Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #1241
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
If he threw the ball the length of the court, how is it not a tech?
Prolly depends on how he threw it honestly. I've seen a ton of times players throw the ball out of frustration and get a tech. I've also seen players try and hit shots at the other end when a timeout is called and not get a tech. The ref explained that the ball by rule is to be handed to the nearest ref in that situation but that doesn't fly. Players do that stuff all the time so I would need to see the video and unless I missed a post I haven't seen it yet.

The first tech sounds questionable as well because the supposed hand gesture would be the difference between the tech being legit or not. The ref claims Luka essentially punched the air towards him it sounds like and so far I haven't seen anything that remotely looks like he did that. If all he did say was hell no then that's not a tech. If he did motion his hand towards the ref like that out of frustration that's an instant tech. Emphasis on towards the ref though... if he turned around and wasn't facing him then that should not fall under the umbrella the ref used in his explanation claiming it was a hostile act towards the ref.

And yeah it is super suspicious to me that RC has 4 techs this year and all 4 are this ref.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #1242
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Prolly depends on how he threw it honestly. I've seen a ton of times players throw the ball out of frustration and get a tech. I've also seen players try and hit shots at the other end when a timeout is called and not get a tech. The ref explained that the ball by rule is to be handed to the nearest ref in that situation but that doesn't fly. Players do that stuff all the time so I would need to see the video and unless I missed a post I haven't seen it yet.

The first tech sounds questionable as well because the supposed hand gesture would be the difference between the tech being legit or not. The ref claims Luka essentially punched the air towards him it sounds like and so far I haven't seen anything that remotely looks like he did that. If all he did say was hell no then that's not a tech. If he did motion his hand towards the ref like that out of frustration that's an instant tech. Emphasis on towards the ref though... if he turned around and wasn't facing him then that should not fall under the umbrella the ref used in his explanation claiming it was a hostile act towards the ref.

And yeah it is super suspicious to me that RC has 4 techs this year and all 4 are this ref.
I don't see how they justified the 1st tech.

If the tech limit isn't reset in the POs they need to strategize him getting the suspension out of the way by picking up the last one before the POs. I think we all feel more comfortable with him having 2 to use than 1. I'd like the strategy to be they win the tip off and he just punt the ball into an empty section in the stands

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-03-2021 at 04:02 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #1243
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

The technical foul count resets in the postseason:
Quote:
Technicals during the playoffs also follow a progressive system during the playoffs, which applies to both players and coaches. First and second technical fouls receive a $1,000 fine each, three and four are $1,500, five and six increase to a $2,000 fine each (with a warning letter sent when the violator reaches his 5th technical foul) while a seventh tech would result in a $2,500 fine plus one-game suspension. Each additional technical foul beyond that includes a $2,500 fine. Once a player or coach accumulates technicals in intervals of two from seven on up, each $2,500 fine also comes with a one-game suspension.
source: https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/10/pl...les-technicals
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #1244
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Luka literally gets slammed around and his defender bounces off him, netting him a TO/offensive foul. In a moment of passion he yells "oh hell no"-- not even at a ref but just passionately. Ref gives him a tech and claims he waved his fists at the ref, which never happened. No consequence for the ref totally lying. We can see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq7G_-R31yU

Second tech, Luka literally tosses the ball casually. Ref ejects him. Weakest ejection ever. Usually refs hold their whistle-- particularly when it's not even aimed at the ref and it means removing a player from the game. I've literally seen LeBron do this without a call and Luka gets ejected? It wreaks of preferential treatment, particularly when the ref in mention has all four of Rick's technicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n_ZK84sTAU

I'm sorry, but that ref is awful and the NBA should investigate. He's got multiple other controversial calls all over the league, including this game where he whistled DFS for a foul when it was a clean block and while play was "stopped" allowed the Hawks to get the rebound and put it back in.

https://www.mavs.com/cuban-vents-on-...ial-late-call/

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-03-2021 at 04:11 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #1245
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Second tech, Luka literally tosses the ball casually. Ref ejects him. Weakest ejection ever. Usually refs hold their whistle-- particularly when it's not even aimed at the ref and it means removing a player from the game. I've literally seen LeBron do this without a call and Luka gets ejected? It wreaks of preferential treatment, particularly when the ref in mention has all four of Rick's technicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n_ZK84sTAU
The closest ref is not even looking for the ball!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #1246
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Luka looks like he managed to gain weight even during the season, which is mighty impressive. He looked chubby in recent interviews. How the eff does this happen?
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #1247
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Luka looks like he managed to gain weight even during the season, which is mighty impressive. He looked chubby in recent interviews. How the eff does this happen?
Maybe he's on that Andre Drummond diet?

Old 05-08-2021, 02:25 AM   #1248
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Creatine?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #1249
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

He needs to either turn all that new weight gain into muscle or lose 12 lbs during the off season.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #1250
Unicorn

Unicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really nice

Quote:
Not only him, but also his girlfriend

Last edited by Unicorn; 05-09-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #1251
SMC0007
Guru

That Luka interview on the ticket was slightly awkward. It was cool that he did it though.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #1252
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie View Post
He needs to either turn all that new weight gain into muscle or lose 12 lbs during the off season.
Most of us didn't pay attention to this in January but JJ Barrea was sorta hinting to everyone back then that Luka in the future needs to take training seriously

For Luka Doncic to take the next step, his training will have to become as important as his game

J.J. Barea went on J.J. Redick’s podcast and brought up how Doncic is still a “kid” in regards to training. That will have to change.

By Josh Bowe@Boweman55 Jan 1, 2021, 9:00am CST

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1...t-get-in-shape
Luka Doncic is not in shape. That’s not a controversial statement, not a troll and also not an indictment on Doncic not able to become the star most think he can be. It’s just the truth.

Everyone who watches the games can see it — Doncic isn’t as crisp as he was in the bubble or for most of last season and he’s, well, just a bit puffier, to put it kindly. The Mavericks and Doncic have shooed those questions away, of course, because I doubt Rick Carlisle wants to call his best player chubby after a dispiriting effort. Oh wait.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #1253
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Only two players have had 3+ triple doubles in the playoffs before turning 23

Luka Doncic
Magic Johnson
Old 05-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #1254
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Luka Doncic
Magic Johnson
Old 05-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #1255
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Luka Doncic
Magic Johnson
WOW!

Also, Luka has three career playoff triple doubles, in only seven career playoff games.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #1256
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

[url]https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31522491/luka-doncic-making-another-leap-too-much-la-clippers-handle[/quote]

Anyone with espn+ wanna post this article?
Old 05-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #1257
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...lippers-handle

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-28-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #1258
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...lippers-handle

Though coach Tyronn Lue denied there was any tanking involved, the LA Clippers became one of the big stories of the final week of the regular season when losses to the Houston Rockets and Oklahoma City Thunder dropped them into fourth place in the Western Conference.

As a result, the Clippers set themselves up to avoid the Los Angeles Lakers until the conference finals, but in the process they also set up a first-round meeting with the Dallas Mavericks and Luka Doncic.

The Clippers defeated the Mavericks in the first round in the bubble a season ago, but life comes at you fast, especially in the NBA playoffs, and the Clippers find themselves down 2-0 heading into Game 3 on Friday in Dallas (9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN and the ESPN App).

Through two games, Doncic is averaging 35 points, 8.5 rebounds and 9.0 assists while shooting 50.9% from the floor and 41.7% from deep. Simply put, in a series in which the other team has a two-time Finals MVP and a five-time All-NBA selection, Doncic has been the best player on the floor.

While he's only 22 years old, he's taken another big step forward this year, his third in the NBA. If he and the Mavericks can hold serve this weekend, they will end the Clippers' season -- and serve notice to the rest of the league that Doncic's rapid improvements have made him a player you try to avoid in a postseason tournament.

Not only is he the most talented young offensive player in the world right now, but he's also proving he's a fierce competitor. That combination, along with his natural maturation process, is resulting in another Luka leap, and the numbers suggest Doncic is on a rapid road to greatness.

As a scorer, Doncic can do it all, but his signature shot is the unassisted 3-pointer. This season, he led the league in step-back 3s both attempted and made. As he gets better at knocking down these self-created 3s, he will become unstoppable, which will make his teams more difficult to beat.

Dallas was 42-30 overall in the regular season but 12-2 when Doncic made at least five 3-pointers -- something he's done in each of the first two games against the Clippers. We all know Doncic is one of the best driving playmakers in the game, but if he adds a reliable 3-pointer, opponents will be helpless. That's where this is headed.

In just his third season, Doncic is already among the best in the NBA at both creating his own looks from downtown and converting them. Consider these nuggets:

Doncic ranked second in the league in unassisted 3-pointers this season, behind only Damian Lillard.

Doncic ranked second in shooting percentage out of the 12 players who attempted at least 200 unassisted 3s this season, behind only Stephen Curry.

Yikes. Unassisted 3s have emerged as the calling card of many of today's most dangerous scorers. Seeing Doncic, at 22, at the top of these kinds of lists should strike fear in the rest of the league.

NBA playoffs on ESPN and ABC

Catch all the postseason action on ESPN, ABC and the ESPN App.

Friday, May 28
• Knicks at Hawks, 7 p.m. ET on ESPN
• Nets at Celtics, 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC
• Clippers at Mavs, 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN

Just to contextualize how young Doncic is, consider this: Doncic won't be the same as Paul George is right now until March 26, 2030. Get comfortable, folks, the Doncic era is just getting started.

As effective as Doncic has become as a 3-point shooter, his most impressive improvements as a jump shooter are actually occurring inside the arc.

Defying the trends of the day, Doncic is taking more midrange shots than he used to. Last season, barely 7% of his shots occurred between 10 feet and the 3-point line; this season, that figure has nearly tripled to over 21%. Just look at all the changes:

Kirk Goldsberry/ESPN
While midrange shots are generally frowned upon these days, players who can sink them at high rates can make them acceptable options, and it looks like Doncic is becoming one of those players.

Just one year ago, the scouting report on Doncic, was to let him shoot. No jump-shooter in the NBA combined volume and inefficiency like Doncic did last year. Out of 28 players who attempted at least 600 jumpers last season, he ranked dead last in efficiency, with an eFG% of just 44.0. He attempted 77 2-point jumpers and made just 28.6% of them.

This season, he took 272 jumpers inside the arc, an increase of nearly 200, and made 44.5% of them. Those huge increases in both volume and accuracy show that Doncic is emerging as one of the most versatile scorers in the league.

2021 NBA playoffs

After the NBA's new play-in tournament injected new excitement into the postseason, the first round of the playoffs is underway.

• Six big takeaways from playoffs' first week
• The floater is the 2-pointer of the future
• Lakers, Clippers going in opposite directions
• Playoff matchups, intel and predictions
• Good, bad and ugly from Game 1s

Out of 29 players who attempted at least 200 non-paint 2s this season, Doncic ranked seventh in efficiency. The players above him on this list include a who's who of superstar shooters -- Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Nikola Jokic and Chris Paul. All of these guys are special partly because their ability to punish opposing defenses in the midrange opens up other options.

Doncic's overall efficiency on jumpers in 2020-21 was better than that of players such as Jayson Tatum, Devin Booker, Julius Randle and Bradley Beal. Add in the fact that he's got one of the most accurate floaters in the league and Doncic's development is in great shape.

And jumpers are only part of his game.

According to Second Spectrum, Doncic is the most prolific driver in the league, averaging 20.9 drives per game. And out of the 25 most active drivers in the league, Doncic ranks second in efficiency. Only Lillard's drives yielded more points on average.

The Mavs' offense is designed to do one thing: create mismatches for Doncic, then let him work. As the Clippers are finding out, once he gets going downhill, he can do it all. Doncic can drive in either direction, read the defense and make the right play. He's big enough to overpower smaller defenders, like Patrick Beverley, and while Doncic is not the fastest guy in the world, he's still quick enough to beat bigger defenders. Still perhaps his best attribute as an attacker is his ability to change directions and decelerate.

The results speak for themselves. He can score in the paint (he ranked 18th in points in the paint this season), he can draw fouls (he ranked 11th in FTA per game) and he can pass (sixth in the NBA in assists per game).

But so far in this series, it's the driving layups and floaters near the rim that the Clippers can't stop. More than half of Doncic's 35 drives in the first two games have resulted in his own shots near the basket, and the Mavs are scoring a ridiculous 1.61 points per possession on those.

And here's the thing: If a team with George and Kawhi Leonard, who are among the world's best perimeter defenders, can't stop Doncic drives, then who can? In Game 2, Doncic scored 17 of his 39 points with either George or Leonard as his primary defender. Beverley, a three-time All-Defensive Team selection, hasn't been able to stop him.

NBA reputations are sketched out during the regular season, but ultimately they get carved into stone in the playoffs. If Doncic leads Dallas past this Clippers team in Round 1, he will have his first big postseason triumph. If he continues to develop the way he has, turning weaknesses in his game into strengths, this will be just the first of many.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #1259
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Though coach Tyronn Lue denied there was any tanking involved, the LA Clippers became one of the big stories of the final week of the regular season when losses to the Houston Rockets and Oklahoma City Thunder dropped them into fourth place in the Western Conference.

As a result, the Clippers set themselves up to avoid the Los Angeles Lakers until the conference finals, but in the process they also set up a first-round meeting with the Dallas Mavericks and Luka Doncic.

The Clippers defeated the Mavericks in the first round in the bubble a season ago, but life comes at you fast, especially in the NBA playoffs, and the Clippers find themselves down 2-0 heading into Game 3 on Friday in Dallas (9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN and the ESPN App).

Through two games, Doncic is averaging 35 points, 8.5 rebounds and 9.0 assists while shooting 50.9% from the floor and 41.7% from deep. Simply put, in a series in which the other team has a two-time Finals MVP and a five-time All-NBA selection, Doncic has been the best player on the floor.

While he's only 22 years old, he's taken another big step forward this year, his third in the NBA. If he and the Mavericks can hold serve this weekend, they will end the Clippers' season -- and serve notice to the rest of the league that Doncic's rapid improvements have made him a player you try to avoid in a postseason tournament.

Not only is he the most talented young offensive player in the world right now, but he's also proving he's a fierce competitor. That combination, along with his natural maturation process, is resulting in another Luka leap, and the numbers suggest Doncic is on a rapid road to greatness.

As a scorer, Doncic can do it all, but his signature shot is the unassisted 3-pointer. This season, he led the league in step-back 3s both attempted and made. As he gets better at knocking down these self-created 3s, he will become unstoppable, which will make his teams more difficult to beat.

Dallas was 42-30 overall in the regular season but 12-2 when Doncic made at least five 3-pointers -- something he's done in each of the first two games against the Clippers. We all know Doncic is one of the best driving playmakers in the game, but if he adds a reliable 3-pointer, opponents will be helpless. That's where this is headed.

In just his third season, Doncic is already among the best in the NBA at both creating his own looks from downtown and converting them. Consider these nuggets:

Doncic ranked second in the league in unassisted 3-pointers this season, behind only Damian Lillard.

Doncic ranked second in shooting percentage out of the 12 players who attempted at least 200 unassisted 3s this season, behind only Stephen Curry.

Yikes. Unassisted 3s have emerged as the calling card of many of today's most dangerous scorers. Seeing Doncic, at 22, at the top of these kinds of lists should strike fear in the rest of the league.

NBA playoffs on ESPN and ABC

Catch all the postseason action on ESPN, ABC and the ESPN App.

Friday, May 28
• Knicks at Hawks, 7 p.m. ET on ESPN
• Nets at Celtics, 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC
• Clippers at Mavs, 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN

Just to contextualize how young Doncic is, consider this: Doncic won't be the same as Paul George is right now until March 26, 2030. Get comfortable, folks, the Doncic era is just getting started.

As effective as Doncic has become as a 3-point shooter, his most impressive improvements as a jump shooter are actually occurring inside the arc.

Defying the trends of the day, Doncic is taking more midrange shots than he used to. Last season, barely 7% of his shots occurred between 10 feet and the 3-point line; this season, that figure has nearly tripled to over 21%. Just look at all the changes:

Kirk Goldsberry/ESPN
While midrange shots are generally frowned upon these days, players who can sink them at high rates can make them acceptable options, and it looks like Doncic is becoming one of those players.

Just one year ago, the scouting report on Doncic, was to let him shoot. No jump-shooter in the NBA combined volume and inefficiency like Doncic did last year. Out of 28 players who attempted at least 600 jumpers last season, he ranked dead last in efficiency, with an eFG% of just 44.0. He attempted 77 2-point jumpers and made just 28.6% of them.

This season, he took 272 jumpers inside the arc, an increase of nearly 200, and made 44.5% of them. Those huge increases in both volume and accuracy show that Doncic is emerging as one of the most versatile scorers in the league.

2021 NBA playoffs

After the NBA's new play-in tournament injected new excitement into the postseason, the first round of the playoffs is underway.

• Six big takeaways from playoffs' first week
• The floater is the 2-pointer of the future
• Lakers, Clippers going in opposite directions
• Playoff matchups, intel and predictions
• Good, bad and ugly from Game 1s

Out of 29 players who attempted at least 200 non-paint 2s this season, Doncic ranked seventh in efficiency. The players above him on this list include a who's who of superstar shooters -- Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Nikola Jokic and Chris Paul. All of these guys are special partly because their ability to punish opposing defenses in the midrange opens up other options.

Doncic's overall efficiency on jumpers in 2020-21 was better than that of players such as Jayson Tatum, Devin Booker, Julius Randle and Bradley Beal. Add in the fact that he's got one of the most accurate floaters in the league and Doncic's development is in great shape.

And jumpers are only part of his game.

According to Second Spectrum, Doncic is the most prolific driver in the league, averaging 20.9 drives per game. And out of the 25 most active drivers in the league, Doncic ranks second in efficiency. Only Lillard's drives yielded more points on average.

The Mavs' offense is designed to do one thing: create mismatches for Doncic, then let him work. As the Clippers are finding out, once he gets going downhill, he can do it all. Doncic can drive in either direction, read the defense and make the right play. He's big enough to overpower smaller defenders, like Patrick Beverley, and while Doncic is not the fastest guy in the world, he's still quick enough to beat bigger defenders. Still perhaps his best attribute as an attacker is his ability to change directions and decelerate.

The results speak for themselves. He can score in the paint (he ranked 18th in points in the paint this season), he can draw fouls (he ranked 11th in FTA per game) and he can pass (sixth in the NBA in assists per game).

But so far in this series, it's the driving layups and floaters near the rim that the Clippers can't stop. More than half of Doncic's 35 drives in the first two games have resulted in his own shots near the basket, and the Mavs are scoring a ridiculous 1.61 points per possession on those.

And here's the thing: If a team with George and Kawhi Leonard, who are among the world's best perimeter defenders, can't stop Doncic drives, then who can? In Game 2, Doncic scored 17 of his 39 points with either George or Leonard as his primary defender. Beverley, a three-time All-Defensive Team selection, hasn't been able to stop him.

NBA reputations are sketched out during the regular season, but ultimately they get carved into stone in the playoffs. If Doncic leads Dallas past this Clippers team in Round 1, he will have his first big postseason triumph. If he continues to develop the way he has, turning weaknesses in his game into strengths, this will be just the first of many.
+rep
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #1260
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Responsible for 31 of 37 made fg's.... That is absolutely absurd.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #1261
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Responsible for 31 of 37 made fg's.... That is absolutely absurd.
If you added the FTs to it, I'd bet it would stay the same. Luka is an absolute monster.

Off topic: I don't understand why an amazing pass that is missed because of a foul isn't counted as an assist.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-03-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #1262
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
If you added the FTs to it, I'd bet it would stay the same. Luka is an absolute monster.

Off topic: I don't understand why an amazing pass that is missed because of a foul isn't counted as an assist.
I've been saying this for years. .5 assist for each made free throw.

Also widen the GD court.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #1263
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://www.warmthebench.com/luka-doncic-free-throws/

Luka is now outshooting playoff Steph Curry from three

He's also worse shooting FTs than playoff Shaq
Old 06-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #1264
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://www.warmthebench.com/luka-doncic-free-throws/

Luka is now outshooting playoff Steph Curry from three

He's also worse shooting FTs than playoff Shaq
Old 06-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #1265
SMC0007
Guru

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/st...456988160?s=19

Old 06-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #1266
SMC0007
Guru

Is Luka signing his rookie extension this summer?

Old 06-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #1267
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Is Luka signing his rookie extension this summer?
Per Luka: "You know the answer to that"
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #1268
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Per Luka: "You know the answer to that"
I thought that was his answer to when people asked is he looking to sign the max?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:46 PM   #1269
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I thought that was his answer to when people asked is he looking to sign the max?
AKA Rookie extension
Old 06-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #1270
SMC0007
Guru

I was the one who posted his response to that question on here. I am just looking for confirmation that it's going to be this offseason instead of next offseason.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #1271
Zeus

Quote:
I was the one who posted his response to that question on here. I am just looking for confirmation that it's going to be this offseason instead of next offseason.
Yes he can sign when free agency kicks off in August. I dont recall the exact date. He will sign and then the real test will be in Year 5 and 6 if the Mavs can build anything. If it doesn't look like it by the end of year 6 (his age 24/25 season) he likely will consider forcing a trade ala Anthony Davis.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #1272
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely offseason click bait - but here is the story...
Report: Luka Doncic Snapped at Mavs Exec, Team Concerned over Star's Future in DAL
by - JENNA CICCOTELLI, JUNE 14, 2021
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-future-in-dal

Are Luka Doncic's days with the Dallas Mavericks numbered?

According to Tim Cato and Sam Amick of The Athletic, "multiple team sources" are concerned about Doncic's long-term future in Dallas, though he "has a healthy relationship with the Mavericks organization at large."

But things aren't perfect, according to the report. In February, Doncic "snapped" at director of quantitative research and development Haralabos Voulgaris after a turnover, saying, "Don't f--king tell me to calm down" after he interpreted a gesture as Voulgaris telling him to do so.

Later, Voulgaris said his gesture wasn't directed at Doncic alone, but the incident "only worsened an already inflamed relationship between the two."
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #1273
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Report: Luka Doncic Snapped at Mavs Exec, Team Concerned over Star's Future in DAL

According to Tim Cato and Sam Amick of The Athletic, "multiple team sources" are concerned about Doncic's long-term future in Dallas, though he "has a healthy relationship with the Mavericks organization at large."

But things aren't perfect, according to the report. In February, Doncic "snapped" at director of quantitative research and development Haralabos Voulgaris after a turnover, saying, "Don't f--king tell me to calm down" after he interpreted a gesture as Voulgaris telling him to do so.

Later, Voulgaris said his gesture wasn't directed at Doncic alone, but the incident "only worsened an already inflamed relationship between the two."
Old 06-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #1274
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post

I don't think it's offseason clickbait after our GM told Luka that he needs to pass more. Looks like such idiotic comments might come from that moneyball guy.

I mean, good god, we're still on with this analytics moneyball crap? That's exactly how you get to Luka and a bunch of B level talent. But, but, but, look at the advanced stats! lol. Yikes.

The entire FO needs an overhaul.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-14-2021 at 11:23 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #1275
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

agree whole heartedly DHWS.
and this from:
Travis Wimberly@TravisRW
Also, anyone who followed Voulgaris on Twitter knew the dude has zero people skills. It should come as no surprise he's grating on everyone. I thought he'd be strictly a back office quant, not literally sitting courtside making mid-game gestures to the franchise player.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #1276
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

agree whole heartedly DHWS.
and this from:
Travis Wimberly@TravisRW
Also, anyone who followed Voulgaris on Twitter knew the dude has zero people skills. It should come as no surprise he's grating on everyone. I thought he'd be strictly a back office quant, not literally sitting courtside making mid-game gestures to the franchise player.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #1277
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post

Does anyone remember the article posted about Luka snapping at Carlisle a few times this year on the bench.

Some said that was nothing but I'm starting to think Luka has a short temper and he could very well be frustrated with the Mavs overall

All these reports aren't just falsely made made up.....
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #1278
SMC0007
Guru

I canceled my subscription to the athletic. Anyone able to copy paste here?

I'm already annoyed at how many people are wildly emotional about the notion that we are going to lose Luka. I'd like to say that this will run its course until he signs the extension, but it's probably going going keep happening for years. After ever season.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #1279
SMC0007
Guru

DP

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-14-2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #1280
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

double post

Last edited by MFFL; 06-14-2021 at 07:11 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote