Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Sneakers for only $15? Now, that's a big assist

Sneakers for only $15? Now, that's a big assist

Q&A | STEPHON MARBURY

By JOE GARZA
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Stephon Marbury says his Starbury sneakers, shown in inset, are just as good as hundred dollar shoes, but cost only $14.98.

New York Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury made waves in August 2006 with the release of his first line of Starbury basketball shoes, which retailed for $14.98. The line was such a success that the two-time All-Star is back with a new line of Starbury sneakers, which was released Monday and is available at Steve & Barry's department stores (located in The Parks at Arlington and Grapevine Mills malls). The shoes, which Marbury wears during games and Chicago Bulls All-Star center Ben Wallace endorses, are still $14.98. Marbury, 30, took some time recently to answer a few questions about the sneaker world and life in the NBA.

Are your shoes getting support from other players? A lot of the players think it's cool what I'm doing. They grew up like me, in a family without a lot of money, so they know what it's like to want the latest sneakers and have your parents say you can't have them until your birthday.

Did you wear and test a lot of the shoe prototypes to get a fit and feel you liked? I was involved in every aspect of the design of the shoe, from how it looks to how it should be built to give me the performance I need on the court. I worked on the design of the shoes with a firm called Rocketfish, which was founded by a couple of guys who used to work at Nike and now design shoes for all the big companies. They listen to everything I have to say about the look of the shoes and what I need them to do for me on the court as far as quality.

What's the biggest change you've noticed in players since you've come into the league? How are rookies different? Not a lot has changed, to be honest with you. Rookies still carry the bags to the bus.

What accomplishments on the court are you most proud of? I think I've grown as a player and as a man every year in the league. This year, [the Knicks] came into the season with a lot of questions about us, but we knew we had great talent, and I'm proud to help play a leadership role in helping improve the team. [The Knicks are battling for a playoff spot in the East.]

For more information on the Starbury line of shoes, visit starbury.com.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
mffl03

mffl03 will become famous soon enough

I bought some the other day over at Steve and Barry's off 635 in Valley View Mall? Ghetto mall if you don't mind me saying.

I got the last solid black shoes in the whole store, but they were supposed to be getting more styles the next day.

I'll hold off on the new styles and see how these work out.

I haven't balled with em yet, or ran with them for that matter. But I wanted to go back and get a good pair for Rain Days. I hate it when a pair of regular shoes get soaked.
mffl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

its pretty cool...

prices are crazy these days...such a rip off
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I think we had a thread on this before, but again, that is a very cool move by Marbury. I hear that they are actually pretty good basketball shoes. Just proves of course that there's no reason for any kicks to cost over $100, much less $200 that I hear about..

Of course, I rock Chuck Taylors though, so what do I know.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I wanna see Ben's shoes

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
mffl03

mffl03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
I think we had a thread on this before, but again, that is a very cool move by Marbury. I hear that they are actually pretty good basketball shoes. Just proves of course that there's no reason for any kicks to cost over $100, much less $200 that I hear about..

Of course, I rock Chuck Taylors though, so what do I know.

I thought having chuck taylors was passe now....hmmm
mffl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

great stuff...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.starbury.com/

The shoes were on Oprah today so they should EXPLODE in popularity (please don't ask why I was watching Oprah)
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

ya this is awesome and I will be picking up a pair as soon as i have $15 lol (yes I'm hella poor).
Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
http://www.starbury.com/

The shoes were on Oprah today so they should EXPLODE in popularity (please don't ask why I was watching Oprah)
The answer is always because someone had a gun pointed to your head.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
The answer is always because someone had a gun pointed to your head.
Wife's version of "quality time" together
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote