Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default Rockets fire Van Gundy after 4 seasons

Friday, May 18, 2007
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...873&type=story
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was fired Friday, less than two weeks after Houston made yet another first-round playoff exit.

The Rockets went 52-30 this season but lost to Utah in seven games, raising the possibility Van Gundy was going to resign or be dismissed. This was the Rockets' third first-round loss in four seasons under Van Gundy.

Van Gundy had one nonguaranteed year left on his contract, meaning the team held the option to retain him. The team reportedly has contacted Rick Adelman, the former coach of Portland, Golden State and Sacramento.

General manager Daryl Morey scheduled an afternoon news conference. The firing comes days after Morey took over for the retiring Carroll Dawson following the Rockets' playoff elimination.

The Rockets said in a statement they talked with Van Gundy during a "prolonged negotiating period," and he was offered a position with the team as a senior consultant.

"He asked for, and was granted, additional time to evaluate his situation with the agreement that we would begin looking into other candidates," Morey said. "During that process it became clear that Jeff did not want to continue in any capacity with the team other than as head coach."

Van Gundy led the Rockets to a 182-146 record in four seasons. But Houston went 7-12 in three postseason appearances and more was expected from teams anchored by All-Stars Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

McGrady dropped to 0-6 in playoff series when the Rockets lost to Utah, which took advantage of Golden State's first-round upset of Dallas and advanced to the Western Conference finals by beating the Warriors in five games.

Van Gundy now may be headed back to one of his old jobs. He was scheduled to work as a guest analyst for ESPN on Friday night's playoff game between Phoenix and San Antonio.

Van Gundy was working in television when the Rockets hired him before the 2003-04 season. Before that, Van Gundy coached the New York Knicks for seven seasons, leading them to the NBA finals in 1999.

He joined the Rockets as the 10th head coach in franchise history in 2003. Van Gundy's career coaching record is 430-318, but only 44-44 in the postseason.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

good
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what happens when you lose a first round playoff series. Ahem....someone better be doing their own homework.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that's just bitterness because I don't think you're being serious in comparing the two resumes. It's not even fair..

COY winner
Back to back 60 win seasons
Franchise-record 67 win season
Franchise-first Finals appearance
Helped develop All-Star franchise player into a MVP

vs what?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Record in last two series. Both 0-2. Let's say for the sake of argument that the mavs get bounced again next year in the first. What is your opinion then?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-19-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Then yeah, may be time to hit the drawing board and Avery may be sacrificed. However, let's be honest, if the Mavs get bounced for in round one next year, the general opinion of the whole team and franchise is spiraling then.

Still, as of today, not even in the same ball park. Let's be fair.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

I guess rabbit. You do realize that the 6th best team in the history of the nba just lost their first round playoff series right?

I mean it really doesn't get much worse than that does it?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #8
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Winning 52 games after all the games missed by Yao and TMac, I thought he deserved the COY this year!

But, I guess, when you lose a Game 7 at home... it's always tough. Also, I thought he somehow mishandled Bonzi... who could have been very useful against Utah. They needed that 3rd scorer!

Anyway, Rockets are a tough divisional opponent... any turmoil in their team can't be anything but good for us!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

dude,

Gotta say the last two summers have had pretty miserable endings and a third strike would make us question gravity itself.

Still, we've had some hard luck and I hate to pile things on one guy when the whole organization runs into brick walls. Keeping positive for now.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
dude,

Gotta say the last two summers have had pretty miserable endings and a third strike would make us question gravity itself.

Still, we've had some hard luck and I hate to pile things on one guy when the whole organization runs into brick walls. Keeping positive for now.
yea me too, but as I said, avery better be doing his homework because when you don't win first round series...well...bad things happen.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Winning 52 games after all the games missed by Yao and TMac, I thought he deserved the COY this year!

But, I guess, when you lose a Game 7 at home... it's always tough. Also, I thought he somehow mishandled Bonzi... who could have been very useful against Utah. They needed that 3rd scorer!

Anyway, Rockets are a tough divisional opponent... any turmoil in their team can't be anything but good for us!

I agree with your jvg comments. In addition, I will say that jvg would NOT develop young talent...like the european pro vspan, Novak(3pt machine), Kirk Snyder etc.......he felt that the old and cripple vets were the ONLY way to go and the mavs exposed our role player's lack of youth and athleticism 2 yrs ago. The talk is Rick Adelman will come into town and run his offense thru the 5:

Having Adelman keep Yao at the high post will:

1. utilize his shooting range
2. utilize his passing ability
3. hide his (current) lack of speed
4. hide his (current) lack of handles/turnovers
5. take a lot of playmaking pressure off t-mac
6. allow the backdoor to be open for cutters
7.Mix it up with Yao's dominance down low

however, at the same time, it will limit Yao's paint/post points and his dominance inside (since he won't be there as much).

Also, we're going to need one hell of a defensive assistant coach because Adelman's defense's weren't always impressive. Also, I think Adelman offense means more playing time for Span n Novak and i have really high expectations for both these players. I would understand less playing time for Span because of his turnovers but JVG completely shut him out and never utilized Novaks deadly 3-pt shooting skills. And i like how Adelman used almost all his players and had decent bench production with the Kings.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
I hope that's just bitterness because I don't think you're being serious in comparing the two resumes. It's not even fair..

COY winner
Back to back 60 win seasons
Franchise-record 67 win season
Franchise-first Finals appearance
Helped develop All-Star franchise player into a MVP

vs what?
Dude, Avery took over a very good team. The last two series have shown that he still has some improving to do as a coach. While I am very pleased that JVG is gone I do still think he is a good coach. Just a little too stubborn and has no offensive creativity.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote