Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #81
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
shiner. is there any other beer?
After buying a two four of Shiner, I can't go back to High Life. There's just so much more taste. Maybe I'll see High Life again when my pocket wallet goes dry...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #82
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
Anyone know if any (preferably Fort Worth) places have any pumpkin ales on tap this time of year? Or even if you can buy a six pack anywhere. I've heard great things about Pumking and I really want to try it.
Your best bets will be the Ginger Man and the Flying Saucer. They rotate the selection regularly and have the most taps in Ft. Wizzy, as far as I know:

http://www.beerknurd.com/stores.php

http://ftworth.gingermanpub.com/
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #83
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Oktoberfests are great.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #84
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

still is pacifico
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #85
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
still is pacifico
Had a Pacifico in Cali for the first time.

Quality.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #86
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

they've started selling Yuengling here in nashville. great beer. I get it every time i'm up in Philly.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #87
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Anyone else (U2?) enjoying the perfection in brewing that is Sierra Nevada Celebration?

Mmmm, beer.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #88
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
they've started selling Yuengling here in nashville. great beer. I get it every time i'm up in Philly.
Yuengling is a darned good beer, and it was once the principal Pennsylvania competitor and rival to one of my favorite beers, the excellent Stegmaier Gold Medal Lager, brewed in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania by some of my distant ancestors. Before prohibition Steg was one of the biggest breweries in the country, but like so many other great old American breweries it was never fully able to recover from that abysmal period, and is now a specialty beer that is quite difficult to find outside of the hills of North-Eastern Pennsylvania (sadly, much harder than Yuengling)...

Good stuff...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #89
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
Anyone else (U2?) enjoying the perfection in brewing that is Sierra Nevada Celebration?

Mmmm, beer.
I already have 3 6 packs.... waiting their turn for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #90
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
At least around these parts, Bud Light is not at all cheap. Granted, I have good options around me here in Dallas, but I can almost always find something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for cheaper than Bud Light. I find the mass producers to offer the absolute worst value in the marketplace.

If cheap is what you are after, Miller High Life will not disappoint you in comparison to Bud Light--and it will cost a whole lot less. Even something like Milwaukee's Best will perform near as well.
Funny, I normally drink Heineken or Guinness or Sam Adams. I really don't enjoy Bud or Bud Light. But I am trying to save some money, so I bought a couple of Miller High Lifes and I am drinking one now. Not too bad for so cheap! I have never had one that I have known of!

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #91
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I already have 3 6 packs.... waiting their turn for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.
I just bought a case of the stuff based on y'alls recommendations, and after drinking the first one, I'll say that SN Celebration Ale is some pretty gosh-darned good stuff ...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 11-09-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #92
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
I just bought a case of the stuff based on y'alls recommendations, and after drinking the first one, I'll say that SN Celebration Ale is some pretty gosh-darned good stuff ...
Where can you pick this up? Do I need to go to a liquor store?

I had some at a B.J.'s brew house last year, and really enjoyed it.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #93
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I am currently residing in wretched Houston, so I picked mine up at the giant Spec's mid-town store... If I were in Dallas looking for it though, I might try calling Mr. G's in Plano (they will almost certainly have it) or perhaps try the wonderfully priced Majestic in Addison...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #94
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am currently residing in wretched Houston, so I picked mine up at the giant Spec's mid-town store... If I were in Dallas looking for it though, I might try calling Mr. G's in Plano (they will almost certainly have it) or perhaps try the wonderfully priced Majestic in Addison...
Ah yes. The majestic. I work very near there.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #95
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Ah yes. The majestic. I work very near there.
The Majestic is one of the best kept secrets of the metroplex. I know Chumdawg has posted about this before, but their general specials on good beers and booze generally crush those of every other liquor store that I know of in the Dallas-Fort Worth area...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #96
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Majestic is one of the best kept secrets of the metroplex. I know Chumdawg has posted about this before, but their general specials on good beers and booze generally crush those of every other liquor store that I know of in the Dallas-Fort Worth area...
Indeed. If you are a beer lover, this place is like Nirvana. Not only do they have the best selection I have been able to find in Dallas, but they always have excellent specials. For example, the lovely Paulaner Salvator was going for $6.50 a couple weeks ago, down from $9.49. They seem to always have a twelve pack of something good for anywhere from ten bucks to thirteen or so. The Spaten Oktoberfest is presently something like $10.50, down from about $16. Newcastle Brown Ale is at the same price, if that is more to your taste.

Basically I just try whatever they have on sale, which broadens my range of experience at the same time it fattens my wallet. The best of both worlds!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #97
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

That Oktoberfest price has been running for a good long time at that wonderful store (over a year), but now Newcastle is running at $10.50 for a 12? Sh*****tttttttt....
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #98
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Where can you pick this up? Do I need to go to a liquor store?

I had some at a B.J.'s brew house last year, and really enjoyed it.
Well..... I know for certain that Goody Goody in Highland Village has a ton of it because I saw them unloading some not but an hour ago (maybe 2 hours?). It will go pretty quickly if it follows past years. I miss how it was years ago when it wasn't as well known and you could find it pretty easily.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #99
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Well..... I know for certain that Goody Goody in Highland Village has a ton of it because I saw them unloading some not but an hour ago (maybe 2 hours?). It will go pretty quickly if it follows past years. I miss how it was years ago when it wasn't as well known and you could find it pretty easily.
I use to live about a mile away from there on Valley Ridge, for my senior year at UNT. They used to know me there Seriously.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #100
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Free beer is awesome.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #101
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, I have not seen the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale on the shelves at my local haunts. I suppose I may not be looking hard enough. I have seen, and indeed imbibed, the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale. But now I will be on the lookout for this other fine brew.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #102
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I had Shiner Hefeweizen by mistake a couple of weeks ago.

It was tastey.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #103
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Oktoberfests are great.
quality beer

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #104
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Sadly, I have not seen the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale on the shelves at my local haunts. I suppose I may not be looking hard enough. I have seen, and indeed imbibed, the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale. But now I will be on the lookout for this other fine brew.
Well count me in on the Celebration ale band wagon

I found it at the Goody Goody in The Colony today.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #105
chumdawg
Guru

I better go grab some of this stuff today. Tell me, good fellows, a bit about this beer. What other beer is it like? I am assuming it is a seasonal brew, correct?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #106
untitled
Golden Member

It is a seasonal brew, and it's an American IPA. You mentioned that you had their Anniversary Ale, which isn't all that different, really. Celebration just seems a bit more flavorful - more hops and a slightly heavier malt profile. I'd say it's similar to St. Arnold's Elissa IPA and Victory's HopDevil.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #107
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

So a few years ago i went to this thing called "brewtopia", it was in new york city, and i guess they have these festivals annually or bi-annually.

Anyway, its basically a huge convention center type room with booths of people that brew their own beers, from big companies to little mom and pop shops.

They give you a little 4 oz shot glass to sample beers, believe me my 15 friends and I put a dent in some of those booths. 4 oz's at a time.

So i found this one booth that i absolutely loved. I don't remember the brand but it was a sour beer. I remember it being lighter in color, almost orange. And it was about 6% alcohol. I would drink it and afterwards a slight sour taste was left. It was great!

Anyone have any ideas?, or any thoughts? Anyone enjoy sour type beers?

Anyone been to or heard of brewtopia?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #108
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

lol, The Majestic is the only place I shop for liquor

unless I feel EXTRA cheap, then I go to Centennial (both of these in that strip in Addison) for their Centennial brand $6.50 bottle of rum (750mL)

when it comes to alcohol, I'm a quantity over quality kinda guy
Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #109
untitled
Golden Member

Quote:
So i found this one booth that i absolutely loved. I don't remember the brand but it was a sour beer. I remember it being lighter in color, almost orange. And it was about 6% alcohol. I would drink it and afterwards a slight sour taste was left. It was great!

Anyone have any ideas?, or any thoughts? Anyone enjoy sour type beers?
Sounds like a Belgian style to me - a lambic or gueuze, maybe a saison. Any of those styles sound familiar?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #110
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I remember it being lighter in color, almost orange. And it was about 6% alcohol. I would drink it and afterwards a slight sour taste was left. It was great!
At first I was thinking piss...but probably not.

Just kidding. I love a good sour taste, too.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #111
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sounds like a Belgian style to me - a lambic or gueuze, maybe a saison. Any of those styles sound familiar?

i just googled those terms and found a website about belgian beers. I honestly don't remember. I wish i did. I just remember those guys got tired of pouring me beers, cause i was the only guy hovering around their booth for like 45 minutes.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #112
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
At first I was thinking piss...but probably not.

Just kidding. I love a good sour taste, too.

You think you're pretty smart, don't you, Trebek? What with your Drago mustache and your greasy hair!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #113
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
At first I was thinking piss...because i like it.

Last edited by MavsX; 11-10-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #114
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Goody Goody > Majestic

IMO

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #115
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah, the Goody Goody in The Colony generally is cheaper than the ones in Addison. No tmuch for beer, but certainly for liquor. Every so often I need to pick up a large bottle of Finlandia (vodka) or something like that, and it's almost $10 cheaper in The Colony
Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #116
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
It is a seasonal brew, and it's an American IPA. You mentioned that you had their Anniversary Ale, which isn't all that different, really. Celebration just seems a bit more flavorful - more hops and a slightly heavier malt profile. I'd say it's similar to St. Arnold's Elissa IPA and Victory's HopDevil.
Thanks. I just knocked one of these babies down. It did feel a bit different from the Anniversary Ale to me. As you say, more flavor. Feels almost like a hugely hopped up lambic. Lots of berry flavors. Also extraordinarily carbonated. Did I mention hops?

Great brew. Thanks for the recommendation, guys. Luckily, I get to "celebrate" five more times!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah I'm having one now too. HOPPY

And heavy, and bitter. But it's nice.

I can see how this would be better on a cold night.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #118
MavsX
Diamond Member

i bought a 6 pack of sierra nevada pale ale tonight, due to the above conversations.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:38 AM   #119
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Goody Goody > Majestic

IMO
Selection wise? Probably. Price specials wise? Heck no... (that's assuming you mean the Goody Goody in Lewisville)
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #120
chumdawg
Guru

I would be very, very surprised if Goody Goody beat Majestic in terms of selection. Majestic has about thirty feet of cooler space on imports. You are lucky to find fifteen feet anywhere else. Even at the overly hyped Central Market, you don't get the same selection.

Of course, if you guys are talking spirits, I can't comment. I only buy the beer.

MavsX, good luck with the SN Pale Ale. Report back in an hour or so.