Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #41
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

But have you tried the WMV9HD variety? HD is where it's at!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #42
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMavsFan
eventually, windows just needs to be reformatted and started fresh again because it just gets god awful slow and unreliable. show me a mac that has this problem? you won't find it.
This happened to 3 out of 5 macs in our lab for the first few upgrades or so of OSX. Literally 5 minutes for any program to open up. That stupid icon would just sit there bouncing at the bottom of the screen. The solution? Re-install the OS. Good thing it was so much easier to reinstall than it would be on a PC, cause we had to do it so many times.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #43
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Well Mac has it's place in the world..... but for the price I would want sparks flying out of the dang thing.....

And Vista is quite an OS, I'm here to tell you. I can't imagine needing more from an Operating System.

NT has definitely grown up.
I keep hearing that Vista is riddled with errors. Is that true? I want to buy two laptops for the kiddos and the only OS available right now is Vista. I haven't taken hte time to look into it.

Good? Si o no?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #44
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, I think the assumption is that any new OS is going to have a lot of problems until the first service pack comes out. Someone above referred to it as "final stage beta testing" or something like that. It's been the case so far with just about every major release. The good news is that if there are a lot of problems, then everybody will be having them, and help should be easy to get.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's a running joke that Microsoft's Beta Tests are actually called "initial releases".

It's really not that bad anymore, but I personally wouldn't mess with it until the first SP.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #46
Drbio
Banned

Thank you both.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #47
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have had zero issues. You should also be aware that Microsoft has a large target on its head so the opponents of Microsoft will make a mountain out of a molehill.... knowing that the resulting publicity will be a win for them.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #48
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I have had zero issues. You should also be aware that Microsoft has a large target on its head so the opponents of Microsoft will make a mountain out of a molehill.... knowing that the resulting publicity will be a win for them.
This is definitely true.

I guess if I was buying a new machine that came with an OS loaded, I wouldn't have a problem with Vista. I'm just not going to bother upgrading for a while, there just isn't a real need.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #49
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Though not as heavily publicized (because of smaller user base?), the same things happened when my department upgraded to MacOSX - lots of problems initially, until mac released some upgrades.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #50
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Though not as heavily publicized (because of smaller user base?), the same things happened when my department upgraded to MacOSX - lots of problems initially, until mac released some upgrades.
It happens in every release, of any software of any kind of substance. You just can't duplicate everything in a test environment, or with a limited run of beta testers.

Any kind of large scale software, with major point releases, will have problems of some kind with the intitial release.

And you're right, no one realized OSX experiences the same problems because a miniscule percentage of users actually use OSX.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #51
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This is definitely true.

I guess if I was buying a new machine that came with an OS loaded, I wouldn't have a problem with Vista. I'm just not going to bother upgrading for a while, there just isn't a real need.
Again...I have not looked into it so I have 0% understanding of the offerings of Vista, but the other part of this equation is that I can purchase Vista for $5 here. I am not sure I want to do it though. I am very comfortable with XP.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #52
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, if you don't want to chance it with Vista, you could buy a pair of refurbed laptops from Dell. Those will almost certainly have XP on them, and they'd be cheaper to boot. Or, you could go my route and buy from Ebay. I've bought a laptop and desktop from there in the past 6 months, with excellent results.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #53
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This is definitely true.

Oh heck... of course not. Nothing wrong with XP at all... I am not upgrading my desktop at home until well into the future because of the possibility of bug fixes, stuff not working, etc... The only reason I run it at work is to get familiar with it and test our internal apps with it.

But if I were buying a new machine that came with Vista, I certainly wouldn't shy away from it because of that.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #54
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

If you are getting an older computer and thinking about adding Vista later (good idea if you can get it for $5) you have to look at the processing capabilities. I hear Vista comes with another exponential leap in resource appetite.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 01-29-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #55
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Im very very curious to see it.

I think I'm going to have the chance to upgrade at work, but Im worried about my Apache server and SQL server migrations. Im developing some "web-centric" (I hate that buzz word) applications with Apache/PHP and I hear that the configuration for Vista is all jacked up. But I also hear it works great. So who knows....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #56
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Doc, if you don't want to chance it with Vista, you could buy a pair of refurbed laptops from Dell. Those will almost certainly have XP on them, and they'd be cheaper to boot. Or, you could go my route and buy from Ebay. I've bought a laptop and desktop from there in the past 6 months, with excellent results.
Me too, purchased a Dell600 for about $500 bucks. I had to go that way to replicate the wifes' and mine so we could share the office dock.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #57
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Im very very curious to see it.

I think I'm going to have the chance to upgrade at work, but Im worried about my Apache server and SQL server migrations. Im developing some "web-centric" (I hate that buzz word) applications with Apache/PHP and I hear that the configuration for Vista is all jacked up. But I also hear it works great. So who knows....
Man, I'm always scared to death of upgrading development environments. I highly doubt they'll be letting us upgrade anytime soon.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #58
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

ha ya, my job still hasn't upgraded with 2k yet so I doubt vista is in the works anytime soon. plus vista requires quite a hardware increase to run.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #59
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
ha ya, my job still hasn't upgraded with 2k yet so I doubt vista is in the works anytime soon. plus vista requires quite a hardware increase to run.
NT4?

Netware 3.12 (just kidding)...

edit: Microsoft LAN Manager? (yes, really kidding now)

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-29-2007 at 04:11 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #60
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

i worded that really strangely but i meant that we are still on Windows 2000 and haven't even upgraded to XP yet.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #61
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
i worded that really strangely but i meant that we are still on Windows 2000 and haven't even upgraded to XP yet.
I was really hoping this was what you meant.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #62
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Who was your seller? I might check their postings.