Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer audition goes well for Adam Harrington

Summer audition goes well for Adam Harrington
Harrington uses spot on the Pacers' roster to display his abilities to other NBA teams.

By Sekou Smith
sekou.smith@indystar.com
July 22, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY -- Adam Harrington has been fighting conventional wisdom for some time.

Rather than building on a wildly successful first year at North Carolina State, where he became the first freshman in school history to lead the team in scoring, Harrington transferred to Auburn because he didn't like the Wolfpack's style of play.

Instead of staying at Auburn for his senior season, like most told him he should, the 6-5 guard opted for the 2002 NBA draft and never had his named called.

The San Antonio Spurs asked Harrington to begin working out in preparation for the team's training camp this season, but Harrington wanted to play summer league ball.

So he joined the Indiana Pacers for minicamp and earned a spot on the team's roster at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

"I just wanted to play, so my agent got something worked out and here I am," said Harrington, who has traveled the global basketball circuit in his pursuit of an NBA roster spot. "I'm like every other guy out here; I just want to play. I love the game and I want to be in the NBA."

Harrington led the Pacers in scoring the first two games but has seen his minutes and production slip since Luke Recker returned. Recker injured a hamstring early in the opening game Friday and didn't return until Tuesday night.

But Harrington isn't discouraged by something as simple as fewer minutes or a missed shot here or there. His confidence is high, too high according to some of his critics.

The fact he made Dallas' roster as a free agent in 2002 and then finished the 2002-03 season with Denver is all the proof he needs to know he belongs.

Whether NBA executives agree remains to be seen. Pacers coach Rick Carlisle likens Harrington to many others here: men chasing a dream that comes true for so few.

"He's shown some good things," Carlisle said, "athleticism, shot making. We've definitely got some guys on our roster that are certainly (training) camp players, either with us or in other places."

Harrington still has that invitation from the Spurs but is keeping his options open.

"I like Indiana. It's a great team with great coaches and a bunch of great players," Harrington said.

"I know they have a bunch of guaranteed contracts already, so I know the chances are slim. But that's why you take this opportunity to make sure the right people see you and see what you can do."

Harrington thought he had found his second chance last season in the Washington Wizards' training camp, but that didn't last.

After a two-month stint in China, he joined the Columbus (Ga.) Riverdragons of the National Basketball Development League in January. He was waived in March, though, after a dispute with the coaching staff.

Now he's here, a former McDonald's All-American who went undrafted hoping to find his niche.

"Well, obviously I think NBA personnel people talk (to each other) no matter what anybody says to the contrary," Harrington said. "And being a free agent and making the team in Dallas, that helped me out because I proved to myself and everyone else that I could make it the hard way.

"I believe in good timing and things happening for a reason. And like I said, it only takes one time for the right person to see you."

Harrington is hoping that time is now.

Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Summer audition goes well for Adam Harrington

THanks Evil. I always liked that kid for some reason. I hope he makes it. I'd even like to see him on the Spurs.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i never realized he left college early. why oh why? talk about bad advice.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Summer audition goes well for Adam Harrington

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
man, i never realized he left college early. why oh why? talk about bad advice.
BBL sounds like the advice was to stay in college according to the article, he just was too stupid to listen to it. I still feel sorry for him, because goodness knows I made my share of dumbass youthful decisions.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you gotta think someone was telling him he could have been drafted... that's what i'm talking about.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

BBL I'm sure there were some people, just not the vast majority. And I agree that those who advocated that he come out early were giving incredibly bad advice as well. Too bad he listened.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i totally agree. it was his bad decision. any bad advice he got obviously went to his head.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

last I read he's been sucking in summer league games- almost as bad as Jamison Brewer.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote