Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of
Default Cable or Satellite

I was wondering if anyone here can help me with a project that I have.

One of my resolutions is to cut down on expenses. I have a cable bill that is eating me alive and I was wondering if anyone here has any idea if it is cheaper to have satellite, Direct TV or Dish TV.

Also--is it cheaper to get DVR with the company that you get your cable or satellite, or to just buy a TIVO?

As you can probably tell--I am technically challenged.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

I have directv. I had dish but they wouldn't give me a free dvr as I was an existing customer, so I switched to direct. direct gave me a dual tuner tivo for free w/a year contract.

if you are getting a dvr (one of the greatest inventions of our time imho) go for the dual tuner. that allows you to record a program while watching another. you can actually record 2 channels at one time while watching one you recorded previously.

that is of course if there are actually two programs on at the same time that merit recording, which in todays world of TV is difficult to find...

my monthly bill with direct was $5 less than dish, and got a few more channels as well.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the verizon Fios package? (phone/tv/internet) Don't know how much it will get to in the future though.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I highly reccomend the rabit ears that we now use in our household. The price is right, at $0 / year, we have about 10 chanels, and basically my kids watch PBS-kids ( I occassionally download a Sopranos or something).

The only time I ever really miss cable/sat/dtv is the occasional sports program, but frankly I never get a chance to watch the ones on regular tv, so ... <shrugs>

I tell ya, though... the price is JUST RIGHT!
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Cable is the way to go for me, as I just like it better. I think all of the packages pretty much run together on price. What is $100 here is $97 there and $103 there, (yes, I have a lot of channels)! I have had DirecTV and several flavors of cable and that is my experience.

As far as just general cutting back goes, getting rid of home phones all together always helps. Cell packages are really reasonable and if you and your significant other are on the same plan you generally talk for free.

By the way, creating a budget really helped us. We put down all of our bills, (this includes any kiddo costs and things like food/gas), and income and figured out what should be left. It is astonishing how much less you have than you actually should have. If you then take the rest and force yourself to follow a budget related to meals out, fun, AND savings, you should do pretty well.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
I highly reccomend the rabit ears that we now use in our household. The price is right, at $0 / year, we have about 10 chanels, and basically my kids watch PBS-kids ( I occassionally download a Sopranos or something).

The only time I ever really miss cable/sat/dtv is the occasional sports program, but frankly I never get a chance to watch the ones on regular tv, so ... <shrugs>

I tell ya, though... the price is JUST RIGHT!
lol.. genius
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote