming"on Saturday. Ugh.

Anyway, tonight's film was "Once Upon a Time In The West."

I'm a huge Leone fan, and I've only seen 2 of his films at this point. I am absolutely astonished by how perfect a film "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is. Well, "Once" didn't disappoint.

Henry Fonda delivers a chilling performance, and is probably a better villain than Lee Van Cleef's "Ugly." Charles Bronson doesn't quite live up to Clint Eastwood, but still portrays Harmonica wonderfully.

Leone films (in my limited experience) aren't so much about the acting and the story, but about the directing and the score. Scenes play out almost like paintings when in the hands of Leone. He is a master (and influenced heavily by Kurosawa) at building tension during battle scenes, making the preceding staredowns far more important than the actual action. Ennio Morricone does outstanding work on the score once again, adding to the tension of certain scenes, while bringing a bit of levity to others (particularly with Cheyenne's theme.)

Don't let the long running time of this film scare you off, because it's an extremely effective film. I am trying to expand the amount of Western films I've seen, but thus far, this is #2 on my list. (I bet you can guess #1.)

Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #107
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sergio Leone is a genius. Nice call.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #108
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BTW underworld 2 is better than i thought it would be but not as good as the first. If you liked the first you will probably like the second though.

Appreciate that report. I am absolutely DYING to see this movie.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #109
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

If you liked "Once Upon a Time in the West," check out Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America."
Old 01-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #110
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Once upon a time, Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn made a movie called Swingers. It was absolute genius, and Vince Vaughn was pure comedy. Then, Vaughn decided to try dramatic acting. It was, at best, ugly.

The movie that led him back to comedy was a new Favreau project, and tonight's movie, "Made." While not as good as "Swingers", "Made" is a fun film, and has Vaughn at his best. Manic, annoying, and generally hysterical. It's probably his third best performance, behind Swingers and Wedding Crashers.

Favreau plays a good straight man here, and P. Diddy and Peter Falk are acceptable in their roles.

Overall, it's a fun comedy that could probably show up in the "underrated movies" thread. By no means a classic, but has decent rewatchability.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #111
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

This afternoon, I watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

Nothing really to say about this movie that hasn't been said before. It's fantastic. Nicholson is amazing, you get to see young Devito, Lloyd and Schiavelli as mental patients, Nurse Ratched, Billy Bibbit, the Chief...I'm rambling, because it's all so great.

This is a must-watch film. That is all.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #112
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

1994 was a spectacular year in movies. Over the year, four films were released that ranged from great to almost perfect. Sadly, only three of these films were nominated for Best Picture, and frankly, the worst of the four I have in mind won. *

The movie that should have won was tonight's film, Pulp Fiction.

I hadn't really sat down and paid attention to this film in a while, and thus forgotten what a grand achievement of cinema it is. Using non-linear story telling techniques pioneered by Kurosawa and Kubrick, Tarantino tells the story of several different members of the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles.

Tarantino's reputation of resurrecting careers was made from this picture. Travolta had faded into obscurity before Pulp Fiction, but was reborn after its' release. Samuel L. Jackson gives the best performance of his career as Jules. Bruce Willis, Uma Thurman and Ving Rhames are all memorable, and Chris Walken's watch speech is up there with the greatest movie speechs of all time. (As are some of Jules' speechs, for that matter.)

I feel like I'm just repeating myself, but maybe it's just because I'm picking so many good films. If you haven't seen this movie, see it. If you have, watch it again. Greatness.

*In case anyone cares, here are the four movies I was referencing, in my order of ranking.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Hoop Dreams (not only failed to be nominated for Best Picture, but wasn't even nominated for Best Documentary. Complete Travesty)
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Forrest Gump (Best Picture winner)

Last edited by SaltwaterChaffy; 01-28-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:30 AM   #113
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Collateral (a.k.a. Heat II)
Robocop
Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #114
sike
The Preacha

sin city....Robert Rodriguez is a freak...dang.

Last edited by sike; 01-27-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #115
Nash13
Diamond Member

Sike, you scare me. Right before i opened this thread, i was going to say i am watching Sin City tonight. I can't wait for the 2nd one to come out.

~The Salesman
Old 01-28-2006, 02:20 AM   #116
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I'm a little drunk, so I don't want to write a mini-review tonight.

Therefore, the movie of the night is Super Troopers.

That is all.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:02 AM   #117
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

"The Great Dictator" great Chaplin movie. Hilarious.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #118
sike
The Preacha

Watching the CGI flick "Robots" today...the animation seems to be the best of any CG movie I've seen...

Old 01-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #119
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Stanley Kubrick's The Killing. Gritty film noir. Love the non-linear story telling, and Maurice's speeches in the chess club are pretty amazing (albeit hard to understand with his accent.)

If you like Tarantino, check this out for one of the main influences on films like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #120
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Finished Wedding Crashers last night, B...

Watched "Seducing Dr. Lewis" French comedy, sheesh I'm supposed to be boycotting the french..heck , that's similar to Doc Hollywood with Micheal J. Fox. Doc Hollywood is better. C+
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?