Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allright you computer nerds.

Here's the scenario. I have been filming my sets for 2 years trying to get one I'm happy with. Belive me it was frustrating. Good set, waitress ass in the way of the shot. Good set, Bad sound, Good set, talking in background. Needless to say when I finaly got a tape I was happy with, I was very psyched. Now I got to download it on my laptop, Uh-oh I need a Ieee-1394 card bus, so I orderd one and got it today. I go to install it and have gotten nowhere with it. I've been at this for hours trying to figure it out. Anyone with experience with here who can help me out? Here's the specs. I'm using a Dell 5150 Insperion laptop, It is a NEC 3-Port IEEE 1394/FireWire CardBus Adapter. I try to install, but the disk I got with it didn't have a driver just a trial version of ulead. Someone help me.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Find some sort of uniqu identifier for the card, i.e. model number, part number, something. You'll be able to find drivers for it online.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Find some sort of uniqu identifier for the card, i.e. model number, part number, something. You'll be able to find drivers for it online.
I can't find a driver to save my life. I'm starting to think I just wasted 15 bucks on ebay. Anyone know of a ieee1394 cardbus that is reliable?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

go to ms and search for your driver.might find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/upd...s/default.mspx
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
....Good set, waitress ass in the way of the shot. Good set, Bad sound, Good set, talking in background. Needless to say when I finaly got a tape I ....(
to help with this problem we're going to need a description of the ass. specifications, etc....
Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

*PAGING U2*
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
*PAGING U2*
maybe this one was too easy for him??

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Most Firewire cards are plug and play.... shocked that your's isn't. The fact that they didn't give you a driver disk would indicate that they are expecting it to be plug and play.

I did a cursory search on NEC's website but couldn't find anything specific. Is it just NEC chipset? Is there a brand name on the thing? Is there a model number? Part number? Any kind of identifying piece of information?

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-17-2007 at 02:20 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

U2 is on the case!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Most Firewire cards are plug and play.... shocked that your's isn't. The fact that they didn't give you a driver disk would indicate that they are expecting it to be plug and play.

I did a cursory search on NEC's website but couldn't find anything specific. Is it just NEC chipset? Is there a brand name on the thing? Is there a model number? Part number? Any kind of identifying piece of information?
Yeah, I found nothing on firewire cards at NEC's site either. Searching for products I found only NEC chipsets.

Remember, he said he got it from ebay. May not have been in the original packaging, hence no drivers.

But you're right, it should be plug and play. Could be a bigger problem.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-17-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

my card was a simple plug and play...no driver need (though it did come with one)...and if I can figure it out...

Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
rmacomic
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=u2sarajevo]Most Firewire cards are plug and play.... shocked that your's isn't. The fact that they didn't give you a driver disk would indicate that they are expecting it to be plug and play.

I did a cursory search on NEC's website but couldn't find anything specific. Is it just NEC chipset? Is there a brand name on the thing? Is there a model number? Part number? Any kind of identifying piece of information?[/QUOTE]
Not a one. In fact it doesn't even look like the one I ordered on ebay. Different sticker, different logo(which I can't even tell what says). I'm thinking I may just have to suck it up and go to CompUsa or somewhere and buy a more expensive model.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
rmacomic
Platinum Member

A few more details. When I first tryied to plug and play. I got a "New Hardware found" message. Then a some kind of "Error" message. When I went to add new hardware, It said the hardware wasn't properly working. I've had problems with plug in devices before like this and it usualy ment I needed to instal a driver. As this device came with a disk I assumed I was laking a driver. Now every time I plug said device in, my computer freezes.
I have done a ton of checks and updates on my laptop and am pretty sure it is running properly. I am about to send the thing back with a strongly worded letter. If anyone else has any idea about whats up. Let me know. Otherwise It's going in the mail on Monday.
Also thanks everyone for the advice, It's nice to know I have a few tech heads I can call on.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
A few more details. When I first tryied to plug and play. I got a "New Hardware found" message. Then a some kind of "Error" message. When I went to add new hardware, It said the hardware wasn't properly working. I've had problems with plug in devices before like this and it usualy ment I needed to instal a driver. As this device came with a disk I assumed I was laking a driver. Now every time I plug said device in, my computer freezes.
I have done a ton of checks and updates on my laptop and am pretty sure it is running properly. I am about to send the thing back with a strongly worded letter. If anyone else has any idea about whats up. Let me know. Otherwise It's going in the mail on Monday.
Also thanks everyone for the advice, It's nice to know I have a few tech heads I can call on.
Is the ebay auction that you won still viewable? If so, post a link, maybe we can find some info from it to help identify your card.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is the ebay auction that you won still viewable? If so, post a link, maybe we can find some info from it to help identify your card.
Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160063120719

Last edited by rmacomic; 01-17-2007 at 04:35 PM.
rmacomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Well, that didn't help much, but I did see that the item was listed as new.

If it came in its original packaging, with that CD, and it doesn't have actual drivers, then, as U2 said, it should be a plug and play device.

What happens when you plug it in? Does your Hardware Manager come up and ask for a driver location? Have you tried just having it search the hard drive?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-17-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, that didn't help much, but I did see that the item was listed as new.

If it came in its original packaging, with that CD, and it doesn't have actual drivers, then, as U2 said, it should be a plug and play device.

What happens when you plug it in? Does your Hardware Manager come up and ask for a driver location? Have you tried just having it search the hard drive?
That's just it. I did not recieve that item. I got a ieee1394 card. But not the one pictured.
Anyone know how to go about sending crap back to ebay?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
That's just it. I did not recieve that item. I got a ieee1394 card. But not the one pictured.
Anyone know how to go about sending crap back to ebay?
You have to contact the seller and work it out.

So did it not come in the original packaging?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #19
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
You have to contact the seller and work it out.

So did it not come in the original packaging?
I can't get in touch with these people. Get this, the packaging is a fourcolor glossy print box with absolutley no identifing marks, no phonenumbers, no adress, no barcode, it's slick but it sure looks like it was designed to c.y.a. It is definatly not what was pictured.

Also I just checked out your link... LOL, how long do the baddgers keep going?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I can't get in touch with these people. Get this, the packaging is a fourcolor glossy print box with absolutley no identifing marks, no phonenumbers, no adress, no barcode, it's slick but it sure looks like it was designed to c.y.a. It is definatly not what was pictured.

Also I just checked out your link... LOL, how long do the baddgers keep going?
Well, I would email them. Their ad says new, and clearly yours wasn't. If you didn't get the things listed under package contents, you have a good case to get them to help you out.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, this doesn't sound like a driver issue if you immediately got an error after plugging the card in prior to having your system search for a driver already installed with the OS. It sounds like to me you are having resource conflicts. What is the exact message given when you look at the device under device manager? To test, try disabling some different on-board devices in your BIOS when you first boot up, (modem, NIC, USB, etc), and then see if the device starts. Just a few things to try assuming a driver is not your problem. Like U2 said, firewire cards are almost ALWAYS plug and play for XP, (you do have XP, right?).

Let me know if any of this helps.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-17-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

mooooooooooooooooooooooooseknuckle!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #23
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
To be honest, this doesn't sound like a driver issue if you immediately got an error after plugging the card in prior to having your system search for a driver already installed with the OS. It sounds like to me you are having resource conflicts. What is the exact message given when you look at the device under device manager? To test, try disabling some different on-board devices in your BIOS when you first boot up, (modem, NIC, USB, etc), and then see if the device starts. Just a few things to try assuming a driver is not your problem. Like U2 said, firewire cards are almost ALWAYS plug and play for XP, (you do have XP, right?).

Let me know if any of this helps.
Yeah I'm using xp. I tried that after you suggested it. Boy did I get excited, hadn't even thought of it. But no good. I'm sending it back.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 AM   #24
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Hey my buddy Johny Millwater helped me get a clip up. It's not the best quality and I curse alot more than I would like but, check it out if you like.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1799375539

Last edited by rmacomic; 01-25-2007 at 01:34 AM.
rmacomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Wall of "we're not faggot" pillows

LMAO!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-25-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote