Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future
Default Is it possible to upgrade a laptops processor?

Recently got myself a new laptop with a Celeron M processor, was just wondering if its possible to change it into a Core 2 Duo processor. Anyone here with a little knowledge on laptop? Id really appreciate it. Thanks.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Recently got myself a new laptop with a Celeron M processor, was just wondering if its possible to change it into a Core 2 Duo processor. Anyone here with a little knowledge on laptop? Id really appreciate it. Thanks.
Memory and peripheral components like the hard drive, DVD, Keyboard, etc can be replaced but the processor cannot.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

I'm not a tech xpert, from what I've read in the past the question is: what type of motherboard do you have? some motherboards have the cpu soldered in rather than being removable, plus the new cpu may not have the correct fit for the motherboard to accept it.

more than likely you would need a new motherboard that will accept the new processor, plus there's a side issue to a new motherboard. the notebook was designed to cool itself with the original cpu. if you change to a new one, the new one may generate too much heat, and your notebook will continually shut itself down.

it's not as easy on a notebook as a desktop. good luck.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

what is the model of the laptop? generally speaking, it cannot be done but some do allow it. however going from a celeron to a core duo 2 will not be possible. they are 2 completely different processors. you'd have to get a whole new motherboard/processor and it would be cheaper just to purchase a new laptop instead.

Last edited by SeattleMavsFan; 01-28-2007 at 04:40 PM.
SeattleMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMavsFan
what is the modem of the laptop? generally speaking, it cannot be done but some do allow it. however going from a celeron to a core duo 2 will not be possible. they are 2 completely different processors. you'd have to get a whole new motherboard/processor and it would be cheaper just to purchase a new laptop instead.
Been hearing from alot of people. Thanks for the heads up.

Sucks how different a notebook is from a desktop in terms of customization/upgrading options. Will just have to wait unti I get myself another laptop.

Again, thank you for the information.

Celeron M aint that bad, or is it?

Old 01-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Been hearing from alot of people. Thanks for the heads up.

Sucks how different a notebook is from a desktop in terms of customization/upgrading options. Will just have to wait unti I get myself another laptop.

Again, thank you for the information.

Celeron M aint that bad, or is it?
no problem for the info, anytime.

generally speaking, a celeron is fine for normal use. but it depends on what you are using your computer for. anything fairly advance and it's just better to get a Penium class processor for the extra speed boost.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

celeron is something i have avoided all my life..
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

And someday I will too.