Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #321
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it's like we're all a bit traumatized by the loss at GS that snapped the win-streak.
I don't think its that, as much as it is the 4 game losing streak that the Mavs haven't snapped.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-10-2007 at 01:36 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #322
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I don't think its that, as much as it is the 4 game losing streak that the Mavs haven't snapped.
i understand, mary....

i honestly think the reason the mavs have lost to the warriors 4 consecutive times is just dumb durn luck.....like the bucks takin' it to the spurs too many times. that was then, the upcoming playoffs is a whole 'nother thing.

...all that, and I think rebounding actually matters in basketball (the gs w's are the worst rebounding team ever). they're a miserable defensive team, and they're really just about average when it comes to efficiency on the offensive side of the ball.

yeah, they can get and out and go, and they can jump a team on any given night. but 7 games, prepping just for them...no.way.

of course if i'm wrong about this i will never, never, never watch another b-ball game and you'll never hear from me again, so help me Jesus.

cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 04-10-2007 at 02:57 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #323
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

haha! I surely hope the Warriors can hang on to that eighth playoff spot!
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #324
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
haha! I surely hope the Warriors can hang on to that eighth playoff spot!
haha. me too!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #325
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i was thinking about this today and something hit me. The mavs are the teams these other teams want to avoid(assuming the avoiding is still in the playoffs). this team is good enough that we dont need to worry about who gets what seed. the 8th seed will simply be depriving themselves of a lottery pick and promptly be dismissed to watch the rest of the playoffs like everyone else. let other teams worry about avoiding the mavs, not the other way around. the mavs are the team to beat. bring them on.

all that said i still wouldnt be sad if the pismo beach panthers were our first round opponent
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #326
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

This is surprising, how many white players are on the warriors this year?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #327
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Two less than started the year, one would surmise.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #328
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
all that said i still wouldnt be sad if the pismo beach panthers were our first round opponent
Thank god we have Avery now instead of Nellie, or else that could still possibly be an upset!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #329
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Two less than started the year, one would surmise.
That's even more surprising then! Color me shocked!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #330
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think Nellie should forget all the previous law suit talk and we should have Nellie vs Cuban at in a steel cage during halftime if we get the Warriors. Cuban would probably get his ass whooped though I'm not sure he can fight.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #331
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Cuban would win because Nelson's guard is terrible.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #332
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Dubs take care of their business tonight--leading by as many as 42!--and the Clips lose a home game to the lowly Kings. These are two teams going in MARKEDLY opposite directions. Kudos to Nellie for having his team competing till the bitter end. They are probably still on the outside looking in...but with as bad as the Clips are playing, one never knows.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #333
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It's going to be close, I'm still leaning towards the Clips. Basically, the Mavs have to beat the Warriors for the Clips to grab the 8th spot.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #334
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! Nellie just said "Pismo beach Panthers" on the radio with Norm

Classic Nellie
Old 05-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #335
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
i understand, mary....

i honestly think the reason the mavs have lost to the warriors 4 consecutive times is just dumb durn luck.....like the bucks takin' it to the spurs too many times. that was then, the upcoming playoffs is a whole 'nother thing.

...all that, and I think rebounding actually matters in basketball (the gs w's are the worst rebounding team ever). they're a miserable defensive team, and they're really just about average when it comes to efficiency on the offensive side of the ball.

yeah, they can get and out and go, and they can jump a team on any given night. but 7 games, prepping just for them...no.way.

of course if i'm wrong about this i will never, never, never watch another b-ball game and you'll never hear from me again, so help me Jesus.

cheers
Please don't leave!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #336
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Please don't leave!
if I bailed everytime I said something which later proved to be incredibly stuid I'd have no place left to go.

the Dubs D was way, way, way better than I expected.....if you would have told me before hand that Dallas would shoot under 40% in four games i never would have believed you.

cheers
Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #337
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

This is by far my favorite thread on Dallas-mavs.com in years. re-read it from the beginning. Hilarious!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #338
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
This is by far my favorite thread on Dallas-mavs.com in years. re-read it from the beginning. Hilarious!
Tell the kitchen we're gonna need more crow.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #339
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so predictable
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #340
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i effin hate this thread
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #341
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson unsure about future with Warriors

By Greg Beacham, The Associated Press
OAKLAND — Coach Don Nelson isn't sure he'll return to guide the Golden State Warriors through the next stage of their resurgence.

And without their beloved Nellie, even the Warriors aren't certain they could duplicate the tantalizing promise they showed late in a memorable season.

Nelson plans to decide by July 1 whether he'll be back for another year with the Warriors, whose surprising playoff run ended Tuesday night with a second-round loss to the Utah Jazz. The defeat capped the franchise's first winning regular season and postseason berth since 1994.

"It's not a good time for me to make that decision," Nelson said Wednesday at the Warriors' downtown training complex. "I think it was really important that I came here. I'm not so sure it's important that I stay on."

Nelson, who turned 67 on Tuesday, went 42-40 in his first season back with Golden State, where he also coached from 1988-95. His 1,232 career coaching victories are the second-most in NBA history.

After snapping their 13-year playoff drought on the final day of the regular season, the eighth-seeded Warriors shocked the Dallas Mavericks in the first round, beating the NBA's best regular-season team — and Nelson's former employer — in six games. Utah beat the Warriors in five games, though all four losses were close.

Although Nelson signed a three-year contract to replace Mike Montgomery last August, he wants time to talk over his future with his wife, Joy, before committing to another year of the NBA grind, which gave him sleepless nights and added 15 pounds to his already ample figure. Nelson plans to relax on the beach at his home in Maui until his head is clear.

Golden State fans probably shouldn't worry too much, however. Nelson also said he plans to keep his entire coaching staff intact, and he spoke optimistically of the Warriors' potential for improvement with a full healthy season for the roster that finished the regular season 16-5 before flattening the Mavs.

Nelson plans to add his opinions to top executive Chris Mullin's ideas for the draft next month, and he'll decide his future around that time as well.

"I'm kind of anticipating coming back, but I'm just not totally sure," Nelson said. "Whether I want to put my body through another year or two would be the main issue. I'm not 66 anymore. There's another life out there outside of basketball that's very enjoyable, especially when you have the means that I have at this particular time in my life."

Nelson didn't tell his players or assistant coaches about his reluctance to return, so they all reacted with degrees of incredulity when they heard the news after wrapping up the most exciting, rewarding season in nearly every player's career.

"I don't want to hear that. I'm going to Maui ASAP to talk to him," said Baron Davis, whose 2½ years with Golden State culminated with four 30-point games during the playoff run — turning him into a folk hero among the Bay Area's success-starved fans.

"We love him here," Davis said. "He's the reason why we made the playoffs, and he's the reason a lot of guys are excited and happy about basketball. ... It would be a huge setback. It would be kind of like starting all over from scratch, rebuilding again. That's not the news you want to hear after this season. I want him back, and we have to have him back."

If Nelson departs, assistant coach Keith Smart would seem to be a logical replacement — but Smart anticipates another season at Nelson's side.

"This is the first year in my career as a coach that every day I looked forward to the excitement of learning something," said Smart, who spent 40 games as Cleveland's interim head coach four years ago. "I learned so much working for him, and I want to continue to learn."

Nelson and Davis combined to produce the Warriors' most memorable season in decades, but it wasn't headed anywhere special before Mullin swung the eight-player trade that ditched underachievers Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy in favor of Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington, who immediately became key pieces of Nelson's uptempo offensive attack.

Jackson's defensive intensity against league MVP Dirk Nowitzki also helped to turn the Warriors' first-round series in their favor. Both veterans will be back and eager for a full season under Nelson.

Though the Warriors' playoff run will be remembered for years, Golden State sees no reason it can't replicate its outstanding regular-season finish next fall. Nelson's offense finally clicked with a full roster of healthy players led by Davis' playmaking and uncanny knack for big shots.

But there will be personnel changes outside of Nelson's status as well. Backup swingman Matt Barnes is a free agent ready for his first big NBA payday, so he's unlikely to fit under the Warriors' slim room against the salary cap. Though Jason Richardson is a popular team leader, he was a frequent subject of trade rumors even before his inconsistent playoffs.

But with the cheers of their yellow-clad crowds still ringing in their ears Wednesday, the Warriors believed everything will be all right as long as Nelson is back.

"We had so little time to come together around the All-Star break, and we did it — we made the playoffs," said Monta Ellis, voted the NBA's most improved player. "I see great things in our future."
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #342
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Big Don isn't stupid...... he will be "sure of what he wants to do" as soon as that contract is extended and up'd just a few more million a year.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #343
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm not 66 anymore"

lol nellie you crack me up. That man is not done collecting his money yet. Not sure what he still needs more for though.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #344
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
... Not sure what he still needs more for though.[
There's a couple more beaches in Maui that he doesn't own... yet!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #345
alexamenos
Diamond Member

funny...I was kinda thinking there wasn't much the dubs could do to top this season, and if Nellie wanted to go out on a high this may be his best chance.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #346
Darth Ape
Banned

Nelson needs to come back and win a ring, but he's really already accomplished one of his major goals - fucking Mark Cuban in the ass
Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #347
bernardos70
Diamond Member

He accomplished this before this season by quitting on his team.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #348
SeanYo

SeanYo will become famous soon enough

It was fun watching Nelson get outcoached by Jerry Sloan.
SeanYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #349
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanYo
It was fun watching Nelson get outcoached by Jerry Sloan.
Most of the competent observers commented on how much fun it was to watch two legends of the game coaching against each other.

Ask Jerry Sloan how easy he thought he had it.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #350
SeanYo

Quote:
Most of the competent observers commented on how much fun it was to watch two legends of the game coaching against each other.

Ask Jerry Sloan how easy he thought he had it.
Oh I never said it was easy for Sloan, but I do find it funny Nellie adjusted to Sloan, while Sloan never once adjusted to Nelson.

Good coaches adjust, great coaches force others to adjust.

Last edited by SeanYo; 05-18-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #351
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanYo
Oh I never said it was easy for Sloan, but I do find it funny Nellie adjusted to Sloan, while Sloan never once adjusted to Nelson.

Good coaches adjust, great coaches force others to adjust.
That's a fair enough observation. But A) Nellie didn't adjust all that much--at least in the way you are thinking, and B) Sloan didn't have any adjustments he could make.

Nellie's adjustments were primarily tactical. He went after Williams and forced him into foul trouble. He played Biedrins more or less, depending on the situation. He gave guys more or less minutes, depending how they were playing.

But those aren't strategic adjustments. That's how Nellie ALWAYS plays. His entire system is much more flexible than Sloan's or Johnson's. Nellie doesn't adjust by dint of force. He adjusts in attack mode. Trust me, Johnson has a scar on his ass in realizing this.

And I still say that the Jazz got some good breaks in winning this series. If they run it again, Sloan might be at the bar with Johnson, tipping glasses and talking about what a tough racket this coaching thing is.

Last edited by chumdawg; 05-18-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #352
SeanYo

Quote:
That's a fair enough observation. But A) Nellie didn't adjust all that much--at least in the way you are thinking, and B) Sloan didn't have any adjustments he could make.

Nellie's adjustments were primarily tactical. He went after Williams and forced him into foul trouble. He played Biedrins more or less, depending on the situation. He gave guys more or less minutes, depending how they were playing.

But those aren't strategic adjustments. That's how Nellie ALWAYS plays. His entire system is much more flexible than Sloan's or Johnson's. Nellie doesn't adjust by dint of force. He adjusts in attack mode. Trust me, Johnson has a scar on his ass in realizing this.

And I still say that the Jazz got some good breaks in winning this series. If they run it again, Sloan might be at the bar with Johnson, tipping glasses and talking about what a tough racket this coaching thing is.
Sure Sloan could have made adjustments. He could have started Milsap at PF, pushed Boozer over to C and play using small ball. Instead he forces the Warriors into his pace and it hurt them more than anything because by the end of the game they were gassed. Why do you think in every win Utah pulled it out in the final minutes of the game? Because they controlled the pace just enough that the shots for Golden State stopped falling. If Utah had ran with the Warriors, we probably would have had a game 3 on our hands the entire series, meaning the Warriors would have rolled. This is what killed Dallas, Avery decided to play small ball instead of forcing the ball inside.

Utah didn't.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #353
chumdawg
Guru

Well, if Sloan had put Millsap in place of AK or Okur, I'm not sure he would have helped his cause much. In fact, I'm pretty sure he would have hurt it.

Again...it wasn't being gassed that cost the Warriors in Game Two. It was missed free throws and a dumb turnover. They sure weren't gassed when they took over the lead!

I'm pretty sure that if they play that series 100 times, the Warriors win half of them.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #354
SeanYo

Quote:
Well, if Sloan had put Millsap in place of AK or Okur, I'm not sure he would have helped his cause much. In fact, I'm pretty sure he would have hurt it.

Again...it wasn't being gassed that cost the Warriors in Game Two. It was missed free throws and a dumb turnover. They sure weren't gassed when they took over the lead!

I'm pretty sure that if they play that series 100 times, the Warriors win half of them.
Maybe so, but they didn't.

And I do believe missing those free throws were because of being tired by not only Utah's physical play, but their come back. I mean when the game went into OT, Utah dominated.

No matter how you look at it, Utah won 4-1, Dallas lost 2-4. The Jazz got a win in Oakland, no one thought that would ever be possible.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #355
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, I don't think there's any question GSW kicked the crap out of us way worse than Utah beat them. In fact, Utah beat them almost like Sacto beat us in '04. Both series were way, way closer than they looked.

I disagree with you that fatigue caused free throw misses and oh-so-close turnovers in the final minute. Rather, I think it was just one of those things.

It's why you still have to play the games.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #356
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie's style isn't built for the playoffs.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote