Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-28-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nash says 'must win' overstated

Nash says 'must win' overstated

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Steve Nash has a worldly way of putting things in perspective, and he did so again Wednesday in advance of Game 5.

He was asked just how bleak the Mavericks' situation is as they face a 3-1 deficit going into tonight's win-or-you're-done contest.

"There are a lot of kids younger than us who are fighting for their lives on the other side of the world," Nash said. "This isn't such a big deal. I feel pretty blessed being on this side of the world."

Keeping the playoffs in perspective is important, but Nash and Dirk Nowitzki also are aware that this is their livelihood and that they want to go out shooting. So far, the fact that the Big Three of Nash, Nowitzki and Michael Finley have struggled for much of the series doesn't sit well with them.

"It's hard to win when two of the Big Three aren't playing well," Nowitzki said. "But it's not too late to change that."

The Kings have put a dent in the Big Three's effectiveness partly because of the way they have played the pick and roll, Nash said.

"They've done a really good job of limiting us," Nash said. "They're sending an extra guy over [defensively], so that's made it tough on us."

That also means other players are having to step up, which likely will have to happen tonight to force a Game 6.

Ailing Jamison sits out part of Mavs practice

As a precaution, Antawn Jamison was kept out of full-court workouts Wednesday to rest his tight upper thigh and hip muscles.

The injury limited Jamison in Game 4 on Monday at American Airlines Center, but he has been cleared to play tonight in Game 5 and said he expects to be close to full strength.

Nelson: Mavs embrace must-win road game

The Mavericks didn't treat Wednesday like it was some pitty-pat practice. They ran full-court drills and worked out for about 90 minutes, almost a third of which was spent shooting free throws.

"We have confidence we can win in this building," coach Don Nelson said. "Nothing is impossible. Our only goal is to get it back to Dallas. If you want your must-win game, this is it."

The Mavericks were upbeat and full of life, a drastic change from Tuesday, when they felt like the life had been sucked out of their season.

"I don't think anybody on our team is ready to go home yet," said Antoine Walker. "Our competitive drive is back."
Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Nash says 'must win' overstated

Quote:
"There are a lot of kids younger than us who are fighting for their lives on the other side of the world," Nash said. "This isn't such a big deal. I feel pretty blessed being on this side of the world."
This is not what I want to hear from my pg that has been destroyed this series.

Quote:
"It's hard to win when two of the Big Three aren't playing well," Nowitzki said. "But it's not too late to change that."
?...It's too late to change that? It's really not...start playing well. This is a beaten team.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Nash says 'must win' overstated

Quote:
He was asked just how bleak the Mavericks' situation is as they face a 3-1 deficit going into tonight's win-or-you're-done contest.

Nash, everybody has his/her work to do, and his/her place to be. Are you going to play your heart out tomorrow or not? It would be a great way to honor those who are fighting for you, for letting you be able to play tomorrow; besides, some of them surely are Mavs fans and hoping that our team wins.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 AM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Nash, everybody has his/her work to do, and his/her place to be. Are you going to play your heart out tomorrow or not?
I have no clue whether he'll start playing well for a change (crosses fingers, knocks on wood), but Steve will play hard. Bank on that. He's always kept things in perspective this way and it has never interfered with his effort. For fans to question him that way is unfair and extremely shortsighted.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Nobody is going to make fun of another unfortunate Antoine Walker qoute?

He says the competitive drive is back. Thank goodness. But I don't know. I mean, I kind of expected them to have before this point.

Bless his heart, all season long I've listened to him struggle to say what he really means. At least, I think I know what he meant.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:57 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have no clue whether he'll start playing well for a change (crosses fingers, knocks on wood), but Steve will play hard. Bank on that. He's always kept things in perspective this way and it has never interfered with his effort. For fans to question him that way is unfair and extremely shortsighted.
Does effort equal focus? Doesn't matter how fast you run if you don't know where you're going.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:19 AM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does effort equal focus? Doesn't matter how fast you run if you don't know where you're going.
What's your point? Are you insinuating that Steve is spending all of his time pondering the misfortunes of others, blissfully ignorant of the team's plight? Somehow I don't think that's the case. And anyway, let's assume that Steve fails to keep things in perspective and goes out there and plays like his very life depends on getting the win. You think that's going to make it more likely that he'll play intellignetly and under control? Again, I just don't think that's the case.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:33 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

My point is that the Mavs are trying to accomplish something that only 7 of the last 157 teams that tried have accomplished, and our on court floor general is already trying to rationalize a loss. If your asking me if the attitude of a team (or player)has a direct effect on the level if it's (or his) play then my answer is yes. Based on the quotes and the reports of those around the team, who described the mood as funeral like, this sounds like a beaten group.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:44 AM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Based on the quotes and the reports of those around the team, who described the mood as funeral like, this sounds like a beaten group.
Go back and read the article, Dirno. Here's a relevant excerpt:
Quote:
The Mavericks were upbeat and full of life, a drastic change from Tuesday, when they felt like the life had been sucked out of their season.
And regarding what Nash said, that he was rationalizing a loss is one interpretation, sure. That he was keeping himself grounded so that he can play a smart game tomorrow is another. I would've thought you'd seen enough of Steve to know that there's more danger of him trying too hard than there is of him coming out flat as if he's already given up.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #10
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Nobody is going to make fun of another unfortunate Antoine Walker qoute?

He says the competitive drive is back. Thank goodness. But I don't know. I mean, I kind of expected them to have before this point.

Bless his heart, all season long I've listened to him struggle to say what he really means. At least, I think I know what he meant.
I think he means the "competitive drive" is still there.....it's very deflating to lose a game like that at home.

I would have rather heard AW just say, "We're going to win, there's no doubt about it on our team."

PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nash says 'must win' overstated

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Steve Nash has a worldly way of putting things in perspective, and he did so again Wednesday in advance of Game 5.
He was asked just how bleak the Mavericks' situation is as they face a 3-1 deficit going into tonight's win-or-you're-done contest. "There are a lot of kids younger than us who are fighting for their lives on the other side of the world," Nash said. "This isn't such a big deal. I feel pretty blessed being on this side of the world."
This says a good bit about part of the Mavs problem, and based on the comments from posters in this thread, nobody is buying Nash's schlocky rationalization. Maybe they shouldn't even be playing at all? Maybe they shouldn't be cashing a paycheck? Any burger flipper could say the same thing. The difference is that he'd be turning in his hairnet shortly thereafter.

As Chiwas points out, WINNING, or at least COMPETING, or at least SHOWING UP TO PLAY in the NBA playoffs is Steve Nash's and the Mavericks' unfortunate lot, and if he can't focus on it for at least ONE MORE GAME, well....then he and they are going to have a quick off-season to sit and ponder their "blessings".
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"Our competitive drive is back."
A. Walker

This is crap. If he can't have competitive drive at this point he MUST go immediately. What a effing yackoff.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:53 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair to Walker and his quote, one of the papers got it wrong. Here's the version from the FWST:

Quote:
"I think we're going to be relaxed," forward Antoine Walker said of tonight's plans. "We've got to stick to our game plan and try to execute it better.

"I don't think nobody on this team is ready to go home, so we're going to be ready to fight [tonight]."
Old 04-29-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

overstated? $#%#!!

i get the feeling that the game will be close for a few mins and then the kings will blow it open like the lakers did last night
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting huh? I think it's one of those lines to the tune of "I'd quit tomorrow if I needed to. Life's so much more important than your profession." He's really dodging the question by saying basketball's importance in the word is bleak in comparison to other things. Damn hippie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #16
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Perspective my butt. He's just avoiding saying: "I am getting severely outplayed, and because of that I will change the subject and question the importance of basketball in the world."

Yes, the people in Iraq are brave. But what does that have to do with basketball? I guess Nash always has had a way to play well despite his "perspectives" but this is a must-win game here and he's treating it like the playoffs are already over.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:43 PM   #17
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

On the surface, that's pretty depressing stuff to hear from Nash. Like I've said many times before, I want someone who's wants the ring so bad, it hurts if he loses. Someone who'll cry if they lose. Then you know that they want it bad. None of this, "we're blessed" shit.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:47 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

When I read it I thought
Quote:
boy is he going to get it on the board
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:38 PM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Dude, do you think Nash would be saying it's not such a big deal if he was holding the trophy right now? Do you think he'd be saying it's been fun, it's been wild with ups and downs, but it's such a small thing compared to what's going on over on the other side of the world?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:54 PM   #20
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

He had a bad fourth quarter, but for all of you who couldn't talk enough $#!t about Steve because of the quote in this article, my bitter side compels me to point to his stat line. 24 points, 14 assists, 7 rebounds, better than 3:1 a/to ratio. He most certainly didn't play like he wasn't taking the game seriously. Steve is not a franchise player, but everyone who questioned his competitive ethic, I hope you all understand how wrong you were and remember this the next time you see this kind of quote from him.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I don't really know what he would/would not do. I just knew he would catch it. Part of it is our need for our sports/politicians to "say the right thing" all of the time, even though we probably know it's just jock-talk.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #22
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

In Defense of Nash I would like to say that everyone can lose sight of the task at hand this year.....

with all the distractions and changes it's human nature to lose focus.....

this is exactly why winning a championship is so damn tough...everyone has to have tunnel vision and be completely focused....focused on winning it all....

Nash had injuries this year....had to adjust to a lot new faces....had to play more of a shooting guard type position at times this year....and play in a year he would become a FA at the end....lots of stuff.....

...but when Nash says that about winning a game....it's true.....life is more than that....he's totally sincere in that and I respect him immensely for that....
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #23
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
He had a bad fourth quarter, but for all of you who couldn't talk enough $#!t about Steve because of the quote in this article, my bitter side compels me to point to his stat line. 24 points, 14 assists, 7 rebounds, better than 3:1 a/to ratio. He most certainly didn't play like he wasn't taking the game seriously. Steve is not a franchise player, but everyone who questioned his competitive ethic, I hope you all understand how wrong you were and remember this the next time you see this kind of quote from him.
I'll go back to my original quote
Quote:

I never said Nash wouldn't play hard and do his best. I just didn't like that statement before a must win game. Just didn't instill confidence. I wish our main guys had a little more edge, but hey, you are who you are.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #24
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'll remind you of another quote, Dirno.
Quote:
our on court floor general is already trying to rationalize a loss.
This one sure sounds like you were questioning his competitive ethic. At any rate, a lot of people were doubting Steve's heart, not just you.