Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Once again, Don Nelson has a Warrior's heart

Golden years

Once again, Don Nelson has a Warrior's heart

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Cigar in one hand, glass of wine in the other, the occupant of the Presidential Suite is winding down after a preseason game, on his balcony with Marina del Rey bathed in the moonlight down below.

A visitor from Texas is sharing the evening, although he's facing away from the harbor and the endless slips of private yachts. Don Nelson begins to coach.

"Turn around," he orders, "and enjoy this view."

Nellie sure is. Again.

Don Nelson, 66, spent more than a year enjoying life. Enjoying all that can't be done with shootarounds in the way.

Joy, his wife, rode shotgun for the Nelson Retirement Tour. He explored New Zealand, enjoyed a new summer home on Cedar Creek Lake and a new bar, and watched whales in Maui. Playing shuffleboard with Owen Wilson, playing poker with Willie Nelson, and a failed HBO pilot also helped eat up the 18 months bridging Nelson's coaching resignation from the Mavericks and resurrection in Golden State.

Everyone said he was coming back. Retirement be damned. Gregg Popovich half-joked during Nelson's farewell party last fall that it wouldn't be the last such celebration.

The coaching bug began to burrow into Nelson's psyche during March Madness. It didn't wane during the NBA playoffs and the Mavs' run to the Finals.

"I thought I might coach again after the year," Nelson said. "I wouldn't have coached during the year. The itch just never went away. It stayed all summer. I guess that was the start of it."

Enter old friend Chris Mullin. The president of the Warriors needed a spark. He needed to bring excitement back to the Bay. He needed to win. He needed a coach.

He needed Nelson.

But it wasn't as simple as just handing over the keys to the Warriors. Mullin had a few questions that needed to be answered before he could entertain any thought of Nelson returning to the franchise that hasn't made the playoffs since he left more than a decade ago.

Mullin asked Nelson: "Do you feel good coaching this team? Are you getting back into coaching to see if you could coach, or is this a fit for all of us? That's more pertinent than, 'Can he coach after a year off?' That didn't even enter into my consciousness."

Recharged, Nelson was ready to coach again. He had interest in the Golden State and Sacramento openings, but the Kings didn't call.

Mullin did. And although Nelson isn't one to shortchange himself when it comes to money, Mullin didn't simply buy the man he said "saved his life" from alcoholism nearly 20 years ago.

Nelson accepted a modest -- by NBA coaching standards -- $9 million guaranteed for three years. Sure, there are plenty of incentives built into the deal, but it's unlikely Nelson will approach the $5 million he made annually on his last Mavs contract.

So why would Nelson want to coach again for less money after living la vida tropica?

"Because I'm good at it," he said. "It's a hard job, and it's not hard for me to do."

Old is new

The Warriors last made the playoffs in 1994. Don Nelson had given up the fish ties by then, had watched Run TMC come and go, and was about to lose a power struggle with Chris Webber. He was fired after a 14-31 start during the 1994-95 season. A bitter lawsuit over money -- what else? -- would follow with Warriors owner Chris Cohan.

For all that went wrong at the end of his seven-year Oakland run, the Warriors were more right under Nelson than anytime since. The eight coaches gapping the bridge from Nelson to Nelson went 318-589.

Nelson knows he can win. He's second all-time in wins (1,191) in NBA history and has taken three franchises to the playoffs. He also knows he can make the game fun again.

"Developing a losing team into a good one is something I've done a lot of times," Nelson said. "I know how to do it. It's just getting it done. It takes time."

Golden State's players were ready for a change, having tuned out former coach Mike Montgomery. A Warriors official said Nelson immediately brought a measure of "discipline" to the locker room that was missing under Montgomery, a longtime college coach without any NBA cred.

"We already really believe we can win just from him being here," Warriors forward Mike Dunleavy said. "As the season goes on, I think we'll believe even more. He makes us feel good in situations."

There are parallels between these Warriors and the early teams Nelson had with the Mavs. It's debatable whether he's got another Steve Nash-Michael Finley-Dirk Nowitzki trio, but the offensive potential is there with Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy and Dunleavy.

"Nellie felt there were enough pieces and players that could play his style," Mullin said. "You know the way Nellie plays. There is a style and pace you have to keep up with, or you're going to struggle.

"As I watch these guys, I always felt they were capable of playing that way. My personal opinion is there is no one better at it than Nellie."

Davis is a big key. The temperamental point guard could flourish under Nelson, much as Tim Hardaway did with the Warriors in the early '90s.

"Blessing, blessing, blessing," Davis said of his new coach. "A chance to get back to being me and what I wanted to be in this league.

"He's the boss. I'm here to work, do what I'm supposed to, and I know if I listen I'll be all right."

The chance to work with Mullin, plus two other former Warriors in general manager Rod Higgins and special assistant Mitch Richmond, has given Nelson the feeling he lost with the Mavs.

"You would think with all he's accomplished and all the games he's won, he wouldn't be insecure," a close friend of Nelson's said. "But he is. Nellie needs to be wanted."

Nelson admits that.

"This job has been incredible," Nelson said. "I feel wanted and loved and welcome. It's the way the coach and front office should be. Mully and I, Higgy, Mitch, it's a 10 so far, and I would imagine it would continue. It's natural."

The Warriors (1-2) are not generally regarded as a playoff team in the loaded Western Conference. Nelson is ready for the bumps...and losses.

"That can wear you down," Nelson admitted. "Just dealing with the losses when you're coaching a bad team, you have to prepare yourself that you're going to have a lot of bad days."

Nelson did add one caveat.

"It's easier coaching veterans than kids, but it's more rewarding coaching young kids and watching them develop," he said.

"You know they're going to cost you games while they learn. You just have to accept that as part of the deal."

Coming home?

Don Nelson is back in American Airlines Center tonight, an arena he helped christen in 2001. He'll take residence in a bare-bones office without a leather lounger and window overlooking the practice court. He'll walk out onto the court through a different hallway and pace the sidelines at the other end.

He might run into Mavs owner Mark Cuban. Don't expect any pleasantries exchanged. The uneasiness between the two remains.

"We had a very bitter negotiation on my last contract, and it just never recovered after that," Nelson said, referring to talks in the summer of 2003. "We didn't communicate the last couple years and it wasn't as much fun doing the job. They made personnel moves without me knowing, so I thought it was time to step aside.

"If you don't have a relationship with the owner, it's time to move on. It's that simple. I like Mark Cuban a lot. He doesn't like me all that much. I have no problems with him, and he has a problem with me."

After resigning as coach with 18 games left in the 2004-05 season, and Avery Johnson's ensuing promotion to head coach, Nelson moved into a consultant role. One he was supposed to have through 2011.

Cuban called him the "godfather" of the organization. He felt more like the unwanted uncle.

"I was never used as a consultant," Nelson said. "Mark never called and he wouldn't return my e-mails."

Though he was still part of the organization, Nelson said he wasn't allowed to attend the summer league or board the team plane.

Nelson did attend one practice, at Johnson's suggestion, but otherwise kept away.

"It's not Avery, it's the ownership," Nelson added. "I just felt uncomfortable being around too much, so I decided not to be around. You know when you're not wanted."

The war of wills with Cuban appears far from over. Nelson has accused the billionaire of holding back $6.6 million in deferred compensation built into his contract with previous owner Ross Perot, and the last deal signed with Cuban.

Nelson agreed to defer a significant part of his salary, without interest, to help Perot's bottom line. Nelson said he received the deferred payments for two years before Cuban ceased.

"I'm being punished by the team I did a favor for," Nelson said. "I hope Mark Cuban comes to his senses and pays me the money he owes me."

Asked about Nelson's return and contributions to the Mavs' franchise, Cuban said: "I have nothing to say at all. He coaches the bad guys now."

Nelson was part of the Mavs' family for nine years, six under Cuban. Doesn't that mean something?

"It's not if you leave, it's how you leave," Cuban explained. "[Michael Finley] is a great example. He gave 110 percent every minute he was here and didn't leave by his choice.

"I will boo him every minute he has a Spurs jersey on, but after he retires, if he ever needed my help for anything, I would go out of my way to help him. My level of respect for Fin has and always will be as high as it can be."

Don't bet on the same with Nelson.

For others, Nelson's return is more sweet than bitter.

"The fans should really welcome him back," Avery Johnson said. "He's been a huge part of the success in helping getting this franchise back going in the right direction."

Nelson just wants to get through what he is sure will be an uncomfortable evening. He recalled getting booed in his first return to Golden State as New York Knicks coach.

"I don't think one person in the arena is going to boo Nellie," Johnson said.

Nelson also comes to town the same night the Mavs' Western Conference championship banner goes into the rafters. He knows he had a part in it.

"All I ever wanted to do was retire here and have a friendly association with the Mavs," Nelson said. "That seems to be impossible now.

"But I tell you one thing, I'll be the proudest guy in the area when they raise that flag."

MAVS LIGHT? Don Nelson's Golden State starting five is similar in style to his primary starters during the Mavs' 60-win season of 2002-03:

PG Baron Davis (6-3, 223), Steve Nash (6-3, 195): Both are dynamic performers who can do it all. The difference: Davis isn't always in shape or motivated.

SG Jason Richardson (6-6, 220), Michael Finley (6-7, 215): Richardson is a younger version of Finley: athletic, dynamic and more of a scorer than pure shooter.

SF Mickael Pietrus (6-6, 200), Adrian Griffin (6-5, 215): Quintessential dirty-work role players; Pietrus has the ability to be an elite defender.

PF Mike Dunleavy (6-9, 221), Dirk Nowitzki (7-0, 250): When Dunleavy was drafted in 2002, he was called a Nowitzki clone. Now in his fifth season, it's clear he is not.

C Troy Murphy (6-11, 245), Raef LaFrentz (6-11, 240): Undersized centers who can shoot the 3. Murphy is a rebounder; LaFrentz a shot-blocker.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

"But I tell you one thing, I'll be the proudest guy in the area when they raise that flag." - Don Nelson

<3 Nellie
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I used to like Cuban, but as the years go by, I dislike him more and more. It think it took a serious turn during the Miami series last year. There is nothing worse to me than a punk kid who doesn't respect history. Cuban is more than that, I hope, but sometimes I wonder.

Although picking the GSW game to raise the flag gives me a glimmer of hope.

As a loyal and devoted Mavs fan, Nellie was the greatest thing to happen to this franchise for a long, long time. His work for the mavs has brought much much more than his salary costs.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

This article reminds me how much I dislike Mark Cuban. What a truly sorry sack of shit he is.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

The Mavericks owe so much to Don Nelson for the team he created here. I'm glad the banner will go up when he's here, so he will also get to join in the moment, when the team enjoys what they accomplished last year
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThaMavsFan
The Mavericks owe so much to Don Nelson for the team he created here. I'm glad the banner will go up when he's here, so he will also get to join in the moment, when the team enjoys what they accomplished last year
true enough. however,

Im fairly sure that his emotional involvement in the moment is meant to go the other way
Old 11-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
This article reminds me how much I dislike Mark Cuban. What a truly sorry sack of shit he is.
Or maybe Nelson is more of a fraud in the public eye than you're willing to admit.

There's dirt on both party's hands in all of this. Don't act like Nelson was a saint his last year here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Or maybe Nelson is more of a fraud in the public eye than you're willing to admit.

There's dirt on both party's hands in all of this. Don't act like Nelson was a saint his last year here.
If Nelson is a fraud in the public eye, then the public has been brainwashed. True, Nelson's heart wasn't in it his last year. But this was a perfectly understandable reaction to how he was treated. Nelson was hurt and disrespected by his owner. He was shit on left and right by Cuban. He didn't want to be here, and I don't blame him!

Look at this from Nelson's view. He knows the owner is doing everything in his power to weaken Nelson's control over the team. He's dismantling the team he put together while blasting him in the press. Nelson loves this team. Loves the players, loves Avery, loves Donnie. But he knows he can't coach this team. Not with the owner being a baby about everything. So what's the best way out? I don't care how rich Nelson is, $5M is a lot of money. It doesn't make sense to quit. Cuban won't do the right thing and fire him. So Nelson figures out the perfect solution. The Mavs get a new coach who will be perfectly willing to be Mark Cuban's monkey bitch on a string, Nelson gets the money that he's owed. Mark Cuban gets what he wants... the spotlight all to himself. The only problem is that idiot Maverick fans can't get their noses out of Cuban's crotch long enough to realize that he's turned them against the best thing to ever happen to this franchise. Mark Cuban should be ashamed of himself for his behavior in this whole mess, but he never will admit his mistakes. And his fans will never admit he's done anything wrong. That's why there isn't much honor left with this franchise. It deserves everything that's coming to it.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 11-06-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I think Nellie needed to quit, but I think the way Cuban has treated him is deplorable.

Nellie deserves better.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Darth Ape
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I think Nellie needed to quit, but I think the way Cuban has treated him is deplorable.

Nellie deserves better.
He may have needed to quit. But again, it's easy for someone sitting on the outside to say he should have walked away from the $5M. I don't think I could have.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He may have needed to quit. But again, it's easy for someone sitting on the outside to say he should have walked away from the $5M. I don't think I could have.
No, that's not what I meant.

If I were in Nellie's shoes, I wouldn't have walked away from the money, either.

Cuban needs to pay Nellie his money. If not, he needs to have his butt sued.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
"But I tell you one thing, I'll be the proudest guy in the area when they raise that flag." - Don Nelson

<3 Nellie
That's great. If raising the banner during this game is meant to show up Nellie, it's an absolute disgrace on Cuban's part.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it matters if it's meant to show up Nellie or not, the fact is that he couldn't get these player to do what Avery did. If he's proud, then that's cool. I love Nellie, he's a funny guy, he gives good interviews. I'm just glad he's not the coach and the Mavs aren't playing Phx Suns ball anymore.

Cuban is being such a bastard about his money though. Pay that man is money.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
yeah. he only funded a team that appeared in the finals last year. what a sack of shit.

just keep in mind...no story is one sided.

i do love nelson though.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to take this moment to reflect on what a glorious evening this must have been for one of the two or three greatest figures in Dallas Mavericks history. To be treated like shit by your employer, for whom which you brought excellence to his franchise...and then to have millions of dollars stolen from you by that same said owner...and then to bring a lottery team into his arena on the night he hung the WCF championship banner that you spilled blood earning...

Well, that's a pretty good night for Nellie.

Also nice to see one of his old charges, Buckner, playing a big role in the game. I'm sure the greatest coach in Dallas Mavericks history will rest well tonight.

Way to go, Nellie. Some of us still appreciate the years and years of joy you gave us. I'd put up with ten years of that 90's-crap-Mavs-basketball just for one more season of you and your genius ways filling the AAC with hope and joy.

Cheers, pardner!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 PM   #16
Darth Ape
Banned

Avery can't hold Nellie's jock in terms of coaching skills. period.

If Nelson was the Mavs coach in that Miami series, Mark Cuban would be sporting a championship ring.

The worst thing that ever could have happened to the Mavs is Mark Cuban.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

3-point regular season win. Finals appearance. 3 point-regular season win. Finals appearance. Hmmm....
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Kiki, I think you were searching for the words of Bum Phillips:

"He can take your'n and beat his'n, then he can take his'n and beat your'n."

Thanks for participating.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Bum Phillips never played for a championship either.

Love ya Blue.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
Darth Ape
Banned

Nelson: Worst to First
Avery: First to Worst
Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Once again, the facts don't match up with the Ape's opinions.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 AM   #22
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Where's the vBookie thread on who gets a team to the playoffs first--Nellie or Avery?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Bum Phillips never played for a championship either.

Love ya Blue.
He was talking about Shula. I think Shula may have played for one or two.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #24
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
He was talking about Shula. I think Shula may have played for one or two.
Then the comparison to Shula implied by the quotation really wasn't appropriate was it? In any case, it wasn't parallel.

Because Nelson never took a team to championship contention.

Like Bum, however, Nellie was close a time or two, but couldn't quite ever get over the hump.

And like Bum did with Earl, Nellie kinda rode Finley (and later Nash) into the ground.

And like Bum did with Wade, Nellie tried to foist his son onto the league as head coaching material when he really wasn't cut out for it.

But ultimately, I have to agree with you---Don Nelson was a great contributor to the league, a superb innovator; one of the longest serving coaches in the history of the game never to get a team into an NBA Finals. Nellie, we salute you, and wish you well.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 11-07-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:48 AM   #25
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nelson: Worst to First
Avery: First to Worst

How exactly are you defining "First"??

Avery took the Mavs to the NBA Finals and Nelson didn't get them past the Western Conference Finals.

That is a fact. It is undisputable. It is not based on opinion.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 11-07-2006 at 12:53 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Then the comparison to Shula implied by the quotation really wasn't appropriate was it? In any case, it wasn't parallel.

Because Nelson never took a team to championship contention.

Like Bum, however, Nellie was close a time or two, but couldn't quite ever get over the hump.

And like Bum did with Earl, Nellie kinda rode Finley (and later Nash) into the ground.

And like Bum did with Wade, Nellie tried to foist his son onto the league as head coaching material when he really wasn't cut out for it.

But ultimately, I have to agree with you---Don Nelson was a great contributor to the league, a superb innovator; one of the longest serving coaches in the history of the game never to get a team into an NBA Finals. Nellie, we salute you, and wish you well.
Nice try, darlin'.

Clearly I was equating your bumblin', stumblin' words with the uneducated-sounding yet poignantly accurate words of someone who has been there, seen it, and done that.

Someone who *knows*, if you will.

In case it's news to you, Nash is still playing. Finley, too. In fact, Nash won the Most Valuable Player trophy twice after Mark Cuban decided Nellie had ridden him into the turf. You will, I am certain, forgive me for not grasping this attempt at a point.

If I'm not mistaken, Donnie Nelson has yet to coach an NBA possession. But he is, in fact, regarded among the elite levels of general managers, with particular regard to his proficiency in scouting the international game. You meant to compare Wade Phillips and Donnie Nelson?

I'm glad we agree in the end about the contribution Nellie has made, and continues to make, to the NBA. I'm sure that I am looking just as forward as you are to the day when he is enshrined in the NBA Hall of Fame.

P.S. Again, sorry 'bout your Knicks.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #27
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Let's think about this... sure, in terms of general public persona, Nellie is way more likeable than Cuban. Nellie is your wise, funny uncle that drinks beer all the time, Cuban can be annoying.

Yet.. why is it that Nellie is so willing to share details of the falling out and Cuban isn't? Cuban is Mr. Outspoken. I dunno.. it's a sad deal because Nellie deserves to be revered around here, but you have to wonder why he's so eager to tell his version and Cuban isn't.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #28
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking that nellie has no part in all of this is naive. Nellie hasn't been fired from other teams because they all "hated him". He was fired because he wasn't getting the job done, or he got crosswise with management. Or probably he griped about money, sounds like his MO to be honest.

I have no problem with him griping about money, but I just don't believe he's a saint and every other owner are asses, doesn't work like that.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #29
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nice try, darlin'.

Clearly I was equating your bumblin', stumblin' words with the uneducated-sounding yet poignantly accurate words of someone who has been there, seen it, and done that.

Someone who *knows*, if you will.

In case it's news to you, Nash is still playing. Finley, too. In fact, Nash won the Most Valuable Player trophy twice after Mark Cuban decided Nellie had ridden him into the turf. You will, I am certain, forgive me for not grasping this attempt at a point.

If I'm not mistaken, Donnie Nelson has yet to coach an NBA possession. But he is, in fact, regarded among the elite levels of general managers, with particular regard to his proficiency in scouting the international game. You meant to compare Wade Phillips and Donnie Nelson?

I'm glad we agree in the end about the contribution Nellie has made, and continues to make, to the NBA. I'm sure that I am looking just as forward as you are to the day when he is enshrined in the NBA Hall of Fame.

P.S. Again, sorry 'bout your Knicks.
CD, just keep driving that banged up old jalopy of your perception right into that brick wall of immutable facts--in 30 years, Nellie never made it to the Finals; Avery got there in his first full year on the job. Gotta sting, doesn't it.

BTW, you are mistaken--Donnie has coached not only a possession, but a streak of about 20 games. It was he who filled in for Nellie post-surgery. But drivin' the old man's Caddy around while he's asleep isn't the same as running your own team. Donnie may well be top-flight executive material, but there's a reason he had the 'Little' in front of the 'Whistle'.

Keep writing, friend. I occasionally enjoy your absurdity.

P.S.: Don't cry for me re the Knicks. They will be the most entertaining they've been in years, if for no other reason than to watch Zeke's boys give it to him dry.

Huge boos for all involved at opening night in the Garden, chants of "RE-FUND, RE-FUND!" directed at Dolan, a Marbury meltdown of 1-9 shooting, with more turnovers (6) than points and assists combined (5).

It don't get no better than that.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #30
Darth Ape
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Let's think about this... sure, in terms of general public persona, Nellie is way more likeable than Cuban. Nellie is your wise, funny uncle that drinks beer all the time, Cuban can be annoying.

Yet.. why is it that Nellie is so willing to share details of the falling out and Cuban isn't? Cuban is Mr. Outspoken. I dunno.. it's a sad deal because Nellie deserves to be revered around here, but you have to wonder why he's so eager to tell his version and Cuban isn't.
1) Because he wants the money he's owed
2) Because Nellie is right and Cuban is wrong. Cuban knows it, so he's keeping his mouth shut.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

does Cuban ever talk about money issues?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #32
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1) Because he wants the money he's owed
2) Because Nellie is right and Cuban is wrong. Cuban knows it, so he's keeping his mouth shut.
hang out with cuban a lot, do ya?
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #33
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

hahah, yah there is no problem with money for Cuban, unless he would be giving it away wrongfully

that's why it pisses him off when people email him asking him for money and such.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #34
Darth Ape
Banned

I think Cuban's just ticked because Nellie got the better of him. He certainly has never shown himself to be a very good sport.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #35
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

that's kind of the way I see this....Nellie is playing the "I'm just the saintly ole man who did everything right now I'm the victim" bit, but I ain't bitin' on it.

As I understand matters....

Nellie was absolutely going through the motions in '04. It was evident to multiple parties involved, including Nellie, that Nellie needed to step aside and let Johnson take over.

So....Nellie's offer to Cuban was either a) pay me $3 million to step aside; or b) I'll continue to do a half-assed job coaching the team and you can pay me the $3 million you're contractually obliged to pay the team.

That is, Nellie's position was that he'd sell the team's best interests out for $3 million.

This idea that Nellie was always just interested in doing what was best for the team is horse-poop. The guy was ready to ride the team down to get his $.

cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 11-07-2006 at 04:12 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #36
david12sfa

david12sfa has a little shameless behaviour in the past

"....for the record, I have nothing to say about the finals. That was last season." Mark Cuban, 6/22/06 "

What does he have to say for this season? 0 for the year! Damn the Mavs suck. They need to bring Brad Davis back!
david12sfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

Boy, I'm not sure I buy the suggestion that Nellie wasn't doing his job in '04. As I recall, that was a pretty good team Johnson took over. I seem to remember a beautiful 5-0 road trip out West, where we beat the Suns among other playoff teams.

He may not have been real happy about it. Certainly he was displeased that the Mickey Mouse owner was meddling in personnel decisions and generally appearing to undermine the coach at every turn, but the man still did his damn job.

Last edited by chumdawg; 11-07-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #38
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Boy, I'm not sure I buy the suggestion that Nellie wasn't doing his job in '04. As I recall, that was a pretty good team Johnson took over. I seem to remember a beautiful 5-0 road trip out West, where we beat the Suns among other playoff teams.

He may not have been real happy about it. Certainly he was displeased that the Mickey Mouse owner was meddling in personnel decisions and generally appearing to undermine the coach at every turn, but the man still did his damn job.
They were 20 games over 500 before Johnson (bj), 18 games later they finished the season 34 games over 500.....the following season they made it to the NBA finals and Johnson was named NBA Coach of the year.

Obviously you're aware of all this, and only point out because what every talent may have been assembled on the team prior to Nellie's departure, that talent has unquestionably been put to much better use since his departure.

Regardless, I believe the undisputed facts are these:

--Nelson didn't want to coach anymore;
--Nelson expected Cuban to pay him for not working.

I think it takes some substantial juevos to cry victim when someone doesn't pay you not to work.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #39
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
So what's the best way out? I don't care how rich Nelson is, $5M is a lot of money. It doesn't make sense to quit. Cuban won't do the right thing and fire him. So Nelson figures out the perfect solution. The Mavs get a new coach who will be perfectly willing to be Mark Cuban's monkey bitch on a string, Nelson gets the money that he's owed.
*Monkey Bitch on a String*

That's a really interesting description of Avery Johnson, a relatively diminutive black man with a high-pitched voice...I don't think I could've come up with this phrase, personally.

I think *NBA Coach of the Year* is a more apt description.

Cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 11-07-2006 at 05:55 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #40
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
*Monkey Bitch on a String*

That's a really interesting description of Avery Johnson, a relatively diminutive black man with a high-pitched voice...I don't think I could've come up with this phrase, personally.

I think *NBA Coach of the Year* is a more apt description.

Cheers
In an NBA area that'll get your season tickets revoked but here it's just ape being ape or aexchange being aexchange.