Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-26-2001, 06:16 PM   #41
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

I know first hand how it feels to be Shawn Bradley. He was born taller than most and knows how to play basketball

I was born more handsome than most and have my opinions

I just cant get anyone to pay me what i am worth
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2001, 06:21 PM   #42
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Kid- first off you are completely wrong about Dirk. We can sign him to the Max too, even if we are over the cap. Its called the Larry Bird rule. Second, Mark Cuban has stated several times that he doesn't give a damn about the luxury tax. That's why he is the NBA's best owner and a big reason why there will be a dynasty in Dallas soon.

Next year, we will sign Trent to a multi-year deal, freeing up use for both our mid-level and million dollar extensions. If we max out Bradley, that makes these exceptions much more valuble to a free agent. Take for instance someone like Antonio Davis, who is not a Max caliber player. He can sign the mid-level exception knowing that in a couple of years he will get maxed out by Cuban. We can use our million dollar exception in the same way on a player like Erik Strickland.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:24 PM   #43
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

LAM, how does the Juwon trade convince free-agents that Cuban pays his players? He didn't offer Howard the deal, just took on the burden. Juwon would have received his money if Cuban made the trade or not. With Bradley, people will see that Cuban will pay his players the big bucks even when he doesn't have to. I think thats got to be attractive to any free agent players.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:28 PM   #44
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

I just think Cuban was being nice or caught in the moment when he said he wanted Strickland back.
I bet he would take back what he said earlier this year when he said Eisley was untradeable,
I watched Strickland back in the sorry days of Mavericks history and wouldnt be sorry not to see him back.
He was ok. But out with the old and in with the new.
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:43 PM   #45
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

the same people onboard with Bradley getting the Max..wont be onboard when Juwan's deal is up & he's due 20-27 million per year....I will be right here to tell you that he deserves his Max too..But the great thing is there is still time in this year for Bradley to show you that he isnt worthy of Max Salary over Max years.....Btw, Antonio Davis is definetely a franchise type player....The Raptors future depends on Antonio Davis...this summer...he goes. ..Vince is surely to go..(Btw, Antonio is good as gone).....
Old 03-26-2001, 06:50 PM   #46
derek harper

derek harper is on a distinguished road

if i was bradley i wouldt except the money.
derek harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:51 PM   #47
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

jordan- You're in for a shock if you think I'm ever going to give a crap what any Maverick is earning while the Great Cuban's in charge...
Old 03-26-2001, 06:58 PM   #48
Jordan23TX

Mavinator....I fully accept the fact that we have the greatest new owner in the NBA....But just because Cuban has the money doesnt mean he has to "show them the money." Its going to become league-wide the moniker "Easy Mark" because he pays players whether deserving or not the Max.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:01 PM   #49
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should all keep in mind that the DallasBasketball article is pure speculation at this point and just one possible scenario. Whether or not Cuban intends to max out Bradley probably won't be known until this summer.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 07:03 PM   #50
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

jordan- Hahah, I would love for him to get that nickname- 'cause you know every player in the NBA would want to come here...
Old 03-26-2001, 07:07 PM   #51
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd didn't Vescey coin that nickname? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2001, 07:13 PM   #52
Jordan23TX

Yes Peter coined the moniker.. because of Cuban's insistance on throwing 3 million in on all trades. As you all know...Peter is a Cuban Hater & Mark has made a fool out of Vecsey on more then one occasion. Peter Vecsey is about qualified as your postal carrier. He is no NBA insider...guys dont even like him.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:16 PM   #53
djb
Administrator

Vescey used to include an "Easy Mark Cuban" comment in almost every one of his NY Post columns, even if it had nothing to do with the Mavs. The guy's such an ass.. That's why I hope that nick never sticks.
Old 03-27-2001, 05:15 AM   #54
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

As a league, NBA players are not overpaid. Simply because as a whole the players earn for the teams more than they are paid.

Bradley is a good person (even tho I don't think a lot of mormonism) so I say good for him.
Old 03-27-2001, 08:18 AM   #55
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

madape... i will hold back on any negative comments i have personally about your knowledge out of respect for other people that post on this board.
I know he didn't offer juwan the contract that he has. Mark Cuban is the man that is paying for the final years of it though. He did decide to trade for juwan in spite of the huge contract that he had. no other owner in the NBA was willing to touch the juwan howard because of the contract that he had. Cuban was willing to dish out the money, ...that's why trading for juwan sends a message that cuban isn't afraid to spend money when he thinks it'll help the team.

and no..juwan does not deserve anywhere near the maximum salary either. end of story
thanks
bye
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 08:59 AM   #56
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Every one is dead set on the fact that Cuban is going to spend all that money even on dirk. Madape, I know he CAN resign Dirk however I'm saying even as the owner do you think realistically he can justify paying Fin, Dirk, Juwan and Bradley the same amount? Cuban has shown he doesn't care about dishing out the money, NO ONE questions that (Getting fined over $300,000 says it if nothing else does)however from a basketball standpoint it makes no sense and Cuban is no idiot either. He can't justify that in his own mind. Like someone else said, that means in two years.

Also, if you really believe when that new arena is built that tickets prices won't go up, you're kidding yourself. Cuban is a great owner, but a business man first.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:34 PM   #57
djb
Administrator

Booth will probably be at the top of Cuban and Nellie's to-do list this offseason after locking up Finley to a max deal. You guys still think Bradley will be getting $6-8mil a year?
Old 04-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #58
TheKid
Diamond Member

No way, we'll see what Zhi-Zhi can do. Booth is slowly starting to play more minutes too. Regardless, they won't pay Bradley that much anymore, I'm sure of it!!!
Old 04-05-2001, 02:05 PM   #59
djb
Administrator

But from what's been said, Zhizhi is more of a jumpshooting 3 right now (like Dirk early on). So other than Booth, Bradley's really the only other natural center on the team.

I'd also still like to get Laettner back, but re-signing Booth definitely comes first. This kid's going to be something special!
Old 04-05-2001, 03:38 PM   #60
TheKid
Diamond Member

Do you really think I'm going to be something special??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2001, 03:40 PM   #61
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 03:55 PM   #62
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

hopefully bradley wants to play here really badly..because his paycheck is dwindling every time booth has a good outing
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote