Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 08-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default The CA legislature has too much time on its hands.

What a bunch of losers, politicians are the scum of the earth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calif. Senate votes to bar use of Redskins as school name

By Steve Lawrence
ASSOCIATED PRESS
4:01 p.m. August 16, 2004

SACRAMENTO – The state Senate voted Monday to bar public schools from using Redskins as a team or mascot name, agreeing with the measure's supporters that the term is offensive to Indians.

"Would you call somebody a redskin?" asked Sen. Richard Alarcon, D-Van Nuys. "I don't believe you would. Why? Because you know it's wrong. If you know you would not call somebody a redskin then why allow them to make redskin a mascot?"

The bill, by Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg, D-Los Angeles, was approved 22-10 and returned to the Assembly for a vote on Senate amendments. Approval there would send the proposal to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The legislation failed the first time it was taken up by the Senate, falling four votes short of the bare majority needed for passage on Aug. 5. But Goldberg predicted that absent lawmakers would provide the missing votes the second time around.

The ban would take effect on Jan. 1, 2006, but schools could continue using old team uniforms with the Redskin name on them until they wore out if they selected a new team name and discontinued using Redskins as a name for any school publications or on any marquees or signs.

Schools could also replace up to 20 percent of their damaged or lost uniforms with new ones bearing the Redskins name if they bought them before Jan. 1, 2008.

Schools that violated the bill's provisions could face lawsuits and court orders, Goldberg's office said.

Only five schools – Calaveras High School, Chowchilla Union High School, Colusa High School, Gustine High School and Tulare Union High School – currently use Redskins as a team name, according to a Senate analysis of the bill.

The bill's opponents said the decision on school names should be left up to school districts.

"I think many members have heard from constituents just how silly they think it is that we deal with a matter like this," said Sen. Roy Ashburn, R-Bakersfield.

Sen. Jeff Denham, R-Salinas, complained that the bill would force schools to spend money to replace logos and signs that would be better used for instruction. He contended students should be allowed to vote on whether to change the names, an amendment the Senate shelved the first time the bill was considered.

But the bill's supporters said it wasn't a trivial matter.

"Redskin is a negative term that offends Native Americans and it hurts," Alarcon said. "We shouldn't acquiesce to it."

Goldberg initially tried to bar schools from using a longer list of Indian names unless they had permission from a local tribe, but she scaled back the legislation when the broader version failed in the Assembly last year.

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: The CA legislature has too much time on its hands.

PC has gone too far. It is rediculous.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:The CA legislature has too much time on its hands.

as much as part of me really wants to see a school take the mascot "Inbred Cracker" or "Whitey", I gotta say I agree with the CA legislature.
If they want to name their mascot after a local tribe, that's probably fine. But I believe someone when they say "redskins" is offensive. Theres a good reason we don't have watermelon eating "Darkies" as mascotts.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

I thought CA had financial troubles
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
as much as part of me really wants to see a school take the mascot "Inbred Cracker" or "Whitey", I gotta say I agree with the CA legislature.
If they want to name their mascot after a local tribe, that's probably fine. But I believe someone when they say "redskins" is offensive. Theres a good reason we don't have watermelon eating "Darkies" as mascotts.
I'd pay money to see a team play called the "Inbred Crackers". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
I'd pay money to see a team play called the "Inbred Crackers". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
mascot
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
mascot
LOL. Thanks for the laugh. Looks like some of the "people" that I went to school with in Arkansas. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]